Yvier the Duck

Dec 25, 2020
She does smile a lot and has that positive attitude, but i think that's just a coping mechanism.
Still it's pretty weird she is that happy about everything that happened to her
Is a coping mechanism, 100% sure. She may have been a happy and optimistic girl before, but after the accident and with the real posibility of been in a wheelchair the rest of her life? No fucking way. In the future maybe, just after the run over no, she needs time to process the situation, and I'm talking about months and a lot of psychological help. And Maja too, the accident doesn't destroyed one life, destroyed three: Maja's independence, Victoria's legs and future and of course, Marla, because accident or not she's the culprit.

DirtyMario

Jumping bitches since '85
Donor
Jul 19, 2017
Is a coping mechanism, 100% sure. She may have been a happy and optimistic girl before, but after the accident and with the real posibility of been in a wheelchair the rest of her life? No fucking way. In the future maybe, just after the run over no, she needs time to process the situation, and I'm talking about months and a lot of psychological help.
Definitely. And there's no hint of that yet. I actively tried to avoid interactions with her because the whole cheery persona seems so fake at this moment. I hope the next update will manage to make her more relatable.

And Maja too, the accident doesn't destroyed one life, destroyed three: Maja's independence, Victoria's legs and future and of course, Marla, because accident or not she's the culprit.
I'm curious to find out the reason for Maja even existing. I wonder what her role is in this story. I mean in my opinion she's one of the hottest LIs in the game but I can't figure out her purpose yet, other than "another hot blonde for the list".

Also, the thing about feeling guilty about a traffic accident. Totally true. Sounds pathetic but on my very first drive after getting my license I ran over a squirrel on the street. I wasn't aware that you could feel bones breaking and cartilage crunching through a whole car before that. That was like 15 years ago and I still feel guilty about it. :FacePalm:

Cabin Fever

Engaged Member
Nov 23, 2018
Is a coping mechanism, 100% sure.
I know people like that IRL. They are in total denial, all cheery in a bad situation, until time has run out, and they must face the ugly reality, at which point they completely fall apart.

Exactly like Vici in the game, when it was time for her to start the actual rehab work. Only IRL it can be even more dramatic.

Kassandara

Aug 24, 2022
She does smile a lot and has that positive attitude, but i think that's just a coping mechanism.
Still it's pretty weird she is that happy about everything that happened to her
I might look too much into it but there could be a serious mental disorder behind that.

I've seen it first hand; some traumatic event etc. happens but you refuse to deal with it and keep going like nothing happened.
Obviously Victoria can't go on exactly like nothing happened, (I mean she is in a damn wheelchair) but she might not be dealing with that fact mentally.
Again, I might just be looking too deep into it. :rolleyes:

Reactions: DirtyMario

DirtyMario

Donor
Jul 19, 2017
I might look too much into it but there could be a serious mental disorder behind that.

I've seen it first hand; some traumatic event etc. happens but you refuse to deal with it and keep going like nothing happened.
Obviously Victoria can't go on exactly like nothing happened, (I mean she is in a damn wheelchair) but she might not be dealing with that fact mentally.
Again, I might just be looking too deep into it. :rolleyes:
I don't know Oceans writing style well enough yet to judge if he would do something like that. But it would certainly be interesting if he actually had the balls to. Would also invalidate any doubt I have about her character. We'll find out in the next update I guess.

Someone has to move Victoria around if you don't want her to get Hulk hands
Quoting this just because I love the "hulk hands" part. That would be a perfect point in time to start learning to resculpt models.

Absolutely OK with you... but I need to see/know what happen next and not rework each episode 3 times before getting the next one
Yea, just about the only point of critique I can muster on this game. This damn wait and him being so distracted that he needs multiple side gigs at all times.

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
So, we've still got a few girls to have their time to shine. Removing everyone seen so far, we have these left:

Next chapter we'll see:
Victoria
Maja

After that, these fine ladies still need some screen time. These we know roughly what's coming:
Nia (Saturday visit, most likely with the cheeto)
Marla (visit Amber with her)
Ayua (future sparring scene)
Sasha (Yoga class)

And these we don't:
Sonya
Nadia

What's everyone looking forward to? Personally looking forward to seeing what Ocean does with Nia. She's quite a feisty one but I reckon once you get past her first impressions she'll probably be quite sweet.
It would be an interesting story arc, if Ayua during the sparring session would mention something like this: "Well, having now seen you more up close, I have to say you and Nami have some real resemblance to my siblings xx and xy. Actually my cousins, but since we all live at the same place, we grew up together like siblings.
When I mentioned having met you and how similar you look to xx and xy, my parents and Aunt Leia said, they would like to see for themselves some day. Want to come over next weekend or so? Maybe Bella might come as well?" Or something of that kind (English is not my mothertongue, so it can be more elegant than this off the cuff arc entrance)
It could be the start of a story yrc like the MC and Nami´s family got into the crossfire not because they had anything to do with it, but the kids had some resemblance to the kids of Willi and Leia.

