hellscape69

May 27, 2020
The content for all of the updates this year so far had actually been planned by Ranli since January. He posted a schedule back then with descriptions for all of them up to June.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So far, he hasn't actually deviated much from the plans. The March and April updates ended up combined in the end, and the May update included Chad's dream instead of Cici's, probably so that there would be both Gay and Straight content for the update.

He hasn't developed any original Holodeck missions so far, which is a shame, as I think this is one of the main reasons why the 2nd season feels so empty and content-less so far. He had introduced so many characters to interact with, but most of the missions right now are by guest writers that promote their own games and characters. The February update was probably the only really "solid" update so far because it actually utilized the original characters and had them interacting.

I have pretty mixed feelings about the overall pace of the development. While clearly it allows for consistent updates that are (mostly) on schedule, it is kind of ridiculous when you think about it - it has taken half a year to create one in-game day. At this rate the game won't be finished in a reasonable amount of time. On the other hand, this is a one-man project, and I wouldn't pretend to know how time-consuming and exhausting game development is. Ranli seems to have found a pace that works for him, and it's probably better than having the updates come out months apart, like with the bunk updates, but, imo, I still want them to have a bit more substance to them.
So could you please tell me when we will get cici content next?
Will it be June or July or will we not know until it happens?

WazawaiDa

May 8, 2023
New update schedule just dropped, looks like the next update is coming out in July now. Sarge/Sam/Fatima content in August, Krathi in September, Cici and Cole in November.

I kind of feel bad for all of the Cici fans, but it's also pretty funny how shafted they get. Like this is probably not the type of game to follow/play if you're only really interested in one of the many characters, but it's also been, what, more than a year since there was unique content featuring her? And this is in spite of her being one of the main characters and having a very prominent role in the 1st season.

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
New update schedule just dropped, looks like the next update is coming out in July now. Sarge/Sam/Fatima content in August, Krathi in September, Cici and Cole in November.

I kind of feel bad for all of the Cici fans, but it's also pretty funny how shafted they get. Like this is probably not the type of game to follow/play if you're only really interested in one of the many characters, but it's also been, what, more than a year since there was unique content featuring her? And this is in spite of her being one of the main characters and having a very prominent role in the 1st season.
Makes sense to me that Cis would have the least content, as the most taboo character she would have the most barriers, I wouldn't expect much from her till the mid-late game when the MC has grown into his sexuality.

WazawaiDa

May 8, 2023
Makes sense to me that Cis would have the least content, as the most taboo character she would have the most barriers, I wouldn't expect much from her till the mid-late game when the MC has grown into his sexuality.
I mean, it doesn't have to be an outright sex scene with the MC, but, really, just any content that features her prominently. She could be checking in with Jimmy about the training and the missions or talk about her own experiences during training. You can create a lot of scenes with this set-up that don't have to feature the MC directly. Like, for example:

"Hey, Cis, Sarge has invited me to train with her in the morning!"
"Oh, she did, did she? I had some experiences with her myself when I was a cadet..."
"(What does she mean by that? Maybe I should read her mind?)" *insert sex scene with Cis and Sarge*

Also, I have no idea what you mean about taboo, Cici is only Jimmy's ex-roomie :)

gregers

Forum Fanatic
Dec 9, 2018
I mean, it doesn't have to be an outright sex scene with the MC, but, really, just any content that features her prominently. She could be checking in with Jimmy about the training and the missions or talk about her own experiences during training. You can create a lot of scenes with this set-up that don't have to feature the MC directly. Like, for example:

"Oh, she did, did she? I had some experiences with her myself when I was a cadet..."
"(What does she mean by that? Maybe I should read her mind?)" *insert sex scene with Cis and Sarge*

Also, I have no idea what you mean about taboo, Cici is only Jimmy's ex-roomie :)
I somehow doubt that those who thirst noisily for more Ci-ci content would be appeased by another scene with her and someone else.

She's clearly not bothered by ... roommate shenanigans as witness the whole Felix thing, but the MC still has to get over his hang-ups.

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018

I do understand what you're saying and in a perfect world that would be happening, but Dev time is limited and this game has such a massive scope and seems to have even bigger ambitions of bringing a whole host of characters who we have barely met. We'd need a much bigger (faster) Dev team to include the Cis content on top of this expanding the Spacecorps universe.

WazawaiDa

May 8, 2023
I somehow doubt that those who thirst noisily for more Ci-ci content would be appeased by another scene with her and someone else.

She's clearly not bothered by ... roommate shenanigans as witness the whole Felix thing, but the MC still has to get over his hang-ups.
Fair point, most Cici fans seem to just want the MC and her to get intimate already, and that's probably not going to happen in a long while (as in, like, years). While I think it does partially have to do with the MC's personal reservations and feelings, I think the lack of Cici content has probably more to do with the lack of development time. Right now, when it comes to Love Interest content, Fatima and Sam are taking the priority because of the popularity polls, and we will have to wait for all of their shower scenes to be done (7 in total, 4 of them still left to make) for other characters to get the spotlight.

I do understand what you're saying and in a perfect world that would be happening, but Dev time is limited and this game has such a massive scope and seems to have even bigger ambitions of bringing a whole host of characters who we have barely met. We'd need a much bigger (faster) Dev team to include the Cis content on top of this expanding the Spacecorps universe.
This is all true, but it just makes me wish Ranli did actually outsource some parts of the development so that more of the game's potential was being realized.

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
This is all true, but it just makes me wish Ranli did actually outsource some parts of the development so that more of the game's potential was being realized.
The biggest question in my mind is how much can be outsourced without affecting quality, delegating work load might not gain as much productivity as you expect, as he will then need to spend more and more of his time managing the team instead of creating content himself (skill in creating a game doesn't translate into skill in managing a team) not to mention loss of connection to the project without being hands on with every aspect could lead to loss of interest and yet an other abandoned game for the F95 catalogue.

