Fan Art Something Unlimited - Sprite Re-Mix and Fanart Thread

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Lovekraut

Apr 15, 2022
Lovekraut,

Too bad that you aren't into Daz Studio. I'd love to see you take a stab at Roulette's snake tattoo as a skin texture overlay asset. You'd have to install Daz Studio to check your work though. Daz Studio is free, I'd want a G3F or G8F version (others might want G9), but of course it may not be up your alley...

Once I get my Daz Studio install up and running again, I may take another stab at it but my photoshop-fu is weak in that regard...
Hm... I don't know how much time it would take to get that proficient in DAZ. If you know a good tutorial I at least could have a looksee.

One small thing that always irritaded me bout this Lex Lobo edit is that Lex has hair down there when he normally does not lmao.

Was that planned or did you never notice or what was the reason for not removing the hair in all these months.?
Yeah, I noticed at some point and I admit it - I was like "ah fuck it". :whistle:

Reactions: OhWee

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Hm... I don't know how much time it would take to get that proficient in DAZ. If you know a good tutorial I at least could have a looksee.

Yeah, I noticed at some point and I admit it - I was like "ah fuck it". :whistle:
There are a plethora of tutorials on YT but the basics are fairly easy to pick up.

Texture mapping is a bit more involved, but essentailly you can just work off of a template in Photoshop. In this particular case, I'm just thinking that a cool transparency overlay map with the tattoo would be cool, most tattoos in Daz Studio are essentially overlays accessed via the layered image editor, but yeah...

To bring thing back to SU though, at one point Jimwalrus and I were experimenting with using Daz Studio to generate baseline poses for AI to reference when making new characters. I think there's a lot of potential here. I don't think you are doing the AI thing, but others are...

The current version of Indigo that I feature in SU ReImagined began as a Daz Studio character, which was then run through AI by Jimwalrus. Then I did some Photoshop work to come up with her costume and forehead ornamentation.

Indigo_chat1.png

My point here is that I see interesting possibilities here r.e. a sprite development pipeline. It's easy to set up basic character shapes and poses in Daz Studio, and if the AI engine can use those as 'source' images and then apply SR7 styling to the images, and then of course fine tuning things in Photoshop...

I'ts pretty easy to use a basic lighting rig/HDRI lighting in Daz Studio to get basic renders with transparent backgrounds, which makes it easier for the AI to just see the poses, etc...

Anyways, bringing this back around to textures...

That's basically what a texture map for G3F looks like without coloring, and in this case that's what you'd paint a tattoo on top of, so that it could be applied to existing skin texture maps. A template would probably work a little better as it has grid lines to help you line things up between body parts a bit better, lessee...

This person has 'color coded' the seam borders to help make it a bit easier to understand how the texture maps mate up with each other, and should give you a basic idea of what a G3F texture map template looks like.

In any case, yeah there's still a bit of a learning curve, but at least in my case I picked up the basics in Daz Studio and was doing basic renders within about an hour or two. The main thing you'd want to learn in your first go is how to set up a character for basic rendering, then once you've done that we could discuss how to edit texture maps...

Just a thought!

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 2 Votes