Ren'Py Abandoned Sophie [v0.1] [Tasty Games]

4.20 star(s) 5 Votes

TastyGames

Mar 4, 2020
Any News On The Remake ?
It's coming along nicely. I'm completely off work for at least two months now (aviation) so there's plenty of time to dedicate to the game. Rendering is still the most time consuming aspect, but during rendering I've completed the UI refresh, and have been brushing up on my Renpy skills. I anticipate having a preview of day two available in the not too distant future. (Purposely vague... :rolleyes:)

I've also been contemplating ways of getting the series back on patreon. I've come to the conclusion that it may be extremely difficult as the core basis of the first story is around a father/daughter relationship and it would be hard to 'pretend' they're not related. However if anyone has any ideas I would be immensely grateful to hear them. I already have ideas for the next chapter of Sophie which would be allowed on Patreon, but for now I will have to use SubscribeStar.

Anyway, hope you're all doing well! Please remember to keep an eye on my and my page for updates.

TG.

TastyGames

Mar 4, 2020
Hi everyone.

Today I am looking for some feedback into the scoring system.

The scoring system is obviously a fundamental part of these types of games, and each game has it's own way of doing it. Some games have more of a 'open' feel, leaving the player to explore different paths completely by themselves, whilst other games have more clear indication as to what a particular choice might do, or where it might lead them.

Then there is the aspect of showing certain information to the player. The first release of Sophie completely hid the scoring system. I am wondering if this is still the correct approach. Whilst I quite like the aspect that the player really is left to their own devices whilst playing, I am not sure what the general consensus would be. My reasoning for this is because, when I play games such as DMD for example, I don't really ever refer to the score in the top right. I might be alone in this however so I am asking for you to take part in a very quick strawpoll.

If you wouldn't mind taking a few seconds to complete. It's just a yes or no answer for now - It would be very much appreciated. And obviously if anyone would like to comment, please do so!

Thanks everyone!

TG

Reactions: wratxier

Anus Mundi

Nov 27, 2018
Nice! "Sophie" is one of the VNs i really liked, when it was published, and i was disappointed, when it was abandoned at this early stage like so many others. When i was "cleaning out the closed" yesterday, i found "Sophie" still in the VN folder. Out of curiosity i looked up this thread just to see that "Sophie" is to be continued. I was seriously baffled. :giggle:

About the scoring:

Though i like exploring different paths, i prefer having at least some kind of clue where i'm heading. But it's the same here as with toggling on/off the points shown; you can also implement a toggleable hint system as in i.e. Private Cases or Luke's Way.

Edit:

The fontsize is way too small. :whistle:

Last edited:
Reactions: Savor

TastyGames

Mar 4, 2020
Thank you everyone for your help with the poll and suggestions. I have implemented a new type of scoring system which should improve on the linearity of the first release. It consists of two bars, based on deviance and affection, with the idea of trying to keep yourself 'in the pink' for the best outcome. There is a button to hide it altogether alongside the menu button, and of course the default renpy option is there to completely hide the UI for a better view. :sneaky: (See Top right of screen.)

TG

scoresystem.png

Apr 29, 2018
Great news! I, like many others, always thought this game had so much potential

Is this remake still happening, though? No update since early April

Last edited:
4.20 star(s) 5 Votes