TheRealSomeone92

Apr 15, 2019
On itch,
Solas City Heroes update 0.3!
was released 17 days ago, and
Solas City Heroes Update 0.2!
79 days ago.

Not sure if itch gets all the updates Patreon gets, but judging from that you can roughly estimate an update every 2-3 months.

Reactions: srg91

srg91

Nov 30, 2017
On itch,
Solas City Heroes update 0.3!
was released 17 days ago, and
Solas City Heroes Update 0.2!
79 days ago.

Not sure if itch gets all the updates Patreon gets, but judging from that you can roughly estimate an update every 2-3 months.
*zips up pants*
Welp, see y'all next season, fellow perv pirates.

Iddqdhd

Feb 27, 2021
I respect Mr. Zed and his approach but sometimes you can't afford 5$ a month to support his development. It would be cool if he published Solas City Heroes in steam in early access for a fixed price.

PaNiq

Dec 3, 2017
I respect Mr. Zed and his approach but sometimes you can't afford 5$ a month to support his development. It would be cool if he published Solas City Heroes in steam in early access for a fixed price.
If you can't afford it then you won't be able to play it, that's just how it is for everything in this world. The game will eventually come to Steam I guess, just like Kinky Fight Club did.

kami shigiri

Mar 12, 2018
not to be mean but you people do know that you are on a pirate site right?????? like no way in hell you people think this is a site like patreon .......the whole purpose of this page is to distribute pirated versions of games
PaNiq ......

Iddqdhd

Feb 27, 2021
not to be mean but you people do know that you are on a pirate site right?????? like no way in hell you people think this is a site like patreon .......the whole purpose of this page is to distribute pirated versions of games
PaNiq ......
There is free demo on itch io. Pirating should be used to test the game out before buying it. I mean its just my vision on this everybody has a right to have an opinion

Reactions: Schlong50

PaNiq

Dec 3, 2017
PaNiq ......
Sure and I agree, but in this case the developer simply ASKED to wait for a bit, it's not like they said to never share it. He also knows this is a piracy website and there's no way it's not getting shared, but just wait for a bit.

sandsea_urchin

May 7, 2019
like no way in hell you people think this is a site like patreon .......the whole purpose of this page is to distribute pirated versions of games
That's beside the point.
On top of what you say, F95 aims to promote games and offer an unbiased (ideally) place of discussion. As well as provide troubleshooting, walkthroughs, etc, not to mention the valuable feedback for the dev.
Acess to the current demo is a one-time 5$, provided you unsuscribe ASAP. However, in my case, it'd make me sick to gift scam-encouraging monopoly Patreon a single cent, let alone about 2$ in this case. I'm not as hell-bent against itch.io, but there's also the fact I find it ludicrous to buy 1/1000th of a baby cow, in hopes of a BBQ years later; let me buy some beefsteak when it's done, and I'll help advertise it if it's good... I don't mind F95 offering a tastetest, when in doubt :whistle:

More importantly, thanks again for the share, PaNiq. It came at a very good time, since the free demo at that time came with many old and new bugs, and almost nothing new. Maybe, another opportune time will arise? Perhaps after AI guy is finally willing to pitch in? :sneaky:
MrZ is one of the very few Patreon devs who actually release full games (as opposed to game-abandoning scammers paid for no or token work), let's remember and remind that fact. On top of the cake, he's also kind enough not to antagonize nor ignore us selfish bunch...

