Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
U serious? I thought it would be something more german or deffinitely not something like "Nika".
It is fitting if Nojiko gave them their names, which is another reminder that the old story about the two siblings is complete quark. Whatever happened back then must be sifferent to what we know. Not for nothing Nika is researching what really happened.
And now for something completely different...

Frohe Weihnachten an Alle! Merry Christmas everybody!

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
I don't know why it should be more german and what a typical german name would be, but as a german I can tell you this name isn't unusual in Germany. Not as a stand alone name but as a nick name for Anika/Annika/Anicka.
That is correct, but it is a girl´s nickname and that is the version I hear normally. Nika for a boy is unusual. Niko (short for Nikolaus) would be more often heard for boys.

PeopleCallMeSmile

Jan 5, 2020
I don't know why it should be more german and what a typical german name would be, but as a german I can tell you this name isn't unusual in Germany. Not as a stand alone name but as a nick name for Anika/Annika/Anicka. Mostly in the West of Germany in the border regions to the Netherlands. So far I know the name "Nika" is also a thing in East Germany where the Soviets was the occupy force until 1990. At least there are many Russians here who fled from there in the 1990s because of the economic crises in the ex-USSR. So yes, this name is a normal one in Germany. I think the most Germans knows at least one Nika.

But let me ask you this, why should the name "more german"? The place where this AVN is settled isn't Germany.
So in Germany you name your boys as Nika which is a nickname to Anika which is a name given to girls???

Reactions: Tremonia

D3xzalias

Aug 1, 2018
The Name Nika comes from ancient greece not Japan or germany yes it comes from the goddess Nike and is more on the female side but overal it considered a gender neutral name

Reactions: Kansier

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
So in Germany you name your boys as Nika which is a nickname to Anika which is a name given to girls???
As I wrote in an earlier post, Nika for a boy is very rare in Germany. You hear far more often Niko/Nick/Niklas instead of Nika when it comes to boys names. Nika is almost always a nickname for a girl in Germany, the male version exists, but is rarely used.
The Name Nika comes from ancient greece not Japan or germany yes it comes from the goddess Nike and is more on the female side but overal it considered a gender neutral name
Even gender neutral names often are used differently in various nations. For instance in Germany when you hear the name "Sascha" you expect a male and with "Nikita" a female (their male/female forms are used too, but only rarely), there are nations were this is inverted. Or in Italy "Andrea" is a male name, whereas in Germany "Andrea" is a female name. "Andreas" is the male version.
Maria is one name which is used for both genders often, but if a boy is named Maria it is usually their middle name. One of the names where a German waits to see who comes is Uli (Ulrich/Ulrike), which is popular for both boys and girls.

Tremonia

Queen Lydia's bitch
Donor
Jun 14, 2020
My bad. I was in my thinking by a girls name. You're right. A boy named Nika isn't usual here. But I still don't get why it should be a more german name. MC isn't a german.

BeingADikDik

Apr 17, 2021
So are we saying that the MC was actually the transgender character that Ocean has decided to make CIS because people would spot the FUTA in the code before the in-game reveal?
I thought this was obvious. You didn't spot the velcro used to attach his ornamental dick when Amber was inspecting the damage from Bella's knee to the groin?

Last edited:

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
My bad. I was in my thinking by a girls name. You're right. A boy named Nika isn't usual here. But I still don't get why it should be a more german name. MC isn't a german.
That is because it is obvious in both games that the city of Wollust was settled mainly by families from Central-, Northern- and Eastern Europe. Names like Frohm, Steiner, Holgerson, Petrova, von Halen make it quite obvious and e.g. Viktoria lives in the Würmchen Street, hardly the most American street name ever. Even the Zane family name might be derived, it was a popular choice for hyphenation during the world wars for the name Zahn.

Reactions: Tremonia

Uriel ☁

Nov 28, 2017
That is because it is obvious in both games that the city of Wollust was settled mainly by families from Central-, Northern- and Eastern Europe. Names like Frohm, Steiner, Holgerson, Petrova, von Halen make it quite obvious and e.g. Viktoria lives in the Würmchen Street, hardly the most American street name ever. Even the Zane family name might be derived, it was a popular choice for hyphenation during the world wars for the name Zahn.
Has it ever been stated in the games that they're set in the USA? Honest question cause I don't remember it.
The scene where the class goes for a beer in the local pub wouldn't makes sense in the USA since alcohol is 21+ there.

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
Has it ever been stated in the games that they're set in the USA? Honest question cause I don't remember it.
The scene where the class goes for a beer in the local pub wouldn't makes sense in the USA since alcohol is 21+ there.
It is very heavily implied to be playing in the US. Esp. the school sport stuff is very different from how it would be handled in e.g. Germany. Even Sportgymnasien (Sport grammar schools) do not have their own major teams, the pupils will go to local or even regional sport clubs.
As for the beer at the pub, that is European style, correct. In Germany for instance you can get Beer and wine at age 14, if accompanied by a grown up or at 16 on your own. Hard liquor is at age 18. But these are younger, tougher regulations. I remember the time when I was a young boy, back then you got a beer if you were able to look over the bar without standing on a chair.

Reactions: Ilhares

VicLex22

Oct 31, 2022
-Bella's car has American plates
-in the navigator of Amber's car, the American names of streets and highways
-at the bus stop on the scoreboard the temperature is indicated in Fahrenheit
-only in American colleges basketball is so popular
- etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: Vittelalpine

Deleted member 327695

Game Developer
Dec 11, 2017
You're right, bro
it was in the old WIAB
View attachment 2260751
Forget the old WiAB.
Nothing in there has any relevance for the future.

The games now play in a fictional world. (No US or Europe). I want to be able to make my own rules, but I adopted traits of the US and Europe.

Wollust is also not a bibi city anymore, and during the WiAB time period, it features almost a pop of a million.

Udayana

Oct 19, 2021
As I wrote in an earlier post, Nika for a boy is very rare in Germany. You hear far more often Niko/Nick/Niklas instead of Nika when it comes to boys names. Nika is almost always a nickname for a girl in Germany, the male version exists, but is rarely used.
As opposed to what wrote the person to whom you replied, the origin of that name is not quite clear. It should be of Greek origin, but why Nika, from the Doric form Νίκα? One would expect Niki, the (modern and also fairly ancient) pronunciation of the Attic form Νίκη. I think Ocean has to enlighten us :)
Even gender neutral names often are used differently in various nations. For instance in Germany when you hear the name "Sascha" you expect a male and with "Nikita" a female (their male/female forms are used too, but only rarely), there are nations were this is inverted. Or in Italy "Andrea" is a male name, whereas in Germany "Andrea" is a female name. "Andreas" is the male version.
In Romance languages (except French) a word ending in -a most often implies feminine gender, but not in Russian. Sasha stands for Aleksandra as well as for Aleksandr. But it seems that Nika is unknown in Russian, Nikita, Niko, Kolya... are used, but not Nika. So we again need Ocean's help.

4.30 star(s) 502 Votes