VN Ren'Py Strangers on Paper [Chp.1] [Gloomy Ghost Studio]

4.90 star(s) 38 Votes

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Dev, your menus are all fucked up. Offset, wrong bar sizing, lagging cursor sounds, etc. Maybe I'll SanchoMod it and sort it all out so it looks and runs proper. I'll add it to the list... I'll help make your UI the best it can be so that the flubs aren't noticed and the content gets all the attention. This might take more and a few night's of whiskey though folks, so let's see how it goes.
1685303522306.png 1685303578040.png

Reactions: ImariKurumi

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
gloomyghost I think you two should seriously consider a Steam release. This game deserves to reach a wider audience, and you'd hopefully make a couple of extra bucks (or euros or whatever)
It's not polished enough for that just yet... need to get all the UI borks sorted first. If one is to release on a major platform it's always best to put your very best effort as the debut, and not something that has obvious issues. The QM is clumsy too but that can be sorted as well. This hot rod just needs a bit more polish is my point.

Jarulf

Aug 9, 2020
This hot rod just needs a bit more polish is my point.
I don't know a thing about all that, I just loved this first chapter and want more people to play it.
But if things need fixing/polishing first, that's obviously the way to go.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I don't know a thing about all that, I just loved this first chapter and want more people to play it.
Look at the Options menu for example, especially the category labels (all smushed and wrapped). Give me a bit and I'll show you a transformation proper.

Jarulf

Aug 9, 2020
On my phone now and in bed, but I'll check tomorrow. Though truth be told, it's very possible I won't notice anything. I'm just not particularly observant when it comes to stuff like that.

It's like when my Linux distro gets updated and people discuss some (to me) tiny change in the UI and I've no idea what they are talking about :)

DeFuZe

Jul 26, 2018
Discovered this on Latest Updates a while ago and decided to give it a try. Solid introduction with huge potential. I also liked both of the LIs very much, each one being interesting in their own way. I'm glad to see you have the whole thing planned in advance and you know exactly how many updates are needed for the story to wrap it up.

Wish you good luck and hope to see this on Steam once it's completed.

• Red Heart
Reactions: gloomyghost

Vixen ♀

Dec 23, 2021
1685304560534.png
OP, are you okay? Romance might be overrated, but have you ever tried eating pizza in bed while binge-watching your favorite TV show? Now that's a love story worth cherishing! :whistle:

Interesting introduction AVN picked up on this. it's very stylish, emotional and creative storytelling and also a way of seeing paths of romance and friendship. I can tell trying to tell the story to be viewed in filmmaker cinematic as way of narrative as well, as long if flashbacks aren't going tend to be that much persistent in the future.
1685306142099.gif
lots of love xx :giggle:
Looking forward to it, stranger : )

JohnF95zone

Engaged Member
Oct 31, 2017
View attachment 2657297
OP, are you okay? Romance might be overrated, but have you ever tried eating pizza in bed while binge-watching your favorite TV show? Now that's a love story worth cherishing! :whistle:

Interesting introduction AVN picked up on this. it's very stylish, emotional and creative storytelling and also a way of seeing paths of romance and friendship. I can tell trying to tell the story to be viewed in filmmaker cinematic as way of narrative as well, as long if flashbacks aren't going tend to be that much persistent in the future.
View attachment 2657388
lots of love xx :giggle:
Looking forward to it, stranger : )
I wonder when we can see the 'controversial' Tier List or Hot List for this game:LOL::p?

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Whatcha think? Clean and balanced, ain't it?
1685309944835.png 1685309980772.png 1685310013003.png

Edit: Took a little doin' but I got that clunky QM moved and flipped to the other side of the screen ('cause it's in my way):
1685315630518.png 1685315654722.png
And an example of the toggled ChoiceGuide in action:
1685317293989.png 1685317316945.png
Preliminary Options/Cheats including deep-rooted alt-character renaming:
1685322400930.png 1685322453353.png

Edit 2: I freaked out for a second and thought we had a DanielsK production on our hands! :ROFLMAO: :p
1685317072896.png

Last edited:

Uriel ☁

Nov 28, 2017
I saw a couple devs talking about this game before it was released.
It got me curious and saw the development thread a week before release and I thought to myself "this game might be the next big thing".

