Tool RPGM SLR Translator - Offline JP to EN Translation for RPG Maker VX, VX Ace, MV, and MZ

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
Quick Update. Managed to make it work by putting the translated files one by one and pinpointing the file that has an issue. Which is Weapons.json. Problem is when I don't put it in and put the translated js folder an error occurs similar to the picture I sent.
As you've probably noticed, the crashing cell in the "Weapons.json" is number 7 (id:4 in the json), "Leather Bow", which is coupled with the cell 966 in the "enc_lv2d.js" ('append' entry in the js).
If you translate both cells exactly the same the crash no longer occurs. (Tested with "Leather bow".)
I'm not sure if translating it actually does anything though, or if this is just an internal name.

Edit: I don't really know how I could prevent that issue in the future, because the problem is that Weapons.json entry is completely standard.
It's not actually tagged incorrectly. It's just this weird plugin scanning the entry, and in this case only scanning that specific entry.

The only thing I can come up with for now would be to scan for the existence of that plugin and if it's detected tag all weapon names yellow.

Last edited:

iYuma

Nov 17, 2017
iYuma Did you still include the translated enc_lv2d.js after excluding the translated Weapons.js? A SLR export excluding Weapons.js and without a translated enc_lv2d.js booted fine for me. I clicked my way through the prologue and didn't see any immediate issues.
Yep did that and its working now.. problem now is that something in the js files made it so that your crossbow doesnt deal dmg lmao.

iYuma

Nov 17, 2017
As you've probably noticed, the crashing cell in the "Weapons.json" is number 7 (id:4 in the json), "Leather Bow", which is coupled with the cell 966 in the "enc_lv2d.js" ('append' entry in the js).
If you translate both cells exactly the same the crash no longer occurs. (Tested with "Leather bow".)
I'm not sure if translating it actually does anything though, or if this is just an internal name.

Edit: I don't really know how I could prevent that issue in the future, because the problem is that Weapons.json entry is completely standard.
It's not actually tagged incorrectly. It's just this weird plugin scanning the entry, and in this case only scanning that specific entry.

The only thing I can come up with for now would be to scan for the existence of that plugin and if it's detected tag all weapon names yellow.
I see thanks!

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
Hm... what do you guys think?
Should I make it tag weapon names yellow when the plugin is detected, or should I leave them untagged, but make a popup window notifying the user that the plugin was detected and that it caused this issue in the past?
Option 1 would be better for users who just want a quick MTL, while option 2 would give more information to someone willing to fix it.

Edit: I could also do both I suppose.

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
I've released 1.082.
Added the yellow tagging and popups.
Also added a popup for another plugin (Sideview) that causes "Name" entries in "Skills" to be tagged yellow in a similar way.

Games & Games

May 7, 2023
I've released 1.082.
Added the yellow tagging and popups.
Also added a popup for another plugin (Sideview) that causes "Name" entries in "Skills" to be tagged yellow in a similar way.
Well what can I say, it happened again, he separated the Common Event file, a gray tag in three parts as shown in the photo, thus making the game break and not let happen what should happen, I send the photo and the file that is translated into PTBR, because it had already left the Japanese, but I will get the Japanese and send it later too.

This is of course without counting all the phrases and character names that goggle ended up eating because there are times when the character's name appears and no speech appears, then I go to check the data file and there where the phrase should be is blank. Too bad Bing doesn't work here for me.

The.trans file is in rar because the site doesn't accept this type of extension

Sem título.png

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
Well what can I say, it happened again, he separated the Common Event file, a gray tag in three parts as shown in the photo, thus making the game break and not let happen what should happen, I send the photo and the file that is translated into PTBR, because it had already left the Japanese, but I will get the Japanese and send it later too.

This is of course without counting all the phrases and character names that goggle ended up eating because there are times when the character's name appears and no speech appears, then I go to check the data file and there where the phrase should be is blank. Too bad Bing doesn't work here for me.

The.trans file is in rar because the site doesn't accept this type of extension

View attachment 3892971
I can't really do anything with that.
I need the actual original texts. Heck technically the entire original game so I can actually test the result.
(Although given the name I'm not sure that's even allowed here.)

With the limited information I have I would assume that the issue is that text with the noPicture/middle context is being displayed using a special plugin/script that doesn't allow for spaces or linebreaks, and you probably need to not just replace the spaces with non breaking spaces or _ but also remove all linebreaks for it to be written correctly. (Or rather replace the linebreaks with spaces.)

That is not really an issue with SLR Translator, but with this particular game using this particular setup.
The same with it eating parts of the text during translation, because again this tool was not designed to batch-translate using Google, and was definitely not designed to translate to anything other than English. Technically there's an option to use Google with the SLR system (Red Google), but that can only be used for Japanese to English as well and would not fix those specific entries.

To use this for a non English translation, I would first have to build a switch that turns off all jp > en based patterns and checks when the target language is not English and even then the result wouldn't be great.

