Recommending Story-first games

5.00 star(s) 8 Votes

jufot

May 15, 2021
Okay, so I played the grand finale of "Leap of Faith" [...] a great finale for a great game.
This game is clearly the Cece story which is a good and a bad thing at the same time imho. [...] It felt to me like a yoyo going up and down constantly ranging from being pretty good to becoming way too corny and dull for my liking
I finally got a chance to play the last chapter. Like realjitter says, this is definitely the Cece story, and she has the best ending. She is worried that her oddities might eventually destroy her relationship, and instead of soothing her with platitudes, MC actually acknowledges the possibility. I really liked that! She also acknowledges that love doesn't fix any of her problems, and that she'll likely never be fully OK. It's a realistic depiction of mental illness mixed with suicidal ideation.

I also have a few other saves, so here are some thoughts on those:

- Kira & Robin's ending was also nice, if a little too perfect. It's too drama free compared to any poly relationship I know of IRL :)
- Steph's ending was disappointing. The fact that she chose to go back to the job that not only destroyed her relationship, but also MC's trust in her, tells me that she didn't learn her lesson. MC going along with it is pure nonsense.
- Lexi's ending was the worst. Horrible, cheesy, and horribly cheesy. Public proposals are obnoxious at the best of times, but co-opting a concert to propose on stage is... something else. And then the rest of that scene is even worse, pure cringe. It's like the dev has had a bunch of unused Hallmark cards and decided to turn them into a collage. Eugh...

I did love the toilet joke with Lexi, though. That was on point :)

And then I was like "let's try out that latest recommendation" and played Hellcat Lounge.
Unfortunately my interest in it took a huge hit after I realized Chris wasn't (seemingly) on the cards, but I still enjoyed it immensely.
Heh, I felt the same with Lita. At least she is somewhat available. Glad you've enjoyed it though :)

realjitter

Jun 21, 2021
- Kira & Robin's ending was also nice, if a little too perfect. It's too drama free compared to any poly relationship I know of IRL :)
Do you also visit Kira her parents on that route? Because that was another small disappointment for me. I liked the fact that she was initially portrait as more of a blue collar girl. But hey...she ain't of course..

Another thing i wanted to mention is that there's a trailer for a new game after the ending credits in case someone missed it...

jufot

May 15, 2021
Do you also visit Kira her parents on that route?
Yes, there is. The dialogue is slightly different though.

Another thing i wanted to mention is that there's a trailer for a new game after the ending credits in case someone missed it...
I must have missed it. Is it ? I saw it on the dev's Patreon last month.

realjitter

Jun 21, 2021
Yes, there is. The dialogue is slightly different though.

I must have missed it. Is it ? I saw it on the dev's Patreon last month.
Yep, that's the trailer. Does look interesting though. And it also does look completely different from his/her previous game. Different look, different premise...

noping123

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
- Lexi's ending was the worst. Horrible, cheesy, and horribly cheesy. Public proposals are obnoxious at the best of times, but co-opting a concert to propose on stage is... something else. And then the rest of that scene is even worse, pure cringe. It's like the dev has had a bunch of unused Hallmark cards and decided to turn them into a collage. Eugh...

Funny... I liked the ending for all the reasons you mentioned. I thought the ridiculous cheesy ending fit well given the storyline between those 2 characters.

TheimmortalP

Jan 4, 2019
This made me smile.

The highest rated completed title on this site is Leap of Faith.

Also:

3rd place: Acting Lessons
5th place: The Warrior's Heart

It's nice to see that stuff this high that isn't just mainly just trying to appeal to a specific unusual kink.

Fake edit: Oh wait, that's when I filtered out a lot of tags.

Well Leap of Faith is second place, that's still really great.

8th place: Acting Lessons
10th place: The Warrior's Heart.

Well at least all 3 are on the top 10. That still makes me smile.

Reactions: Nurikabe

jufot

May 15, 2021
Funny... I liked the ending for all the reasons you mentioned. I thought the ridiculous cheesy ending fit well given the storyline between those 2 characters.
Hmm, now that I think about it, you might have a point. Their whole relationship is unrealistic. After all, how often does the sewage worker end up with the pop star?