After playing it I can confirm my initial reaction!
Serious contender for my "2023 best new game" awards.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
SanchoMod: Bug Report

gloomyghost

In label no_aguita you have dialogue that will never be seen by the player due to a jump:
Python:
scene black with dissolve
pause
jump scene7  # SanchoMod: this jump makes all the rest of the label below erroneous

scene asc6r93 with dissolve
"That same cool air I found so inviting a while ago is now my worst enemy."
"My clothes feel heavy and even though the drunkenness is not as strong as it was pre-soaking myself, this may be just as uncomfortable."

gloomyghost

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2022
SanchoMod: Bug Report

gloomyghost

In label no_aguita you have dialogue that will never be seen by the player due to a jump:
Python:
scene black with dissolve
pause
jump scene7  # SanchoMod: this jump makes all the rest of the label below erroneous

scene asc6r93 with dissolve
"That same cool air I found so inviting a while ago is now my worst enemy."
"My clothes feel heavy and even though the drunkenness is not as strong as it was pre-soaking myself, this may be just as uncomfortable."
Hi there! Thank you for the report. It's not a bug though, you are not supposed to see those lines if you didn't get in the water. I should have cleaned up that area better, and the coding may be messy, but the result is what was intenteded to be.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Hi there! Thank you for the report. It's not a bug though, you are not supposed to see those lines if you didn't get in the water. I should have cleaned up that area better, and the coding may be messy, but the result is what was intenteded to be.
No problem, just know that the remainder of the label's dialogue will never be seen by the Player as is... it's basically redundant as it can't be accessed. You get it though apparently as that same dialogue is under label aguita. Regards.

Reactions: gloomyghost

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
SanchoNote

With that said, SanchoMod for SOP Ch1 is basically done (minus housekeeping). I've much code cleanup and final steps to do first including creating a thread, etc. I've a couple of VN's that updates just dropped so I have to tend to those first but just know I'll likely share this VN's version of the mod publicly... it has all the features of Core v7b so the foundation is solid for the VN's future Chapters.

Until then, regards.

Last edited:

g1nk

May 31, 2020
I usually ignore chapter one release games but I saw the art of this and simply had to check it out, it also helps that it will only be 3 chapters long and won't take a decade to complete (I hope).

After playing the becca route I can't say I liked the ending but I mean that in the most positive way because I felt the nervous anxiety the MC must have felt while talking to the girl he's crushing on the whole way through and was deservingly disappointed alongside the MC to see her walk off like that.

Only 2 girls and only 3 chapters promises that the content it has will get all the attention it needs so I'm all for it!

I know it's subjective but while I really like the cinematic vibe of the art (including the borders) I don't understand why you decided to let the eyes be "dead" in many shots. There are moments the characters look beautifully composited in the scene but then their eyes are black/grey circles with no details. Anyway... call it nitpicking if you like, but aside from that I liked basically everything about it.

Some interface lags occurred but I saw sancho talking about it in detail above so I'll leave it to more capable people ;)

Good luck with the game devs!

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Something wicked this way comes....

SanchoMod proudly presents:
Strangers on Paper - MultiMod Edition (Chapter1)
SOP_SM_Cover.jpg
Go get you some.
( Simply click on the banner image above )
SOP SM B01a1.jpg SOP SM B01a2.jpg
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Please enjoy. Mod core is updated to the latest v7b with even more features. I hope you find at least one feature beneficial to your experience. Remember absolutely everything can be toggled on/off as desired and on the fly. Complete information and exhaustive previews can be found on the mod's thread (simply click the banner above). Regards and be well.

- Sancho

Last edited:
4.90 star(s) 38 Votes