Last edited:

Games & Games

May 7, 2023
I can't really do anything with that.
I need the actual original texts. Heck technically the entire original game so I can actually test the result.
(Although given the name I'm not sure that's even allowed here.)

With the limited information I have I would assume that the issue is that text with the noPicture/middle context is being displayed using a special plugin/script that doesn't allow for spaces or linebreaks, and you probably need to not just replace the spaces with non breaking spaces or _ but also remove all linebreaks for it to be written correctly. (Or rather replace the linebreaks with spaces.)

That is not really an issue with SLR Translator, but with this particular game using this particular setup.
The same with it eating parts of the text during translation, because again this tool was not designed to batch-translate using Google, and was definitely not designed to translate to anything other than English. Technically there's an option to use Google with the SLR system (Red Google), but that can only be used for Japanese to English as well and would not fix those specific entries.

To use this for a non English translation, I would first have to build a switch that turns off all jp > en based patterns and checks when the target language is not English and even then the result wouldn't be great.
It's the game that I don't think the people here allow, but bear with me, let's go with the file, I'm sending the .trans with the translation from Japanese to Portuguese, but I think it's like you said, I think it doesn't let you use the warp, because every time I translate it afterwards I click on the balloon to put the word "size" and then I export it, and then the next day when I open it something like what I showed you happens. My translation I used Red Google to do for English and from English to Portuguese, so it worked a little better, but it still happened after the warp and exporting the file. But it's always the same, I'm playing and finding out what's wrong with it, tomorrow I'm going to clean up the file and see what it ate or didn't eat and fix the duplicate lines that there are a few more, but most of them are dialogs now that it doesn't crash and doesn't let you complete a mission.

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
I was just asked by someone if I want to share a translation they made with SLR Translator because they do not want to do it themselves and take credit for it.
And I just want to vent a bit because this "credit" discussion lately is really pissing me off.

No you do not need to credit me for something you made with SLR Translator, BECAUSE I HAVE NO CREDIT TO WHAT YOU MADE.

That you would need to credit the toolmaker is fucking ridiculous.
That some laws in some countries require it under certain licenses doesn't make it any less ridiculous. A lot of countries have a lot of ridiculous laws.

If you buy wood, nails and a hammer. And you use those materials to make a crate to store potatoes.
YOU made that crate. It does not matter that without someone collecting the wood, making those nails, or making that hammer you couldn't have done it.

If you take part in a shooting competition and win, YOU won, not the manufacturer of the gun.

If you make a digital drawing using a program. YOU made that drawing. YOU take the credit for that drawing. Not fucking Paint or whatever you used.

Effort and Credit are not in any way related, and if you think otherwise you literally have never achieved something in your life, because you would not exist without your parents, hence by your logic all credit for everything you've ever done goes to them. Except it doesn't, because they can't possibly take credit since they wouldn't exist without their parents, so we can go back to the fricken big bang here, and no human could ever take credit for anything.

It would be nice if you would keep some kind of note in the title that says " modified with SLR Translator versionnumber" to make people aware of the tool, spread the word, and if there's an issue make it easier to determine if that issue was already fixed in a newer version or not, but that is also not in any way required either.

Above all please actually share the translations you make.
And no you don't have to make elaborate game threads and deal with all that annoying bullshit. If there's a Translation-Request thread, just post there. If not, just make your own Translation thread. Nobody cares about formatting there.

Just do it.
pengu.gif

Games & Games

May 7, 2023
I was just asked by someone if I want to share a translation they made with SLR Translator because they do not want to do it themselves and take credit for it.
And I just want to vent a bit because this "credit" discussion lately is really pissing me off.

No you do not need to credit me for something you made with SLR Translator, BECAUSE I HAVE NO CREDIT TO WHAT YOU MADE.

That some laws in some countries require it under certain licenses doesn't make it any less ridiculous. A lot of countries have a lot of ridiculous laws.

If you buy wood, nails and a hammer. And you use those materials to make a crate to store potatoes.
YOU made that crate. It does not matter that without someone collecting the wood, making those nails, or making that hammer you couldn't have done it.

If you take part in a shooting competition and win, YOU won, not the manufacturer of the gun.

If you make a digital drawing using a program. YOU made that drawing. YOU take the credit for that drawing. Not fucking Paint or whatever you used.

Effort and Credit are not in any way related, and if you think otherwise you literally have never achieved something in your life, because you would not exist without your parents, hence by your logic all credit for everything you've ever done goes to them. Except it doesn't, because they can't possibly take credit since they wouldn't exist without their parents, so we can go back to the fricken big bang here, and no human could ever take credit for anything.

It would be nice if you would keep some kind of note in the title that says " modified with SLR Translator versionnumber" to make people aware of the tool, spread the word, and if there's an issue make it easier to determine if that issue was already fixed in a newer version or not, but that is also not in any way required either.

Above all please actually share the translations you make. And no you don't have to make elaborate game threads and deal with all that annoying bullshit. If there's a Translation-Request thread, just post there. If not, just make your own Translation thread. Nobody cares about formatting there.

