Subverse - promising h-game on kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
I would say that it is already a success considering they raised nearly 2 millions euros with kickstarter.

I just have 2 questions :

- How much money did they make with patreon each month before being cancelled ?

- Did they already talk about their futures plans ? Because doing a kickstarter and selling their game is still a one-shot and it is not sustainable unlike their former patreon which give them recurring income.
I mean Larian Studios did two Kickstarter projects (Divinity: Original Sin and Divinity: Original Sin 2) and now are able to not use Kickstarter and are making Baldur's Gate 3, so you can manage to do a Kickstarter and then still make enough money to keep your studio running and produce future products. Both are studios that were doing things prior to Kickstarter and so I'd say StudioFOV has the opportunity to continue making games without looking to Kickstarter for every single game. (Of course I'm just saying they have the ability to, and not that they will successfully manage to do it.)

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Okay so basically you just don't want to view the xeno scenes. That's ok not everyone is into everything. Well...you're in luck then, because that's what the PANDORA system allows for.

View attachment 1093341 View attachment 1093342

As you can see in the above images, it allows you to unlock, choose and view what you'd like. You can filter by Crew (think like gangbangs with the unseen members of the crew, and likely the waifus with each other later), Captain (scenes with him and the lady of choice), neutral (solo stuff like teasing, masturbation, and after scene poses), and of course the Xeno scenes. We don't know what the cosmetic tab there does yet, I'd speculate its to choose an outfit for the scenes (we see Lily has a shiny red outfit in one of the trailers).

Obviously I cannot attest as to whether such content you fear appears in the story. Though humorously if you look at DEMI's profile on the website, you see she used to belong to Dread Lord Tibold, and was saved by the Captain. So thus far, the only one we can see that's been 'cucked' is one of the bad guys :p
I don't know if those screenshots show all unlockable scenes in the first release in the game, but if it is right, it would mean something like 35 / 40 scenes ?

and BTw thanks that1guyno1knows, maybe i'm overestimating dev costs.

Reactions: that1guyno1knows
May 8, 2017
We'll see how things play out, but for me (and I did see your earlier post on it and looked it over when you posted those graphics previously - thanks for posting those btw, you posted them in good resolution so I could actually see them clearly) it's not just 'seeing' the things happen, if there are any conversational references, or the captain 'overhearing' this stuff happening canonically in the game, then I'm out as far as purchasing it. For example, on the Steam store page, you have this bit -

...which is not acceptable to me in terms of content I'd pay for ('I don't pay to get cucked' :ROFLMAO:). But like I said, that's why I want to check it out first, and give it a chance. I've heard a number of things have changed as development has progressed from the original idea for the game, to the finalized version of it, so maybe there's a chance, hah. There are a few girls I really like amongst the waifus, so it'll kinda depend on how it all turns out - if only one of them is 'ruined' in the terms I've described here, but maybe 3 others have a story that plays out in a manner I like, then I may still buy the game on sale or something, although at this point it sounds like there's a really good chance Lily, who is one of my favorites, is likely going to fit into a category I find very unappealing, it's still pretty disappointing. So many unknowns at this point. It'll be good to actually play it and see what we're working with. :)
Wait is that even considered being "cucked"? If the Chief Science Officer isn't a character that your romantically involved with or someone you are expected to have been prior to this, that sounds more like Voyeurism to me, as it sounds more like: Just walking by and hearing two people that you're not intimate with getting it on. I'm not an expert on cuckholdry but I was always under the impression that if you haven't been intimate with someone, not in a relationship with them, or having talked about being intimate with someone then seeing/hearing them getting it on with someone else wouldn't fall under that category and would fall under voyeurism.

Again I'm not an expert on that fetish (as I'm not a fan of it) so do let me know if it does fall under that category or not.

Shanto947

Aug 1, 2019
I really hope they add NTR.
I know a lot of people are bashing on it, but they can add an option to avoid it.
Some of us actually like NTR content.
It's kind of like how not everyone likes futa, but it's there and It's skipable.
Why not add NTR the same way?

**As long as it's in the creators storyline, and they want to add it of course**

I'm not saying they have to cater to every fetish, but if it's something they want to add, they shouldn't be bashed for it.

Last edited:
May 8, 2017
I don't know if those screenshots show all unlockable scenes in the first release in the game, but if it is right, it would mean something like 35 / 40 scenes ?

and BTw thanks that1guyno1knows, maybe i'm overestimating dev costs.
Maybe or maybe not... I mean Divinity: Original Sin 2 sold really really well. 600k copies sold in 2 weeks and then surpassed 1 million copies after 2-3 months if I recall correctly... So they might be a very extreme example. If I remember correctly I also saw something claiming D:OS2 generated $85M in revenue over the course of 2017 (it was released in September that year but also had early access going on for awhile.) So they made a ton of freaking money.

Razrback16

Jul 20, 2020
Wait is that even considered being "cucked"? If the Chief Science Officer isn't a character that your romantically involved with or someone you are expected to have been prior to this, that sounds more like Voyeurism to me, as it sounds more like: Just walking by and hearing two people that you're not intimate with getting it on. I'm not an expert on cuckholdry but I was always under the impression that if you haven't been intimate with someone, not in a relationship with them, or having talked about being intimate with someone then seeing/hearing them getting it on with someone else wouldn't fall under that category and would fall under voyeurism.

Again I'm not an expert on that fetish (as I'm not a fan of it) so do let me know if it does fall under that category or not.
No worries - that's why I mentioned in post #576 that with Subverse things are a bit vague, and then I talked about open relationships, etc. and at one point in one of my posts mentioned how open relationships just aren't my thing, and aren't something I'm going to get my wallet out for. Once a high seas copy becomes available then we'll know what the real deal is with the game and can make an informed decision on whether it's for each of us individually or not.

