secretsonny

Jan 1, 2019
That is, it now turns out that there are people capable of copying his drawing, but he refused them in order to ... what ... again a number of questions. Well, okay, except for this image there already was a lot of material in the streams that the light never saw, can you explain that too?
That picture is kinda bad if the goal was to copy his style. The lighting and shading are off and the anatomy is wonky (but to be fair early summertime saga art was wonky but that's because dc was rushing it out).
It seems more like fanart than anything else.

Reactions: Jonboy80

Jonboy80

Dec 8, 2017
That picture is kinda bad if the goal was to copy his style. The lighting and shading are off and the anatomy is wonky (but to be fair early summertime saga art was wonky but that's because dc was rushing it out).
It seems more like fanart than anything else.
Her face is also a bit of a giveaway that it's not DC made.

Deleted member 662393

Game Developer
Jun 5, 2018
That is, it now turns out that there are people capable of copying his drawing, but he refused them in order to ... what ... again a number of questions. Well, okay, except for this image there already was a lot of material in the streams that the light never saw, can you explain that too?
Of course there is people out there that are able to draw like him but that doesn't mean they wanna full time draw pictures for this game, talented artists usually have no issues making enough money with their own art so why would they wanna work on a game like this. Instead of complaining here you could go find a artist who is willing to do it and send him dcs contact data so he can try and make a deal with him but you act like its so easy to find someone who actually wants to do it lol

Dogeek

Summertime Saga
Game Developer
Apr 20, 2018
9. A stable team does not have an exact release date for versions because ... fucking, why?
You see the shit we get without a set release date. Now imagine how it would be if we were even one day late for the announced date. We're not giving release dates for that sole purpose, sometimes, we find critical bugs at the very last minute, or there are some unforeseen delays, like the patreon hit, or delays in the animation which delay the update as a whole. Not risking a huge backlash because of circumstances we can't really avoid.

Btw if anyone can tell me why pledging to his patreon advertise at every tiers "Early access releases" as an advantage since everyone got the releases at the same time and for free ?
Patreons do get the game a bit earlier than non patreons, even if it is just a couple of hours, it's still an early release, plus you get the fast download servers, which would also qualify as such.

And the bugs keep increasing.
Will we break the 200?
Believe it or not, Diane's update actually had close to 210 bugs. We just didn't have the updated tracker at the time. It's not uncommon to have that many bugs, but as far as major bugs are concerned, most of them are bugs that don't hinder gameplay. Missing backgrounds, posing errors, small inconsistencies. Out of the 179 bugs reported only 30 were actually problematic.

Naw, the next update is probably long since finished, they are just artificially delaying it until the next patreon payment cycle, aka May 1st. Once he gets his 50 grand he will give his patreons the next update.
The update is indeed "finished", but we're not delaying it on purpose. We're just in the midst of testing and bug fixing, to try to provide a bug free experience to everyone. Sure, some bugs seep through, but imagine if those 150 fixed issues were still in the game. You'd hate that and complain that we don't test our game before releasing.

This looks nothing like DC's artwork. The shading is completely different, and so is the brushwork. It's a cool artwork though.

Of course there is people out there that are able to draw like him but that doesn't mean they wanna full time draw pictures for this game, talented artists usually have no issues making enough money with their own art so why would they wanna work on a game like this. Instead of complaining here you could go find a artist who is willing to do it and send him dcs contact data so he can try and make a deal with him but you act like its so easy to find someone who actually wants to do it lol
This. Also, there is the issue of speed and independance. As I said numerous times before, copying one's art style is only one of the requirements for a position. You also need to be able to work fast, efficiently, and without guidance from DC. Managing another artist would take time from DC, time he could use to draw stuff, and let's be honest, DC's art is probably going to be better and faster than the hired artist. Ultimately, it's DC's decision.

