VN Ren'Py Strangers on Paper [Ch.2 v0.2.2] [Gloomy Ghost Studio]

4.90 star(s) 55 Votes

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
Unfortunately I've seen a lot of players say they won't even try games unless they have animations I've even seen devs say they have to include them because of fan demand.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to the topic of animations.

Reactions: Jarulf

Rhino3333

Nov 5, 2018
Personally, I'm not sure animated sex scenes would in any way improve this game for me. To be perfectly honest, I often find them superfluous and boring, however many angles and speeds the Devs provide. Definitely not always, but often.
A lackluster or badly made animation for sex can ruin an otherwise nice build up to the scene and I find myself clicking through it impatiently.
I play different AVNs for slightly different reasons, this I play for the stories and the characters. And the pretty picks.
Yeah exactly. You may like it, but most people won't. Unfortunately people don't play this kind of games for story. The plot is the building blocks, the prettier the merrier, but the sex is the foundation. Better sex better game. You may disagree but it is what it is.

Jarulf

Aug 9, 2020
You are doubtlessly right, unfortunately. I struggle a little with understanding why animations seem to be so important to some players, but it is what it is.

Reactions: Joshy92

Rhino3333

Nov 5, 2018
Unfortunately I've seen a lot of players say they won't even try games unless they have animations I've even seen devs say they have to include them because of fan demand.

True. I am indeed one of the "lot of players" who think sex animations is just the industry standard these days.

Real issue here is that dev specifically says there will be animation for other scenes but none for sex. Prettier weird choice. Personally think it's worse than having no animations at all.

Jarulf

Aug 9, 2020
Yeah exactly. You may like it, but most people won't. Unfortunately people don't play this kind of games for story. The plot is the building blocks, the prettier the merrier, but the sex is the foundation. Better sex better game. You may disagree but it is what it is.
The topic of why we play these games crop up now and then. I really don't think all people play them only because of the sex, most of us definitely get curious about them and start playing them because of that, but I also see people claiming they keep playing them because of engaging stories and characters. I certainly enjoy a well-made sex scene, animated or not, but a game that doesn't provide context, background, plot and so on that engage me, is a game I'm likely to stop playing. I'd rather play a good story focused game without sex scenes than one with good sex scenes but without the rest.
Still, from a purely economic perspective I'm sure Joshy92 and others are correct. Sex sells, after all.

Reactions: yossa999

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020

Oh there is a right or wrong imo.

If you can't do a good (minimium 10 second/30 fps) animation, AND make it look natural and smooth, then just don't bother. Most animations (sex) in VN's are just truly fucking attrocious and definitely do not make anything better at all.

Jul 4, 2024

Agora mesmo
Today, let’s discuss Chapter 2 and adjust some expectations, shall we?

How long will Chapter 2 be?
It’s around 27,000 words, compared to Chapter 1 being around 22,000 words. Gameplay time is different for everyone but, from beta testing, we can say it varies from 1 hour and a half to 2.

Why is your game so short compared to other AVNs?
Because that’s the way we like it. Just to put it out there, the length of the gameplay itself has nothing to do with nor was it affected in any way by development issues. We had always planned to make a sort of short story, with short-ish chapters. I guess we think of each chapter as a movie, or an episode of a show in terms of length, but overall we end up going for what feels natural for the story we want to tell.
What's up with the LGBTQ+ content?
We've addressed it before, and we’ll do it again if we have to. Yes, there is LGBTQ+ content shown and/or discussed in Strangers on Paper. No, you can’t “turn it off”. If this is something you’re uncomfortable with seeing or reading about, I’m sure you can find plenty of other games that suit your preferences, maybe this one isn’t it. I will clarify though, the MC is a heterosexual male.

Will there be animations?
There will be some animated scenes, but these are not sexual in nature. We are not interested in introducing those kinds of scenes in an animated form in this game… for now.

Is your game streaming-friendly?
We'll do our best to introduce a feature to skip sexual scenes if you wish to do so before things get steamy.

Will Chapter 3 take this long to develop too?
Let us say this loud for the people in the back: This. Is. Not. Our. Full. Time. Job.
We really, really wish it could be, but the way things are in our lives right now do not allow the time we wished we had to devote to this game. We trust that every person who chooses to support us is a consenting adult and, as such, they can also decide when to cease to do so. That being said, the financial support we have received so far has made all the difference during the hardest times, otherwise, we’d probably have given this up long ago.
We are hopeful things will be better, smoother, easier, from now on, but we know better than to make promises involving things outside our control by now.

Will you now give us a release date for Chapter 2, pretty please?
What do you mean? We just did :) First person to figure it out will definitely be getting a steam key.

Now, something I feel doesn’t get talked about enough is the mental health struggles that come with this whole thing. Publishing your work can lead to connecting with other people in beautiful ways, but also to reading the most dehumanizing comments - not to mention misinformed takes. Sure, constructive criticism is okay, but the fact that some people choose to be purposefully unkind online will never cease to amaze me. And I can already hear it: “if you’re not ready to deal with it, then don’t do it!”. Ha. By now, it’s really easy for us to understand where each comment comes from, and which ones are actually written with good intentions, but the ones that are not, that just exist because someone felt like throwing shit at something they don’t like… It’s just sad. Not for us, we are enjoying our game as it is, but for them. We spend our time creating something we love and that, fortunately, makes people happy. Haters spend their time… hating.

So? Have you figured it out yet? Do you hate us for it? Here, drop the hate and have some dulce de leche.
Dude why are the devs so rude, I ain't playing that game in a million years

Reactions: platinumfrigate

Jhon27

Jul 24, 2024

Just now

Oooh, this is so anxiety-inducing to post, but it’s official now. I guess we’ll save most of the sappiness for the actual release, but, damn, thank you to each and every one of you who has sent us love during this past year and/or has been looking forward to this. Believe us, we have too and August 17th can’t come soon enough!

Also, congrats to kuke on guessing it from our last dev log!

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
Since the debut of this great game back in May last year I have seen other games come and go but the fact that the devs are still working on this after all the obstacles they faced shows how passionate they are about their baby.

And if there is one thing I respect it's a creator who's passionate about his creation.

link18

Sep 28, 2018
damn, I was fortunate enough to discover this awesome VN 6th months ago my heart goes to the people waiting a year for a 2nd release but most importantly we are finally here just few days apart from Ch-2
it's a bittersweet feeling to learn that this will be a short story but most masterfully done stories leave you longing for more
see u after 10 days ladies and gents

• Red Heart
Reactions: gloomyghost

gloomyghost

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2022
Chapter 2 | Patreon Release Dates

Happy Saturday! Here are the official release dates for Chapter 2 per tier:
  • Childhood Crush Tier: August 10th (Yes, as in, today)
  • Friend with Benefits & Friend Tier: August 12th
  • Acquaintance & Stranger Tier: August 15th
Keep in mind the general public release date is August 17th and this version will include preview images of Chapter 3 and possibly bug fixes.

releeeease.png

4.90 star(s) 55 Votes