Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
I didn't notice the mention of the von Halen family in WIAB. Can you tell where it was?
I think it was back in old WIAB, I remember thinking "oh, noble family in a rural small city" ("von" is a type of Adelsprädikat, meaning nobilty marker) a bit like the setting from "Der Stechlin" from Fontane, when I red the name first.

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
I think that Oсean just used the same model DAZ for Katya and Bella, it also seems to me that the same model DAZ was also used for Nadia SG and Katarina WIAB
For Bella and Kati you might be right, since the time between the two games is around/a bit over 20 years, so Kati would have to be Bella´s mom to fit it in. But Nadja is clearly meant to be Katarina´s kid by looks and personality, see her competitivness on the field.

VicLex22

Oct 31, 2022
For Bella and Kati you might be right, since the time between the two games is around/a bit over 20 years, so Kati would have to be Bella´s mom to fit it in. But Nadja is clearly meant to be Katarina´s kid by looks and personality, see her competitivness on the field.
I didn't mean the story, but the purchased models DAZ 3D that Ocean used for these girls

Razrback16

Jul 20, 2020
Let's add there
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Ya some of that is his jargon and quite honestly as much as I like Ocean, he should jettison those terms immediately for in-game-dialogue. Since I'm on his Discord when I see those terms (which he uses, himself, on Discord) and so when a character uses those terms in-game, it kinda breaks the immersion of things as it feels like dev talking instead of the character who is supposed to be talking.

None as yet. Though I expect to see a young Amber appear even if only a cameo.
Ya I am keeping an eye out for Amber in WIAB. Curious to see if we get a clue as to who she married so I know who my competition is in SG, lol. :ROFLMAO:

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
Ya some of that is his jargon and quite honestly as much as I like Ocean, he should jettison those terms immediately for in-game-dialogue. Since I'm on his Discord when I see those terms (which he uses, himself, on Discord) and so when a character uses those terms in-game, it kinda breaks the immersion of things as it feels like dev talking instead of the character who is supposed to be talking.
Well, not all of Ocean´s slang is just "his" slang. Terms like bibi, bubu or Würmchen/wormy (which is a direct translation of Würmchen =diminutive of worm, small/little worm, can be, but must not pejorative) are rather common slang in German. I directly knew what he meant with it and it does not break the immersion.

Razrback16

Jul 20, 2020
Well, not all of Ocean´s slang is just "his" slang. Terms like bibi, bubu or Würmchen/wormy (which is a direct translation of Würmchen =diminutive of worm, small/little worm, can be, but must not pejorative) are rather common slang in German. I directly knew what he meant with it and it does not break the immersion.
That's great that you're fine with it, but not every player is going to be familiar with "common slang in German", so not everyone is going to agree with you.

anonnyscouse

Jul 25, 2020
That's great that you're fine with it, but not every player is going to be familiar with "common slang in German", so not everyone is going to agree with you.
Just like not everyone in non-anglophone countries are familiar with American/British/Australian slang. If people can still play them without understanding those slang terms and it "breaking their immersion" then there's no reason for Ocean to change his just because a few people have a problem with it.

Razrback16

Jul 20, 2020
Just like not everyone in non-anglophone countries are familiar with American/British/Australian slang. If people can still play them without understanding those slang terms and it "breaking their immersion" then there's no reason for Ocean to change his just because a few people have a problem with it.
Fair enough - it's not a deal breaker by any means (obviously we continue to play the games), but since Ocean is literally the only person (and German) I've seen use these words, it definitely is noticeable. And just for the record, I'm not advocating that western slang should be used, either. Just saying slang terms from one country are not going to be very recognizable for people from the other side of the planet and it just feels a little goofy when the dev is the only person I've ever (and I do mean EVER :)) seen use those terms and then you see female characters in the same dev's game using them...it's just weird.

Last edited:

jscott313

Aug 24, 2021
Fair enough - it's not a deal breaker by any means (obviously we continue to play the games), but since Ocean is literally the only person (and German) I've seen use these words, it definitely is noticeable. And just for the record, I'm not advocating that western slang should be used, either. Just saying slang terms from one country are not going to be very recognizable for people from the other side of the planet and it just feels a little goofy when the dev is the only person I've ever (and I do mean EVER :)) seen use those terms and then you see female characters in the same dev's game using them...it's just weird.
Agreed. I have never seen those words said before. Like you said, I'm not in favor of using American slang (where I'm at), either, but it's just kind of strange; I'm also on Discord and I do wish he wouldn't use "wormy" and "bibi" during dialogue in-game. But it's not something that makes the game unplayable, it's just an annoyance.

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
I'm also on Discord and I do wish he wouldn't use "wormy" and "bibi" during dialogue in-game. But it's not something that makes the game unplayable, it's just an annoyance.
I did an explanation about your erronous assumption, not an assessment! What lice did run over your liver today, chummer? That is so typical of native English speakers! Having no problem using English variants in games which even the boys and girls in Yorkshire would have problems to understand and expect non-natives speakers to understand this twaddle, but God beware if some developer is using some (even explained/translated) words from his own native tongue then it becomes an "annoyance".

but since Ocean is literally the only person (and German) I've seen use these words, it definitely is noticeable.
As I wrote before, that might be your experience, but as far as slang words go, Ocean´s are not really rare. Might be a regional dialect thing, so in some parts of Germany these words could be more seldom, but here where I live, you can go into the street and ask someone, most will know his slang words.

P.S: sorry if some parts come across as pretty harsh. Had today a "really nice" chat at work with some extremly obnoxious English-speakers. Even an American customer was rather embarassed with what they pulled off.

Last edited:
Reactions: rudy007

Razrback16

Jul 20, 2020
I did an explanation about your erronous assumption, not an assessment! What lice did run over your liver today, chummer? That is so typical of native English speakers! Having no problem using English variants in games which even the boys and girls in Yorkshire would have problems to understand and expect non-natives speakers to understand this twaddle, but God beware if some developer is using some (even explained/translated) words from his own native tongue then it becomes an "annoyance".

As I wrote before, that might be your experience, but as far as slang words go, Ocean´s are not really rare. Might be a regional dialect thing, so in some parts of Germany these words could be more seldom, but here where I live, you can go into the street and ask someone, most will know his slang words.
Aim your vitriol right back at yourself, bub. As I said, and I think the other guy said as well, I don't expect any western slang to replace German slang - my point is that slang is probably not a great thing to use in the dialogue from characters. That's it. If you disagree, that's fine. Not everyone is going to agree with you, or me.

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
Aim your vitriol right back at yourself, bub. As I said, and I think the other guy said as well, I don't expect any western slang to replace German slang - my point is that slang is probably not a great thing to use in the dialogue from characters. That's it. If you disagree, that's fine. Not everyone is going to agree with you, or me.
I look at it from a creators view. The use of slang by a character can be a useful and characterdefining tool, if done with only a couple characters in your story. But you are right on that is always in the eye of the beholder. I just simply wanted to explain that Ocean´s slang is not as rare as some persons might think.

4.30 star(s) 502 Votes