Uriel ☁

Nov 28, 2017
Not the biggest fan of Victoria and her being that cheery smiley always happy character is the main reason. She's in a wheelchair recently because she simply just wasn't paying attention to traffic and for most people that would be a depression trigger right there. I swear if Ocean gives us some "I'm just such a positive person in general tee hee" justification she's gonna sink even lower on my LI ranking. I need a freaking miserable tear-jerking "hiding my pain" story or I'm gonna riot.
I think it's crystal clear that she's gonna start walking again at some point but before then she needs a proper character arc.
Victoria's role is to be the exact opposite of the mc.

He spends his whole life brooding and being depressed, yet he has everything. A loving family, decent money, a sport career.
Victoria compared to him has nothing, only Maja, but she goes around smiling and being cheerful.

Imo Victoria will play an important part in mc's recovery, but I fear the catalyst may be when she'll inevitably break down and it'll be up to the mc to restore her.

Last edited:

Tairnel

Apr 25, 2020
yet he has everything. A loving family, decent money, a sport career.
Huh? both his parents died when he was a kid, and he would've been orphaned if not for Nojiko taking him in. She's the sole provider for the family and money is pretty tight: even before the therapy they weren't exactly well off. He has to get a sports scholarship thing just to pay the bills.
Even if you leave aside the Summer thing, he didn't exactly have a normal childhood because of his... let's say emotional disability.

Victoria's role is to be the exact opposite of the mc.

Imo Victoria will play an important part in mc's recovery, but I fear the catalyst may be when she'll inevitably break down and it'll be up to the mc to restore her.
Still, I guess I can see that.

Last edited:

DirtyMario

Donor
Jul 19, 2017
Oh okay, Is there an ETA for chapter 2 to be finished?
It's set to release with the 4.5 update. That's coming after the WIAB rework. We don't have a set ETA for any of these unfortunately.
My advice would be to make a save at the start of Ch. 2 and play through the old version. It's not all that long. After the rework you can replay it in a prettier version.

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
Huh? both his parents died when he was a kid, and he would've been orphaned if not for Nojiko taking him in. She's the sole provider for the family and money is pretty tight: even before the therapy they weren't exactly well off. He has to get a sports scholarship thing just to pay the bills.
Depending on what and how much of the story from "Where it all began" is canon background in "Summer´s gone", that their parents are dead could just be that, a cover story they told the MC and Nami. The crime story element is larger in "WIAB",
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

anonnyscouse

Jul 25, 2020
Depending on what and how much of the story from "Where it all began" is canon background in "Summer´s gone", that their parents are dead could just be that, a cover story they told the MC and Nami. The crime story element is larger in "WIAB",
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Even if that was the case it still means MC doesn't have a "loving family" in the usual sense.

Old Man Al

Jan 18, 2022
Is the other game of oceanlab "Where it all began" a prequel for this one? I mean is it necessary to play WITB to understand the story and characters of this game?
And also that if older version 0.6 of WITB a complete game or just abondoned in hlaf to be re-worked later?
And if i understand correctly then storyline will also be changed in reworked version?
It is set in the same universe and plays some time (my guess would be something like 20/30 years) before SG. There will certainly be references, but I think you COULD play SG alone and still enjoy yourself (I highly recommend both games).
The 0.6 was not a complete game. As far as I remember it wasn't even that "far in", at least it felt as if it had just began "to open up".

I don't think the whole storyline will be changed. Just some nuances. Like the girlfriend of the MC was super annoying in the old version, now (as with 0.1) she's WAY better.

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
Is the other game of oceanlab "Where it all began" a prequel for this one? I mean is it necessary to play WITB to understand the story and characters of this game?
And also that if older version 0.6 of WITB a complete game or just abondoned in hlaf to be re-worked later?
And if i understand correctly then storyline will also be changed in reworked version?
Hi! As Old Man Al said in his post, WIAB is the "foreplay" ;) game to SG. You can have great fun playing just Summer´s gone without playing "Where is all began", but as he recommended I do recommend playing "WIAB" as well.
The old WIAB 0.6 was not complete, in fact it just started to get really going, but it was fun to play. I too do not think the story of WIAB will be changed much, just parts and some finetuning. WIAB will have some impact, especially on the background story, but I am sure you can play SG having a great experience without knowing WIAB.

Last edited:

Vixen ♀

Dec 23, 2021
I just happened to finish the game, overall the story was on point and had potential remark to writer's visionary but I was bit disappointed or rather skeptical from mid chapter 3 where so many things at once is just plain wrong but has slightly changed better more or less in chapter 4.

There also happens to be some renders mistakes but some of you already know it which I will not mention cause it's heavy subjectively and biased.
Story - 4/5
Soundtrack (first game I've played with sound on btw!) - 5/5
Gameplay (Renpy) - 3/5
Renders - 3/5*
Characters - 4/5
--
Overall 4/5 (Good)

Now, I'm going to share something of a list, but before that bear with me I'd like to remind everyone here at stake and reiterate once more that characters developed in this game pose absolute no discrimination and therefore should be noted treated equality as such, so don't criticize to each other too harsh over the boundaries if you happen to have someone favorite or preferred ones over the list and there is no need to reason with me no matter the expectation. Thank you for understanding in this realm of VN :)

*https://f95zone.to/threads/summers-gone-ch-4-full-oceanlab.29981/post-9097007

Last edited:
4.30 star(s) 506 Votes