4.20 star(s) 141 Votes

The Naughty Captain

Game Developer
Aug 21, 2019
On the monthly releases, IMO don't worry about it. Most of the good games here aren't on monthly schedules they're on "whenever its done" schedules. Releasing incomplete builds probably isn't the best idea, they'll get leaked and since people here don't know how to read it'll lead to a bunch of whining.
I agree with jamdan, don't pigeonhole yourself into a set release schedule if your workload doesn't allow for it, all you'll do is annoy people.
A completion % update post every week or 2 might be your best bet, just so people know you're still working on it, and then release it when the build is ready.

Whatever you decide, I'd suggest proper "transparency" when it comes to issues or delays or whatever. If you fall down the stairs and break your arms, people will understand as long as you have a good track record. If you try telling your patrons that your mother died for the 3rd time...not so much (and yes, I've actually seen that).
Thank you for your advices.
I was a little stressed by this question and the responses I'm getting are very reassuring.

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018

My estimation in the last dev update was pretty accurate.

What is done :

Scenes 1 to 11 are written, rendered and coded.

For now, V03 contains 2500 lines of codes and dialogues and 209 renders.

What remains to be done :

Are remaining the last 6 scenes which conclude the day depending on your choices. I almost finished writing the first one and I already started working on renders.

These 6 scenes are the most important part of the release. As "naughty" scenes are what defines a "naughty" game, I have to take special care in producing them.

I also have to review each render and post-process when needed.

Following my last update and my question regarding the rhythm and schedule of releases. I understand that you are not interested in playing a half-finished game.

I'll give you more preview renders instead.

Thank you for your interest and your support

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
Thank you for your advices.
I was a little stressed by this question and the responses I'm getting are very reassuring.
While we're still on the way to v0.3, and considering that you're already feeling the pressure, I think another way to reduce the pressure is to not create something more than you can reasonably manage. For a game that has multiple paths like yours, it's very easy to get carried away and you ended up making more and more and more and more content for every single path.

The more paths = the more content = the more time needed = the more pressure you feel = easy to spiral out of control that leads to you burning out = not healthy

So make sure you are keeping things in check. Sometimes "less is more" can be true. Your health is more important after all.

The Naughty Captain

Game Developer
Aug 21, 2019
While we're still on the way to v0.3, and considering that you're already feeling the pressure, I think another way to reduce the pressure is to not create something more than you can reasonably manage. For a game that has multiple paths like yours, it's very easy to get carried away and you ended up making more and more and more and more content for every single path.

The more paths = the more content = the more time needed = the more pressure you feel = easy to spiral out of control that leads to you burning out = not healthy

So make sure you are keeping things in check. Sometimes "less is more" can be true. Your health is more important after all.
Well, I don't plan on burning out, but I indeed feel a bit of pressure.
My "day job" was already a stressful one so I can say that I'm somehow used to it.
I already have a lot of content mapped for futures releases, and I'll probably add more. I'll try to keep it manageable anyway.
I'm still learning things and I have hope that the technical difficulties I encountered on this version will ease future releases.
We'll see how it goes, but as you said, health is more important.

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018

For V0.1 and V0.2 I used some very basic post-processing techniques to tweak my renders. The results were not that bad but it lacked precision and identity. Therefore I'm working on a new way of working that part.

Here is an example.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
This is a render from V0.3. No post-processing has been done. It's straight out of Daz studio. It lacks a bit of contrast.

Here is the same render with the post-processing I used to apply during V0.1 and V0.2.

Contrast is now undeniably there, but the result is a bit brutal.

Here is the same render post-processed with a different technique. It's a bit more time consuming but the results are, in my opinion, definitely better. Contrast is there, details are preserved, light is better balanced.

Now, for the "identity" part, I thinking about playing with filtered light as in the example below. Again, the same render, new post-process applied, filtered light.
What do you think of it?

The Captain.

Vainglorious

Jun 14, 2018

For V0.1 and V0.2 I used some very basic post-processing techniques to tweak my renders. The results were not that bad but it lacked precision and identity. Therefore I'm working on a new way of working that part.

Here is an example.
This is a render from V0.3. No post-processing has been done. It's straight out of Daz studio. It lacks a bit of contrast.