Just do it.
View attachment 3893661
Honestly, I don't do anything to give credit, I just share it if it's something I like, if I'm treated well, if it does the job it's meant to do, I just share it because I always want more people to know about good things that are done well and that make their job easier, depending on the service it is.

Games & Games

May 7, 2023
A bit of a silly question, but for me in the game I'm playing it makes a difference, there's a certain variable, which I'm looking to change, I've looked in the data folder, in the game editor and everywhere, but I can't find it, in the system folder which is the main one and has no js in the game I can't open it, because there's a 1kb file that has nothing inside and three .dll that I can't open, would anyone have a day to give me where this variable would be?

mrericsan

Sep 21, 2021
I'm honestly worried about that.
Because I pretty much cannot provide any support for Windows 11.
Even if I would have a license for it, I do not have a TPM chip, so my PC couldn't run it.
(And the moment I would use some kind of modified version to get around it, I can't be sure if my tests are actually comparable to a "normal" version)
I finally found out the problem i have with VX and VXace --> The folder name cannot be in Japanese. Once i change it to English the translator run normally. And of course this issue does not affect MV/MX .... which make me conclude this is another curse of window 11. Honestly, i am crying blood everyday after i upgrade to window 11 ...

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
I've released v1.083.
Added a script to fix broken cells that are supposed to be enclosed in '' or "".
Basically it compares the original cell with the new one and determines whether or not the placement is correct.
In case of '' it also fixes the words, meaning you're becomes you are, I'm becomes I am, etc.

There's also a custom script that can be used on row level that gets rid of all ' in case that's an issue with a particular cell that is not visibly enclosed.

Silentce

Quiet Eldritch Horror
Modder
Uploader
Jan 2, 2018

Above all please actually share the translations you make. And no you don't have to make elaborate game threads and deal with all that annoying bullshit. If there's a Translation-Request thread, just post there. If not, just make your own Translation thread. Nobody cares about formatting there.

Just do it.
View attachment 3893661
If people message you like that in the future just tell them to report their post with the translation / pre patched game. An uploader will take care of it. Hell people can even message me. I just am busy and there are much faster uploaders.

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
If people message you like that in the future just tell them to report their post with the translation / pre patched game. An uploader will take care of it. Hell people can even message me. I just am busy and there are much faster uploaders.
The way they phrased it was not actually that they had a problem with how to share it, but that they felt like it would somehow be wrong for them to share it and take credit, because "all they did was follow my tutorial on how to make a translation with SLR Translator" and so I should share it instead.

I just added that bit at the end "in case" how to share is actually an issue for someone. It's a bit confusing for new people that they do not have enough privileges to post a thread in the game section directly and are supposed to post in the Game Request section instead. Even though they are sharing and not requesting anything...

That is honestly a part of this forum I don't fully understand, because why not just do it like it's being done in the Mods section?
(Everyone can make a thread, but each thread needs to be approved before it shows up.)
This seems confusing for the sake of being confusing. :confused:

Reactions: Silentce

mrericsan

Sep 21, 2021
Hi Shisaye, I got a question does the official VX ace editor able to edit VX games as well? In your instruction it seems both can be edited by VXace editor, but i just wanna make sure before i invest 70$ on it.

thanks

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
Hi Shisaye, I got a question does the official VX ace editor able to edit VX games as well? In your instruction it seems both can be edited by VXace editor, but i just wanna make sure before i invest 70$ on it.

thanks
It's generally not a good idea to use the VX Ace editor on old VX. It can work, but it's not a good idea.
If the tutorial says otherwise, that's a mistake.

The "Additional Tools" package might offer an alternative to that investment though. *cough*

Edit: In case you're not familiar with this old style, you launch them with the SSELauncher not the normal executable.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrericsan

mrericsan

Sep 21, 2021
Sorry Shisaye, got a little confuse here. After I change the font size as instructed and save the project the file name did not change to "Scripts.rvdata2". It stays as Game.rvproj2 ... i try moving the file to data folder but it does nothing. I must be missing a step here ...

Screenshot 2024-08-03 195716.jpg

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
Sorry Shisaye, got a little confuse here. After I change the font size as instructed and save the project the file name did not change to "Scripts.rvdata2". It stays as Game.rvproj2 ... i try moving the file to data folder but it does nothing. I must be missing a step here ...

View attachment 3896903
Err, what? It's not supposed to change that file. (Was my tutorial written that badly? :HideThePain: )
It edits the Scripts.rvdata2 inside of the Data folder of the project you loaded.
The Game.rvproj2 is just placed in there so the editor recognizes the game.

mrericsan

Sep 21, 2021
humm are you saying by editing the Game.rvproj2 file in the game folder it automatically change the Scripts.rvdata2 inside the data folder. if so i have done it correctly but i don't seem to see the result.

Screenshot 2024-08-03 201842.jpg