VN Ren'Py Abandoned Storm Rising [v0.02] [Professor Cloak]

1.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Would u like to see characters from triple a games (like mia winters in this version) as bonus conte

• Yes

Votes: 363 78.7%
  • no

Votes: 98 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Professor Cloak

Game Developer
Feb 24, 2022
Thank you. I understand your "spoiler" concerns but you still need to say something during the few crucial moments you first have a consumer's attention!

In the future, as a creator you need to provide sufficient info to your potential audience so *they*, not you, can decide if they want to read/play/consume your work.

If they do not have enough to basic knowledge to interest them, you will lose your audience to other peoples' products that provide enough info. Worse, if you give incorrect info for your work you can lose your audience for things you have not even created, yet!

Try this: Go to a book store or software store and consider purchasing a product with your money, time, attention, vote, or whatever. Will *you* buy something that does not claim to have/do what you need & want? Will *you* buy an item that you know does not have what you need? Will you buy items that you know or other people state it does not *actually* contain? And will you buy something from someone who deliberately or inadvertantly defrauded you in the past?

You *must* provide enough info *now* for a consumer of your work to decide if they want to try it. Otherwise, you will lose customers now and in possibly in the future!

e-d (y)
I see thnx for the advice, I'm still new to this stuff so I do tend to suck at these kinda things , so these advices do help me move forward. I'll add it in the spoiler section again then.

BarbarrossaNA

Sep 10, 2019
Just not a lot to go on.. Although pretty raw the main thing I'd say is.. if you enjoyed making it then by all means continue.. I've seen DEVs that were a hot mess at their beginnings that through perseverance and hard headed dedication showed remarkable improvement over a bit of time. Good luck in your progression.

DrakoGhoul

Engaged Member
Jul 13, 2018
The storm isn't the only thing that's going to be rising in this game! Anyway, this looks like it'll be pretty good. I'll try it and see if I like it.

Professor Cloak

Game Developer
Feb 24, 2022
Just not a lot to go on.. Although pretty raw the main thing I'd say is.. if you enjoyed making it then by all means continue.. I've seen DEVs that were a hot mess at their beginnings that through perseverance and hard headed dedication showed remarkable improvement over a bit of time. Good luck in your progression.
Thanks a lot , and I do enjoy making it, I'm just not very good at it but I'm definitely learning as I go.

ropershy

Aug 14, 2020
Not a bad game. But at least for me it was a bit confusing at times. The Past, Present, Past, Present. At times I couldn't tell if MC was in the present or re-living something. The scenes from the Orphanage I didn't realize to almost the end that he was re-living that from the past.
Something else that didn't make sense is MC leaves collage and goes home. Talks to Emma for a bit then says he has to change and go to college? WTH he just left there. Why wouldn't he had just stayed if he had more classes. Plus why would he need to change again? Those clothes were good enough for his morning classes.

Professor Cloak

Game Developer
Feb 24, 2022
Not a bad game. But at least for me it was a bit confusing at times. The Past, Present, Past, Present. At times I couldn't tell if MC was in the present or re-living something. The scenes from the Orphanage I didn't realize to almost the end that he was re-living that from the past.
Something else that didn't make sense is MC leaves collage and goes home. Talks to Emma for a bit then says he has to change and go to college? WTH he just left there. Why wouldn't he had just stayed if he had more classes. Plus why would he need to change again? Those clothes were good enough for his morning classes.
Ya that was my mistake, I forgot to remove the lines there ...you see I was trying to implement a text mssg system in the mobile , where the the teacher would txt the mc to come meet her in the college where she would have a talk with him about the 'special favour' and asks him to wear something nice....but the codes in the txt mssg system were breaking the game ( since I'm not very good at advanced coding ) so i decided to postpone that scene for a future update but unfortunately I forgot the remove the mc's dialogues from the code as they were already done before i tried making the mssging system.

Professor Cloak

Game Developer
Feb 24, 2022
Also , you were not supposed to realize what was going on , which is the past or the present...u are going on a ride with the mc , and he is having these flashbacks or you might even call them hallucinations were he is getting lost in his past as if it was happening right now , trying to make sense or make amends to retrieve what he has lost only to later realize it is all gone.

Aug 25, 2021
I haven't tried the game yet, but I intend to in the next few days. I did want to offer a bit of advice on your synopsis, if you don't mind some constructive criticism with the intent of helping make it more appealing, and therefore, likely to draw more interest.