Ungawa

Apr 16, 2017
It is good that you are reading the forum.
As mentioned earlier, you really need a manager, I don’t know a single job where an artist, installer, mechanic and others can work without a manager, especially when it comes to something cumbersome.
Errors and their removal, I do not see any problems at all, even the largest companies and high-profile games always have a lot of problems after the release, but they do not freeze the counter, on the contrary, they release patches with corrections,
I do not advertise myself and do not rush to the managers.
However, you already forgive me for being rude, before this game
was more stable, now it comes out very slowly.
I understand that the game has become more voluminous, but the reason for this is the many unfinished locations and characters who have been waiting for their turn for a very long time, which for some reason does not reach them from the very first versions.

That's DC. His company, his rules, his management.

CrispJr

Aug 7, 2016
You see the shit we get without a set release date. Now imagine how it would be if we were even one day late for the announced date. We're not giving release dates for that sole purpose, sometimes, we find critical bugs at the very last minute, or there are some unforeseen delays, like the patreon hit, or delays in the animation which delay the update as a whole. Not risking a huge backlash because of circumstances we can't really avoid.

Patreons do get the game a bit earlier than non patreons, even if it is just a couple of hours, it's still an early release, plus you get the fast download servers, which would also qualify as such.

Believe it or not, Diane's update actually had close to 210 bugs. We just didn't have the updated tracker at the time. It's not uncommon to have that many bugs, but as far as major bugs are concerned, most of them are bugs that don't hinder gameplay. Missing backgrounds, posing errors, small inconsistencies. Out of the 179 bugs reported only 30 were actually problematic.

The update is indeed "finished", but we're not delaying it on purpose. We're just in the midst of testing and bug fixing, to try to provide a bug free experience to everyone. Sure, some bugs seep through, but imagine if those 150 fixed issues were still in the game. You'd hate that and complain that we don't test our game before releasing.

This looks nothing like DC's artwork. The shading is completely different, and so is the brushwork. It's a cool artwork though.

This. Also, there is the issue of speed and independance. As I said numerous times before, copying one's art style is only one of the requirements for a position. You also need to be able to work fast, efficiently, and without guidance from DC. Managing another artist would take time from DC, time he could use to draw stuff, and let's be honest, DC's art is probably going to be better and faster than the hired artist. Ultimately, it's DC's decision.
Hey, thanks for coming here and replying and clearing up all the things people are speculating/angry about. Not sarcasm.

Though, I bet 10 pages ahead this will be completely lost.

LonDonJohnSon

Feb 14, 2019
I feel a great guilt for ever commenting on this discussion because W-O-W what a shitshow. I have learned my lesson. I don't hate Summertime Saga enough to get on that side of the pileup, and I don't love it enough to defend it like my wife's honor or my virginity. It's one of the better games of its type. I'm glad there's people passionate enough to talk about it but....Good god, the circlejerk is unlike anything I've ever seen before.

Ungawa

Apr 16, 2017
I feel a great guilt for ever commenting on this discussion because W-O-W what a shitshow. I have learned my lesson. I don't hate Summertime Saga enough to get on that side of the pileup, and I don't love it enough to defend it like my wife's honor or my virginity. It's one of the better games of its type. I'm glad there's people passionate enough to talk about it but....Good god, the circlejerk is unlike anything I've ever seen before.
If you think this is bad, you never went to a Bioware forum.

Reactions: TurtleKing9000

Ungawa

Apr 16, 2017
Is it me or this thread always devolves into the exact same shit every couple of months?
Just like Patreon, this place gets the exact same cycle...

Blue balled mofos come in, argue the same shit on a different day, some in the community start talking, then a release happens, every blows their load, and after they clean up they go right back to blue balling themselves for the next release...

henry hopkin

Jan 20, 2018
Not until he finds another artist who'll fit his liking. One has to keep in mind that there hasn't been a new development goal after 25k. That's the amount of money he actually asked for. So right now I'd say it doesn't really matter for the overall development speed wether he makes 30, 50 or 60k. Sure, he could hire more coders and a third animator but that woudn't really change much.
I also don't think money has anything to do with it, however, I disagree that it's because he needs another artist. I think he just needs a person to better organize the whole project. The team doing DMD and Melody is doing 2 games at once with a fixed schedule, and the product is still very high quality stuff. That's what great organization can do for a project. That's why no matter what you look at, whether it's in business or event in hospitals there's always a position of team manager to help guide everyone in the right direction.

