George Halstead

Oct 1, 2017
Wow, it is an awful thing on these forums that folks want to complain about how fast a Dev releases an update but then want to cry, moan, bitch etc when there are bugs etc. Folks need to relax, enjoy the games (that is what games are for) and move on. If you have pent up anger join a group or something and vent..

Ungawa

Apr 16, 2017
Partly just chilling, fixing bugs, and feeling the hype around the release at the same time. I'm going to be completely honest, this part of developpment is my least favorite one, where you're just endlessly fixing bugs after bugs (even though I initially coded with care to try to have as few bugs as possible), and at the same time, the community is putting pressure on you cause "muh update, muh milking".

I just hope that yall will like jenny as much as you loved roxxy, cause there has been a great deal of care put into her, and her story feels brand new.
Just keep this and you'll be fine.

Qoruto

Jan 27, 2018
See, the most important part of your post is when you said, "I think..." That tells us that everything g you said in the post is an opinion, and thus not based in fact. It's based upon what you would do in DC's position, which has no bearing on the actual situation.

No one but DC himself and the dev team truly know what goes on behind the scenes, what the update schedule should be and when the game will be finished. any and all speculation is therefore pointless.

But people will keep doing it, and and calling DC greedy and all, mostly because they themselves are impatient and greedy themselves.
No one is "impatient and greedy" just because they have different opinions. I respect your opinion, and I dont have to call you delusional and "internet white knight" to do so.

Ungawa

Apr 16, 2017
No, you said that the dips represent people that change up pledges because of voting on polls, and I'm telling you that the trend existed before polls.

The trend exists for other games as well that also have only free releases. You're getting really tiresome and I think you're being thick on purpose just to frustrate me.
You asked what the dips represented, @j4yj4m gave a response. There's a cycle to Patreon where people stop supporting on the first. The point is that even if you don't donate, you still get to play the game. You might not have access to other features such as voting but you don't really need it when there's other ways to communicate.

From the outside looking in, you asked a question, you got an answer, you moved the goalposts. Even with the historical argument, the point was valid. People stop pledges when they no longer feel the value is worth it. Whether that's for polls or not is their individual self interest. Not the point being made.

dirgetka

Aug 17, 2017
For the record, here's what actual declining Patreon numbers look like (from Nov to March):

Note that the cyclical monthly drop is still there, as it is with every Patreon regardless of release model

Jonboy80

Dec 8, 2017
And another example of what an actual decline of patrons looks like. This one doesn't have recovering numbers like the previous one. Still has that regular monthly dip that bounces back up but never recovers.

Jamiek

Jun 13, 2017
I just don't understand how people can keep defending this kind of stuff. DarkCookie is making $50K a month which is $600K a year. Minus what Patreon takes of course. That is a whole lot of money to only be able to put out one update every six months. To only be able to move 1% of the relative work in two weeks. One of the goals on his patreon was when he reached $30K he was going to look for other people. This is not an indie dev any more. You can't say that on $600K a year budget on a Renpy game. With the amount of money that has gone into the project, there should be updates on a monthly basis. And even that is generous, really should be every 2 weeks. It is all back to context, there are devs here that get things done much faster with little to no support.

Badjourasmix

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 22, 2017
So as i understand the game will not even come out on monday?
I think it will probably come out next weekend. I'll have to wait at least a year to get an update that I actually care about anyway, so I'm not very concerned about this one.

Badjourasmix

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 22, 2017
I just don't understand how people can keep defending this kind of stuff. DarkCookie is making $50K a month which is $600K a year. Minus what Patreon takes of course. That is a whole lot of money to only be able to put out one update every six months. To only be able to move 1% of the relative work in two weeks. One of the goals on his patreon was when he reached $30K he was going to look for other people. This is not an indie dev any more. You can't say that on $600K a year budget on a Renpy game. With the amount of money that has gone into the project, there should be updates on a monthly basis. And even that is generous, really should be every 2 weeks. It is all back to context, there are devs here that get things done much faster with little to no support.
Even if he got another artist he wouldn't be able to release an update every month. As long as he is the only one doing all the art, the updates will take 5-6 months.

Reactions: Jamiek

zeppelin

Aug 21, 2017
You asked what the dips represented, @j4yj4m gave a response. There's a cycle to Patreon where people stop supporting on the first. The point is that even if you don't donate, you still get to play the game. You might not have access to other features such as voting but you don't really need it when there's other ways to communicate.

