VN Ren'Py Strangers on Paper [Chp.1] [Gloomy Ghost Studio]

5.00 star(s) 38 Votes

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
It is now listed.
Thanks Gloomy. FWIW next time you edit the OP feel free to remove it's bold and all-caps as my plea was just so folks know it's available but it's not meant to be more prominent or insinuate that it's more important. Appreciate ya.

Reactions: gloomyghost

Elduriel

Engaged Member
Donor
Mar 28, 2021
pretty good this one, I enjoyed it a lot. Good looking girls, story is interesting so far as well. Looks like you'll need two separate playthroughs to see all content, which is fine by me, I just hope it doesn't get excessive with similar choices in the future.

Jarulf

Aug 9, 2020
I really hope there is a meaningful friend path for each girl when you're on the other one's love path.
I'm often disappointed with games where girls you don't focus on (for sex and or love) sort of vanish from the story. I mean, I may not be attracted to them, but I may still like them a lot and want to have them in the MC's life, especially if they are already friends of the chosen LI.

lukrame

Sep 25, 2020
You know, Becca's persona just kind of tickled me the wrong way. Felt like I was caught in an awkward second-hand embarrassment loop every time our MC opened his mouth. Was half hoping throughout the whole saga that he'd just zip it. And seriously, the last thing this emotional MC needs is another earful from a stranger carrying a Costco-size package of emotional problems . It's been a real chore sticking it out on the Becca trail. Plus, the grand finale with her and another floozy snuffed out my remaining sparks of interest.

Now, Amy's route - that was a different story. More like a cheerful joyride. It felt like accompanying her on a quest to tick off her bucket list before society's rules declare that a ringed woman should avoid lonely bar visits with clearly flirtatious strangers. (Honestly, even for someone who's just engaged, this seems a bit fishy to me, but hey, not my marriage, not my biz, right?).

Excited to see what new twists and turns the updates bring!

troll822

Jun 22, 2017
23 reviews so far, all of them 5 stars!
Congratulations to the developer(s).

I will give it some months to gather some more material as I realize quality and speed don't go together in indi games.

Nov 8, 2020
The final with Rebbeca really got me off guard, a tear showd up in my eyes. I was deep immersive in the story telling, as if i was inside, like in the character skin. Great writing, i will keep a eye in this game. :)

EricGrey

Nov 11, 2020
gloomyghost I think I've found a bug.

When starting up the game, and click Continue, you cannot load any of the game saves. Granted, I only have two at this point, but neither can be loaded.

I have found that if I then click on Load, they are available, or if I load from within an active game session, they are active. It only happens (AFAIK) when clicking Continue from the main menu.

Still going through Ch 1, so no feedback on the story yet.

gloomyghost

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2022
gloomyghost I think I've found a bug.

When starting up the game, and click Continue, you cannot load any of the game saves. Granted, I only have two at this point, but neither can be loaded.

I have found that if I then click on Load, they are available, or if I load from within an active game session, they are active. It only happens (AFAIK) when clicking Continue from the main menu.

Still going through Ch 1, so no feedback on the story yet.
Hi there! Thank you for letting us know. We've tried this but it seems to be working for us. Could it be possible you've downloaded an earlier version? I'd suggest trying to download it again and let us know if the problem persists.

EricGrey

Nov 11, 2020
Hi there! Thank you for letting us know. We've tried this but it seems to be working for us. Could it be possible you've downloaded an earlier version? I'd suggest trying to download it again and let us know if the problem persists.
I downloaded it again (from the Gofile link on the OP), deleted the existing folder, and extracted the new one and tried again. Same experience. I tried to record it, but no luck with either the x-box bar, or Nvidia.

Something is weird on my system, I guess.

gloomyghost

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2022
I downloaded it again (from the Gofile link on the OP), deleted the existing folder, and extracted the new one and tried again. Same experience. I tried to record it, but no luck with either the x-box bar, or Nvidia.

Something is weird on my system, I guess.
Sorry to hear that. So far it hasn't happened to anyone else we know of, we hope it gets solved for you with a future update.

EricGrey

Nov 11, 2020
Sorry to hear that. So far it hasn't happened to anyone else we know of, we hope it gets solved for you with a future update.
No worries. It's not a huge issue, IMO. Just thought I'd point it out when I came across it.

By the way, I've finished the available content, and enjoyed it tremendously. Can't wait for the next installment.

• Red Heart

gloomyghost

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2022
Strangers on Paper - DevLog #15 - Progress Update

This week it’ll be a month since the first early release of Strangers On Paper and, wow. We’ve gone from slowly figuring things out, to devoting every free minute of our days to it, to creating free minutes in our days, to thinking of nothing but it, to getting it out there, to being overwhelmed by everyone’s lovely response, to… going back to slowly figuring things out.

For the first few weeks after release, we couldn’t find it in ourselves to stop. We dove right into the Chapter 2 stuff while taking in everyone’s reception, and I think it was only when life inevitably got in the way that we took a step back and said, fine, let’s take a break. But after all that, getting back to work on SOP felt… weird. What do you mean we sleep regular hours? Where’s that incessant excitement to get everything else out of the way to go back to working on it? Did a whole week just go by without us having a no-meeting?

