Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
It makes the text somewhat difficult to understand for people whose language is not English, but I finally understood. I'm still wondering where those bizarre words have come from. Why don't we all speak a language which has no gender (Japanese, Turkish, Persian...)?
Japan has gender in their language, China doesn't.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
It makes the text somewhat difficult to understand for people whose language is not English, but I finally understood. I'm still wondering where those bizarre words have come from. Why don't we all speak a language which has no gender (Japanese, Turkish, Persian...)?
The language most people tend to speak as a "universal" language is based on the language spoken by the greatest current influence.

For instance, during older times, Latin was spoken pretty broadly since the Roman Republic / Roman Empire was the greatest influence in the world. Before that, when the Egyptian Empire was spread broadly, Egyptian was spoken throughout the world of commerce and in official political settings. In the 1100s, when the French-speaking Normans were in power throughout England, large numbers of people on the island started speaking French in addition to their native Old English. (This eventually became a hybrid of the two, which is partly why Modern English is so screwed up today.)

For now, at least, the United States, Canada, and Great Britain are three of the most influential lands in the world. Because each of them speaks English, their language has been spread widely. When it comes to speaking a language, humans don't tend to rely on whatever is most efficient nearly as much as what is most beneficial for day-to-day life. Since business in the world is still heavily influenced by English-speaking countries, the English language continues to be heavily used internationally.
Supporting what you said, in Japanese there are different ways of saying I and you, specifically dependent on gender. In Chinese, the pronoun (whether written as , , and ) is pronounced the same and only differentiated in writing and context; and, of course, companies more and more use the pinyin of instead of the zhuyin equivalents.

Udayana

Oct 19, 2021
The language most people tend to speak as a "universal" language is based on the language spoken by the greatest current influence.

For instance, during older times, Latin was spoken pretty broadly since the Roman Republic / Roman Empire was the greatest influence in the world. Before that, when the Egyptian Empire was spread broadly, Egyptian was spoken throughout the world of commerce and in official political settings. In the 1100s, when the French-speaking Normans were in power throughout England, large numbers of people on the island started speaking French in addition to their native Old English. (This eventually became a hybrid of the two, which is partly why Modern English is so screwed up today.)

For now, at least, the United States, Canada, and Great Britain are three of the most influential lands in the world. Because each of them speaks English, their language has been spread widely. When it comes to speaking a language, humans don't tend to rely on whatever is most efficient nearly as much as what is most beneficial for day-to-day life. Since business in the world is still heavily influenced by English-speaking countries, the English language continues to be heavily used internationally.

Supporting what you said, in Japanese there are different ways of saying I and you, specifically dependent on gender. In Chinese, the pronoun (whether written as , , and ) is pronounced the same and only differentiated in writing and context; and, of course, companies more and more use the pinyin of instead of the zhuyin equivalents.
I am well aware of all that, and I would add to the last comment that in Japanese there are also those silly particles that you add to the end of a sentence and which differ according to your "gender". But we certainly can't speak Telugu which has two genders:
— high gender : about one man or several women,
— low gender : about one woman or an animal or a thing.
Muzukashii desu ne.

Last edited:

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I am well aware of all that, and I would add to the last comment that in Japanese there are also those silly particles that you add to the end of a sentence and which differ according to your "gender". But we certainly can't speak Telugu which has two genders:
— high gender : about one man or several women,
— low gender : about one woman or an animal or a thing.
Muzukashii desu ne.
You say that, but you previously said, "Why don't we all speak a language which has no gender". I was responding to that sentence, which at least in part isn't true (about Japanese). I have no idea about Turkish or Persian; those are not among the different languages I've studied. And yes, I agree that based on what you described about it, Telugu would be bad and trigger tons of people. 勝利のための言語。

karlpilkert

Jan 16, 2018
that on my chosen Haegemony path
This one is the problem; hegemony path indeed had very little that would warrant being called an update - the Aloshan path had content. Wouldn't exclude the possiblity that the next update focuses on the other path and has reversed roles (low Aloshan content, much more Hegemony)

Reactions: DisturbedMan

njdawg

Sep 1, 2018
Is the Hegemony route on chapter 9 supposed to be *really* brief? I've replayed it a few times. Clicking all the different options, but there are no sex scenes (aside from a single still image that seems to be patreon bonus), no discernible changes from any choices except at the end right before the chapter ends), no choice of crew interaction, and even the main plot basically consists of a flashback, one exploration scene, and then the end scene.

