VN Ren'Py Completed Something to Write About: The Author [Ch. 7.1] [STWAdev]

4.50 star(s) 124 Votes

Jumbi

Feb 17, 2020
As far as I understand it, home or the MC and Chris IS Japan.
It has been a while since I last played the game. But I think that Chris moved overseas at a very early age together with her family to the same city the MC grew up in.

EDIT: Or maybe she was not born in Japan after all? Chris does not sound like a Japanese name at all.

EDIT2: Unless she got her name because one of her parents is from the States?

Last edited:

Sorter

Aug 11, 2017
But was the person driving, I thought they were in the back seat. Again, it's been a while since I have played :)
The woman I am referring to was in the back seat. No way she'd be driving hands free and clicking her fingernails lol.

It has been a while since I last played the game. But I think that Chris moved overseas at a very early age together with her family to the same city the MC grew up in.

EDIT: Or maybe she was not born in Japan after all? Chris does not sound like a Japanese name at all.

She is Japanese. My name is not a typical name for my country/region (I am eastern European, but have a totally western name). Names aren't an indicator of cultural origins.

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
My name is not a typical name for my country/region (I am eastern European, but have a totally western name). Names aren't an indicator of cultural origins.
While you may be an exception to that rule, in some places, names are highly indicative of cultural origin. How many Chinese people do you know with the Japanese last name of Takigawa? That number would be rather low vs the billion or so people Chinese citizens.

Again - not saying it is a firm rule, however in some cultures, there is definitely a very high likelihood that the name matches the cultural origin of the person in question.

Sorter

Aug 11, 2017
While you may be an exception to that rule, in some places, names are highly indicative of cultural origin. How many Chinese people do you know with the Japanese last name of Takigawa? That number would be rather low vs the billion or so people Chinese citizens.

Again - not saying it is a firm rule, however in some cultures, there is definitely a very high likelihood that the name matches the cultural origin of the person in question.
We are talking give names right? Family names are a whole other matter.

Jumbi

Feb 17, 2020
The woman I am referring to was in the back seat. No way she'd be driving hands free and clicking her fingernails lol.

She is Japanese. My name is not a typical name for my country/region (I am eastern European, but have a totally western name). Names aren't an indicator of cultural origins.
Names should not be taken as infallible proof of someone's origin, all right. But they usually keep a cultural meaning. This is something also related to tradition. In Spain, for example, where I am from, most parents give their children Spanish names. In the most recent times, giving your children not Spanish names is gradually becoming more common, but that is still the exception, not the rule.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018

I believe her full name is Christine Nakamura. It's been a while but if I remember rightly she was born in the states but her parents are Japanese.

I know at the end her dad is back in Japan and she's moving back to either be closer or take care of him.

Shyguy1369

Dec 14, 2018
I believe her full name is Christine Nakamura. It's been a while but if I remember rightly she was born in the states but her parents are Japanese.

I know at the end her dad is back in Japan and she's moving back to either be closer or take care of him.
You are quite correct on Chris' surname. She was born in the US, but her parents are Japanese

Reactions: Jumbi

Jumbi

Feb 17, 2020
Although I love this game and explored all of its endings, I did not remember Chris's full name until I read Avaron's last post. I wish my memory were better. I think the developer of the game is working on an enhanced edition, right? Once it gets released, it looks like a fantastic opportunity for me to replay the game.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
As for names: I have one friend from Japan and one from eastern Europe (former Yugoslavia - his heritage is all across Serbia, Croatia and Bosnia in today's countries) who both had stereotypical names for where they originate and both changed their names so they won't have to explain how to spell and/or pronounce it every time so by names they are as German as can be. And it is quite common for people with foreign roots to still choose a first name from their new home of choice. Of course name laws and naming habits in the US are different, way more free to choose, but I don't think a Japanese born either getting or at least adapting a western name should raise any eyebrows.

As for moving back to Japan: I don't remember her father being mentioned in the ending but could well be, however she explicitely ends up in MC's hometown.

Reactions: MV_1999

Shyguy1369

Dec 14, 2018
Although I love this game and explored all of its endings, I did not remember Chris's full name until I read Avaron's last post. I wish my memory were better. I think the developer of the game is working on an enhanced edition, right? Once it gets released, it looks like a fantastic opportunity for me to replay the game.
Yeah, STWADev is working on Unbroken and also on updating the renders and revamping The Author. I believe that once the revamp is completed he will also be releasing it on Steam.

Reactions: Jumbi

Jumbi

Feb 17, 2020
Also,
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
That makes absolute sense.

As for moving back to Japan: I don't remember her father being mentioned in the ending but could well be, however she explicitely ends up in MC's hometown.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

But again, that very well may be my (bad) memory playing tricks on me.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
She moves back to Japan unless you pick her ending.

In her ending her dad catches them "getting intimate".

They all move in with their lives. 3 of the girls move away, I think it's only B, Aoife and Lyndie that stay in the same town. Kim travels, Dru goes home and Chris goes back to Japan.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
She moves back to Japan unless you pick her ending.

In her ending her dad catches them "getting intimate".

They all move in with their lives. 3 of the girls move away, I think it's only B, Aoife and Lyndie that stay in the same town. Kim travels, Dru goes home and Chris goes back to Japan.
Yeah the one bad thing about the endings, everyone gets much closer and friends, but everyone move completely on unless MC chooses them. I know it was not harem, but that is way to much the other side and makes you wonder how much they really cared .......

Shyguy1369

Dec 14, 2018
Yeah the one bad thing about the endings, everyone gets much closer and friends, but everyone move completely on unless MC chooses them. I know it was not harem, but that is way to much the other side and makes you wonder how much they really cared .......
This is a trilogy, others will pop up in future ones. MC from here and LI you choose shows up in Unbroken.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
This is a trilogy, others will pop up in future ones. MC from here and LI you choose shows up in Unbroken.
I mean the LI's of this one disappearing, except for the chosen one is just something I do not like. You know it is hard to see them as friends as well when they do that. :) Besides we know none of the girls of part 1 will be Li's in later parts, since dev can not say who chose whom. :) So they might have well stayed around at least as friends. Well as being my only real nitpick, it is not really a bad one and shows dev did pretty well. :p

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
I mean the LI's of this one disappearing, except for the chosen one is just something I do not like. You know it is hard to see them as friends as well when they do that. :) Besides we know none of the girls of part 1 will be Li's in later parts, since dev can not say who chose whom. :) So they might have well stayed around at least as friends. Well as being my only real nitpick, it is not really a bad one and shows dev did pretty well. :p
Of course in a wish fulfillment fantasy you want to have your wishes fulfilled, and them all staying together as the "Gang of Seven" even if not romantically involved would be absolutely fine. But I still want to argue that it is kinda realistic that groups disperse. Some find work elsewhere, or another love, or just want to see the world. When I look back to my friends from that period in time quite a few are "gone". Heck, I was "gone" twice, only I came back. With some we try to meet up as often as possible. Others just fade out of our lives, no hard feelings. Of course, many are still around.

But let's also not forget that - except for Lyndie, Aoife, and B, or MC and Chris - these are not lifelong friends in this group but a crew which had fun for a couple of weeks and weren't even all connected that much. What did Drusilla and Kimberley have in common despite having been at the same party twice, so to speak.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
The friends do stay together.

Only Lyndie, B and Aoife were friends.

Chris was only there for the MC, she isn't close to any of the others. Dru had only just shown up so wasn;t a friend and Kim had just come off a psychotic break and needed to get away.

The friends stayed together, the rest went back to their lives.

4.50 star(s) 124 Votes