jclosed

Dec 3, 2019
Let's not loose sight on what we are talking about here. This is about a visual novel and it has very little to do with real life. I think there is not a single VN here on this site that has any connection with a real life situation. As such the whole discussion is a bit moot.

This game/VN is meant to be entertaining. And the whole discussion around Frank is (in my humble opinion) more about the "fun factor" of the VN, than about the connection to real life situations. To be entertaining a VN has to avoid things like repetitiveness and copy-paste situations. There has to be a balance between telling a griping story, and going for a high dose of "reality". For me (again in my humble opinion) this VN is on the brink (and some would say already past the point) of loosing that delicate balance. I already made my points about that a few post back, so I will not repeat that again to keep things short.

Anyway - Of course Frank will not act like someone would do in real life. That would be very realistic, but utterly boring. Of course he will cross lines, and we all know he will do that. I guess nobody here will think otherwise. Why? Because we all know it's no more than fiction. The problem here is that the urge to be "realistic" is starting to damage the entertainment factor. You can use that hand-wringing a few times to kick home the feelings, but if that happens too often the "fun factor" can be damaged and people can get pretty bored. As said - I really love this VN, but there is only so much I can take before I start to say "oh - come on now - Again?".

Let's see how this VN develops. I still have high hopes, but I must admit the level is slowly decreasing...

Loxxxthenasty

May 1, 2020
Let's not loose sight on what we are talking about here. This is about a visual novel and it has very little to do with real life. I think there is not a single VN here on this site that has any connection with a real life situation. As such the whole discussion is a bit moot.

This game/VN is meant to be entertaining. And the whole discussion around Frank is (in my humble opinion) more about the "fun factor" of the VN, than about the connection to real life situations. To be entertaining a VN has to avoid things like repetitiveness and copy-paste situations. There has to be a balance between telling a griping story, and going for a high dose of "reality". For me (again in my humble opinion) this VN is on the brink (and some would say already past the point) of loosing that delicate balance. I already made my points about that a few post back, so I will not repeat that again to keep things short.

Anyway - Of course Frank will not act like someone would do in real life. That would be very realistic, but utterly boring. Of course he will cross lines, and we all know he will do that. I guess nobody here will think otherwise. Why? Because we all know it's no more than fiction. The problem here is that the urge to be "realistic" is starting to damage the entertainment factor. You can use that hand-wringing a few times to kick home the feelings, but if that happens too often the "fun factor" can be damaged and people can get pretty bored. As said - I really love this VN, but there is only so much I can take before I start to say "oh - come on now - Again?".

Let's see how this VN develops. I still have high hopes, but I must admit the level is slowly decreasing...
Bravo!!! Very well said dude!!

Reactions: GbolnHunter

PrimeGuy

Dec 16, 2019

Everything you say here is incredibly valid.

That being said, I personally disagree. I find it refreshing that every step on the path is a struggle for the MC with his original moral mindset, and that it's not just a matter of a switch being flipped. The inner conflict adds some spice for me, and hasn't gone into the realm of too repetitive. I like that the gains toward depravity are small, and that he fights against them tooth and nail. It makes it feel like more of an accomplishment when one of those moral walls are broken down. I'm pretty sure the corruption tag on this game is about the MC being corrupted, because that's what it feels like, and I'm enjoying it.

Different tastes, I guess. Here's hoping it doesn't wind up crossing that line too hard for you, where you get fed up with the MC resisting the change.

rostabu

Mar 8, 2019
no the lilith story was done back last fall,(liliths longing) but now we know there IS a becca backstory and an abby backstory Im guessing mei's backstory would be pretty boring just living above and working in her parents convenience store.

Reactions: felicemastronzo

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
will there be a second side story dedicated to Lilith?
why lilith? also beccy and abby can be shown in flashbacks.

no the lilith story was done back last fall,(liliths longing) but now we know there IS a becca backstory and an abby backstory Im guessing mei's backstory would be pretty boring just living above and working in her parents convenience store.
well never know what mei does in her room.

MrLKX

Jan 12, 2021
We already knew that there would be side stories about Abby and Becca. What we definitely know now is that the order is Lilli, Abby, and Becca. I think that's very good from a narrative point of view: we know that Becca has a hand in some of the events, and so the mystery can be maintained for a longer time. I think most will agree that the Becca story can be by far the most exciting side story, because of her manipulations and strings she pulls in the background.

In general, it looks like this to me:

Lilli: How she slowly realizes that Frank is the father figure she's always wanted even if he's not the person she's wanted for that role for much of her life. To a certain extent, one can also speak of a slight maturation process and coming of age for her in this context.

Becca: The manipulations in the background mentioned several times, possibly more exact details, possibly also how her feelings for Frank have developed. Also how she protects Frank from Shannon's machinations (see the divorce) would be an interesting insight.

With Abby, on the other hand, I have so far hardly any ideas what could be thematized there. What comes to my mind would be her emotional world when she finds out that Frank is not her biological father - I even wish for that a bit, since it's always amusing to see the former Lilli defending Frank. Otherwise also her different feelings and opinions about Meiko, her biological father, the inheritance and her new feelings for Frank would certainly be an interesting topic.

Still, I can't help but say that at least for me the Abby side story would be the weakest of the three stories, Lilli's story with its ups and downs and Becca's manipulations are more exciting or have the potential to be more exciting for me from a narrative point of view.

A Meiko side story I don't know how I feel about. There are definitely some interesting themes there: how Meiko's parents tried to set her up and she stood up to her parents for the first time, how little Abby and little Meiko became playmates, her emotional world after seeing Frank again, and her character development. And while these can be quite interesting topics, I don't think it really justifies the existence of a Meiko side story.