From the outside looking in, you asked a question, you got an answer, you moved the goalposts. Even with the historical argument, the point was valid. People stop pledges when they no longer feel the value is worth it. Whether that's for polls or not is their individual self interest. Not the point being made.
I never said that patrons get the game earlier, nor is that at all relevant. That was my entire point.

Just cause everyone gets the update at the same time doesn't mean waiting until after the 1st to release the update is somehow illogical.

Reactions: BoykaBoykov

Jonboy80

Dec 8, 2017
I don't understand why you think the level of income should have an effect on the speed of development. And he is an indie dev. A team of four or five does not make you some bigshot development company. Ever notice how indie titles tends to be more fun and original? Ever wonder why? It's because they can work at their own pace to make things how they want without having to appease to the stockholders.

As to other devs here getting things done more quickly - Most of those devs are using stock or reused DAZ3D models and backgrounds. It's not that difficult to pose a premade model and slap them into a premade room. I've seen the same furniture/room/etc in almost every 3D Ren'py title. Several games have the same charcters with, maybe, a different hairstyle and some different clothes. Dark Cookie draws everything. Characters, backgrounds, inventory icons, etc. You're comparing apples to oranges. It's like me comparing the quarter mile results of a Porsche 911 and an El Camino.

Add on to that that most games that try to be different than the standard Ren'py 3D title are slow to update. SweGabe and Opala Origins hasn't had a public update in two years, for example. Many have been on hold for ages or outright abandoned. Doing your own work takes far longer than, basically, copy/pasting premade assets into a scene and then writing up some text (whose quality varies greatly) to go with it.

Reactions: Sync and MadByte

Jamiek

Jun 13, 2017
I don't understand why you think the level of income should have an effect on the speed of development. And he is an indie dev. A team of four or five does not make you some bigshot development company. Ever notice how indie titles tends to be more fun and original? Ever wonder why? It's because they can work at their own pace to make things how they want without having to appease to the stockholders.

As to other devs here getting things done more quickly - Most of those devs are using stock or reused DAZ3D models and backgrounds. It's not that difficult to pose a premade model and slap them into a premade room. I've seen the same furniture/room/etc in almost every 3D Ren'py title. Several games have the same charcters with, maybe, a different hairstyle and some different clothes. Dark Cookie draws everything. Characters, backgrounds, inventory icons, etc. You're comparing apples to oranges. It's like me comparing the quarter mile results of a Porsche 911 and an El Camino.

Add on to that that most games that try to be different than the standard Ren'py 3D title are slow to update. SweGabe and Opala Origins hasn't had a public update in two years, for example. Many have been on hold for ages or outright abandoned. Doing your own work takes far longer than, basically, copy/pasting premade assets into a scene and then writing up some text (whose quality varies greatly) to go with it.
The level of income should always impact the speed of development. Its literally the whole economy of gaming. The more money you have the bigger your team can be and the more products you can release to the market. When games face delays it usually comes down to the development team, circumstances with the direction/director or last minute publisher demands. As you mentioned that he is indie and has no one warping his vision to add microtranctions for example, then thats not a liable excuse. You cannot tell me that a developer who is making over half a million a year cannot bring in other people to work on Renpy code. This is not rendered in the Unreal engine with high end 3D graphis. It is simply an image based game. It should never take six months for an update when you have that level of income coming in. Renpy code is much easier. I know that he does his own art which is a step above a lot of the prerendered 3D art that is use by other developers. And in fact I would say that his game is one of the best one out there compared to the competition. However I always go back to $50K a month, $300K in 6 months is not enough to release an update? If that is the case it is time to bring some more people into the team. But I do see your points.

Bonhart

Dec 30, 2017
at this point I hope that the full version comes out, as far as I understand 2 out of 3 animations were made of the 0.18.5 version, after so long to let out only the 0.18 version I would see it as a jack for the ass

(Sorry my english)

Reactions: BoykaBoykov

Yatoy

Apr 26, 2017
i dont get it
why bother with this game?
the caracters are butt ugly LOL
Muppar(or WT will do it) is what we call these caracters for in sweden ;)

spend money on Taffy tales instead if you want to support a game with real sexy womans.
I preffer Silvya against taffy tales, but is a personal opinion, everyone with their needs jaja

4.20 star(s) 340 Votes