Was this update just heavily focused on Aloshan content instead? Trying to figure out if that's the case, or if I'm somehow missing something.

Edit: Just noticed the preceding comment as soon as I posted this, which seems to confirm that this update *is* heavily focused on the Aloshan path. No biggie, but would be nice if the announcement mentioned that. Would've saved some confusion. Time to find an older save file and run through the Aloshan route instead. :)

Agni2013

Developing 'The Lost Chapters'
Game Developer
May 3, 2019
I won't say Japan has gender, more like sounding harsh or polite. watashi, boku, ore: all mean I, neither strictly masculine or feminine. There is also ware, used more in a business setting. However, ore being the most harsh sounding, is usually used by men among their peers. There's also the fact that here people would usually skill pronouns in casual conversation.

Apologies if I sound like a snob, wasn't my intent. I just find these conversations about language very interesting.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

ZTex

Engaged Member
Apr 3, 2019
I won't say Japan has gender, more like sounding harsh or polite. watashi, boku, ore: all mean I, neither strictly masculine or feminine. There is also ware, used more in a business setting. However, ore being the most harsh sounding, is usually used by men among their peers. There's also the fact that here people would usually skill pronouns in casual conversation.

Apologies if I sound like a snob, wasn't my intent. I just find these conversations about language very interesting.
That's just not accurate.
Infact several kanji used in japanese are directly derived from gender based associations and their words are as well.

Jayjayj

Aug 15, 2017
Did the size of the text get smaller? Don't remember it being so small last time I played this. Need a way to make it bigger.

DisturbedMan

Feb 5, 2018
Did the size of the text get smaller? Don't remember it being so small last time I played this. Need a way to make it bigger.
There is an option called Accessibility in the Preferences menu. There you can change the text size and other things.

Agni2013

Game Developer
May 3, 2019
That's just not accurate.
Infact several kanji used in japanese are directly derived from gender based associations and their words are as well.
You are correct. Take the words for nurse, 看護士(male)、看護婦(female)、看護師(neutral)。However, in most cases, the gender neutral form is used.
However, I was speaking about gendered pronouns. Cheers :)

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
You are correct. Take the words for nurse, 看護士(male)、看護婦(female)、看護師(neutral)。However, in most cases, the gender neutral form is used.
However, I was speaking about gendered pronouns. Cheers :)
Kanojo is she in Japanese so gendered pronouns exist.

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

Agni2013

Game Developer
May 3, 2019
Kanojo is she in Japanese so gendered pronouns exist.
You are correct. I somehow forgot about third person pronouns. :)
In my defense however, pronouns are rarely used in daily conversations. It is more natural to call people by their name or title. kanojo by default would imply girlfriend.

BlueOrchid

Oct 27, 2020
Sex scenes are short, and when I say short I mean short even for one of those old flash games! (2-3 stills per?) I'm not expecting you to run through the entire kama sutra, but too much of the game plays out "sans kinky results" Do some close-ups. Have some sexual dialog that doesn't have to be: "oh" "oh yes" "right there" "keep going" "ow you're on my hair"

drmaddoc47

Creator of Starship Inanna
Game Developer
Jun 15, 2018
I have a bug with the continuation. On the Hegemony path the saves go from chapter 8 to chapter 7 and the gameplay time is really small
Can you be a bit more specific? Is the game going from Episode 8 to Episode 7? Also Hegemony story is the small one this episode, Aloshan story is the larger, basically the inverse of Episode 8.

drmaddoc47

Game Developer
Jun 15, 2018
Sex scenes are short, and when I say short I mean short even for one of those old flash games! (2-3 stills per?) I'm not expecting you to run through the entire kama sutra, but too much of the game plays out "sans kinky results" Do some close-ups. Have some sexual dialog that doesn't have to be: "oh" "oh yes" "right there" "keep going" "ow you're on my hair"
Honestly something I am trying to get better at, and hoping that reducing the number of sex scenes per episode in Season 2 will help going forward (the plan for Season 2 is to be a little less plot driven and a bit more episodic and character driven so characters have more time when they are featured in the episode and that will let more of my brain space work on each sex scene).