I'm confused. How does you liking the game equal you not being able explain very well how the game handle the topic of suicide?
Ah, sorry. I thought you were asking why others are not a fan of LoF. I think it handles suicide fairly well, but I have no real life experience to base that on.

https://f95zone.to/threads/alison-fall-of-the-apple-v1-0-onemanvn.20766/
very nice story too usually i dump games that are too much story and so little sex but this one i am sticking with
Personally, I'm not a fan.

• Haha
Reactions: accountant2992
Jun 30, 2018
Hmm, now that I think about it, you might have a point. Their whole relationship is unrealistic. After all, how often does the sewage worker end up with the pop star?

Ah, sorry. I thought you were asking why others are not a fan of LoF. I think it handles suicide fairly well, but I have no real life experience to base that on.

Personally, I'm not a fan.
my bad then i didnt read the entire post and recommended based on story first games title :LOL:

Ezykeyal

Game Developer
Dec 29, 2021
I understand how this might throw you off, but it's a good fantasy in general (Something I feel readers often can forget?). The part that kind of throws me off is how rapidly that relationship progresses. It feels very rushed and would feel more grounded, if more time was taken to flesh that story out a bit more. I mean, one moment you're exchanging a few words and have a drink with her, and a few hours later, she calls you and invites you and your friends over to come stay a week at her mansion. At that point, you can't even really call Kira & Robin your friends either, as you only met shortly before as well. So basically, a busy and famous popstar has a bunch of randoms over for a while without any security around her... just in case they might be crazed fans or perhaps serial killers.

Overall, it's a very enjoyable experience and a lot of the humor is what I enjoy.

Like the point mentioned above, it does have a lot of cringy moments. I dislike the fact that your character is able to drive a wedge and come in between the"lesbian" lovers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are lesbians... neither of them would ever feel anything for any man. Uttering lines like "I never felt like this before, about any man except you." make me cringe.

There's also the bit where your character invites the two young and very vulnerable women to move in with you. Granted, one of them is a character from your past. What this game does better is the opportunities it creates for good humorous scenes. Unfortunately, they end when your character is casually invited to sleep with them shortly after. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that strange situation. Again it's a good fantasy I suppose, but a lot of that annoys me for some reason.

I adored the whole reunion scene and thought how later on near the end of that, Cece's words had a whole different meaning and was masterfully done.

jufot

May 15, 2021
I understand how this might throw you off, but it's a good fantasy in general (Something I feel readers often can forget?).
I suppose I do have an innate bias against escapist fantasies. I try to be aware of it, but it definitely colours my perception of these games.

The part that kind of throws me off is how rapidly that relationship progresses. It feels very rushed and would feel more grounded, if more time was taken to flesh that story out a bit more.
Yes, the story as a whole could have used a few more chapters to let all these friendships develop more organically.

Like the point mentioned above, it does have a lot of cringy moments. I dislike the fact that your character is able to drive a wedge and come in between the"lesbian" lovers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are lesbians... neither of them would ever feel anything for any man. Uttering lines like "I never felt like this before, about any man except you." make me cringe.
I'm not a fan of it, either. I feel equally icky about MC's participation in Maya and Josy's relationship in BaDIK.

noping123

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
I'm not a fan of it, either. I feel equally icky about MC's participation in Maya and Josy's relationship in BaDIK.

First, from an overall story perspective, I think lof is leaps beyond badik. From a "overall game" perspective, I prefer badik, but a large part of that is.... I like stuff like all the minigames, and shit like that. I honestly think that without those things in the game, I'd enjoy it quite a bit less. All of that said though....

I feel like the maya/josy thing in badik was handled MUCH better. It wasn't just some guy inserting himself into this relationship they had. While that one episode "ending" did suck if you were on literally any other path (and even then it was iffy), the overall thing going on was that, he met each of them separately, and developed relationships with them separately, not having any idea they were "together", plus they had their own problems with each other in the meanwhile, which is what allows them to get closer to the MC to begin with.

