4.30 star(s) 40 Votes
Sep 13, 2017
Once it gets above 1.5 Gig it is a bit unwieldy imho.
I was hoping you would switch to a lighter format than png. I dont exactly know what renpy allows, but i saw some use webm.
Slight loss in quality wont mean much compared to the gains in snappiness and size.

Nevermind I just realized all the files ARE webp, but named jpg and png for some reason.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean MacDonald

yv0751

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2017
I was hoping you would switch to a lighter format than png. I dont exactly know what renpy allows, but i saw some use webm.
Slight loss in quality wont mean much compared to the gains in snappiness and size.

Nevermind I just realized all the files ARE webp, but named jpg and png for some reason.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
For fullscreens with bg I will use more jpg in future to save space (I use that for the animation frames already).
For layered images I have to use transparency and save those out as "PNG" in photoshop. Maybe PS converts these to webm somehow.

memes.motherfuker

May 17, 2019
If history has proven one thing it is that any post voicing any opinion on NTR whatsoever will derail a thread in no time...
For what it's worth: The pet training is no prostitution or sex, just mind games and toys, might add some clarifying comment to that regard in game. For the future prostitution with main characters is not planned.
:)
Thanks for the reply!

Sep 13, 2017
I just checked images from v0.8c and the magic numbers were for .png and .jpeg (well, jfif). Are you looking at v0.9?
Yeah, you got me. Apparently I downloaded the compressed version, forgot about it, and spoke like it was the original.
Nevermind my previous scratching of my suggestion then, it still stands.

yv0751

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2017
Yeah, you got me. Apparently I downloaded the compressed version, forgot about it, and spoke like it was the original.
Nevermind my previous scratching of my suggestion then, it still stands.
As I was curious I did some tests.

I figured (wrongly) the zipped distribution would take care of the PNG size to an extent and I mostly care about the distribution file size not the unpacked file size (everyone and their mothers have tons of disk space anyway).

I chose 20 PNG from my cutscenes, made jpg variations and then zipped both batches

Here are the results (some might have known but for me it was a surprise) with standard settings on my MAC (OSX Preview App used for conversion).
  • PNG Files: 46.7 MByte, Zipped PNG Files: 48.8 MByte
  • JPG Files: 4.8 MByte, Zipped JPG Files: 4.9 MByte
I honestly thought ZIP would make short work of the PNG but I remembered then that ZIP algorithm gives up on already compressed files which PNG obviously are in its eyes :)

Conclusion:

From next version I will add full screen images where possible as JPG format and only use PNG for transparencies (which are around 10% of the data).

Won't adress PNG -> WEBP yet as that is annoying AF workflow with Photoshop (shoutout to Adobe for the crappiest, most contrived save as / export dialogue in the history of man in their paid top tier software...).

That being said, I can probably keep the total distribution well below 1.5 GB even with the next 8 Versions until the game is done by preferring jpeg

Thats my 2 cents on the topic. Thanks for the suggestion, wouldn't have looked into it otherwise.

y.v.

P.S. Please refrain from suggesting that Windows would be better :)
I generally dislike using PC for graphics work. The GPU draws more power than a small village and makes sounds like the X-Men Hover Carrier... :))

Hermenegild

Sep 18, 2017
[...] I honestly thought ZIP would make short work of the PNG but I remembered then that ZIP algorithm gives up on already compressed files which PNG obviously are in its eyes :)
That's not it. The ZIP algorithm shows its strength when there is a lot of repeating byte strings. This is the case when compressing text files or documents, but not in images. With colors in the image changing even so slightly from pixel to pixel, such repeating strings are rare. ZIP can't find enough of them to get a significant decrease in size, so it's really not the best way to compress an image. (Neither is any other generic compression method, be it RAR, ARJ, GZIP, BZIP2, or 7Z).

A PNG image stores all the image data intact, as it uses a lossless compression algorithm. JPG on the other hand is only the approximation of the original image. Granted, the approximation is optimized so that the differences should be hard to notice to an eye, but they're there. Try to convert a screenshot to JPG and you'll see them plainly. The trick is, by using this lossy compression, JPG can achieve much better compression rates, at the cost of making it impossible to fully recreate the original image.
From next version I will add full screen images where possible as JPG format and only use PNG for transparencies (which are around 10% of the data).
And this should work well enough. Just don't remove the source PNG images from your hard drive.
Won't adress PNG -> WEBP yet as that is annoying AF workflow with Photoshop (shoutout to Adobe for the crappiest, most contrived save as / export dialogue in the history of man in their paid top tier software...). [...]
I'm not sure what your distribution workflow looks like, but I assume you have some automated procedure for creating a distributable package, something like a Makefile. If I were you, I would look into plugging some command line image conversion tools into this procedure. This way you could avoid exporting from Photoshop altogether, and let the command line tools to do the job. Send me a PM if you're interested and we can try to work it out.

