Recommending Story-first games

5.00 star(s) 8 Votes

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
I've talked about this before, (maybe in here? I don't remember), but the problems that game has, all stem from the same issue.

The game has multiple writers. Basically it works like this - the "main" story, and most of the "main" characters (I say most, but not all) are written by one person. A *LOT* of the side stuff though, isn't. If any of the writers has "an idea" for something they want to do (or even a character they want to introduce!) they're free to write it. As long as it doesn't massively affect dev time, and doesn't conflict too much with the "main" story, then it's fine.

So what will end up happening is someone will get an idea of something they want to do, or a character they want to write a scene about, or whatever, and as long as it isn't too far off or doesn't screw things up, they figure out how to add it. (Not every idea people come up with makes it in, but it does explain where a lot of the stuff comes from.)

So if you've ever thought "where did this even come from!", well that's probably where. It's not just one person with one vision, it's one person driving the "main" story, with other people pitching in on all of the "side" content (and even writing some scenarios for the main content, within certain parameters).

I stopped playing it a while ago because personally I only really care about the main story in games. (Some side stuff is fine, but there has to be a limit!). The game started devolving into way too much "side" content, and not enough "main" content, which I think is definitely a symptom of the above.
I think it's a little more complicated than that. Where the Heart Is only has two writers: CheekyGimp, the original writer and lead dev, and Acewinz, who joined the project later (and just recently left for personal reasons). The third dev, CellStudios, does the artwork; I'm sure he has some input on other aspects, but he doesn't write scenes. There have been a few other devs over the years, but they didn't stick around long enough to have much impact.

The game does let the different writers do their own thing to a certain extent, but I don't think you can blame all the sidegirl action on Ace. Supposedly Mabel was added specifically at the behest of Cheeky because he felt Episode 18 was too 'MILF heavy.' I'm not sure whose idea it was to bring back Natasha, though that does feel like Ace; then again, I thought that one had the potential to add something to the game. Porsche was presumably added by Ace as part of the Angel/Wanda story in Episode 21, but it was a pretty minor part. The problem only started when she got her star turn in Episode 23, and I don't know who is responsible for that (or the other two side-girls added in the same story). Given how big the cosplay convention became, I'm guessing both writers were involved. Now in Episode 24 there was a Patreon poll asking who should get a scene, and new sidegirl Captain Heart seems to have done well enough to make the cut. So there's a lot of blame to go around, but I don't think it's just because writers are off doing their own thing. The distractions are approved at the highest level.

And that's just looking at the sidegirls. The game has a whopping 12 LIs, all of whom need something to do (since most are only tangentially related to the will plot). This is an area where Ace does seem to have had a lot of leeway, being able to add material for the LIs if he had a good idea. But I consider that a good thing since his work on Wanda and Theresa is what transformed them from pointless wastes of space to interesting characters, even though (AFAICT) they were already classified as LIs. That's not what I would regard as a distraction even if it didn't advance the main plot.

I do agree the game wandered too far from the main story, though. It was definitely stalling for a half dozen or so episodes in the 16-21 range where nothing really changed and the MC kept putting off any proactive actions. Fortunately it's picked up the main plot again and the last couple of episodes have been a big improvement despite the explosion of sidegirls in Episode 23.

So yeah, the game definitely has some problems and the getting distracted by a nice set of digital T&A is one of the biggest. But no one's perfect.

Last edited:

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
I did not find it in this thread, so I'd like to suggest Matrix Hearts.
The story is about a guy who almost made it to the Olympic climbing team, but was unlucky enough to get a serious knee injury and nearly hit the bottom, drawning in depression after that accident. But suddenly his former nanny turned out to be a leading scientist in some research center in some island state. She invited him to participate in an experimental treatment program. MC's parents made him go there because they couldn't see him wasting his life anymore. And here is the adventures start.
Despite the harsh beginning, the plot and mood of the game is very bright, lightweight and full of humor and positive emotions. The MC has to adjust to a new school and lifestyle, but it doesn't seem to be all that bad. Lots of charming female characters, relationship building, a slow burn story, very beautiful renderings, everything we appreciate in a good story-first game.
This game has a great setup. But instead of letting him come to terms with having a bad knee, they have him get a magic device sufficiently advanced technology gizmo that heals his knee if he find love fucks around.

Otherwise it has nice moments and is an ok game. The humor is a bit too cringe for me though. Especially MC is way too cringe.

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
New recommendation: The Swordbearer

Seems to be some sort of Hero's Journey in some sort of fantasy setting. Slow burn. Only the intro so far with mostly slice-of-life stuff. But I see great potential in this one.

EDIT: It reminds me a bit of Price of Power in pace and tone.
I'll third this. Swordbearer is still in the early stages, but it has good pacing, a nice cast, and a lot of potential.

Vasin

Nov 20, 2018
I'll fourth the recommendation for "The Swordbearer". I had some high expectations after 3 recommendations in a row, and while another Elvensang it is not, I've played through until the end of episode 2 screen so far and it's a very nice funny fantasy skit, it doesn't take itself too seriously and most jokes landed for me, I laughed quite a few times. My biggest gripe with the game is that while it gives you options to skip certain scenes oftentimes it feelike they it just skips time instead of it being a true "choice". I get that it's the easiest way to implement the mechanic for the author but still, I'd prefer some actual choice.