Cabin Fever

Engaged Member
Nov 23, 2018
Can you be a bit more specific? Is the game going from Episode 8 to Episode 7? Also Hegemony story is the small one this episode, Aloshan story is the larger, basically the inverse of Episode 8.
I've noticed that on the Hegemony path, the save file built-in description reverses back to Episode 7 for male MC, and stay on Episode 8 for female MC. But it's totally cosmetic and doesn't really affect gameplay. That's probably what AM97 meant.

drmaddoc47

Game Developer
Jun 15, 2018
I've noticed that on the Hegemony path, the save file built-in description reverses back to Episode 7 for male MC, and stay on Episode 8 for female MC. But it's totally cosmetic and doesn't really affect gameplay. That's probably what AM97 meant.
Defining save_names are going to take longer than I have for the next update (which is going live tonight) but I will fix it in the next update after. Somehow that got lost in the shuffle of the production.

Alex5280

Sep 3, 2020
I am getting this error in Episode 4 on version 9.0.5.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

Executing ATL code at game/Ep4.rpy:802
TypeError: 'float' object is not iterable

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "Ep4.rpyc", line 800, in script
File "renpy/ast.py", line 1443, in execute
renpy.exports.with_statement(trans, paired)
File "renpy/exports.py", line 1684, in with_statement
return renpy.game.interface.do_with(trans, paired, clear=clear)
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 2762, in do_with
clear=clear)
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3325, in interact
repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, pause=pause, pause_start=pause_start, **kwargs)
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3839, in interact_core
self.draw_screen(root_widget, fullscreen_video, (not fullscreen_video) or video_frame_drawn)
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 2565, in draw_screen
renpy.config.screen_height,
File "render.pyx", line 492, in renpy.display.render.render_screen
File "render.pyx", line 263, in renpy.display.render.render
File "renpy/display/layout.py", line 826, in render
surf = render(child, width, height, cst, cat)
File "render.pyx", line 170, in renpy.display.render.render
File "renpy/display/transition.py", line 368, in render
top = render(self.new_widget, width, height, st, at)
File "renpy/display/transform.py", line 733, in render
return transform_render(self, width, height, st, at)
File "accelerator.pyx", line 148, in renpy.display.accelerator.transform_render
File "renpy/display/transform.py", line 908, in update_state
fr = self.execute(self, self.st, self.at)
File "renpy/atl.py", line 585, in execute
action, arg, pause = block.execute(trans, timebase, self.atl_state, events)
File "renpy/atl.py", line 792, in execute
action, arg, pause = stmt.execute(trans, target - start, child_state, events)
File "renpy/atl.py", line 1189, in execute
setattr(newts, k, v)
File "renpy/display/transform.py", line 287, in set_align
self.xanchor, self.yanchor = value
TypeError: 'float' object is not iterable

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266
Starship Inanna 9.0.5
Mon Jan 10 20:08:45 2022

BlueOrchid

Oct 27, 2020
Honestly something I am trying to get better at, and hoping that reducing the number of sex scenes per episode in Season 2 will help going forward (the plan for Season 2 is to be a little less plot driven and a bit more episodic and character driven so characters have more time when they are featured in the episode and that will let more of my brain space work on each sex scene).
I hear you, man! We're all faced with killing our darlings... Unfortunately, procrastination is only the perfection of yesterday. :( I will also add one cake emoji :illuminati:

3.90 star(s) 29 Votes