Sep 13, 2017
Won't adress PNG -> WEBP yet as that is annoying AF workflow with Photoshop (shoutout to Adobe for the crappiest, most contrived save as / export dialogue in the history of man in their paid top tier software...).
If I were you, I would look into plugging some command line image conversion tools into this procedure.
Xnview has mac support, and a really good batch conversion module. You could keep your workflow exactly the same (keeping the originals separate), just batch convert at the end.

Hermenegild

Sep 18, 2017
Xnview has mac support, and a really good batch conversion module. You could keep your workflow exactly the same (keeping the originals separate), just batch convert at the end.
I was thinking more along the lines of ImageMagick, it's a command line tool so it could be plugged into build managers like make. I have no experience creating RenPy projects, I don't know if the "build distributions" process is customizable, but if it is, it will be easier to plug a command line tool into it than a viewer.

yv0751

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2017
That's not it. The ZIP algorithm shows its strength when there is a lot of repeating byte strings. This is the case when compressing text files or documents, but not in images. With colors in the image changing even so slightly from pixel to pixel, such repeating strings are rare. ZIP can't find enough of them to get a significant decrease in size, so it's really not the best way to compress an image. (Neither is any other generic compression method, be it RAR, ARJ, GZIP, BZIP2, or 7Z).

A PNG image stores all the image data intact, as it uses a lossless compression algorithm. JPG on the other hand is only the approximation of the original image. Granted, the approximation is optimized so that the differences should be hard to notice to an eye, but they're there. Try to convert a screenshot to JPG and you'll see them plainly. The trick is, by using this lossy compression, JPG can achieve much better compression rates, at the cost of making it impossible to fully recreate the original image.

And this should work well enough. Just don't remove the source PNG images from your hard drive.

I'm not sure what your distribution workflow looks like, but I assume you have some automated procedure for creating a distributable package, something like a Makefile. If I were you, I would look into plugging some command line image conversion tools into this procedure. This way you could avoid exporting from Photoshop altogether, and let the command line tools to do the job. Send me a PM if you're interested and we can try to work it out.
Thanks for the info. Thats probably the way to go. Maintain all flat scenes as PNG and then batch convert them to JPG

yv0751

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2017
Version V0.90 coming soon :)
I can't wait to "ride" the PonyGirl ;)

View attachment 2919180
Alas, that has to wait.
A vote for V0.9 resulted in sex scenes for Nimhe instead and more NSFW content with certain side character (Infiltrator, Space Patrol, Veronica). But it is still on the schedule for later version.
Want to make a ponygirl race minigame out of it though which needs some design consideration first...

sweetit

Aug 17, 2020
Alas, that has to wait.
A vote for V0.9 resulted in sex scenes for Nimhe instead and more NSFW content with certain side character (Infiltrator, Space Patrol, Veronica). But it is still on the schedule for later version.
Want to make a ponygirl race minigame out of it though which needs some design consideration first...
if you make the race an "A"d" clicker game it would make people so mad but i will love you forever

EPGerhart

Dec 24, 2017
I once drug out my old Avalon Hill board games "Circus Maximus" and "Speed Circuit" (originally a 3M game) as well as some bicycle racing games (like "Devil Take The Hindmost") to "borrow" ideas for one of those (a ponygirl harness racing game). Not a fan of clickers, myself.

yv0751

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2017
I once drug out my old Avalon Hill board games "Circus Maximus" and "Speed Circuit" (originally a 3M game) as well as some bicycle racing games (like "Devil Take The Hindmost") to "borrow" ideas for one of those (a ponygirl harness racing game). Not a fan of clickers, myself.
Thanks for the hint with the board game!
Will check it out.

yv0751

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2017
Hi,

here is a Release Schedule Update V0.9c & V1.00 and a Preview Screen for V1.00 (our Hero meets the Chief Librarian...).

V0.9c
  • DONE Patreon Release
  • 15.09. Public Release (F95 & itch.io)
V1.00
  • 14.09. Start of Integration
  • 17.09. Beta
  • 22.09. Early Access Phase I (VIP Tier)
  • 29.09. Early Access Phase II (All-Access Tier)
  • 05.10. Official Patreon Release (if EA ok)
  • 19.10. Public Release (if EA ok)

cutscene_kythera_study_one.jpg

lhucio

Jan 7, 2021
I was stopping by just to tell the dev yv0751 that he's a god of work. You are a consistent guy, who gives to his patrons a thousand times more than other devs.

Personally I'm not currently in a good financial position, otherwise I would support you on patreon 100%.

All I can do is tell you, thanks man, you are the fucking master.

yv0751

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2017
I was stopping by just to tell the dev yv0751 that he's a god of work. You are a consistent guy, who gives to his patrons a thousand times more than other devs.

Personally I'm not currently in a good financial position, otherwise I would support you on patreon 100%.

All I can do is tell you, thanks man, you are the fucking master.
Thanks. I appreciate that feedback!

At the moment I fortunately have the leisure to put quite some time into that hobby of mine, which accounts for the regular updates.

Let's hope I can keep up the motivation and that the reach for the game I'm working on is continuing to grow. :)

A free version will always be available some time after the patron releases.

4.30 star(s) 40 Votes