Tool RPGM SLR Translator - Offline JP to EN Translation for RPG Maker VX, VX Ace, MV, and MZ

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
Shisaye, would you be willing to add support for TyranoScript games into the SLR? I've been messing around with Tyrano games recently, and while the whole process is a bit scuffed (extract using external tools, make the project, shift over to slr, prep/translate/error-correct, shift back to T++, export as folder, further edit the files in N++, repack with external tools) it does work in the end and things would be a little more convenient if I could just stay in the SLR translator the whole time.
"Technically" you can just drop in the tyrano addon into the www/addons folder of SLR and it "should" work.
But using SLR for anything other than RPGM is not a great idea because the system doesn't make a difference at the moment.
Meaning if you use the prep and post buttons it will use hundreds of patterns designed to work with RPGM scripts on it, and even potentially delete cells based on wrong context.

"Technically" I already have a setup to make it check for engine before executing certain parts of the prep and post processes, but that is not used, yet, and not tested either.

I don't know a single T++ addon that actually works properly. They're all unfinished/broken.
And so While I could technically just add all parsers currently available in T++, the infrastructure is actually there, they would work the same way, It's basically just adding broken bloat.

I would need to fully understand a new engine first, make my own version of the parser with properly saved context, and then basically rebuild the SLR process for it, and considering I'm not sure how long I can keep working on this I don't really want to loose focus.
While it is working reasonably well now, it's not like SLR Translator is perfect for RPGM already. There's still some major issues with certain games using tes encryption for example.

Edit: Basically in summary I really don't like adding something to SLR Translator, for which I can't actually provide support. I mean if it's part of my tool and someone has an issue with it, they will expect me to fix it, and rightfully so.
I'm not Dreamsavior, who apparently has no issue whatsoever with keeping shit broken and ignoring complaints, while even getting paid for it.

Edit2: An even bigger issue is the escaper. While I have something to make the prep and post buttons work based on engine, I don't actually have anything for the escaper, yet. That based on engine would actually be a lot more annoying to implement.

Edit3: It seems like for tyrano no cell would actually be outright deleted, just the tagging would be wrong obviously.

Last edited:
Reactions: fantasmic

fantasmic

Nov 3, 2021
I get ya'. Tyrano support in T++ has some obvious shortcomings (such as the inability to export as zip or the way the parser doesn't grab the speaker's name), so who knows what else is wrong under the hood. I understand wanting to actually support your products instead of just slapping an "in development" on it.

The tagging seems to be working pretty well so far, at least in the "don't translate this stuff" sense. It probably helps that Tyrano games don't seem to mess around with or call scripts as much, and some stuff which could break things is skipped over by the parser in the first place. Editing is a lot more straight-forward than rpgm (you don't even have to wordwrap!), though decompiling and recompiling the game is more troublesome.

Entai2965

Jan 12, 2020
Shisaye, would you be willing to add support for TyranoScript games into the SLR?
I am planning on adding arbitrary engine support to SLR, including Tyrano, but the de-duplication bug/"feature" prevents that, so that has higher priority right now. Once that is fixed, proper spreadsheet support can be added which should allow SLR to process arbitrary game engine types seemlessly (excluding parsing logic). Basically, it is WIP.

Reactions: fantasmic

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
btw ho to change the font size? ah nvm
I was thinking about automating font size changes with the tool, too, but the issue is that barely any dev actually uses the standard dialogue.
I could try to make automation for the Font.default_size catchall stuff for vx/Ace in the Scripts, automate the standard system.json entry for MZ and the "most of the time" used pllugins.js entry for MV, but half the time it's not going to work, and I'm not a huge fan of adding features that constantly do not work.

sigitp

Apr 19, 2024
I was thinking about automating font size changes with the tool, too, but the issue is that barely any dev actually uses the standard dialogue.
I could try to make automation for the Font.default_size catchall stuff for vx/Ace in the Scripts, automate the standard system.json entry for MZ and the "most of the time" used pllugins.js entry for MV, but half the time it's not going to work, and I'm not a huge fan of adding features that constantly do not work.
well i just use and then upload the data folder then check on word wrap 1721028639251.png for now is the best solution to fit the font / change the font size [ after translating]

fantasmic

Nov 3, 2021
If we're sharing word-wrapping tips...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I prefer not to reduce the font or use a condensed font because my eyes suck, so I think this is a smooth first-option without needing to export 15 times. I feel like the system shouldn't work, but it usually just... does. Of course, it's best with more straight-forward games which aren't calling a bunch of display-related plugins in the text box. I've found RobotoCondensed-Regular to be a nice, readable font for the truly unruly games though.
Sometimes item or skill descriptions will end up with a third line which just gets left on the ground, but I'm cool with manually editing them down to 2 lines since I often edit them for clarity anyway.

Reactions: sigitp

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
To share my side, as I've written in the tutorial section (F1 menu), I tend to change the font size of Ace and VX to 16. That is because certain script based texts especially "addlog" usually have tiny boxes and just do not show up if the font is bigger.
You can't really wrap those entries because they cannot work with linebreaks, you can only create new ones and split the text between them, but that is really annoying to do.
And that is why I have the wrapping setup for a font size of 16 on the "size" shortcut.
(Dialogue will fit a standard text box with "normal" font almost exactly using that setting.)

It's not like I wouldn't want to wrap it tighter and keep the font big to have the dialogue box much better readable, but trying to edit every single plugin/script to accept a different font size than dialogue is really annoying, especially with custom scripts.

MV and MZ make changing the font much more easy and as such I use stint ultra condensed font with a font size of 24 instead, because to me that is much easier to read than normal font with a font size of 16.

Last edited: