Mod Ren'Py Summer Scent [v0.6.4a] Multi-Mod [Sancho1969]

4.30 star(s) 3 Votes

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Update:

Day 5 and revised Day 2 thru 4 now completed and uploaded. Re-download, extract, and install (overwriting as necessary). I'm moving on to Day 6 soon. Please report any bugs found in ChoiceGuide of Day 1 thru Day 5. Regards.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
SanchoNote:

Since the dev has compiled the VN in 3yr old RenPy, the mod is now putting some noticeable weight on graphics processing since I cannot call for the OpenGL2 API proper. As such running the VN on an integrated graphics chip (Intel) is going to bog down a bit.

I highly suggest running it on your dedicated GPU (if available). You could do it via your GPU's control center but the easiest way for most "non-technical" folks is to right-click on the title's executable file (the one you normally double-click to start the VN), and in that right-click menu select "Run with graphics processor", then select your dedicated GPU. Once in-game you'll notice it's much snappier/responsive, especially the Sancho window transitions and the SanchoGallery hover transitions.

Before I started the mod port I notified the dev of the issue, but it is what it is (he heard there were issues with RenPy 7.4x but that's hogwash imho). This is what happens when folks don't update their software proper for several years. Anyway, that's my tip for best performance running SanchoMod on these older RenPy version compiled titles (any of them). Regards.

greeneyed

Jul 30, 2017
Hey Sancho, nice work with the mod but I'm having trouble with the ChoiceGuide. I can't see any choices when the ChoiceGuide option is turned on. Evidenced below, any ideas? (Everything else seems to be working however)
1637615998903.png

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Hey Sancho, nice work with the mod but I'm having trouble with the ChoiceGuide. I can't see any choices when the ChoiceGuide option is turned on. Evidenced below, any ideas? (Everything else seems to be working however)
Good afternoon. That anomaly seems to suggest you didn't install the mod files properly or the game install you had was meddled with prior to installation.

If it is the former: You must not move the files/folders within the compressed download. Simply extract them directly inside the title's "game" folder. It appears from your screen that the "scripts.rpa" that is included with the mod is not inside the "game" folder alongside the "SanchoMod.rpa" file.

If it is the latter: If the above are found to be correct, then the only other thing it can be is you unpacked the OEM files then added the mod. Doing this makes the OEM scripts take priority which you don't want. Install the mod in a proper/fresh game install, not one that has been meddled with. There is no need to unpackage anything.

Regards.

Moisan4

Jul 12, 2017
If the mod was installed correctly, do you have old save game files on your system for this game? Not just in ...\"Main Game Folder"\game\saves but also in C:\Users\"User Name"\AppData\Roaming\RenPy\"Game Save Folder" (For Windows). Make a backup of saves, then delete the save files from both locations, then try playing the game again. There is likely a better fix for this issue, but this fix seems to work for me with Ren'Py games and any Walkthrough Mods not displaying choices correctly.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
If the mod was installed correctly, do you have old save game files on your system for this game? Not just in ...\"Main Game Folder"\game\saves but also in C:\Users\"User Name"\AppData\Roaming\RenPy\"Game Save Folder" (For Windows). Make a backup of saves, then delete the save files from both locations, then try playing the game again. There is likely a better fix for this issue, but this fix seems to work for me with Ren'Py games and any Walkthrough Mods not displaying choices correctly.
There is no need to delete/remove prior saves unless the older save was with another mod installed. SanchoMod doesn't care about OEM save locations/variables, as long as it wasn't a save with another mod installed previously.....that matters as most modders don't keep the saves clean.

Edit: to clarify. Most folks create saves at a menu choice. Most "w/t mods" edit the menu directly. As a result, if you load that save in an unmodded game then it's usually borked (causes an exception/game crash) because the info in that initial screen of the save no longer exists. SanchoMod doesn't do that, it uses variable flags with sidechained Python code to create the guide...that way your saves are left as clean as possible. Me saying that, I have included a "uninstall" file if one choose to remove my mod since the saves still are dependent on the Python. There's no way around that, it's a RenPy thing but the file is unobtrusive, and doesn't alter any persistent data at all. Regards.