With LoF, both of them were aware of what was going on from the beginning (and the MC was clued in pretty early imo), and it did feel like a weird "inserting yourself into the relationship" sort of thing - but with badik, it didn't feel that way because until the MC had developed something with each of them separately none of the 3 were aware of the other.

Now there are a LOT of problems with the maya/josy thing, which I won't get into because honestly it's been discussed ad nauseum, but I do think the overall situation was a lot more organic and believable, both from the way it was approached, and considering the ages of all parties involved. (Lets face it. Shit like that is a TON more likely to happen when you're in your teens or very early 20s than once you hit your mid 20s and beyond)

realjitter

Jun 21, 2021
The part that kind of throws me off is how rapidly that relationship progresses. It feels very rushed and would feel more grounded, if more time was taken to flesh that story out a bit more. I mean, one moment you're exchanging a few words and have a drink with her, and a few hours later, she calls you and invites you and your friends over to come stay a week at her mansion. At that point, you can't even really call Kira & Robin your friends either, as you only met shortly before as well. So basically, a busy and famous popstar has a bunch of randoms over for a while without any security around her... just in case they might be crazed fans or perhaps serial killers.
And this is exactly the point why i never had a real connection to the game...

"Hey, wanna join our harem of friends?"
"Me?, are you talking to me?. I mean, i guess, sure!"
"Cool, I think you're awesome by the way"
"Thanks, I think you're awesome too.. What's your name?"
"Oh right, silly me... I'm realjitter..."

To be fair though, there are always 2 sides to look at everything. The developer of this and like 95 or whatever % of all the other developers have no experience with writing and doing basically everything from scratch. In most cases even the technical aspekt of it. That's always something to keep in mind when it comes to AVN's and to me makes it more understandable why things are as they are in some cases

Reactions: forthewins

jufot

May 15, 2021
the overall thing going on was that, he met each of them separately, and developed relationships with them separately, not having any idea they were "together", plus they had their own problems with each other in the meanwhile, which is what allows them to get closer to the MC to begin with.
I do think the overall situation was a lot more organic and believable, both from the way it was approached, and considering the ages of all parties involved. (Lets face it. Shit like that is a TON more likely to happen when you're in your teens or very early 20s than once you hit your mid 20s and beyond)
Well, I don't know. Perhaps their ages make it a bit easier to swallow, but the premise is still "two lesbians cheat on each other with the same man, and when the truth comes out, they decide to form a polycule instead of breaking up like normal people". I've never heard of that happening, to anyone, at any age :p

"Hey, wanna join our harem of friends?"
I can't put my finger on exactly what, but there is something hilarious about the idea of a "friendship harem" :D

noping123

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
Well, maybe that's the issue then.

I have!

It (fortunately or unfortunately depending on your perspective) didn't happen to me personally, but someone I know. It also didn't have anything close to the sort of "happy" ending you see in these types of games, but hey.

Ezykeyal

Game Developer
Dec 29, 2021
To be fair though, there are always 2 sides to look at everything. The developer of this and like 95 or whatever % of all the other developers have no experience with writing and doing basically everything from scratch. In most cases even the technical aspekt of it. That's always something to keep in mind when it comes to AVN's and to me makes it more understandable why things are as they are in some cases
Absolutely. It's insanely difficult to keep track of everything you have your nose deep into, day after day. It's easy to pick holes in someone else's work. It's always going to be a personal preference as well, obviously most people don't seem to mind it.

With LoF, both of them were aware of what was going on from the beginning (and the MC was clued in pretty early imo), and it did feel like a weird "inserting yourself into the relationship" sort of thing - but with badik, it didn't feel that way because until the MC had developed something with each of them separately none of the 3 were aware of the other.

Now there are a LOT of problems with the maya/josy thing, which I won't get into because honestly it's been discussed ad nauseum, but I do think the overall situation was a lot more organic and believable, both from the way it was approached, and considering the ages of all parties involved. (Lets face it. Shit like that is a TON more likely to happen when you're in your teens or very early 20s than once you hit your mid 20s and beyond)

I agree with this also. The Maya/Josy thing played out as something that feels like it could actually happen, whereas in Leap of Faith doesn't.

5.00 star(s) 8 Votes