VN Ren'Py Completed Something to Write About: The Author [Ch. 7.1] [STWAdev]

4.50 star(s) 123 Votes

LordSinner

Feb 11, 2018
I mean, maybe I didn't really articulate my point there, but I wasn't just trying to parrot back what Ava said.

Like, with Aoife and Lyndie it's more than just 'one is an extrovert and one is an introvert', as someone who's been adopted by an extrovert before I can say it's a very specific type of dynamic and one I hope to see their route explore in more detail. Like, for the extrovert having a friendship like that gives them someone to absorb some of their excess energy and someone who will listen to them talk for hours at a time, for the introvert you get someone who will actually reach out and engage with you and provide necessary human contact you wouldn't seek out on your own. It's symbiotic, and can make for really deep and meaningful relationships. It's a big part of why I'm glad they have a poly route.
And that is why I will not be going the poly route with them, you would basically be the 3rd wheel in that relationship.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
This I have to agree with.

I nearly have been that friend but fortunately another friend talked me round. It's a tough situation for everyone, you can't wrap your head around someone you care about wanting to die and no matter how they answer it's never a good one so you try and put space there and think you may be a problem.

Both sides did the entirely wrong thing for whatever reason but there is no play book for that and while it's easy to pin blame you have to remember she is in love with him, he called her, she wasn't there when he needed her and he nearly died. That shit would eat at anyone. Sure it's fiction but that has been really well done.
Yeah, this update was a little familiar. Except back then there were no cell phones. :)

The fact that Chris is still trying says a lot about how much she cares for him (and vice versa). Those who care less don't try.

Glooskabe

Jan 4, 2020
I mean, maybe I didn't really articulate my point there, but I wasn't just trying to parrot back what Ava said.

Like, with Aoife and Lyndie it's more than just 'one is an extrovert and one is an introvert', as someone who's been adopted by an extrovert before I can say it's a very specific type of dynamic and one I hope to see their route explore in more detail. Like, for the extrovert having a friendship like that gives them someone to absorb some of their excess energy and someone who will listen to them talk for hours at a time, for the introvert you get someone who will actually reach out and engage with you and provide necessary human contact you wouldn't seek out on your own. It's symbiotic, and can make for really deep and meaningful relationships. It's a big part of why I'm glad they have a poly route.
I wasn't commenting on what you said. I was making a joke about it being hard choosing one of them when it's possible (highly desirable? unthinkable not to?) to choose both. We on the same poly page here, brah! :cool:

Reactions: bcrr

Glooskabe

Jan 4, 2020
The fact that Chris is still trying says a lot about how much she cares for him (and vice versa). Those who care less don't try.
I'm basically with you except for the "still" part. She's not "still" trying. She decided to start trying a few months back when she was going on sabbatical and decided to hook MC up with a temp job. My impression was that up until then she had still been ghosting him. I don't think this timeline has been made completely clear yet so I could be mistaken about that.

Reactions: mofonistik

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
I'm basically with you except for the "still" part. She's not "still" trying. She decided to start trying a few months back when she was going on sabbatical and decided to hook MC up with a temp job. My impression was that up until then she had still been ghosting him. I don't think this timeline has been made completely clear yet so I could be mistaken about that.
Yeah, by still I mean she came back to him. We don't know if he was the one who started the ghosting or if it was her. I feel like he was the first to put distance between them but I could be wrong. She wants to make amends and heal their relationship. That's more than enough. I mean... Where are any other people? His ex didn't bother to contact him at all.

bcrr

May 25, 2019
And that is why I will not be going the poly route with them, you would basically be the 3rd wheel in that relationship.
To each their own, but I will say that relationships don't have to be a zero sum game. There's not like, a finite amount of meaningful relationship to go around.

But I am glad they each have their own solo route. Everyone should be able to engage with this story and its characters in the way they want to :)

Reactions: Glooskabe

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I love that little poly group in this game. I love the fact that Aiofe and Lyndie can come as a package deal and I adore the fact you can turn it into a thrupple with B if you want to.

We pretty much established choosing between Aiofe and Lyndie is heresy to be purged with full Exterminatus (yes I do love Warhammer and yes I would crack the whole damn planet to purge anyone that dares split them 2 up ... I jest ... mostly).

Glooskabe

Jan 4, 2020
Yeah, by still I mean she came back to him. We don't know if he was the one who started the ghosting or if it was her. I feel like he was the first to put distance between them but I could be wrong. She wants to make amends and heal their relationship. That's more than enough. I mean... Where are any other people? His ex didn't bother to contact him at all.
This I'm pretty confident of. The game tells us that Chris went to MC at the hospital and stayed with him until he went home to NY (?). She had to return home to LA and told him she would call him regularly. She called once, and then he never heard from her again.

She obviously wants to mend things which is commendable. I don't think he's under any obligation to make it easy on her though. There's also a bunch of background we don't know yet which could impact the situation. I am by means writing her off, just pointing out that she's not home yet.

Last edited:

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
This I'm pretty confident of. The game tells us that Chris went to MC at the hospital and stayed with him until he went home to NY (?). She had to return home to LA and told him she would call him regularly. She called once, and then he never heard from her again.

