4.70 star(s) 272 Votes

Sweet Force

May 18, 2017
Well that's a take I don't think I've seen before. So just to make sure I'm understanding your position correctly, you think animations = higher quality game? I don't necessarily agree with that. I think (besides sex animations) most animations just look clunky and are a huge time sink. I'm just having trouble understanding "a lot of money" = "animations are to be expected". Maybe in a traditional game sense, that'd make sense but I don't think that applies to VNs. I just don't think animating a character flipping someone off in a dramatic way is anything anyone asked for and just wastes time.

I think our disagreement might stem from how we each view animations in regards to VNs. (Or are you specifically talking about sex animations because if you read what I said carefully, I'm not talking about those) I personally view most animations as a time sink with no real added benefit. I don't necessarily see them as "higher quality" if a VN has them. I'm usually playing VNs for the characters. Couldn't give a shit about the bells and whistles as long as the characters look good and the writing is pretty good, which Summer Heat has both of.

Just to make it clear. This is just my general stance based on devs who get too fixated on animations. I'm not talking about Summer Heat and its animations/process because I have zero information on what's going on currently. I've just been chilling out and I'll gladly wait until the update comes out since I don't usually have time to play much anyway. That being said, in relation to Summer Heat and its Patreon:

If the money they were getting was going towards equipment or hiring more help that could somehow eliminate that time sink then I could see how "I'm paying this much money so I deserve animations because I perceive that as higher quality". However, that's usually not the case. A lot of devs choose to keep things small or even just solo. Even with more help, I've seen devs who just don't know how to manage people and updates still just come out at the same pace it did before. As for equipment, I've seen devs just get more and more ambitious with the animations instead of actually using the higher-scaled equipment to reduce time spent on making them. Point is, I've never really seen more money = more efficient animation creation.

If Patreon members actively voted for animations or voiced that they wanted more animations then I can totally see how that makes sense but if they didn't then I'd say what's truly fair for the people donating money is to not waste their time on something they don't want. Unless it's something that Patreon members actually want, it just seems like a waste of money based on time for them. If I were donating, I'd rather just get the updates quicker with the same, high-quality render stills than wait a few more months every time for animations I'm likely to not care about. Eventually, those extra months add up to "Do I donate $30/month for 5 years until this game is completed or do I donate $30/month for 7 years or longer until this game is completed"

Patreon is a really weird business model. People start to get the wrong idea that they're deserved anything if they "pay" money to a creator on Patreon. It's not how that works. The creator doesn't owe the person donating anything. It's a donation to a dev, etc. you like so the creator can continue working on stuff. It's literally why it's called Patreon. "Patron" - "Artist". That being said, the person donating isn't obliged to donate on the highest tier amounts and more usually than not are just donating or a specific game the dev is making. So I think to be more fair to the people donating, it'd make more sense to just get the updates out quicker than worry about animations. You're not guaranteed a product in any way you imagined it but at least get your "money's worth" in this sense by not having to wait a decade for the game to be completed. I've always just seen Patreon as a way for devs to take it full-time and devote more time into it. I already like the game, it doesn't need to be "better". I just don't want to be an old fuck when it's finally finished.

At any rate, you had a new opinion I hadn't seen before. No hard feelings, man. I just wanted to explain my stance on animations in VNs because I eventually got so sick of a particular dev taking longer and longer due to his obsession with turning it into some "high quality masterpiece" with all the animations, etc. that I just lost all interest in the game and stopped donating on Patreon long before then. Peace.
If you ever run for VN president, you have my vote and my sword! I like your idea that when it comes to increasing income on Patreon, the best option is to increase the speed of updates and not invest time and money in graphically improving the work to cosmic levels 16K and various animations that increase development time.

Taking this to the field of video games as an example, games with narrative and mechanical innovation in the industry will be remembered forever but a game that when it came out the only thing it contributed was a high graphic level, over time it is surpassed and forgotten, if the game stood out narratively, even though its graphics were outdated, it will continue to be a masterpiece.

Reactions: allanl9020142

allanl9020142

Aug 23, 2018
If you ever run for VN president, you have my vote and my sword! I like your idea that when it comes to increasing income on Patreon, the best option is to increase the speed of updates and not invest time and money in graphically improving the work to cosmic levels 16K and various animations that increase development time.

Taking this to the field of video games as an example, games with narrative and mechanical innovation in the industry will be remembered forever but a game that when it came out the only thing it contributed was a high graphic level, over time it is surpassed and forgotten, if the game stood out narratively, even though its graphics were outdated, it will continue to be a masterpiece.
Hmm, not exactly what I'm getting at here but thanks for the support!

