dwalsh

Jul 1, 2019
I think "good" is an understatement, but then again ... I love a slow burn. I am not sure the pacing is for everyone, but I have enjoyed the ride tremendously. Just finished the fourth novel last night and looking forward to next December for the last installment of this wonderful tale.
I happened to follow a recommendation from Henry Cavil in some short-thing on YT and was a little loathe to follow some celebrity recommendation, but him being the nerdy guy he is, I took a chance and ... well, amazing story!

Cheers - Kaffekop
Don’t miss the filler Dawmchant and Edgedancer. Wheel of time is a very very good series to read too. Not the Netflix……interpretation though.

Reactions: Kaffekop

dwalsh

Jul 1, 2019
Yeah, I can agree with that. Great series of books. I read it with pleasure from the first to the last book.
lol. Saw this after my last message. I’ve reread all 14 books twice.

Last edited:

dwalsh

Jul 1, 2019
In that case, can I recommend The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan? He's the one who inspired Brandon Sanderson to write in the first place. In fact, Brandon Sanderson was the one who was asked to finish the series after Jordan passed away (fun fact, Martin was also considered but Jordan's widow figured he wouldn't have time since he had to finish his own series first).
The first book, The Eye of the World, is very similar to The Fellowship of the Ring, as it is written as an homage to Tolkien, but it takes a completely different path towards the end. Basically, once the Fellowship leaves Rivendell to go to Mordor, instead of a right, they take a hard left and end up in Vietnam.

Just... just don't watch the Amazon series since they butchered it. Badly...
“Badly” you say!! That’s an understatement to end understatements. Most fans of Jordan agree though, I for one think it would have been better tried as an anime as the budget to build the world of WoT was clearly outside of their means. I couldn’t stomach it after the 3 episode. Have not tried again since.

dwalsh

Jul 1, 2019
I’ll stop after this, they don’t make them like Robert Jordan anymore. Sanderson is great no denying but Jordan was just out of this world. I started reading his books when I was in my teens and I’ve yet to find better.

Reactions: Kaffekop and Abhai

Kaffekop

Game Developer
Jul 23, 2017
In that case, can I recommend The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan? He's the one who inspired Brandon Sanderson to write in the first place. In fact, Brandon Sanderson was the one who was asked to finish the series after Jordan passed away (fun fact, Martin was also considered but Jordan's widow figured he wouldn't have time since he had to finish his own series first).
The first book, The Eye of the World, is very similar to The Fellowship of the Ring, as it is written as an homage to Tolkien, but it takes a completely different path towards the end. Basically, once the Fellowship leaves Rivendell to go to Mordor, instead of a right, they take a hard left and end up in Vietnam.

Just... just don't watch the Amazon series since they butchered it. Badly...
I was just coming out of His Dark Materials, which I found quite intriguing and was considering jumping on Wheel of Time before I bumped into Cavil (Not bumped into like ... "Hey mate!" - but that YT short with recommendations), and ended up with Sanderson. Now I jumped on Mistborn, hoping that it will be as good as Stormlight Archives.
But I will get to Wheel of Time after Mistborn. Thank you for the recommendation.

I don't watch TV-shows of novels I've read. Usually I don't watch movies like that either. I was very reluctant to go watch Lord of the Rings back in the day and I have to admit, that I almost left when Arven came out from Rivendell to safe Frodo. Had I not been with my, then wife, I would have left the theater and never looked at it again. When the extended versions appeared I got them as a present and my wife talked me into watching them with her. I was surprised to find them very well done all in all and I tip my hat to Jackson and Co. for caring for the legacy of Tolkien in such a gentle way.

I was actually psyched for Asimov's Foundation coming as a show, but ... yeah ... well ... I didn't make it past the first episode and now I absolutely stay away from these "adaptations" (butcheries is more like it). Same with The Witcher. I mean I actually made it past the first season but just had to ... I mean ... I don't even know what to say about the butchering going on in that show, despite Cavil being a decent Witcher.
Dune surprised me in a positive way and I am actually looking forward to the second part.

Anyways, rant off!

Cheers - Kaffekop

Kaffekop

Game Developer
Jul 23, 2017
Don’t miss the filler Dawmchant and Edgedancer. Wheel of time is a very very good series to read too. Not the Netflix……interpretation though.
Oh ... there is more?
Just started up Mistborn, but looks like I have to step back and get my hands on those other two.
Thanks!

