Krynh

Engaged Member
Jan 20, 2020
Wish the dev would center the text and text box. Reading across the sceen is annoying especially when its in the far left corner.
Proper formatting is a must for long walls of text. :/
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
1643223684258.png
Hallucinogens

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Wish the dev would center the text and text box. Reading across the sceen is annoying especially when its in the far left corner.
Proper formatting is a must for long walls of text. :/
View attachment 1618018
Hallucinogens
Are you referring to this type of centering?

Makes some sense... The Hegemony rewards everybody who helps a mission succeed, usually it's very small rewards.. some extra rations, clothing, a small stipend, sometimes promotions up the ladder. Most of the time it's helpful to their cause... a civilian, someone who's beaten or starving will end up fighting an operative for that chance at just slightly better life inside the Hegemony. It's even happened during extractions where the target has attacked and even killed the person trying to help them escape... that's why we do months of comms and checks now... though it still happens.

Or are you meaning more something like cushion between the left and right sides?

Krynh

Engaged Member
Jan 20, 2020
Are you referring to this type of centering?

Makes some sense... The Hegemony rewards everybody who helps a mission succeed, usually it's very small rewards.. some extra rations, clothing, a small stipend, sometimes promotions up the ladder. Most of the time it's helpful to their cause... a civilian, someone who's beaten or starving will end up fighting an operative for that chance at just slightly better life inside the Hegemony. It's even happened during extractions where the target has attacked and even killed the person trying to help them escape... that's why we do months of comms and checks now... though it still happens.

Or are you meaning more something like cushion between the left and right sides?
Something like this. The text is much closer to the center and large paragraphs don't exist. With that much text its easy for the eyes to just glance over it. Although centering it would be a good start, it's less useful for the times when it's just a few words right at the farrr left of the screen.

1643241924460.png

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Something like this. The text is much closer to the center and large paragraphs don't exist. With that much text its easy for the eyes to just glance over it. Although centering it would be a good start, it's less useful for the times when it's just a few words right at the farrr left of the screen.

View attachment 1618459
So more spacing on the left and right sides. Having text in smaller blocks is a separate matter, but also a good point with which I agree.

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
We seem to have forgotten so much about the printed media in just one generation. Kids are brought up on scanning phones for 5 or 6 words of text for each snootfull. Renpy's default text box is set up for just that sort of scripting since each actor is basically given a single line of script before tossing to the next.

Old farts like me were brought up on printed matter where paragraph widths were tuned to have 10 words or less per line before breaking to the next. Pages were set up to have two or three columns designed to flow around a photo or two in order to follow this guideline. Serifs were used in paragraphs to allow the eye to more easily follow the flow while sans-serif fonts got used for headlines. Proportionally spaced fonts also got used in favor of monospace for the same reasons.

The crap some people use in Renpy and the web nowadays can make my eyes bleed. If a VN like Starship Inanna needs to have a lot of exposition because it is essentially an old fashioned novel, it may be a good idea to throw the HUD to the left as a more narrow left third for those multiple paragraph moments. I've seen some Renpy customizations that have done just that to good effect.

View attachment 1618459

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
We seem to have forgotten so much about the printed media in just one generation. Kids are brought up on scanning phones for 5 or 6 words of text for each snootfull. Renpy's default text box is set up for just that sort of scripting since each actor is basically given a single line of script before tossing to the next.

Old farts like me were brought up on printed matter where paragraph widths were tuned to have 10 words or less per line before breaking to the next. Pages were set up to have two or three columns designed to flow around a photo or two in order to follow this guideline. Serifs were used in paragraphs to allow the eye to more easily follow the flow while sans-serif fonts got used for headlines. Proportionally spaced fonts also got used in favor of monospace for the same reasons.

The crap some people use in Renpy and the web nowadays can make my eyes bleed. If a VN like Starship Inanna needs to have a lot of exposition because it is essentially an old fashioned novel, it may be a good idea to throw the HUD to the left as a more narrow left third for those multiple paragraph moments. I've seen some Renpy customizations that have done just that to good effect.
The text seems normal to me, it's like reading a book.
Well, I agree that MadDocs could potentially appeal to a broader audience with smaller snippets of text per click. Not everyone today who reads visual novels comes from a background like we do. I actually don't have a problem with the text blocks myself at all. If I didn't have a hard time reading Victor Hugo, William Faulkner, or Joseph Conrad, I'm pretty sure longer paragraphs in a visual novel are fine for me.

