VN Ren'Py Abandoned Something In The Water [v0.1c] [The Nerd Xxx]

edgedy

Aug 15, 2017
Looks like a bust to me, no update since June.

According to his Patreon he's working on a prequel for this.

Reactions: Burn85

TheNerdXXX

Something in the Water
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2017
Hey Guys. I'm still working on this, although it is on the back burner. Progress is slowed rather than stopped.

The prequel, or side story will actually be available in the main game as a diary entry\flash back type story. As well as a stand alone game. So I suppose the content is adding to the main game!

But yeah, I'm currently creating a 7 day story where Sandy is attending summer camp. I messed up with something in the water, only in the sense there's not enough content to justify it's release so early(I was overly excited at having something playable and working!)

So the promise is to release a short prologue game, where our lovely Sandy will lose her virginity(Allowing me to not have to worry about multiple "first times" in the main game;)) Progress was slowed slightly on this due to me having a bout of vertigo this month, I've also been absent from my actual RL job! Horrible thing to experience! Using sick days for actual sickness is the worst! haha

With regards to the prologue, I've done 4 full days, rendered and dialogue. And I have 2 more days dialogue only. But I'm not releasing this one early. I made that mistake with the game in the original post! It won't be long though.

Once it's out though, I'll head back to making the main game. Honestly I just wanted to give you guys something fully playable, rather than drip feeding you updates. And if it's any conciliation dropping back and creating this prequel has taught me a thing or 2 which has helped me speed up the creation process. Alot of my scenes were fully rendered, which is lovely but the time to create a full conversation in that styles was VERY VERY long. I've adopted a visual novel style for the prologue, where I render the background, and then characters with differing actions separately, cutting Rending time down massively.

So apologies about the slow of progress, but you'll be getting a full adventure in return for your patience, and when I go back to creating 'something in the water' as my main focus, progress will be better due to the better approach to scene creation.

I understand skepticism, and I do apologize for the wait!

Burn85

May 25, 2018
Hey Guys. I'm still working on this, although it is on the back burner. Progress is slowed rather than stopped.

The prequel, or side story will actually be available in the main game as a diary entry\flash back type story. As well as a stand alone game. So I suppose the content is adding to the main game!

But yeah, I'm currently creating a 7 day story where Sandy is attending summer camp. I messed up with something in the water, only in the sense there's not enough content to justify it's release so early(I was overly excited at having something playable and working!)

So the promise is to release a short prologue game, where our lovely Sandy will lose her virginity(Allowing me to not have to worry about multiple "first times" in the main game;)) Progress was slowed slightly on this due to me having a bout of vertigo this month, I've also been absent from my actual RL job! Horrible thing to experience! Using sick days for actual sickness is the worst! haha

With regards to the prologue, I've done 4 full days, rendered and dialogue. And I have 2 more days dialogue only. But I'm not releasing this one early. I made that mistake with the game in the original post! It won't be long though.

Once it's out though, I'll head back to making the main game. Honestly I just wanted to give you guys something fully playable, rather than drip feeding you updates. And if it's any conciliation dropping back and creating this prequel has taught me a thing or 2 which has helped me speed up the creation process. Alot of my scenes were fully rendered, which is lovely but the time to create a full conversation in that styles was VERY VERY long. I've adopted a visual novel style for the prologue, where I render the background, and then characters with differing actions separately, cutting Rending time down massively.

So apologies about the slow of progress, but you'll be getting a full adventure in return for your patience, and when I go back to creating 'something in the water' as my main focus, progress will be better due to the better approach to scene creation.

I understand skepticism, and I do apologize for the wait!
Will have to wait. ;)

myuhinny

Devoted Member
Sep 7, 2017
Looks like I'll be editing some to change Sandy back into a virgin when the new content comes out.

TheNerdXXX

Something in the Water
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2017
It isn't abandoned. Progress is just slow, there's only me and I have a full time job :)

To be clear there is good progress overall, I just won't release the next version until I feel there's substantial gameplay for you guys.

My patreon is suffering due to a lack of game updates, but I'd prefer to drop a decent 0.2 rather than drip feed 30 minutes of extra gameplay every update. :)

The prologue is also now part of the main game, rather than a standalone. So that's beefed up the playable content quite a bit.

But yes, It's still happening! I got a little bit nervous last week and created a cloud backup! :LOL:

May 14, 2017
It isn't abandoned. Progress is just slow, there's only me and I have a full time job :)

To be clear there is good progress overall, I just won't release the next version until I feel there's substantial gameplay for you guys.

My patreon is suffering due to a lack of game updates, but I'd prefer to drop a decent 0.2 rather than drip feed 30 minutes of extra gameplay every update. :)

The prologue is also now part of the main game, rather than a standalone. So that's beefed up the playable content quite a bit.

But yes, It's still happening! I got a little bit nervous last week and created a cloud backup! :LOL:
I used to be a patreon of urs i left due to lack of updates, no offence but id rather small monthly updates rather than whats it been 7 or 8 month now with nothing

OneWayMissile

Jul 24, 2018

Do you have an idea of when the next update will drop?

TheNerdXXX

Something in the Water
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2017
Do you have an idea of when the next update will drop?
It's going to be a couple of months yet, I am trying to get this out quickly but it turns out the creation process is so long winded. Especially when waiting on renders.

myuhinny

Devoted Member
Sep 7, 2017

I still exist! The game is still being created, apologies for the length of time. I've removed Patron Tiers higher than a single $1. Just because I felt it was unfair to you guys as I wasn't delivering to a regular time frame.