Last edited:
Reactions: weirdscix

Moisan4

Jul 12, 2017
There is no need to delete/remove prior saves. SanchoMod doesn't care about that, as long as it wasn't a save with another mod installed previously.....that matters as most modders don't keep the saves clean.
Could old saves with/without (a change) having the Incest Patch cause an issue? Or old saves with the original Walkthrough Mod (not made by you) be an issue?

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Could old saves with/without Incest Patch cause an issue? Or old saves with the original Walkthrough Mod (not made by you) be an issue?
Indeed.(well, it depends on how it's handled tbh) I edit the post to further elaborate. I can detail further if that isn't clear, I'll think of an easy/short example....

Edit: An example where an iPatch doesn't break without mod installed when previously installed and a save was made: My "Vis" mod which I created a full-game patch that, even if one makes a save with it, it doesn't break if the mod is removed and the save loaded in a fresh OEM install. The reason: Python libraries created for text substitute....so if the trigger (variable [iPatch =True] isn't found then no substitution is made.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Moisan4 or others who might be curious

How most modders make a WT which will break your saves if you load without the mod (assuming you save at the menu choice like most folks do):

(menu choice code example)
Python:
menu:
    "Sample text of choice 1 (Modder says: {color=AlwaysFuckingGreen}Best Choice)": #<-- Modder changes menu button text directly
        $tempvariable =True
        charname "some dialogue"
    "Sample text of choice 2": #<-- Modder didn't alter this OEM text
        $tempvariable =False
        charname "some dialogue"
This is where the problem with saves w/ a mod usually start since the player usually saves here, at a menu choice. The problem is when the player tries to load this save (like when a VN is updated and the previously used mod is not), they try to load it with a clean OEM game which the code isn't like the above, it doesn't have the green "Best Choice" text so it throws an exception (crash) when trying to load that screen via the save (again, if the save point was at the menu choice).

The new core SanchoMod doesn't do that, it doesn't manipulate the on-screen text/pics directly but rather indirectly, hence how I can keep your saves clean (assuming you save normally at a menu choice like most folks do).

Moisan4

Jul 12, 2017
This is where the problem with saves w/ a mod usually start since the player usually saves here, at a menu choice. The problem is when the player tries to load this save (like when a VN is updated and the previously used mod is not), they try to load it with a clean OEM game which the code isn't like the above, it doesn't have the green "Best Choice" text so it throws an exception (crash) when trying to load that screen via the save (again, if the save point was at the menu choice).

The new core SanchoMod doesn't do that, it doesn't manipulate the on-screen text/pics directly but rather indirectly, hence how I can keep your saves clean (assuming you save normally at a menu choice like most folks do).
Thank you, for the info. Always great to learn something new.

JenMistress

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2019
Can you try to reload just a bit prior to that save point and lead up to that menu? I just did and no error. If you don't mind, thanks.
Same thing, even started over from the beginning of the game, goes from this...

1637625477072.png

to the error screen, and if I hit ignore, this is the next screen.

1637625550367.png

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Same thing, even started over from the beginning of the game, goes from this...

View attachment 1514435

to the error screen, and if I hit ignore, this is the next screen.

View attachment 1514436
Thank you. That might help since while trying to assume your route I get the menu no problem but the screen I had just previous to it was:
1637625934255.png

where you have:

View attachment 1514435

Give me a bit to retrace. Very odd. It has to be something very simple I missed while fixing that last bug. I'll update you shortly.

• Red Heart
Reactions: JenMistress

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
JenMistress Ha! I think I found it. You must have Ep4.WillingSodom as True...I never tested that. Give me a bit to correct, re-compile, and upload. Great catch.....I would have never thought I needed to test a mod by willingly choosing to stick something up my ass, :ROFLMAO:

4.30 star(s) 3 Votes