I was speaking pretty much from a business perspective and audience appeal. I don't disagree on a basic level that larger blocks of text are more like paragraphs in a newspaper or novel. I'm not even saying MadDocs should change anything, if they don't want to. But as a trend among visual novels, it seems the medium wants less text per click generally. It's seems pretty standard for most VNs. I'm not saying it's bad to break the standard, but I admit that some people will not like that as much, which narrows the audience somewhat.

I'll keep playing and really enjoying the VN regardless.

Krynh

Engaged Member
Jan 20, 2020
The text seems normal to me, it's like reading a book.
Even in a book they jsutify the text and break it up into paragraphs.

I mean here two words and all could be in the center with a smaller textbox allowing you to see more.

I'm not saying cut down on the words, just format it better. and maybe break the scenes up a bit. example of how books do it

Last edited:

lMaDBoBl

May 8, 2017
i used the Patreon Codes to unlock the gallery and it worked in settings menu green unlocked icons but the gallery scenes remains locked for some reason any way around this? tried deleting my persistent file and reentering the codes but same problem

Reactions: CypherXXX

Neko-Chan Pacifica

Jul 6, 2021
is this game gimped? In the pdf it says something about you can interact with more characters or something but only if you sub to patreon? If I don't am i going to miss out on a lot of characters that I can interact with me? I really don't understand. sorry english is not my first language so i do not understand its actual meaning.

drmaddoc47

Creator of Starship Inanna
Game Developer
Jun 15, 2018
is this game gimped? In the pdf it says something about you can interact with more characters or something but only if you sub to patreon? If I don't am i going to miss out on a lot of characters that I can interact with me? I really don't understand. sorry english is not my first language so i do not understand its actual meaning.
I'm afraid I don't understand. What PDF?
There's only one non-plot sex scene currently that is Patreon exclusive, it's in Episode 9. When Episode 10 releases, it will unlock for everyone. I'm not in favor of things like story arcs being behind paywalls and would never restrict things in that way.

As for Krynh , -CookieMonster666- , and phupdup I have found the discussion on the formatting interesting. Something to think of on my part to see if I want to go through changing the text pacing, but I appreciate the feedback.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Think you are in the wrong thread.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I'm afraid I don't understand. What PDF?
There's only one non-plot sex scene currently that is Patreon exclusive, it's in Episode 9. When Episode 10 releases, it will unlock for everyone. I'm not in favor of things like story arcs being behind paywalls and would never restrict things in that way.

As for Krynh , -CookieMonster666- , and phupdup I have found the discussion on the formatting interesting. Something to think of on my part to see if I want to go through changing the text pacing, but I appreciate the feedback.
Just one perspective, of course. I really enjoy the game with it as it is. :)

Krynh

Engaged Member
Jan 20, 2020
Ultimately its down to the creator, but some simple formatting would make things a lot easier to read. Same with keeping text always at the bottom rather than having to read at the top of the screen too.

DisturbedMan

Feb 5, 2018
would be nice if we could choose the color of our mc....just saying
Good idea but I can see why the dev didn't want to go down that route. Just imagine redoing the entire game with let's say 3 MC from different ethnic groups (skin color). That would take alllooong time to update and finish the game.

Reactions: D3xter_

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
From the OP:
Changelog:
v9.0.5 is currently uploaded to the in-game updater (give it about an hour for the website)
-Fixed Corbin and David throwing errors in John and Jane stories respectively when using older saves
-Fixed Rachel throwing an error about missing Latris font in Aloshan story
-Fixed error during questions at the end of John Hegemony story
-Fixed main Gallery menu not working visually for Episode 9 Male
-Added walkthrough on World-Anvil and linked it to the Episode 9 Gallery pages
So no, no new story content since v9.0. This is a fix and walkthrough update.

Reactions: indio68

CypherXXX

May 17, 2017
Hey, so I'm trying to unlock the gallery (version 0.9.1) using the patreon codes and they don't seem to be working at all for me. I'm seeing blue padlocks next to the gallery names in the preferences menu, however whenever I go to the gallery itself, the scenes are still grayed out for me. Any ideas on a fix drmaddoc47 ?

3.90 star(s) 29 Votes