Tavi13

Feb 1, 2021
We already knew that there would be side stories about Abby and Becca. What we definitely know now is that the order is Lilli, Abby, and Becca. I think that's very good from a narrative point of view: we know that Becca has a hand in some of the events, and so the mystery can be maintained for a longer time. I think most will agree that the Becca story can be by far the most exciting side story, because of her manipulations and strings she pulls in the background.

Lilli: How she slowly realizes that Frank is the father figure she's always wanted even if he's not the person she's wanted for that role for much of her life. To a certain extent, one can also speak of a slight maturation process and coming of age for her in this context.

Becca: The manipulations in the background mentioned several times, possibly more exact details, possibly also how her feelings for Frank have developed. Also how she protects Frank from Shannon's machinations (see the divorce) would be an interesting insight.

With Abby, on the other hand, I have so far hardly any ideas what could be thematized there. What comes to my mind would be her emotional world when she finds out that Frank is not her biological father - I even wish for that a bit, since it's always amusing to see the former Lilli defending Frank. Otherwise also her different feelings and opinions about Meiko, her biological father, the inheritance and her new feelings for Frank would certainly be an interesting topic.

Still, I can't help but say that at least for me the Abby side story would be the weakest of the three stories, Lilli's story with its ups and downs and Becca's manipulations are more exciting or have the potential to be more exciting for me from a narrative point of view.

A Meiko side story I don't know how I feel about. There are definitely some interesting themes there: how Meiko's parents tried to set her up and she stood up to her parents for the first time, how little Abby and little Meiko became playmates, her emotional world after seeing Frank again, and her character development. And while these can be quite interesting topics, I don't think it really justifies the existence of a Meiko side story.
I actually thing Abby's side story has the potential to be very interesting. Nowhere near the roller-coaster that Lilly's was, but it could still be interesting. Especially since it would give us a view at what she is thinking about everything so far, as well as some insight into her thoughts about the whole situation.
It would also give us a view of what she went through with Shannon when Frank wasn't around. Thanks to the fast-food date, we know there was a lot that Frank doesn't seem to be aware of.

Might just be me, but I love character development (in all media forms). Makes the story more immersive.

I agree about Meiko though; I'm not sure there would be enough for a full side story....might be better to fill in her story through flashbacks/conversations with other characters.

Reactions: MrLKX

groudor

Feb 3, 2018
I guess the side story for Abby will describe her lesbian relationship with lilith in adolescence and her feelings about her mother, Shannon abuses and the sexual attraction which she must have had to repress toward Frank until the moved out in the old apartment
Becca's story will be her delusional sexual life in youth 'cause she is in love with Frank, her anger toward Shannon and the steps of manipulation that she have settled in the house until Frank is forced out by Shannon's cheating

Remember guys that are spin-off of a hentai game and they will contain always a certain amount of sexual content, no matter how much the true objective is the character development of the girl
This is the reason why we will never see a spin-off for Meiko even if she will be the fourth 'official girl' and the legal wife of Frank: she had no sexual activity until she meet the MC, not even the slightest so no smut scenes to fap on

stangnomez

Jun 20, 2020
I'm thinking that Abbys story will end with her own 'You're a dead man, Frank!' moment, with her finding out that Frank is screwing Lily and/or Becca, leading into the next chapter of the main story with Abby putting her foot down and demanding to join the harem.

I don't think that CNG is planning on a Mei sidestory, but I think one could be done. It would require some setup of Mei as a repressed freak, and focus on her using Frank as a way to start expressing herself. It would probably rely a lot on dream/fantasy for the smut (which CNG doesn't seem to have a problem with). Seeing as a Mei story would come after Beccas story, there would be time for her side story to take place primarily during the main story.

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021

Still, I can't help but say that at least for me the Abby side story would be the weakest of the three stories, Lilli's story with its ups and downs and Becca's manipulations are more exciting or have the potential to be more exciting for me from a narrative point of v

With Abby, I see it starting with her 18th birthday party, getting sloshed, and what happens with Lil afterwards. From there, it maybe touches on boys that she wouldn't let get to her mumbles, her developing relationship with Lil and maybe how her feelings for Frank evolve. For instance, did she peek at him in the shower a few times before joining him in it? How has she been interacting with Mei? Will we see that when she went to the morgue, she didn't throw up, but got freaked when she saw a dead old man with a boner that looked like her dad's? There's material there - you just see her as vanilla right now and can't figure out how it can be interesting. The purpose of the side story is to turn vanilla into strawberry. Or something to that effect.

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
This is a little too much for my taste.
I'm not saying that would be ideal - just a possibility of looks into her life that might flesh her out better, and the morgue scene is something from "outside" that could be better explored, especially if it were something other than what Abby described.

I'm guessing at least one of Frank's visits with Becca that get mentioned but aren't seen are part of her story. And Abby helping Mei pick a swimsuit is part of her side story.

Last edited:

Mmushy

May 5, 2020
I 'm hoping Becca's would be sweet; like what happened to make her believe that MC is the one for her, what made her start planning and what made her ok with "sharing"

• Red Heart
Reactions: Jace_Herondale

rostabu

Mar 8, 2019
I 'm hoping Becca's would be sweet; like what happened to make her believe that MC is the one for her, what made her start planning and what made her ok with "sharing"

Im hoping this since after all we all know becca is bestgirl

Reactions: Mmushy
3.90 star(s) 203 Votes