Unity Steps 4 Happiness [v0.2.2.1] [MaliXe]

4.50 star(s) 11 Votes

bobdillan

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2016
I predict NTR, cause either the son or the dad is probably gonna get cucked at some point... #poordad cause is always the dad. Although tbf, they usually deserve it.

cooperdk

Engaged Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sorry but not impressed with the artwork or models. Also it is a sandbox! Please tag it as such. Unity is a lousy engine.
Unity is a lousy engine?

Ehm... no. It is among the best of them!

Unity can do everything that Unreal can do and more. You just plug in what you need, which is the issue, a lot of the assets cost money. But so do they for Unreal, and Unreal is immensely more tedious meaning longer between updates.

Unity is basically the best engine for quick development, whether or not we're talking 3D or visual novels. Or management games.

Also, it is the choice if you want to develop for multiple platforms. Renpy makes no guarantees that what you do will work on other platforms.

satan1972

Apr 25, 2017
Unity is a lousy engine?

Unity can do everything that Unreal can do and more. You just plug in what you need, which is the issue, a lot of the assets cost money. But so do they for Unreal, and Unreal is immensely more tedious meaning longer between updates.

Unity is basically the best engine for quick development, whether or not we're talking 3D or visual novels. Or management games.

Also, it is the choice if you want to develop for multiple platforms. Renpy makes no guarantees that what you do will work on other platforms.
Unity is shit, it runs like a dog and has the worst optimisations of ANY engine (And before any comments about my computer being crap, im running a top 1% gaming PC.).

The only game that works well on Unity is Timestamps; and even that game i'd rather it be retooled and run on REN'PY (if only for the better SAVE system).

And @MaliXe, love the story and where it seems to be going; but i'd recommend moving to better renders and Ren'py, even if you have to move to static pics and lose most of the animations.

Arshavinstyle

Donor
Feb 28, 2020
Unity is shit, it runs like a dog and has the worst optimisations of ANY engine (And before any comments about my computer being crap, im running a top 1% gaming PC.).

The only game that works well on Unity is Timestamps; and even that game i'd rather it be retooled and run on REN'PY (if only for the better SAVE system).

And @MaliXe, love the story and where it seems to be going; but i'd recommend moving to better renders and Ren'py, even if you have to move to static pics and lose most of the animations.
Nice to meet you VN auto-text reader :whistle:

There are quite a few "games" that work great with Unity.

If your pc is between 1% then mine is at 0.1%, in gaming the only good thing you have is the processor and the m2 to load faster in certain games. The optimization depends on the developer and not the engine (there are engines easier and more difficult), I tell you for steps 4 hapiness I play it smoothly at 144hz 2k.

Last edited:

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
Unity is a lousy engine?

I would say that Renpy it's the best for visual novels, because you know, it's literally designed for that, but about everything else then yeah, unity is the best.

Reactions: Arshavinstyle

satan1972

Apr 25, 2017
@arshavinstyle post your specs, I bet mine shits on yours.

EDIT :Also "SAD" is your comment that you have a top .1% computer but wont front up.

Last edited:

Arshavinstyle

Donor
Feb 28, 2020
@arshavinstyle post your specs, I bet mine shits on yours.
Asus Rog Helios White Edition
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Asus Rog Strix White RTX 3090 24GB
Thermaltake Toughram 128GB 3600MHZ
XPG S70 2TB, 2 x Samsung 860 Pro 2TB and Western Digital Black 2TB HDD
Asus Rog Strix Crosshair Dark Hero VII X570
Asus Rog Strix LC 360 RGB

Asus Rog Strix 850W
ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQR

I have too much ram but you have a 1200W power supply ;)

Reactions: satan1972

satan1972

Apr 25, 2017
arshavinstyle , you fronted :)

LOL, I still have the better videocard.

Im also surprised you can get a 3090 running (or producing decent framerates) on a 850watt psu. Nice specs otherwise.

Ill also get back to you when I can find a 5950x CPU :p

Reactions: Arshavinstyle

Arshavinstyle

Donor
Feb 28, 2020
arshavinstyle , you fronted :)

LOL, I still have the better videocard.

Im also surprised you can get a 3090 running (or producing decent framerates) on a 850watt psu. Nice specs otherwise.

Ill also get back to you when I can find a 5950x CPU :p
Most games work better with Nvidia but there are some games that with amd graphics you can get more fps like Battlefield 5 and some others.

satan1972

Apr 25, 2017
arshavinstyle I was expecting some troubles with the AMD gpu, having just replaced a Nvidia 2080ti with it a month ago. But if anything Unity (and all my games from here or on steam) are running better on the 6900xt.

But bottom line is; if I had a choice of the same VN game on all the engines (unreal, unity,ren'py, rpgm etcetera) , i'd still prefer it on Ren'py.

MaliXe

Game Developer
Aug 1, 2019
Does the game have multiple protagonists as the description seems to indicate?

Only male protagonist is included in the tags, and there isn't any reference to it being more than one protagonist in the game (multiple protagonist tag).
From the second "Step" it will be possible to play with Nicole, you will be able to switch to Brendon to complete the side stories, but it will be necessary to play with Nicole to complete the second step. The third step will be with Barney, and again you can switch to Brendon and Nicole whenever you want. In the fourth step you start to play with Jane.

MaliXe

Game Developer
Aug 1, 2019
It might look good on a small android phone but it looks bad on bigger scenes.
I built a port for Android and tested it on my phone. The frame rate was good after I reduced the resolution, the problem is that the shadows and high lights were inverted, white shadows and dark lights. After further attempts, I concluded that the problem is my old cheap cell phone. As I don't have any other android device to test, I gave up on this port for now, but maybe in the future.

Reactions: Anonymousse007

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
From the second "Step" it will be possible to play with Nicole, you will be able to switch to Brendon to complete the side stories, but it will be necessary to play with Nicole to complete the second step. The third step will be with Barney, and again you can switch to Brendon and Nicole whenever you want. In the fourth step you start to play with Jane.
I'm not a big fan of having multiple protagonists in one game. I don't care too much about occasionally using another character, but having two or more main characters and switching between them eliminates the immersion from my point of view. For me, it can only work if the main characters interact little or nothing with each other, turning the game into a series of parallel stories, related by some common fact and that touch each other at some points, but that function basically separately, although later some may influence indirectly about what happens in the others.

In any case, for me, if I start the game with Brendon, he will always be the main character ... The others will be characters that I use occasionally, but I will make the choices with Brendon in mind and not them. It's the only way I think I can maintain the immersion to a certain extent.

Reactions: MaliXe
4.50 star(s) 11 Votes