Tool RPGM SLR Translator - Offline JP to EN Translation for RPG Maker VX, VX Ace, MV, and MZ

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
I guess we need to find someone bored enough to feed SugoiV4 hundreds of Japanese texts with and without ~ at the end, comparing the ones that work, to find out whether or not Sugoi does actually adjust the "tone" of the text in a positive way, or if it basically just ignores it.

fantasmic

Nov 3, 2021
The main game I'm working on has a lot of sentences ending in ~, so I got curious and decided to run them through Sugoi and see if there was any difference. My sample size was pretty small (like, 20 instead of hundred), but I had some additional context since I know the tone of the game/characters.

For the most part, there wasn't any noteworthy difference. The majority of lines ending ~ were small things like "Beautiful~" so there isn't much room for context to really matter. Here's a small selection of lines which were different based on whether I included the ~ or not:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Based on what I saw and memories of ~ use in manga, I think escaping and re-adding the ~ would be best for both avoiding errors and translation clarity.

Reactions: Shisaye

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
The main game I'm working on has a lot of sentences ending in ~, so I got curious and decided to run them through Sugoi and see if there was any difference. My sample size was pretty small (like, 20 instead of hundred), but I had some additional context since I know the tone of the game/characters.

For the most part, there wasn't any noteworthy difference. The majority of lines ending ~ were small things like "Beautiful~" so there isn't much room for context to really matter. Here's a small selection of lines which were different based on whether I included the ~ or not:

Based on what I saw and memories of ~ use in manga, I think escaping and re-adding the ~ would be best for both avoiding errors and translation clarity.
Hm... I'm not entirely convinced by the re-adding part though.
Are you sure the average person is actually getting a benefit from seemingly random sentences having ~ at the end?
I mean I think everyone understands stuff like heart emojis, but I'm not sure how many people see a meaning in ~.

Entai2965

Jan 12, 2020
Are you sure the average person is actually getting a benefit from seemingly random sentences having ~ at the end?
It is a more accurate translation with ~ at the end if it was present in the source. There is no point in adding translation errors needlessly. If the message is not conveyed accurately, then it is the writer or reader's fault. The translator should not interfere in that process needlessly since attempting to convert or later the meaning is too subjective.

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
It is a more accurate translation with ~ at the end if it was present in the source. There is no point in adding translation errors needlessly. If the message is not conveyed accurately, then it is the writer or reader's fault. The translator should not interfere in that process needlessly since attempting to convert or later the meaning is too subjective.
But it has no inherent meaning in English because it is not an English character.
To translate it accurately I would have to adjust the tone of the translation instead, but apparently Sugoi wont.
To keep them in the translation is basically asking to purposely include grammatical errors.

Last edited:

Entai2965

Jan 12, 2020
But it has no inherent meaning in English because it is not an English character.
To translate it accurately I would have to adjust the tone of the translation instead, but apparently Sugoi wont.
To keep them in the translation is basically asking to purposely include grammatical errors.
If there was a grammar error in the source, then it should be in the translation too.

If you can't make sense of it, just leave it alone. There is no point in altering it. That is biasing the translation unnecessarily.

~ is basically an emote. Just leave it alone. The half-width/normal version of it is ~ . It is not an actual japanese character. It is just a thing some people add at the end of their sentences. ~ at the end is done in English too sometimes to convey the same meaning. If that meaning is lost, that is an issue between the speaker and the listener. The translator should not be involved there.

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
If there was a grammar error in the source, then it should be in the translation too.

If you can't make sense of it, just leave it alone. There is no point in altering it. That is biasing the translation unnecessarily.
If I don't specifically escape it, SugoiV4 will always remove it from the output.

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
Why when i use translate batch with google or Bing is slow? Its stuck on generating indexes
All MTL options besides "SLR" and to a lesser extend "Red Google" are just meant as a second opinion backup for individual cells.
The batch translator isn't really meant to work with them.

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
I've decided I will not escape individual Japanese characters at all, ever.
I made more tests with Japanese punctuation and while the crashes are annoying, it seems pretty dumb to completely remove a certain type of context for the AI (which might not even be SugoiV4 forever) just to avoid 10 broken cells in a 10000 cell project, which are detected by the error system and reported to the user.

I will also revert some of the changes in 1.077 and instead only escape the non Japanese second half of the double punctuation. (!?,.)

If someone wants to handle that differently they can simply add it to the escaper themselves.

Last edited:

Games&Games

May 7, 2023
Best Mascot Ever.

Edit:
SLR Translator has a lot of optimizations based around Japanese to English translation + the Sugoi Offline Translator v4.0 NMT model. The Sugoi Offline Translator v4 NMT model is included in Sugoi Toolkit v6-v8+.

Using SLR Translator in its intended configuration requires:
1) The Sugoi Offline Translator v4.0 model in either or in .
2) Software that can run that model on either the CPU or GPU.

The PyTorch/Fairseq/original version of the model and a small flask server to run it are available from the Official Toolkit (~6.5+ GB), but FOSS alternatives are also available here for convenience, reduced size, better performance, improved compatibility, added cache, added UI, transparency, stability, etc.

I went ahead and bundled everything together in a Sugoi-Repackage to bootstrap the Sugoi Offline Translator v4.0 NMT model + SLR Translator as fast, as clearly, and as reliably as possible. The Sugoi-Repackage is already included under AdditionalTools.7z\apps\Sugoi-Repackage-CPU in the OP. Just double click on the .bat to set up the software and then add the CTranslate2 format model to the correct folder to begin using SLR Translator right away.

Para obter notas mais detalhadas sobre o Sugoi-Repackage, consulte o , expanda o pequeno resumo abaixo, e também leia isto.

Edit2: This thread is to discuss SLR Translator. To discuss the repackage, please use the repackage or the Sugoi thread.
Hello, how are you?

There isn't a video explaining it or a step by step with photos to help you, because I'm a bit of a layman, but I also liked this translator much more than translator ++, it's much more practical and easier to use, now I'm just trying to learn how to use SLR, because it's translating, but it's very slow.

Ohh and another question: in which folders do I have to place the Additional Tools files within SLR Translator?