VN Ren'Py Strangers on Paper [Ch.2 v0.2.2] [Gloomy Ghost Studio]

4.90 star(s) 55 Votes

jhonatanw

Engaged Member
Jun 21, 2022

Agora mesmo
Today, let’s discuss Chapter 2 and adjust some expectations, shall we?

How long will Chapter 2 be?
It’s around 27,000 words, compared to Chapter 1 being around 22,000 words. Gameplay time is different for everyone but, from beta testing, we can say it varies from 1 hour and a half to 2.

Why is your game so short compared to other AVNs?
Because that’s the way we like it. Just to put it out there, the length of the gameplay itself has nothing to do with nor was it affected in any way by development issues. We had always planned to make a sort of short story, with short-ish chapters. I guess we think of each chapter as a movie, or an episode of a show in terms of length, but overall we end up going for what feels natural for the story we want to tell.
What's up with the LGBTQ+ content?
We've addressed it before, and we’ll do it again if we have to. Yes, there is LGBTQ+ content shown and/or discussed in Strangers on Paper. No, you can’t “turn it off”. If this is something you’re uncomfortable with seeing or reading about, I’m sure you can find plenty of other games that suit your preferences, maybe this one isn’t it. I will clarify though, the MC is a heterosexual male.

Will there be animations?
There will be some animated scenes, but these are not sexual in nature. We are not interested in introducing those kinds of scenes in an animated form in this game… for now.

Is your game streaming-friendly?
We'll do our best to introduce a feature to skip sexual scenes if you wish to do so before things get steamy.

Will Chapter 3 take this long to develop too?
Let us say this loud for the people in the back: This. Is. Not. Our. Full. Time. Job.
We really, really wish it could be, but the way things are in our lives right now do not allow the time we wished we had to devote to this game. We trust that every person who chooses to support us is a consenting adult and, as such, they can also decide when to cease to do so. That being said, the financial support we have received so far has made all the difference during the hardest times, otherwise, we’d probably have given this up long ago.
We are hopeful things will be better, smoother, easier, from now on, but we know better than to make promises involving things outside our control by now.

Will you now give us a release date for Chapter 2, pretty please?
What do you mean? We just did :) First person to figure it out will definitely be getting a steam key.

Now, something I feel doesn’t get talked about enough is the mental health struggles that come with this whole thing. Publishing your work can lead to connecting with other people in beautiful ways, but also to reading the most dehumanizing comments - not to mention misinformed takes. Sure, constructive criticism is okay, but the fact that some people choose to be purposefully unkind online will never cease to amaze me. And I can already hear it: “if you’re not ready to deal with it, then don’t do it!”. Ha. By now, it’s really easy for us to understand where each comment comes from, and which ones are actually written with good intentions, but the ones that are not, that just exist because someone felt like throwing shit at something they don’t like… It’s just sad. Not for us, we are enjoying our game as it is, but for them. We spend our time creating something we love and that, fortunately, makes people happy. Haters spend their time… hating.

So? Have you figured it out yet? Do you hate us for it? Here, drop the hate and have some dulce de leche.

scalibird

Sep 18, 2022

Agora mesmo

It’s around 27,000 words, compared to Chapter 1 being around 22,000 words. Gameplay time is different for everyone but, from beta testing, we can say it varies from 1 hour and a half to 2.

Because that’s the way we like it. Just to put it out there, the length of the gameplay itself has nothing to do with nor was it affected in any way by development issues. We had always planned to make a sort of short story, with short-ish chapters. I guess we think of each chapter as a movie, or an episode of a show in terms of length, but overall we end up going for what feels natural for the story we want to tell.
We've addressed it before, and we’ll do it again if we have to. Yes, there is LGBTQ+ content shown and/or discussed in Strangers on Paper. No, you can’t “turn it off”. If this is something you’re uncomfortable with seeing or reading about, I’m sure you can find plenty of other games that suit your preferences, maybe this one isn’t it. I will clarify though, the MC is a heterosexual male.

There will be some animated scenes, but these are not sexual in nature. We are not interested in introducing those kinds of scenes in an animated form in this game… for now.

We'll do our best to introduce a feature to skip sexual scenes if you wish to do so before things get steamy.