It’s gotten to the point in which we’ve been asking ourselves - and each other - were we always like this? And… yeah. Yeah, we were. It’s just May was a pretty insane month in which this whole thing took over our lives and we lost track of how to keep things going in a… healthy or balanced way. By now you may have noticed - or if this is your first time reading one of these dev logs, then you’ll soon realize -, I mainly write these for ourselves. To keep a record of how things have been going, to reflect on our progress, to share some stuff you may find interesting. So, this is just a little reminder to both Grogu and I that we are not machines, and that our “pace” has always been characterized by “trying to find a regular pace”.

Some days I’ll sit down to just edit this one scene and end up writing for six hours straight, other days I will set an afternoon aside for writing a scene and end up writing a dev log about our progress so far instead. And that’s still an actual good day, given some days none of that may end up happening.

Which doesn’t mean we haven’t been productive though. All things considered, I’m freaking proud of us. As we were wrapping things up for Chapter 1, we did take some extra time to make sure Chapter 2 and 3 would come out a lot more smoothly and, yeah, we’ve done one hell of a job. Thanks, past Grogu and Gizmo.
Anyways, here’s where we currently are and what it means:

• Writing: Like in Chapter 1, there’s 10 scenes for me to write and edit, plus the ‘ending’ scenes. So far, I’ve completed one scene, have another one at 90% (it just needs some surface editing, which consists of me checking the dialogue pacing, continuity, maybe one or two lines missing), another one at 70% (it's there from start to finish, but there’s quite a few lines missing and some formatting needed, plus another future surface edit), then two random ones that I’ve been writing and editing for months and may be around 50%. For the rest of the chapter, I have about 16 pages of content that needs to get properly organized and expanded on to actually make sense to others. My own personal goal is to make it to 50% of Chapter 2 by the end of the month - given I don’t necessarily write things chronologically, that could mean anything, so the general percentage feels more accurate/possible.
  • Art (Grogu): So far, Scene 1 of Chapter 2, except for a few details, is ready to work on and render. Since I rediscovered batch rendering, it has been a 180-degree change in the way I work, and I regret not having trusted it as much before. Hopefully, these visuals will come out faster now that I leave around 25-45 renders cooking overnight and can continue working the next day. Since SOP came out, I have learned many new things that I hope to implement visually. These upcoming chapters will include some new characters that I don't want to neglect. VN's usually put less effort into creating non-protagonist characters, but ZBrush/Blender are two tools that I have improved with in recent weeks and plan to use a lot for this.
  • Coding: The bane of our existence. Grogu has been mainly testing whether he can make the things that I need to happen at this point in the story work, and so far, he’s been successful. Future Grogu will have to deal with the rest.
Not gonna lie, we’re both quite ambitious with the timelines we’ve been setting for ourselves, but given we’d eventually like to make a living out of this, we want to work as hard as possible within reason.

With that being said, we’ll keep thanking each and every one of you that has supported and continues to support our work.
Enjoy the rest of your week folks!

PS: I’d meant to write about Chapter 2 and some character creation stuff, but this came out instead, so… look forward to that coming soon.
Here's a little update of how things are looking over here.

BrockLanders

Aug 8, 2020
I don't find either of the main LIs here attractive, but the story seems quite interesting and the writing flows very nicely. I don't remember seeing any grammatical errors, so that right there is a win in itself. I'm really looking forward to future updates. Cheers.

Zemax

☠︎︎ The real world is where the monsters are ☠︎︎
Modder
Uploader
Donor
Aug 19, 2022
Looking forward to more content

RobertDeadth

Game Developer
Dec 26, 2018
Okay, I've just played this (Becca's route) and felt the need to leave a comment at least - this game is absolutely gorgeous (and I'm not only talking about Becca). The renders are exceptionally well done when it comes to composition, lighting, and basically everything, really. I'm not sure if the person responsible for renders has some background in cinematography or something similar, but damn, super impressive stuff. And when it comes to the writing, it's just as good too - the dialogues are really well done, and the characters speak like actual people, which is more difficult to achieve than it might seem. Everything else about the game, music, GUI, everything just screams quality. I can't say anything about Amy's route, but I really enjoyed Becca's and I'll definitely check this out again when the next release drops. Amazing job guys, keeping my fingers crossed for the future of this and your next projects :)

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
I can't help it.
When I see the title of this game, I can't help but think of the Hitchcock classic, Strangers on a Train.

gloomyghost

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2022
I can't help it.
When I see the title of this game, I can't help but think of the Hitchcock classic, Strangers on a Train.
Ooh, that's a great one. Funnily enough, in the early stages of development, for some reason we got it in our heads that our game was "SOT" instead of "SOP". We still have some files under that name. I now wonder if Hitchcock's story title just made our way into our minds there.

• Haha
Reactions: Dragon59

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
Here's a little update of how things are looking over here.
Hey, just a word of advice: when the first version of a game is finally released, the old development thread is abandoned so that everything related to the game is concentrated in the same place. I recommend doing the same so that everyone's attention can be focused here and no one will miss any information. I think you should leave that thread and warn everyone commenting there that they need to move to this one. Remember that this is the thread that will be boosted every time a new update comes, so new players will come here looking for more info ;)

5.00 star(s) 38 Votes