Stay Frosty

Jul 17, 2017
and why would i get mad about DC making that much money?
Wait. DC makes money? I never heard about that. And people outside this pirating forum actually like the game so much that they give it to him? And so many of them. Scandalous.
Damn! Why y'all come at me so hard!? Lmao :ROFLMAO: I'm just salty he makes so much money! Can't a guy get jealous???

Deleted member 690333

Jun 18, 2018
Does a *facepalm* qualify as a *like*? If so, I apologize.
This the same guy in urban demon's thread jerking off another guy while just throwing passive aggressive bullshit and hate, don't give him the time of day because clearly he doesn't deserve it with making a comparison like that and thinking that has any legitimacy with the retort at hand, also in the bones tales manor thread saying this is a better game... who does that??

Reactions: TomberryDude

TomberryDude

May 22, 2017
This the same guy in urban demon's thread jerking off another guy while just throwing passive aggressive bullshit and hate, don't give him the time of day because clearly he doesn't deserve it with making a comparison like that and thinking that has any legitimacy with the retort at hand, also in the bones tales manor thread saying this is a better game... who does that??
So, hypothetically and asking for a friend. Think it'd be hard to get a jerk off from them?

Hero1

"I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time."
Donor
Sep 20, 2017
[...] but faster updates results in more money.
How?
He is not hiding some future versions behind a paywall. So there is really no incentive for anyone to pay him except occasional voting and the odd wallpaper here and there. And maybe downloading the game up to 1 day before everybody else.
Everyone gets the same version almost at the same time, wether they pay 100$ or 1$. Or 0$.
So less time between updates has no real bearing on the amount his Patrons pledge.

Reactions: Sync and Meseeks

cimibibapa2

Dec 15, 2018
HairyLobster defender of Nergal's Pest & hater of free speech.

Stop following me dude, it becomes scary.

Monitoring every step that critics make like Communist China, Xi Jinping would be proud of you.

Reactions: Trapezio
Jul 16, 2018
From Dogeek's Reddit:

[DevLog] Summertime Saga Sundays #4

it's not really sunday, but I was busy this weekend, and therefore could not write an updated DevLog. Anyways, let's get to it.

0.19 tasking

As you might have noticed, the progress bar for 0.19 has taken a slight hit, because several tasks have been added, tasks which were forgottent back when DC did the tasking for this update. All of those tasks concern the character buttons, therefore it impacts code, posing and writing. It doesn't change the amount of work to be done though, as we would have done them anyways. It mostly serves as a way to more accurately display how far along in the update we are, and for us to track progress and various files more efficiently.
Reworks update

It's with greaet pleasure that I can say that all of the reworks planned for 0.19 are finally complete. So far, it includes :

The ATM rework

The background naming conventions rework (something that has not been discussed much, so I'll delve in deeper details about that in the next section)

• The FSMs reworks (moving FSMs instanciation at init time instead of loading time)
  • Location label names rework
  • Moving to the new navigation system
  • Erik on an FSM
  • New popups & computer rewrite

ATM rework

It's already been discussed at length in a previous DevLog, so I won't spend time explaining that. In short : the ATM allows you to input any amount of money into your savings account, as well as input any amount of money into debbie's account as it is going to be necessary for the 0.20 update. The ATM will also show an estimate for your next interests payment from the bank.
Background naming conventions rework

This deserves a bit of a write up. I've already mentionned in another DevLog that Ren'Py 7.3 introduced a new image manipulator : im.Blur(). This new image manipulator allows us to create blurs dynamically through code, which is obviously very interesting given the amount of blurred backgrounds in the codebase.

The consequence of using these dynamic blurs is that it's computationnaly expensive to do, and recalculating gaussian blurs all the time is terribly innefficient. To alleviate that issue, backgrounds are now defined at init time, including blurs, closeups etc.

Because of that, and because it's much better to have that definition done programmatically, it's necessary for some backgrounds to be renamed according to a strict convention so that the code can find them, define them and if necessary, blur them. It took me quite a while to do, because I had to find stray references to these backgrounds and rename them accordingly as well throughout the code.

A side effect from this change is that some backgrounds appear blurred when they should not because of clashes with previously defined backgrounds. All in all, it's a big mess that will get sorted out in time.
FSM reworks

FSMs have been moved to init time instead of load time, which means that the FSMs themselves are no longer saved when you save your game. Only the relevant data is saved in the fsm_data object. This should improve compatibility in the future, and avoid weird behaviours that could be caused by FSMs clashing with each other.