Here is the same render with the post-processing I used to apply during V0.1 and V0.2.

Contrast is now undeniably there, but the result is a bit brutal.

Here is the same render post-processed with a different technique. It's a bit more time consuming but the results are, in my opinion, definitely better. Contrast is there, details are preserved, light is better balanced.

Now, for the "identity" part, I thinking about playing with filtered light as in the example below. Again, the same render, new post-process applied, filtered light.
What do you think of it?

The Captain.
I can't tell a huge difference in the first three. The last one however the girl looks washed out. Like the cover of a magazine that's been left out in the sun.

UnoriginalUserName

Engaged Member
Sep 3, 2017
Honestly it looks like someone installed some "Cool White" lightbulbs for that last pic, whereas it was much more natural looking lighting for the first 3. And as for the first 3, I'm honestly having a very hard time distinguishing between them. What's different / been modified? :unsure:

The Naughty Captain

Game Developer
Aug 21, 2019
Honestly it looks like someone installed some "Cool White" lightbulbs for that last pic, whereas it was much more natural looking lighting for the first 3. And as for the first 3, I'm honestly having a very hard time distinguishing between them. What's different / been modified? :unsure:
I guess that if you can't see any differences, that means I'm a little too attached to details :p

In the second pic, I set contrast and light globally, and light can some times wash away details. Like around the door in the background, or even on Cassie's face.
In the third pic, I use another technique to make more localized changes. Light is better controlled, fewer details are lost in highlights.

Anyway, a lot of people are not seeing any differences. I probably see it because I'm spending too much time looking at it.

UnoriginalUserName

Engaged Member
Sep 3, 2017
I guess that if you can't see any differences, that means I'm a little too attached to details :p

In the second pic, I set contrast and light globally, and light can some times wash away details. Like around the door in the background, or even on Cassie's face.
In the third pic, I use another technique to make more localized changes. Light is better controlled, fewer details are lost in highlights.

Anyway, a lot of people are not seeing any differences. I probably see it because I'm spending too much time looking at it.
Well, it's your work and you're looking for the specific changes that are being made, so it stands to reason you'd be more aware of things. Plus people tend to be their own harshest critics when they're passionate about something they do.

Also : I have no artistic ability whatsoever. I'm literally "that guy" that got brought to Home Depot by the girlfriend to look at paint swatches and then got shit thrown at him after an argument because I said 5 color samples were all white. Apparently that was the wrong answer.

Edit : After looking at the 3 pictures again in an actual image viewer instead of the browser, I actually can tell a difference between the 3 (especially now that I know what to look for), and the third one does look better than the first two.

Still not a fan of that 4th "filtered light" pic though.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Naughty Captain

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018

Heya!

Here is a quick update :

There will be 6 conclusion scenes in v0.3.

3 for Cassie, and 3 for Eve.

Cassie's scenes are fully written and 2 are already rendered. I'm working on the renders of the third one.

Eve's first and second scenes are also completely written.

I'll have finished all of Cassie's stuff and the writing of Eve's last scene by the end of this week.

I hope to complete everything by the end of next week.

For now, V0.3 contains 3200 lines of code and dialogue and 240 renders.

Thank you!

The Naughty Captain

Game Developer
Aug 21, 2019
Still not a fan of that 4th "filtered light" pic though.
That filtered light thing was probably a bad idea anyway. Let's forget about it.

Fantastic game. Talented and I appreciate it. Looking forward to more..
Thank you =)

The Naughty Captain You would be surprised how many people miss details or don't pay attention to them.
Sometimes I forget to even look at the art while reading, only when something specific is mentioned in the text I realize I've been completely focused on reading and nothing else.
I guess that if the story is good enough for you to read it with attention, visual details are less important.

UnoriginalUserName

Engaged Member
Sep 3, 2017
Sometimes I forget to even look at the art while reading, only when something specific is mentioned in the text I realize I've been completely focused on reading and nothing else.
I guess that if the story is good enough for you to read it with attention, visual details are less important.
Leaked art from the next update after The Naughty Captain said "Fine, I won't fucking bother then!" and kicked over his rendering computer :

boobs-web_1_orig.jpg

:ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, the story AND the models are fantastic.

4.20 star(s) 141 Votes