Reactions: BoykaBoykov

doshirak228

Jan 19, 2019
Good thing is the house won't get demolished like in Diane's update, so the same locations and positions can still come back for this one.
Does anyone know why they demolished her house? They could release an update faster if they didn't draw a new house. It made no sense

Niccodem

Nov 18, 2017
Here is a screen from the stream when it has not yet been banned on YouTube, made 05.05.2018. I do not have access to all of his streams, but if you find all of his records, you will see a lot of what is drawn, which never appeared in the game.
View attachment 291665
I must admit that I really like the way her body was drawn. It doesn't fit genuine game style but I really wouldn't mind seeing her in the game.

Reactions: BoykaBoykov
Jul 28, 2017
Does anyone know why they demolished her house? They could release an update faster if they didn't draw a new house. It made no sense
Most of this update has be remaking little to completely unused characters. that at this stage have 0 impact on the game and can be "redone" when they're needed to be redone. People will say "re rigging" but thats good for when they have multiple actions or talking......of which most have none (at this stage). I suppose it needed to be done at some stage, just seems that this update has been, rework intensive.

Agreed though, complete waste of time, unless of course the artist wants to waste said time. you have no idea the nerd rage when the Jenny update comes out and people prefer old Jenny, or the old Jenny look, or the old Jenny story, or the fact she had a desktop PC as opposed to a laptop.......etc.

Automata

Apr 10, 2017
I get what you mean, but from my own experience, animating and positioning 3D models is easier than with hand-drawn art like in summertime saga
Your experience shows your lack of nuance and experience with the medium. Even good positioning takes practice. It's the same as in drawing, there are good and bad poses, dynamic and non-dyamic poses.

Good 3D artists are a photographer and to that end you need good camera angles and good lighting. Either chosen poorly can ruin an image. There is only so much fixing you can do in GIMP or Photoshop.

Also, proper animating is not and never will be easier than flat stylized hand-drawn art. Granted there are now tools to help, however, the good ones are not gonna seen in DAZ's default package.

Instead proper animating in 3D or even proper 3D photography/rendering is akin to a more in-depth 2D artistic rendering styles. This is specially true for 3D artists that make and/or rig their own models, make their own morphs or those that make set pieces/clothes themselves in programs like Blender. Hell, making your own diffuse, spec or normal map for a render can be time consuming.

I get it, you don't like stock or out of the box sets and images. However, you shouldn't be comparing that to what DC is doing. It's as fair as me comparing a stick figure artist to ISIKOL.

Paprika

Aug 14, 2017
Last update was released Nov. 28, then 17.5 like a month later, but cookie says this new update took around 3 months, so it's fine, lol.
People still believe him...amazing! And he says the next update will be bigger, as preparing people for even longer updates, and I have no doubt he will do that, as long as people keep throwing money at him.

Damonalgren

Aug 30, 2017
well I said it before but people started to rage at me and I am saying this again now , that this dev is just milking I mean how many renders is he gonna draw ? at its best this update will have 600 new renders but how many days we passed since last update ? over 120 days so you just do the math , it means at its best he is illustrating 5 renders each day .

for a guy who has been working as art director in bioshock it seems pretty unbelievable . and people say that he is working +12 hours per day for this game and that makes it even more unrealistic .

well I mean he just doesn't want to finish the project , I can draw a line in 30 sec but I also can draw same line in 3min I don't think illustrating models that you are working over 3 years on them should take that much of time

bu hey it is what it is no matter what people are gonna support him at the end because they like this game and they gonna get sad if dev abandon this project...

4.10 star(s) 356 Votes