Incidently, it creates a clearer and cleaner flow of how FSMs are defined.
Location label names rework & new nav system

From back when I was hired at Kompas, there was a need for a clean and easy to implement nav system, but up until now, the code wasn't stable enough to do so. Location labels have been renamed to follow a strict convention now, which allows us to find and call these labels programmatically, automating the action of moving the player to another location.

Additionnally, the nav system has been reworked, to allow for a clean flow of locks and events for specific locations. It's all handled in a single label which defers to individual location labels to get the actual events and locks for that location, or its children. Small reminder that locations in summertime saga are organized along a tree data structure to simplify the flow of data from one location to the next, and allow for stuff like pathfinding, and several checks with minimal pain.
Erik on an FSM

Yeah, it happened, thanks to strayerror. He moved all of erik's stuff to an FSM, which made the whole event sytem finally deprecated. Finally, that horrible code is scrapped to pieces. Good riddance.

Not much to say about that, except that his quest has been somewhat simplified, or at least made clearer, with some extra bits of dialogue added to guide the player on his journey with his friend's landlady wink wink.
New popups & computer rewrite

In an effort to reduce the game size even more and alleviate as much workload as we can off of DC, we've decided to make popups through code, which will also allow them to be translated. All of that once again thanks to strayerror. He also completely rewrote the computers (jenny's and mc's) so that there shouldn't be anymore weird behaviours and bugs with them.
New features

This time around, only one new feature will be discussed in this DevLog : UI Messages.

We've decided to modernize the UI a little bit, and to draw the eye to it whenever there is a change. So fa, UI messaged will show a message when the player gains or spends money, or when he gains stats. In the future though, this may be expanded to a vibrating cellphone when a text message is received, or time ticking animation, or even items going in the backpack. Here's a gif of the virst version of that system.

Since that first version, I've improved it to be able to show up to 10 UI Messages at once, using a technique called "object pooling" which consists on having a set number of objects available, and just using the oldest one that has been updated, since renpy can't show the same screen several times at once, and building the UI message screen to display those messages wouldn't be practical.
Final thoughts

That's it for this DevLog guys, hope you enjoyed the update on 0.19 progress. This is definitely the largest update so far, whether it's about content (eve's story is about the same size as roxxy's), but even more about behind the scenes stuff, as you can probably tell. Definitely excited to get you this update as soon as possible so that you can try out the new features that it brings to summertime saga.

it's not really sunday, but I was busy this weekend, and therefore could not write an updated DevLog. Anyways, let's get to it.

0.19 tasking

As you might have noticed, the progress bar for 0.19 has taken a slight hit, because several tasks have been added, tasks which were forgottent back when DC did the tasking for this update. All of those tasks concern the character buttons, therefore it impacts code, posing and writing. It doesn't change the amount of work to be done though, as we would have done them anyways. It mostly serves as a way to more accurately display how far along in the update we are, and for us to track progress and various files more efficiently.
Reworks update

It's with greaet pleasure that I can say that all of the reworks planned for 0.19 are finally complete. So far, it includes :

The ATM rework

The background naming conventions rework (something that has not been discussed much, so I'll delve in deeper details about that in the next section)

The FSMs reworks (moving FSMs instanciation at init time instead of loading time)

Location label names rework

Moving to the new navigation system

Erik on an FSM

ATM rework

It's already been discussed at length in a previous DevLog, so I won't spend time explaining that. In short : the ATM allows you to input any amount of money into your savings account, as well as input any amount of money into debbie's account as it is going to be necessary for the 0.20 update. The ATM will also show an estimate for your next interests payment from the bank.
Background naming conventions rework

This deserves a bit of a write up. I've already mentionned in another DevLog that Ren'Py 7.3 introduced a new image manipulator : im.Blur(). This new image manipulator allows us to create blurs dynamically through code, which is obviously very interesting given the amount of blurred backgrounds in the codebase.

The consequence of using these dynamic blurs is that it's computationnaly expensive to do, and recalculating gaussian blurs all the time is terribly innefficient. To alleviate that issue, backgrounds are now defined at init time, including blurs, closeups etc.

Because of that, and because it's much better to have that definition done programmatically, it's necessary for some backgrounds to be renamed according to a strict convention so that the code can find them, define them and if necessary, blur them. It took me quite a while to do, because I had to find stray references to these backgrounds and rename them accordingly as well throughout the code.

A side effect from this change is that some backgrounds appear blurred when they should not because of clashes with previously defined backgrounds. All in all, it's a big mess that will get sorted out in time.
FSM reworks

FSMs have been moved to init time instead of load time, which means that the FSMs themselves are no longer saved when you save your game. Only the relevant data is saved in the fsm_data object. This should improve compatibility in the future, and avoid weird behaviours that could be caused by FSMs clashing with each other.