My point is more like, I don't see how more animations means more "quality" when it's just a marginal added benefit that makes the dev cycle even longer. And I don't even see how in the world "more money" = "potential for more animations" when devs usually end up biting off even more to chew or it's poor resource/team management which leads us back to the same amount of time spent or longer. In theory, yes. From what I've seen, no.

Also, honestly in regards to money. Same kind of goes for "faster updates" in some cases. More income doesn't necessarily mean faster updates either. It's a similar pattern. It's still a lot more likely that faster updates will come if a dev can work on it full-time but the common pitfalls are still there. It really comes down to the dev to just say, "It's gone too long. Let's just call it here." Since with Patreon, they don't have any hard deadlines. They need to make those decisions themselves all while being incentivized to keep it going for as long as possible and having no hard consequences like needing to complete a game then sell it in order to keep operating.

Animations are just one of the common pitfalls Patreon devs fall into. So it's just kind of like, let's at least have one less shiny distraction that elongates dev cycles which results in diminishing marginal returns (with time being the resource spent in this scenario).

I don't think the other guy is wrong. I just don't understand his perspective because I don't even consider animations a side dish when it comes to VNs (except for sex scenes). It's a garnish and I really don't see the point when it starts to hold things up.

Sorry, I'm pretty long-winded when it comes to writing. But I tried to organize it if you want to read the rest. You really don't have to, I think I summed it up pretty well above.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Axeleen

May 1, 2018
Yes, I'm telling you exactly that.
lol dude stop trying to be a smartass, it's pitiful. For your sake, I'm telling you, the only thing you're achieving is that you're not absorbing half of both things you **try** to consume at the same time. Seriously just look at your profile for 2 seconds, you're literally spending your entire life on this website. Which re.tard do you think will believe you when you claim doing anything productive or useful in your life ?

And trust me, I'm an SRE managing bare-metal clusters of about 200 total machines, I know my fair share about multitasking.

Try to get your life together some day.

• Haha
Reactions: Darkdevil66

Axeleen

May 1, 2018
not that hard for some I used to watch tv or listen to some star wars audiobooks while playing world of warcraft or some other single player game when doing content that doesn't matter. Granted probably a bit harder to read and listen but probably not by much im sure there are those that can do it easily.
playing an action game while listening to an audiobook is absolutely incomparable to reading a story while listening to another one at the same time. Study of the brain works. The first case uses two very different cognitive areas, the second one use the exact same, besides the sensory tracts up to the brain.

Milton749

Engaged Member
Jul 26, 2023
lol dude stop trying to be a smartass, it's pitiful. For your sake, I'm telling you, the only thing you're achieving is that you're not absorbing half of both things you **try** to consume at the same time. Seriously just look at your profile for 2 seconds, you're literally spending your entire life on this website. Which re.tard do you think will believe you when you claim doing anything productive or useful in your life ?

And trust me, I'm an SRE managing bare-metal clusters of about 200 total machines, I know my fair share about multitasking.

Why does it matter if that's how he plays? You seem to be getting pretty worked up and making it a bit personal, just because mintymuz doesn't play AVNs the way you believe he should. Everyone plays differently and everyone is entitled to play the way they want to play. Calling him a liar or telling him he's wasting his life is just rude and unnecessary. I sometimes watch a football game while playing an AVN with the screens side by side, I guess I'm doing it wrong too.

mintymuz

Apr 8, 2024

Erm, I'm pretty sure I know a hell of a lot more about what I'm capable of than you do. This is a really weird hill you've chosen to die on - arguing with a stranger on the internet because you can't comprehend something and therefore think it must be impossible.

And not that it concerns you, but I'm self-employed and work from home, and I'm plenty productive. I flick this forum open or go to Discord or Twitter or whatever every so often to take a break (or just distract myself) from the work I'm doing, and I still get everything I need to do done before my deadlines. And guess what... I'm listening to an audiobook while I type this.

Reactions: Joshy92

Ass prefer

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2022
Erm, I'm pretty sure I know a hell of a lot more about what I'm capable of than you do. This is a really weird hill you've chosen to die on - arguing with a stranger on the internet because you can't comprehend something and therefore think it must be impossible.

And not that it concerns you, but I'm self-employed and work from home, and I'm plenty productive. I flick this forum open or go to Discord or Twitter or whatever every so often to take a break (or just distract myself) from the work I'm doing, and I still get everything I need to do done before my deadlines. And guess what... I'm listening to an audiobook while I type this.
We had a chance to see the real true sigma mail Patrik Beitmen.
What an honor

4.70 star(s) 272 Votes