Let us say this loud for the people in the back: This. Is. Not. Our. Full. Time. Job.
We really, really wish it could be, but the way things are in our lives right now do not allow the time we wished we had to devote to this game. We trust that every person who chooses to support us is a consenting adult and, as such, they can also decide when to cease to do so. That being said, the financial support we have received so far has made all the difference during the hardest times, otherwise, we’d probably have given this up long ago.
We are hopeful things will be better, smoother, easier, from now on, but we know better than to make promises involving things outside our control by now.

What do you mean? We just did :) First person to figure it out will definitely be getting a steam key.

Now, something I feel doesn’t get talked about enough is the mental health struggles that come with this whole thing. Publishing your work can lead to connecting with other people in beautiful ways, but also to reading the most dehumanizing comments - not to mention misinformed takes. Sure, constructive criticism is okay, but the fact that some people choose to be purposefully unkind online will never cease to amaze me. And I can already hear it: “if you’re not ready to deal with it, then don’t do it!”. Ha. By now, it’s really easy for us to understand where each comment comes from, and which ones are actually written with good intentions, but the ones that are not, that just exist because someone felt like throwing shit at something they don’t like… It’s just sad. Not for us, we are enjoying our game as it is, but for them. We spend our time creating something we love and that, fortunately, makes people happy. Haters spend their time… hating.

So? Have you figured it out yet? Do you hate us for it? Here, drop the hate and have some dulce de leche.
My guess would be the 17th of August

Candy Suxx

Oct 11, 2019

Agora mesmo

August 17 : St. Martin's Day

• Red Heart
Reactions: gloomyghost

yossa999

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2020
We have said from the beginning that there were no plans to do animations (if they happen to end up being there, it will be a… fortunate surprise lol). We have also said from the beginning (even on the game itself) that there are sexual scenes from Chapter 2 onwards, so I’m missing the comparison
I think it was related to this phrase.
"There will be some animated scenes, but these are not sexual in nature."

Any game where they don't get a fuckfest from the beginning is going the SG route.

Reactions: HogRocket

gloomyghost

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2022

Any game where they don't get a fuckfest from the beginning is going the SG route.
I guess that’s an interesting take! I never thought to compare the two since our game will be 4 chapters long, three of which will include sex scenes.

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
My man, I had no doubt about your impeccable taste in AVNs. Which girl are you going to handhold and headpat?
Amy all the way friend. Although I heard Becca kissed a girl and I really want to see that so I'll have to do her path too eventually.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: yossa999

flaviopaganini

Feb 25, 2024
I really enjoyed the game. I've already added it to my Steam shopping list and will buy it as soon as it's released.

Rhino3333

Nov 5, 2018
We have also said from the beginning (even on the game itself) that there are sexual scenes from Chapter 2 onwards, so I’m missing the comparison
Not making a comparison to begin with. Your game is far superior to theirs. But I do think it would be disappointing without animations, especially to your members on Patreon.

Rhino3333

Nov 5, 2018

Really don't get the hostility here. Just don't get why the dev can't put in the effort to do sexual animations if they explicitly stated they can do animation for other scenes. It's deliberately making the game worse.

Rhino3333

Nov 5, 2018
No it isn't. Stop being overly dramatic.
Well to me it is. And probably to a wider audience too. Guess some people are just too busy inhaling copium.
If the game goes on Steam and there are reviews saying there are no sexual animations then less people are gonna want to buy it. That's a fact.

yossa999

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2020
Really don't get the hostility here. Just don't get why the dev can't put in the effort to do sexual animations if they explicitly stated they can do animation for other scenes. It's deliberately making the game worse.
What hostility? The developer was surprised by the comparison with SG, I just expressed my opinion, why suddenly a reference to SG came out of blue in the on-topic thread of Strangers on Paper.

Jarulf

Aug 9, 2020
Personally, I'm not sure animated sex scenes would in any way improve this game for me. To be perfectly honest, I often find them superfluous and boring, however many angles and speeds the Devs provide. Definitely not always, but often.
A lackluster or badly made animation for sex can ruin an otherwise nice build up to the scene and I find myself clicking through it impatiently.
I play different AVNs for slightly different reasons, this I play for the stories and the characters. And the pretty picks.

Rhino3333

Nov 5, 2018
What hostility? The developer was surprised by the comparison with SG, I just expressed my opinion, why suddenly a reference to SG came out of blue in the on-topic thread of Strangers on Paper.
Because they are similar story focused games man. That's why.

4.90 star(s) 55 Votes