So I'm dialing back the amount of intricacy I'm adding to these games.

As an example I had 5 different facial expressions for sandy, and then more expression still depending on whether she was talking or thinking, or just listening. Then the same for every character in the game.

I was creating quite intricate scenes for conversations between characters, full size 1080p images, for which most developers out there would have used a single still, or small set, with a back and forth using dialogue boxes. I prefer my approach, however with my computer you'd never get a game. Rendering times are just too prolonged.

So I've become more realistic, and in all honesty it's allowed me to get more story down and keep a more consistent pace.

I'm looking to upgrade my PC soon, so maybe my full bells and whistles version can still happen, but for now I need to be realistic.

No time frame still to drop a release, but it's happening. I'm seeing a lot of cash cow games on the market at present, and that's not what I'm wanting to create hopefully dropping higher tier offers until I have something substantial prove that :)

Another promise, anyone who has been a patron since I starting this project will get my next release of the game sent out to them, whether or not they are patrons now. I owe you guys that! :)

TheNerdXXX

Something in the Water
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2017
It is. I'm currently in the process of upgrading my PC to an AMD Ryzen 3900x and a 2080ti (Black Friday Purchases this month)

I've sold my 1080ti graphics card, inorder to recoupe cost on the new setup. So i'm currently only working on coding and existing renders.

I can't see an update dropping until the new year if I'm honest.

Mar 7, 2018
Really looking forward to a new release, i remember playing this long ago, and really loved the main character Sandy. Happy to see its not abandoned.

Zarkkill

Mar 8, 2019
It is. I'm currently in the process of upgrading my PC to an AMD Ryzen 3900x and a 2080ti (Black Friday Purchases this month)

I've sold my 1080ti graphics card, inorder to recoupe cost on the new setup. So i'm currently only working on coding and existing renders.

I can't see an update dropping until the new year if I'm honest.
A reply as recent as Nov 7th from the Dev is enough to convince me the game isn't dead lol. I stumbled across this and wondered why it wasn't marked as abandoned until i ventured to the recent comments. I'm glad you're taking your time to make a good finished product and i commend you for that. My advice to you is, in the future if you do a drastic change like that, don't just go dark or something. If you don't want to drip feed new game version updates that's cool, but you should at least post status updates on your Patreon so people know what's going on. Even if it's not something they can play, them seeing that you're hard at work and making progress will keep them around. Just some friendly advice.

Reactions: filochard

filochard

Feb 1, 2018
Last info from Patreon :

So what is on the cards for this month? Getting back into the swing of things. I mentioned a few months back that I sold my 1080ti Graphics card? I did this while they were still worth a decent bit, That money along with a big pile of other money is now going towards a nice new system this month.
Any tech geeks out there - GPU will be a 2080ti for the VRAM and the CPU will be a lovely new Ryzen 9 3950X (Or a 3900x still debating with myself)
I know the CPU doesnt really benefit Daz overly much, and is more than a little bit overkill, but I like the idea of buying now for alot, and running the rig for 5+ years. Also my PC is a Plex Media server aswell. So Win Win.
Now less techno babble more adult video game news.
Having so much time without a GPU to render has allowed me to do something quite special, I've taken what I created with Something in the water(Not much to be fair) and then I took Camp Nerdwood the prequel and combined the 2 together. I'd say we're at about 70% completion on the Camp Nerdwood side, I do have renders to do this month once i get my behemoth of a GPU.
Timeframe? Not this month, and I don't really want to get myself tied to a release date. I am working hard on it, and even doing coding I can get away with at work(When I'm not busy)
Sandboxing is staying, and when I moved the prologue into the SITW game GUI I ended up adding interactive scenes to the prologue, rather than an (Almost) Static Novel.
Just keeping you in the know :)
Hope you've had a lovely Christmas, and happy New Year!

So what is on the cards for this month? Getting back into the swing of things. I mentioned a few months back that I sold my 1080ti Graphics card? I did this while they were still worth a decent bit, That money along with a big pile of other money is now going towards a nice new system this month.
Any tech geeks out there - GPU will be a 2080ti for the VRAM and the CPU will be a lovely new Ryzen 9 3950X (Or a 3900x still debating with myself)
I know the CPU doesnt really benefit Daz overly much, and is more than a little bit overkill, but I like the idea of buying now for alot, and running the rig for 5+ years. Also my PC is a Plex Media server aswell. So Win Win.
Now less techno babble more adult video game news.
Having so much time without a GPU to render has allowed me to do something quite special, I've taken what I created with Something in the water(Not much to be fair) and then I took Camp Nerdwood the prequel and combined the 2 together. I'd say we're at about 70% completion on the Camp Nerdwood side, I do have renders to do this month once i get my behemoth of a GPU.
Timeframe? Not this month, and I don't really want to get myself tied to a release date. I am working hard on it, and even doing coding I can get away with at work(When I'm not busy)
Sandboxing is staying, and when I moved the prologue into the SITW game GUI I ended up adding interactive scenes to the prologue, rather than an (Almost) Static Novel.
Just keeping you in the know :)
Hope you've had a lovely Christmas, and happy New Year!