Incidently, it creates a clearer and cleaner flow of how FSMs are defined.
Location label names rework & new nav system

From back when I was hired at Kompas, there was a need for a clean and easy to implement nav system, but up until now, the code wasn't stable enough to do so. Location labels have been renamed to follow a strict convention now, which allows us to find and call these labels programmatically, automating the action of moving the player to another location.

Additionnally, the nav system has been reworked, to allow for a clean flow of locks and events for specific locations. It's all handled in a single label which defers to individual location labels to get the actual events and locks for that location, or its children. Small reminder that locations in summertime saga are organized along a tree data structure to simplify the flow of data from one location to the next, and allow for stuff like pathfinding, and several checks with minimal pain.
Erik on an FSM

Yeah, it happened, thanks to strayerror. He moved all of erik's stuff to an FSM, which made the whole event sytem finally deprecated. Finally, that horrible code is scrapped to pieces. Good riddance.

Not much to say about that, except that his quest has been somewhat simplified, or at least made clearer, with some extra bits of dialogue added to guide the player on his journey with his friend's landlady wink wink.

In an effort to reduce the game size even more and alleviate as much workload as we can off of DC, we've decided to make popups through code, which will also allow them to be translated. All of that once again thanks to strayerror. He also completely rewrote the computers (jenny's and mc's) so that there shouldn't be anymore weird behaviours and bugs with them.
New features

This time around, only one new feature will be discussed in this DevLog : UI Messages.

We've decided to modernize the UI a little bit, and to draw the eye to it whenever there is a change. So fa, UI messaged will show a message when the player gains or spends money, or when he gains stats. In the future though, this may be expanded to a vibrating cellphone when a text message is received, or time ticking animation, or even items going in the backpack. Here's a gif of the virst version of that system.

Since that first version, I've improved it to be able to show up to 10 UI Messages at once, using a technique called "object pooling" which consists on having a set number of objects available, and just using the oldest one that has been updated, since renpy can't show the same screen several times at once, and building the UI message screen to display those messages wouldn't be practical.
Final thoughts

That's it for this DevLog guys, hope you enjoyed the update on 0.19 progress. This is definitely the largest update so far, whether it's about content (eve's story is about the same size as roxxy's), but even more about behind the scenes stuff, as you can probably tell. Definitely excited to get you this update as soon as possible so that you can try out the new features that it brings to summertime saga.

cimibibapa2

Dec 15, 2018
How?
He is not hiding some future versions behind a paywall. So there is really no incentive for anyone to pay him except occasional voting and the odd wallpaper here and there. And maybe downloading the game up to 1 day before everybody else.
Everyone gets the same version almost at the same time, wether they pay 100$ or 1$. Or 0$.
So less time between updates has no real bearing on the amount his Patrons pledge.

Doesn't his per month $ grow after he releases updates ?

For example when he released 0.18 his income grow from 50k to 54k.

Frequent updates = more popularity in less time.

Hero1

"I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time."
Donor
Sep 20, 2017
Doesn't his per month $ grow after he releases updates ?

For example when he released 0.18 his income grow from 50k to 54k.

Frequent updates = more popularity in less time.
You are right that with every relevant release the pledged amount rose, sometimes even dramatically:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
But the amount of time between updates doesn't seem to influence that fact in a negative way. Considering the high jumps between 0.15, 0.16 and 0.17, the long wait seems to be better. I'd like to wait for 0.19 before judging the rather small increases between 0.17.0 and the most recent 0.18.6 because I think people are rather tired of replaying existing content (even with the expansions to their stories). If there is no jump I'd conclude that he reached the maximum people are willing to give him.

Also, don't forget that DarkCookie asked his Patrons if they wanted quicker & smaller or slower & bigger updates, and they chose the later. Everybody will agree that they are the ones DarkCookie has to please.

I completely understand people that want monthly updates comparable in qualitiy and quantity with, for example, Roxxy's or the teacher's. But I also understand that's not possible with how things are. And I am fine with that.
Why? Because I want DarkCookie to continue to make a game that I would want to play. I have seen enough Patreon funded games where the makers burnt out and just stopped and we now have unfinished games that never reached their full potential. So if my 10$/month help him and his team to work in a way that suits them and keeps the quality on a level I am satisfied with, then that is fine. If I become dissatisfied with it, I'll stop paying. And probably still play the new version as soon as it comes out.

4.20 star(s) 340 Votes