Reactions: EndlessNights

perles75

May 16, 2020

I believe the reason why Cis was put into the back-burner was mostly that she didn't fare extremely well in the favourite characters poll that Ranli did one year ago. I think she didn't even reach the semifinals.

On the other hand, a recent poll showed that she was the most popular female LI (which is kinda strange, as Fatima won the favourite female character overall) -but maybe that was too late to tweak the schedule.

Reactions: ARB582

perles75

May 16, 2020
I think that's a real problem, the game is very widespread and definitely not a work for one man army. If you think about it, season 2 should be 90 days and we're at the 5th (or 6th?)!

However it's easier said than done, you need to find someone that gets the spirit of the game (if you want to make the person write stuff) or the style (if you want them to make the graphics) or both; you're dependent on another person(s) for schedule release, you have to manage without micromanage, and of course it costs money.
I think Ranli tried to do it in some measure by commissioning holodeck missions from guest devs (to allow him more time for story development), but it seems to have dried out a bit (which is frankly understandable, as there are not many devs out there that can spare the free time -or have the inclination- to do something relatively complex for another game.

Reactions: ARB582

WazawaiDa

May 8, 2023
I think that's a real problem, the game is very widespread and definitely not a work for one man army. If you think about it, season 2 should be 90 days and we're at the 5th (or 6th?)!

However it's easier said than done, you need to find someone that gets the spirit of the game (if you want to make the person write stuff) or the style (if you want them to make the graphics) or both; you're dependent on another person(s) for schedule release, you have to manage without micromanage, and of course it costs money.
I think Ranli tried to do it in some measure by commissioning holodeck missions from guest devs (to allow him more time for story development), but it seems to have dried out a bit (which is frankly understandable, as there are not many devs out there that can spare the free time -or have the inclination- to do something relatively complex for another game.
Yeah, I think that outsourcing development outside of the missions will be very unlikely. Ranli has been the main artist and writer since the beginning, and delegating either to someone else would probably affect the overall feel of the game. On the other hand, it is probably the only way to speed up the development, unless Ranli starts working on the game full-time, which I don't think he is right now, but that's probably not a good idea.

I think Ranli's current pace is deliberate. I feel like the intention behind splitting the days up into portions and working on each of them monthly is to make the updates follow a consistent schedule, and one he knows he can stick to. The problem is that it is kind of unsustainable in the long run for the all of the development to actually pay off. The current update is the end of the 4th day. There are 4 days left in the 1st week, while the season is overall planned to last for several in-game weeks. According to a previous Patreon post, the intention is to have some of the weeks be filler, so that bi players can catch up on all of the mission content and the shower scenes. However, there are still a bunch of main story weeks to be developed, and it will take years at the current rate. I really hope that at some point the updates will switch to one in-game day per month, or at least half a day.

Dec 13, 2018

Looks like I'm not going to play for another year or so. I only play this game for Cis content. That's my girl right there....

perles75

May 16, 2020
Yeah, I think that outsourcing development outside of the missions will be very unlikely. Ranli has been the main artist and writer since the beginning, and delegating either to someone else would probably affect the overall feel of the game. On the other hand, it is probably the only way to speed up the development, unless Ranli starts working on the game full-time, which I don't think he is right now, but that's probably not a good idea.

I think Ranli's current pace is deliberate. I feel like the intention behind splitting the days up into portions and working on each of them monthly is to make the updates follow a consistent schedule, and one he knows he can stick to. The problem is that it is kind of unsustainable in the long run for the all of the development to actually pay off. The current update is the end of the 4th day. There are 4 days left in the 1st week, while the season is overall planned to last for several in-game weeks. According to a previous Patreon post, the intention is to have some of the weeks be filler, so that bi players can catch up on all of the mission content and the shower scenes. However, there are still a bunch of main story weeks to be developed, and it will take years at the current rate. I really hope that at some point the updates will switch to one in-game day per month, or at least half a day.
I also think that the structure of season 2 is such that you would really enjoy it only when there is a lot of content, as it's based on missions and not a structured narration. Several days can be filled very quickly if you have already a good bunch of missions to select from, which is not the case yet.
But yes, I agree the pace is deliberate -the fact that he largely managed to stick to his development plan of the first six months confirms it. I have the feeling that he secretly hoped to get many holodeck missions via collaborations so he could have focused on the storyline, which is not going exactly as planned, I think. (plus as sometimes happens he got himself distracted by stuff like the dream sequences a bit too much)
I also agree that it's rather unsustainable in the long run (not to mention that the acquisition of several attributes is going too slowly and will probably need to be recalibrated somehow). My hope is that he will plan multi-days field missions after a certain day onwards, which would allow to progress the story as well as giving points (maybe depending on your in-story choices, so that you will define your career), after a certain day. I can't see how he can keep this pace for the 90 days the season 2 is supposed to last...

WazawaiDa

May 8, 2023
So a new poll just started on Patreon, the results will determine what branch will get the priority in the development for a while, and it will get the first missions released first. As was mentioned in the schedule, the first one will be out in October.

So far, the comfort section is leading by a lot, which is kind of disappointing, imo. I guess it is one of the more underdeveloped branches story-wise right now, like I can't really think of a character in the game that represents it off the top of my head. But, imo, all the other branches have so much more potential in terms of the story development and progression. There are so many interesting directions to take the development of the MC, and you choose to turn him into a prostitute for the troops to use? Man, I don't get bottoms at all.

4.10 star(s) 168 Votes