If the game is indeed open relationships where the girls are doing other people / monsters whether the player wants them to or not as part of the story, then it's just not something that's designed for me, personally, and I won't be buying it. But if it turns out there's just like one or two characters who are like that, and a bunch of others fit what I'm looking for then I may re-consider dropping some money on the game to support the development studio.

I really hope they add NTR.
I know a lot of people are bashing on it, but they can add an option to avoid it.
Some of us actually like NTR content.
It's kind of like how not everyone likes futa, but it's there and It's skipable.
Why not add NTR the same way?

**As long as it's in the creators storyline, and they want to add it of course**

I'm not saying they have to cater to every fetish, but if it's something they want to add, they shouldn't be bashed for it.
You know, I'm fine with that and I'm not into NTR. The only issue the development studio would have with regard to all the different fetishes people want is if they ever want to make a sequel, establishing canon will be very difficult for continuity reasons. But if they are planning this game as just a one-off game universe then they can literally add anything and just make it optional as long as it's not put into other areas of the game (conversations, etc.)

Reactions: that1guyno1knows
Apr 22, 2019
They censored people over the last year on discord,official channels and before steam, later they removed the early access, now they're asking 30-40$ for a game that's barely finished, maybe 20% of it. The development has been quite far from being transparent.
Honestly I'll first try the game once shared here on the forum and later eventually support them if worth. I've the bad feeling there'll be just 4-5 scenes diluited with massive grind of a quite meh gameplay(from what I've already seen).
Anyway I hope to be on the wrong side, but we'll soon see how good/bad the game is.

Deleted member 324588

Engaged Member
Dec 9, 2017
Honestly, I was prepared to pay $99.99 for a Legendary Golden - Digital Deluxe Edition :sneaky:
Yeah quite a number of folk have said they'd totally be willing to pay for higher edition, or like ones that include the backer DLC. But FOW's remained pretty hard on the backer DLC staying exclusive. Which I'm sure will disappoint folks, but I'm the sure the vids of such things will go up on sites eventually.

Deleted member 324588

Engaged Member
Dec 9, 2017
I didn't know they planned to keep the DLC exclusive.
With it releasing as Early Access doesn't that make everyone backers technically?
Yeah. There was some discussion as to whether the artbook, which went for 50 on KS, could be sold, but they decided against it. Folks also wanted a soundtrack, but that was deemed not possible due to some licensed tracks in the game. Some tracks like the main menu music are already public though ( ). And I've already stated the explanation for the DLC being exclusive.

Deleted member 324588

Engaged Member
Dec 9, 2017
So yeah...think we've all learned what is and isn't relevant to game discussion. That being said, if anyone has any legit concerns or questions, I will gladly answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Shanto947

Aug 1, 2019
Yeah. There was some discussion as to whether the artbook, which went for 50 on KS, could be sold, but they decided against it. Folks also wanted a soundtrack, but that was deemed not possible due to some licensed tracks in the game. Some tracks like the main menu music are already public though ( ). And I've already stated the explanation for the DLC being exclusive.
Yeah, I believe someone is deleting replys. That's why I thought it was weird that you had to responded to it twice. So, I deleted the original reply, because of the confusion after all the messages started being deleted.

That being said...
I understand what you mean
Early Access didn't directly fund the starting of it, and Backers fund the project to get started > Early access buyers let them spend more money developing it. Without the backers there would be no early access

What I find weird is that people would feel cheated about the DLC being sold separately, even if it was released at a later date.
I would think that people would want you to buy the DLC, and support more development.
Let's be real people will exclusively pirate the DLC, and because of that less profit for development, and if anything that should make them feel more cheated.

I can see where they're coming from tho, it's like good intentions but a bad decision. Anyway hopefully that cleared things up. :)

Razrback16

Jul 20, 2020
Ya on the topic of the exclusive DLC, I hate the way they did that - it doesn't impact me personally as I'm not a backer, but let's imagine for a moment that I bought the game at launch (or even kickstarted it for like $50 or something) and loved it - that really stinks that a section of the game, even if it's small, would be roped off to me because of that. I've seen more than a few comments from backers in various forums mention that even though they own the game, they will look for the pirated copy if it includes the unlocked DLC, when you know a ton of people would just buy this DLC if it was made available.

I understand wanting to preserve the feeling of having something special for high dollar backers (what was it $175 or something to get it?), but once this thing gets cracked, copies will be floating all over the place that will probably include the DLC and as so often seems to be the case with games, the pirate copy will end up being superior to the legit copy.

Deleted member 324588

Engaged Member
Dec 9, 2017
Ya on the topic of the exclusive DLC, I hate the way they did that - it doesn't impact me personally as I'm not a backer, but let's imagine for a moment that I bought the game at launch (or even kickstarted it for like $50 or something) and loved it - that really stinks that a section of the game, even if it's small, would be roped off to me because of that. I've seen more than a few comments from backers in various forums mention that even though they own the game, they will look for the pirated copy if it includes the unlocked DLC, when you know a ton of people would just buy this DLC if it was made available.

I understand wanting to preserve the feeling of having something special for high dollar backers (what was it $175 or something to get it?), but once this thing gets cracked, copies will be floating all over the place that will probably include the DLC and as so often seems to be the case with games, the pirate copy will end up being superior to the legit copy.
Yes but most folks generally dislike exclusive DLC when its something substantial. The most of what you're missing out on is a pet, and a hangout spot for the waifus, its not like you're missing an entire character or story-based content.

Status
Not open for further replies.