Tool Sugoi - a translate tool with offline AI-powered model to translate from Japanese; DeePL competitor

Entai2965

Jan 12, 2020
Does anyone have the older versions of the software? V2.0/V3.0/V4.0 for example. I'd really appreciate if someone uploads them since all the old links are dead and I need to test something out.

Edit:

Here is the Sugoi Offline Translation v4.0 model converted for use with CTranslate2 from Sugoi Toolkit v7.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Edit2: I found something interesting posted on the Sugoi Toolkit discord. It should be possible to repackage Sugoi now with native fairseq + CTranslate2 + CUDA + DirectML support. I will keep working on this.

Edit3: Updated link and description.

Edit4: For reasons that I do not fully understand, there is this post on now. CPU + CUDA + DirectML support. No ROCm support. It should be possible to get ROCm working on Linux or Windows + WSL from what AMD's documentation says but there is not any documentation about it from the server authors, so there is no repackage for that. Also, DirectML is a joke until MS decides to update it. CTranslate2 + CPU is often better.

Edit5: Updated Fuwa link.

Last edited:

Tokita

Nov 19, 2019
. A public link will be posted on the 15th or 16th (~2 weeks).

Gecy

Apr 30, 2020
Seems like only cosmetic changes and fixes. Nothing on translation model improvement?

Extravagent

May 19, 2020
Requirements:
  • install Python 3.10 (3.11 may also work but without guarantees)
  • install pytorch from the console (to use an RTX series video card)
    pip3 install torch torchvision torchaudio --index-url (allegedly better for RTX40xx)
    OR
    pip3 install torch torchvision torchaudio --index-url (allegedly better for older RTX series)
  • install Microsoft C++ Build Tools: , (I have already installed them, so I am not sure about any problems)

Installation (short version without using venv)
  • install via GitHub Desktop: green button "Code" / "Open with GitHub Desktop"
    or with the command "git clone " (I installed it to the f:\soft\manga-image-translator so this path should be replaced with your)
  • open the console (Win+R / cmd.exe)
  • open the folder where you installed manga-image-translator (documentation missing this step)
    f:
    cd f:\soft\manga-image-translator
  • run
    pip install -r requirements.txt
    pip install git+

if the last doesn't work, then the alternative is:
    pip install
Using
Run in the console from the folder where manga-image-translator is installed:
python -m manga_translator -v --mode batch --use-gpu --translator=sugoi --manga2eng --ignore-errors -f=jpg --font-path=F:/fonts/CCWildWordsRoman.ttf -l ENG -i F:/manga/title
Warning: the first run takes a lot of time because the installation does not include AI models and they downloaded on the first run.

Replace F:/fonts/CCWildWordsRoman.ttf with your font path and F:/manga/title with the path to the manga or images.

Results will be in the F:/manga/title-translated folder.
What do I do if when it says "[SugoiTranslator] Translating into English" is stuck?

Entai2965

Jan 12, 2020
I had to update the repackages I did here since py3translationServer was renamed. I also went ahead and integrated the server software to avoid it ever breaking again. At least there is a web UI and cache integrated now.

screenshot.png

To add cache to the Sugoi offline translator.
  1. Install the server according to the instructions on
  2. If it is already started, stop Sugoi Translator
  3. Start the server software with the included .bat file at Sugoi-Repackage\py3translationServer.bat
    • Use whichever one works for your hardware
  4. Start Sugoi. Sugoi should now use the new server instead of its default one that does not have cache.
Oddly enough, the UI sort-of also works with the default Sugoi server.
Code:
Sugoi-Repackage-CPU\apps\Python310\Python.exe -m streamlit run Sugoi-Repackage-CPU\apps\py3translationServer\resources\webUI.py

Reactions: LordFrz

Surgy

Modder
Apr 23, 2018
Just a newb question: is there a way to fine-tune the Sugoi v4.0 model with my own examples?
Can anyone ELI5 how to do this?

Surgy

Modder
Apr 23, 2018
Thanks for the hint.

Also I really hope someone can make a way to use a local copy of DeepL's GUI as a frontend like py3translationServer since there's already CTranslate2 model conversion and it surprisingly length constraints, alternatives at a position, output randomization and autocomplete that the aforementioned site does.

Entai2965

Jan 12, 2020
Thanks for the hint.

Also I really hope someone can make a way to use a local copy of DeepL's GUI as a frontend like py3translationServer since there's already CTranslate2 model conversion and it surprisingly length constraints, alternatives at a position, output randomization and autocomplete that the aforementioned site does.
I am not exactly sure about how any of that works, but maybe the server author would be up for adding whatever that is as a feature? You could try asking them.

Teardrp

Dec 7, 2018
public link is up
Both blog and patreon don't display anything available for public. 2024-03-02 post on patreon is locked behind a paywall.
Discord channel doesn't seem to have it either.

Am I supposed to login/subscribe to the blog to see public links or smth?

Entai2965

Jan 12, 2020
Both blog and patreon don't display anything available for public. 2024-03-02 post on patreon is locked behind a paywall.
Discord channel doesn't seem to have it either.

Am I supposed to login/subscribe to the blog to see public links or smth?
It is in the same place every month.
  1. Go to his Patreon:
  2. Click on "About".
  3. Download the latest version of the toolkit. Right now that is "Sugoi_Toolkit_V8.0_Public_Link_1234324.zip"
  4. Extract with 7-Zip or WinRar.

Reactions: Teardrp

nekim

Sep 16, 2017
From discord: (about cuda script fix)

For V8, I've noticed the cuda script bundled in the archive is broken I tried replacing this line in the powershell script to get it to install at line 42 from

$installtest = "$ocrfolder\Code\Sugoi-ASMR-Translator.bat";

to

$installtest = "$ocrfolder\Code\Sugoi-Audio-Video-Translator.bat";

Entai2965

Jan 12, 2020
Saw this and thought of you. This might be relevant for your interests.

Reactions: Surgy

Nerro

Sep 9, 2017
Sugoi_Toolkit_v8.0

For preservation.
And also modified menu for those who don't want to see the site every time (file with the original window included).
Ty so much. That small 2 day window you can download for free is just so utterly stupid and excessive way of paywalling the program. Its obvious he suddenly just wants all users to pay him but skates around a full paywall by doing it this way. He should just make the latest version paid and release the older versions for free, that's how most devs introduce monetization to their free program. But I think he is greedy and wants to try and force all users to pay him immediately :FacePalm:

Entai2965

Jan 12, 2020
As long as he does not put DRM on it, it is fine. If there are enough users interested in his software, then having the community mirror it every once in a while is a worthwhile trade off for the dev to continue their development and encourage, but not require, people to donate. If that is how the dev wants to give away his software, it is a worthwhile trade off vs it going closed source, getting drm'd or fully paywalled.