Schlong50

Dec 11, 2019
That's beside the point.
On top of what you say, F95 aims to promote games and offer an unbiased (ideally) place of discussion. As well as provide troubleshooting, walkthroughs, etc, not to mention the valuable feedback for the dev.
Acess to the current demo is a one-time 5$, provided you unsuscribe ASAP. However, in my case, it'd make me sick to gift scam-encouraging monopoly Patreon a single cent, let alone about 2$ in this case. I'm not as hell-bent against itch.io, but there's also the fact I find it ludicrous to buy 1/1000th of a baby cow, in hopes of a BBQ years later; let me buy some beefsteak when it's done, and I'll help advertise it if it's good... I don't mind F95 offering a tastetest, when in doubt :whistle:

More importantly, thanks again for the share, PaNiq. It came at a very good time, since the free demo at that time came with many old and new bugs, and almost nothing new. Maybe, another opportune time will arise? Perhaps after AI guy is finally willing to pitch in? :sneaky:
MrZ is one of the very few Patreon devs who actually release full games (as opposed to game-abandoning scammers paid for no or token work), let's remember and remind that fact. On top of the cake, he's also kind enough not to antagonize nor ignore us selfish bunch...
Good post. (y) You might want to give itch a second look though. The Solas Demo (v 0.3f ) is free; no 5 bucks fee or similar shenanigans. Similar his other games (KFC & DC) are, at least to my knowledge, also fully updated to the latest versions on itch (obviously not free ;) ).

PaNiq

Dec 3, 2017
Good post. (y) You might want to give itch a second look though. The Solas Demo (v 0.3f ) is free; no 5 bucks fee or similar shenanigans. Similar his other games (KFC & DC) are, at least to my knowledge, also fully updated to the latest versions on itch (obviously not free ;) ).
Well it's a demo, meaning there's only the first level in there, isn't that on Patreon as well?

Jun 19, 2018
I was enticed by the idea of the bondage equipment mechanic so I subscribed to Patreon to try the latest version of the game. Out of respect for the creator (and because my Patreon username is same as my F95 username) I will refrain from sharing it with the public.
Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
- already a better product than any other garbage beat 'em up or fighting game I have ever tried on this website (*cough* Pure Onyx *cough*)
- nice depth and complexity
- clearly fleshed out roadmap for the entire year, you know what features to expect for upcoming releases

Cons:
- first run was extremely booooring. Enemies way too damage-spongy, too many of them and levels just feel long. There are talents and purchasable upgrades that increase your damage, but
- wayyyyy too grindy. While the game has a good variety of customization options, some pieces of clothing are way too expensive compared to how little currency reward you get for clearing the early levels. There is a +50% cash reward cheat that would guarantee one item per level cleared, which brings me to the next point:
- I had the same gripe with Dungeon Coup and back then I told myself I'm never dropping another $ on a Mr. Zed game. Made an exception this time because it looked like a quality product (and it is), but if I ever play this game again it'll be cause I pirated it: "debug" options gated behind $20 paywall while people are literally paying to bugtest the product for its Steam release. Just make the cheats available to everyone if they're going through the hassle of subjecting themselves to an experience that is poorly optimized and not gonna work as intended because you're guaranteed to run into bugs. Anyway, cancelled my sub for this reason alone and will never support another Mr. Zed product as long as this practice is in place.

sandsea_urchin

May 7, 2019
"debug" options gated behind $20 paywall while people are literally paying to bugtest the product for its Steam release
Nice pro/cons list.

I feel ya, but the above goes hand-in-hand with Patreon. Yet another reason why similarly serious devs should boycott do without it, as long as it's remotely economically viable. Also in my opinion, you should have instead:
- purchased Kinky Fight Club, with a much higher FMR (fap/money ratio)
- played good old, clunky Heroine Rumble from Enlit3D

It was quite easy to edit saves before; I haven't checked if that held true for Solas.

MrZed

Game Developer
Mar 16, 2020
What I get from most of what you write there is that you want a shorter game with everything unlocked after one-two levels, more of a super casual game, rather than the long progression games I try to do.

Each level gives a base of 1500 credits +200 per stage, and each stack of cash you pick grants 100 more credits.

If you continue to the next level you also get the stacking buff that gives 10% more credits (up to 50%), so just going through levels to 5, not picking any cash drops, you will get over 12k, enough to unlock a full body costume (since each piece of costume ranges from 500 to 2500).