Zoey Raven

Game Developer/Walkthrough/Guide Maker
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
Don't play my game if all you want is a fap and GO! AHHHH!

Thank you for letting me vent, this felt like a good place to do it, because you guys are not here only for a wank!

Last edited:

boobsrcool

Apr 1, 2022
Don't play my game if all you want is a fap and GO! AHHHH!

Thank you for letting me vent, this felt like a good place to do it, because you guys are not here only for a wank!
started playing yours recently and it became an immediate favorite what a great cast of characters

Reactions: Zoey Raven

TheimmortalP

Jan 4, 2019
Hey Jufot, how's it going?

I finally played through something on your list, Life Changes for Keeley. I thought it was amazing!

I've been trying to play something on your list for years, but I haven't been able to do it, and I think it's because my OCD has me looking over the list, and I can't decide what to play.

So I was wondering, if you're willing, can you please pick 3 of the games on your list? I think you narrowing it down to 3 will help make it easier for me.

If you're not comfortable with it, maybe one of the regulars could for me.

jufot

May 15, 2021
I finally played through something on your list, Life Changes for Keeley. I thought it was amazing!
[...]
So I was wondering, if you're willing, can you please pick 3 of the games on your list? I think you narrowing it down to 3 will help make it easier for me.
Glad you liked LCfK, I love it too.

This is the second time you're asking me this, so I'll try to narrow it down even further :) How about Cardinal Cross, Camp Klondike, and Nothing is Forever?

TheimmortalP

Jan 4, 2019
Glad you liked LCfK, I love it too.

This is the second time you're asking me this, so I'll try to narrow it down even further :) How about Cardinal Cross, Camp Klondike, and Nothing is Forever?
You're right, you did, sorry, memory sucks. I'll type these down this time.

Raife

May 16, 2018
is what I needed to hear, all along!
To return to the video Transcendent posted on LIs and romance mechanics: I really, really like the idea of ambiguous or 'hidden' or uncertain LIs... which might or might not develop into romances with the MC under certain obscure variables or conditions.

Romances like that are the most true to life ('what is that look she is giving me... what does it mean?') -- and could create fascinating alternative narrative strands.

Most players, of course, would hate LI mechanics like this -- but a don't see why you couldn't insert an alternative LI along these lines into a game with more conventional scripting for the main LI.

noping123

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
To return to the video Transcendent posted on LIs and romance mechanics: I really, really like the idea of ambiguous or 'hidden' or uncertain LIs... which might or might not develop into romances with the MC under certain obscure variables or conditions.

Romances like that are the most true to life ('what is that look she is giving me... what does it mean?') -- and could create fascinating alternative narrative strands.

Most players, of course, would hate LI mechanics like this -- but a don't see why you couldn't insert an alternative LI along these lines into a game with more conventional scripting for the main LI.

I know talking about the game is practically verboten in here, but this is what I like about badik, and the one bit that actually draws me in.

I sort of lost interest in the "main" story and main characters a while ago. At this point only one character is moderately interesting to me, the rest I sort of could care less about - and the "main" story just feels too paint-by-numbers at this point. That would be perfectly fine (just because its "paint-by-numbers", doesn't mean it's bad, some great stories can fit that formula) if it wasn't for the fact that its dragged on for SO LONG at this point.

But it's the side characters that actually keep me interested. The fact that you can A: reject all the main LI's if you choose, and B: the little hints of possibility with all these different side characters. (Along with some hints and all sorts of reasons that it won't happen).

It's quite possible it'll fall short of what I expect (or hope to see) out of it, but at least for now the way it's been done is the one thing maintaining my interest in the game. It's very rare to see a game do something like that with the "side characters" (which I totally get... from a dev perspective it can become a nightmare quick), but there is something to be said for the interest it maintains.

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
I know talking about the game is practically verboten in here, but this is what I like about badik, and the one bit that actually draws me in.

I sort of lost interest in the "main" story and main characters a while ago. At this point only one character is moderately interesting to me, the rest I sort of could care less about - and the "main" story just feels too paint-by-numbers at this point. That would be perfectly fine (just because its "paint-by-numbers", doesn't mean it's bad, some great stories can fit that formula) if it wasn't for the fact that its dragged on for SO LONG at this point.

But it's the side characters that actually keep me interested. The fact that you can A: reject all the main LI's if you choose, and B: the little hints of possibility with all these different side characters. (Along with some hints and all sorts of reasons that it won't happen).

It's quite possible it'll fall short of what I expect (or hope to see) out of it, but at least for now the way it's been done is the one thing maintaining my interest in the game. It's very rare to see a game do something like that with the "side characters" (which I totally get... from a dev perspective it can become a nightmare quick), but there is something to be said for the interest it maintains.
I think Tonya in your game, Alive, is a pretty good example of an unexpected side character that only shows up if you do certain things. She is an interesting character even though I think MC should avoid her like the plague. :D

Reactions: EndlessNights
5.00 star(s) 8 Votes