Cheers - Kaffekop

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
I was just coming out of His Dark Materials, which I found quite intriguing and was considering jumping on Wheel of Time before I bumped into Cavil (Not bumped into like ... "Hey mate!" - but that YT short with recommendations), and ended up with Sanderson. Now I jumped on Mistborn, hoping that it will be as good as Stormlight Archives.
But I will get to Wheel of Time after Mistborn. Thank you for the recommendation.

I don't watch TV-shows of novels I've read. Usually I don't watch movies like that either. I was very reluctant to go watch Lord of the Rings back in the day and I have to admit, that I almost left when Arven came out from Rivendell to safe Frodo. Had I not been with my, then wife, I would have left the theater and never looked at it again. When the extended versions appeared I got them as a present and my wife talked me into watching them with her. I was surprised to find them very well done all in all and I tip my hat to Jackson and Co. for caring for the legacy of Tolkien in such a gentle way.

I was actually psyched for Asimov's Foundation coming as a show, but ... yeah ... well ... I didn't make it past the first episode and now I absolutely stay away from these "adaptations" (butcheries is more like it). Same with The Witcher. I mean I actually made it past the first season but just had to ... I mean ... I don't even know what to say about the butchering going on in that show, despite Cavil being a decent Witcher.
Dune surprised me in a positive way and I am actually looking forward to the second part.

Anyways, rant off!

Cheers - Kaffekop
Have to go down the fantasy road one more post. Are you saying Sanderson is of equal caliber to Pullman? I love a lot of good fantasy worlds (not the biggest connoisseur, but I have made my way through a few), but His Dark Materials is in a class of its own IMO. If you really think it measures up to that I might have to bump it ahead of the non-fiction in my reading list for the year. Are you giving Stormlight that strong of an endorsement, or this is just a sequential statement?

Reactions: Kaffekop

dwalsh

Jul 1, 2019
Have to go down the fantasy road one more post. Are you saying Sanderson is of equal caliber to Pullman? I love a lot of good fantasy worlds (not the biggest connoisseur, but I have made my way through a few), but His Dark Materials is in a class of its own IMO. If you really think it measures up to that I might have to bump it ahead of the non-fiction in my reading list for the year. Are you giving Stormlight that strong of an endorsement, or this is just a sequential statement?
Stormlight series is worth the read definitely. Wheel of Time is a must.

01 The Way of Kings
02 Words of Radiance
02.5 Edgedancer
03 Oathbringer
03.5 Dawnshard
04 Rhythm of War
05 Wind and Truth (2024)

In that order

Kaffekop

Game Developer
Jul 23, 2017
Yeah, we better wrap this up or this might turn into a book club :)

I always find it difficult to recommend novels to others as everything is a matter of personal taste, that said ... I do believe that if you find Pullman interesting I dare say that Stormlight Archives is worth the read. The length of the novels might put you off, but they are worth it. I am still surprised that I hadn't read them, but then again I thought they were young-adult novels and I try to stay clear of those, with a few exceptions like: Ember in the Ashes, Hunger Games or Maze Runner.

Cheers - Kaffekop

JosephCosta

Jun 8, 2020
This was one of the first VN Games that i played, and I even support the game on Patreon. I love the story and characters. I also love writing and started creating stories to make my own NV, how ever I'm like the Amish when it comes to computers and programming. how ever this game will be the reason that one day I'll hire someone and start creating games like this. KK you and you're game are an inspiration to me. any way, thanks for this wonderful gem you've created.

Kaffekop

Game Developer
Jul 23, 2017
This was one of the first VN Games that i played, and I even support the game on Patreon. I love the story and characters. I also love writing and started creating stories to make my own NV, how ever I'm like the Amish when it comes to computers and programming. how ever this game will be the reason that one day I'll hire someone and start creating games like this. KK you and you're game are an inspiration to me. any way, thanks for this wonderful gem you've created.
Thank you for the kind words.
I find it an honor to have inspired you to try your hands at something like this and I wish you all the best in making your dreams come true.

Cheers - Kaffekop

johnelros

Apr 10, 2018

Heya folks
Just a quick note on the progress of version 0.8. I am rendering the last two scenes today. Will do some editing tomorrow and then I will get down to putting it all into Ren'py.
Bar unforeseen circumstances, force majeure and the like, version 0.8 will be released sometime next weekend.
Thank you all for your patience.

Cheers - Kaffekop

4.10 star(s) 66 Votes