When you write your synopsis, that's what people are going to be taking as the example of your writing. Like reading the synopsis on the back of a book, this is your sales pitch, so to speak. It's what they will base their opinions of what to expect from your writing on. If it's well written, people will generally want to check the game out. Your grammar and ability to communicate what the game is about aren't bad, but using shorthand/text speak, such as "u" instead of spelling out "you" tends to turn people away, because they may feel that if the effort couldn't be put forth to make the presentation attractive, why would they risk putting time into a game that may be the same? Unfortunately, when it comes to reading a story, shorthand tends to take people out of the immersion of it, and the whole reason for playing games like this, or reading books, etc. is for immersion.

I'm no game dev, and I can't really know the amount of work you already have to put into this, but I am a writer, and know what tends to draw the interest of people when it comes to any type of platform that requires a lot of reading, such as VN's. And putting that small amount of extra effort into things can make considerably more of a difference than you might think.

Anyway, that was really all I wanted to say. I wish you the best of luck in your development, and I'm looking forward to trying it out, so I can possibly give it a review as well. I will be going into it with an open mind, as it is your first game, and take into consideration that you're likely to improve greatly as you gain more experience. The truth is, many first time devs, even if there are a few mistakes, or areas that could stand some tweaks and improvements, still show some promise in those initial stages, and that's what we, as consumers, look for. We don't need perfection. We just need to see there's some potential, and we're generally happy to go along for the ride with you.

Wishing you success with your projects going forward.

-SS

Reactions: WastedTalent

Professor Cloak

Game Developer
Feb 24, 2022
I haven't tried the game yet, but I intend to in the next few days. I did want to offer a bit of advice on your synopsis, if you don't mind some constructive criticism with the intent of helping make it more appealing, and therefore, likely to draw more interest.

When you write your synopsis, that's what people are going to be taking as the example of your writing. Like reading the synopsis on the back of a book, this is your sales pitch, so to speak. It's what they will base their opinions of what to expect from your writing on. If it's well written, people will generally want to check the game out. Your grammar and ability to communicate what the game is about aren't bad, but using shorthand/text speak, such as "u" instead of spelling out "you" tends to turn people away, because they may feel that if the effort couldn't be put forth to make the presentation attractive, why would they risk putting time into a game that may be the same? Unfortunately, when it comes to reading a story, shorthand tends to take people out of the immersion of it, and the whole reason for playing games like this, or reading books, etc. is for immersion.

I'm no game dev, and I can't really know the amount of work you already have to put into this, but I am a writer, and know what tends to draw the interest of people when it comes to any type of platform that requires a lot of reading, such as VN's. And putting that small amount of extra effort into things can make considerably more of a difference than you might think.

Anyway, that was really all I wanted to say. I wish you the best of luck in your development, and I'm looking forward to trying it out, so I can possibly give it a review as well. I will be going into it with an open mind, as it is your first game, and take into consideration that you're likely to improve greatly as you gain more experience. The truth is, many first time devs, even if there are a few mistakes, or areas that could stand some tweaks and improvements, still show some promise in those initial stages, and that's what we, as consumers, look for. We don't need perfection. We just need to see there's some potential, and we're generally happy to go along for the ride with you.

Wishing you success with your projects going forward.

-SS
Thank you , means a lot to me. Ofcourse I really appreciate your advice and truth be told I never really put too much thought into it thus my habbit of short hand writing. But don't worry I will keep it in mind in the future for sure.

I hope that you do like my game when you try it , even if you don't I do want to thank you for giving it a shot, I am learning as I go and every piece of advice is more than welcome.

Reactions: Saintly14Savage

ropershy

Aug 14, 2020
Also , you were not supposed to realize what was going on , which is the past or the present...u are going on a ride with the mc , and he is having these flashbacks or you might even call them hallucinations were he is getting lost in his past as if it was happening right now , trying to make sense or make amends to retrieve what he has lost only to later realize it is all gone.
you do realize that could just cause the players to get a headache and become frustrated??

Professor Cloak

Game Developer
Feb 24, 2022
you do realize that could just cause the players to get a headache and become frustrated??
Obviously...thats the point you see, my game is supposed to have a story like no other , not a clichéd bland fap game and I do know it might turn off a few people as it may not be everyone's cup of tea but its a risk I'm willing to take.

Bobber Tail

Nov 28, 2017
I am heavily confused by what number is accurate. I have 1.0 and the one in the OP which is packaged as 0.2, but is 0.1 inside and has less content in images folder than 1.0

1.00 star(s) 2 Votes