Now regarding the last point. These updates are tested before going live and not just for players to "bugtest the steam version". But even on games made by huge studios with over 50 people on their QA team testing for bugs you can find bugs.

The cheats in the game exists only because of the $20 patrons, because it's the only way I have to say thank you to those who support the game the most without going into other practices that other devs do that I don't personally agree (I don't wanna start naming people or throwing shade at other devs, it's just something I dislike personally)
So considering all the possibilities, I believe that having cheats for those who support the most is not something so crazy or outrageous...

Jun 19, 2018
What I get from most of what you write there is that you want a shorter game with everything unlocked after one-two levels, more of a super casual game, rather than the long progression games I try to do.

Each level gives a base of 1500 credits +200 per stage, and each stack of cash you pick grants 100 more credits.

If you continue to the next level you also get the stacking buff that gives 10% more credits (up to 50%), so just going through levels to 5, not picking any cash drops, you will get over 12k, enough to unlock a full body costume (since each piece of costume ranges from 500 to 2500).

Now regarding the last point. These updates are tested before going live and not just for players to "bugtest the steam version". But even on games made by huge studios with over 50 people on their QA team testing for bugs you can find bugs.

The cheats in the game exists only because of the $20 patrons, because it's the only way I have to say thank you to those who support the game the most without going into other practices that other devs do that I don't personally agree (I don't wanna start naming people or throwing shade at other devs, it's just something I dislike personally)
So considering all the possibilities, I believe that having cheats for those who support the most is not something so crazy or outrageous...
I appreciate your response.

I don't necessarily want a casual experience. I am the type of player that actually enjoys experiencing the story/progression of a game and not just asking for a Save or Gallery file like others tend to do on this forum.

I will try to elaborate a bit more on why the game felt slow to me. This is from the perspective of someone who was at their first playthrough. Elements of the game are slowly revealing themselves to me, I do not have a complete picture yet.

At some point during the first level, it started getting kinda repetitive with each encounter being just more enemies of the same type that usually require repeating the same move combo 3 or more times in order to defeat. I don't think this is necessarily a problem specific to this game, I think beat 'em up as a genre is just not for me.
There's also that fact that whether you're fighting 1 enemy or 5, it doesn't really matter, you're using the exact same input because they're all clumped together and you hit them all. There is no need to adjust your gameplay to the perceived difficulty of fighting multiple enemies.

By the end of the first level I was excited to try out some new customization options in the shop, but the game encourages you to keep going. At this point in my mind I have two options: advance to a supposedly more difficult stage with the same power level or return to base and have to replay level 1 in order to build up the credits buff.

I decided to keep going with the same power level and enemies HP just kept increasing and increasing. To be fair Minions applying restraints actually made it somewhat interesting, but it was still the same repetitive two-button mashing gameplay.

By the time I got back the base, I couldn't even enjoy any new outfit because any sane person would prioritize upgrades to make the credit farm more efficient going forward.
I didn't get to try the talents and see what difference they would make. I was ready to try every single combination for the cheat codes unlock, but then decided to just download Cheat Engine and cheat credits that way.

I will give the game another try, this time with a different approach. I'll prioritize Talents/upgrades over the credits buff and see if it makes for a smoother experience.

EDIT: Hardcore mode seems to solve most of my issues. However, the Hardcore credit bonus does not seem to work, got 1700 for first stage.

Last edited:

mrme

Nov 8, 2017
Didn't know there were cheats
But the save files are just plain JSON files, so being that I wanted to play dress up and not grind, I just changed the credits to a decent amount to buy the outfit pieces I wanted

Saves are in your AppData\LocalLow\Skyflare Studios\Solas City Heroes\
Just search for credits and change the value

Personally I'm not keen on having to grind for costume pieces, once you've got the 5 bits you want you're probably not going to buy more bits, so ends up being a bit pointless

4.20 star(s) 29 Votes