She obviously wants to mend things which is commendable. I don't think he's under any obligation to make it easy on her though. There's also a bunch of background we know know yet which could impact the situation. I am by means writing her off, just pointing out that she's not home yet.
Yeah, I get that, Just feel that the MC seems rather willing to reconcile and, to me, his avoidance of her felt like he didn't want to admit that he was childishly holding onto his anger. Not that he didn't have a right to be angry but that he'd held onto it too long, it had become comfortable for him. We shall see if she continues to work on their relationship. I hope she doesn't think she is done. Overall I think that Chris really doesn't have a chance to be a love interest in my game, nor does Kim with her obvious issues, but both are welcome to be friends.

I am curious about this game because I believe that it is supposed to be part of a series of stories that are, possibly, interconnected. So I have to wonder how long will this be?

STWAdev

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2020
I'm glad folks are in the same boat with me on Chris, I had no desire to leave them on a bad note, but they aren't fixed yet, with time and attention they may be but that's in the future.

I am curious about this game because I believe that it is supposed to be part of a series of stories that are, possibly, interconnected. So I have to wonder how long will this be?
I originally conceived three games when I first started writing, The Author was the most straightforward one so I decided that was the best one to start with considering my inexperience in DAZ, Renpy and other various game aspects.

The game is planned to be 8 chapters, though 8 is more like an epilogue so I'll be releasing it and 7 together as a singular larger update. If I stick to my update schedule of every 6-8ish weeks it will be wrapping up in Late Dec or January. The tentative release date for the second game is Valentines 2021 if the world doesn't end before then.
They are interconnected in some ways but not in any way as to be overly referential. Certain characters from The Author who've been shown or mentioned may have bigger parts in their own games IE, Aoife's Aunt and her cousins are a huge part of the third game, and the friend mentioned by both the MC and Chris as joining the service is actually the planned MC of the second game.
Most of my stories tend to take place in LA or London purely because those are the two cities that have shaped me so I thought it might be fun to cross characters a little, but I do want them to stand on their own. Any crossover is mostly intended as a "Oh I know that character" as opposed to an MCU expanded universe.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
I'm glad folks are in the same boat with me on Chris, I had no desire to leave them on a bad note, but they aren't fixed yet, with time and attention they may be but that's in the future.

I originally conceived three games when I first started writing, The Author was the most straightforward one so I decided that was the best one to start with considering my inexperience in DAZ, Renpy and other various game aspects.

The game is planned to be 8 chapters, though 8 is more like an epilogue so I'll be releasing it and 7 together as a singular larger update. If I stick to my update schedule of every 6-8ish weeks it will be wrapping up in Late Dec or January. The tentative release date for the second game is Valentines 2021 if the world doesn't end before then.
They are interconnected in some ways but not in any way as to be overly referential. Certain characters from The Author who've been shown or mentioned may have bigger parts in their own games IE, Aoife's Aunt and her cousins are a huge part of the third game, and the friend mentioned by both the MC and Chris as joining the service is actually the planned MC of the second game.
Most of my stories tend to take place in LA or London purely because those are the two cities that have shaped me so I thought it might be fun to cross characters a little, but I do want them to stand on their own. Any crossover is mostly intended as a "Oh I know that character" as opposed to an MCU expanded universe.
Ah, okay. Thank you for answering that. I always thought it would be interesting to write a story or series of stories where the characters were all connected by the bookstore or cafe they all frequented. Like the MC of the first story walks by the MC of the second story at one point. They would maybe bump into each other and they would know some of the same people but they wouldn't know each other. So I am very interested to see how you write these games up.

I also hope, considering the heavy subject tackled in this game, that the games won't all be this dark. Not saying they should "lighten up" but you need light for contrast.

Anyway, I am looking forward to Aoife's party, finding out how Kim is doing, and mending the relationship with Chris. Oh and nice touch with calling her Chris, kept us guessing for a bit. :)

STWAdev

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2020
I also hope, considering the heavy subject tackled in this game, that the games won't all be this dark. Not saying they should "lighten up" but you need light for contrast.
There will be light coming up these next few chapters, though we'll still have tension, especially as girl 6 arrives but I myself needed a bit of brevity in my updates or I'd depress myself. One thing I'll always say is that no matter how heavy or dark this story gets it will always have a happy ending even if you choose the end up alone ending. And I promise no house fires.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
There will be light coming up these next few chapters, though we'll still have tension, especially as girl 6 arrives but I myself needed a bit of brevity in my updates or I'd depress myself. One thing I'll always say is that no matter how heavy or dark this story gets it will always have a happy ending even if you choose the end up alone ending. And I promise no house fires.
LOL, there better not be anything on fire...

DPC will never live that down.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Everytime I hear Christine's surname I keep getting this in my head....

P.S. couldn't use the one I wanted because damn copyright....

I love that one though.

Also have a thing for violin music.....

Spfjolietjake

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 26, 2019
Everytime I hear Christine's surname I keep getting this in my head....

P.S. couldn't use the one I wanted because damn copyright....

I love that one though.

Also have a thing for violin music.....
The original has been my ring tone since I first heard it :cool:

4.50 star(s) 123 Votes