Superrando195

Aug 27, 2020
Part of being a patron of the arts or of an artist is to help provide living expenses for the artist(s), allowing them to not have to worry about making ends meet. It is not about purchasing a particular product, it is about being a patron.
Completely understand what you are saying but logically when someone is making just about 70k a month to release lackluster updates to a game I can understand why people would be perturbed by that.
Just as you say people should just stop supporting they also have the right to criticize developers as well, especially if they have already been a patron for multiple months.

I get that you want to defend the developer by basically saying "If you don't like it, leave" but some people may have already given a lot of money and expected a bit more.

Not going into whether having expectations is right or not but people have different views, just because you think one way does not mean other people have to as well.

Reactions: botc76 and V&M

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
English speakers have an idiom that goes "overstaying your welcome". I'm not 100% sure if it applies to what I'm about to ask, but here I go anyway: would you consider that Summertime Saga's developtment has overstayed its welcome?

I remember the earlier years of the game, the excitement and hype everytime a new patch was uploaded.
Then came months of pacing, waiting while numerous patches piled up until there was enough new content to justify starting all over.
And now... I don't feel any of that. My last playthrough was the Roxxy update, which I sincerely loved! That was roughly 2 years ago. But now... I don't feel like downloading any more v0.X.X patches.

Maybe I'm growing old and impatient (30 yo), but this game was THE game. Summertime Saga was the game that had me checking every week to see if it got a new update. But not anymore. Does anyone here share my feelings?
This is an indie game that's grown in scope and vision since its inception due to the funding made available. You have to think of each release as what it is: an insider alpha test with a very large pool of testers. Sure, functionally each update serves to keep people interested and funding the game, and that's clearly working. So many AAA or even indie prefunded titles grow in scope and have increased development cycles, but because we're not privy to that until we see a beta or final product, we don't know it happened. Of course, that's changing with all the Early Access releases nowadays that are sold as betas but some of which are indeed alphas, but this has always been sold as an alpha from the beginning. If people sign on not understanding the distinction, then that's on them for misunderstanding not due to false advertising on the developer's part.

I only play releases every 6-8 months now; that's fine for me, and you said you haven't played a full release in 2 years, which is fine as well. But development continues apace and from what I can see every update, and it's not like it's devolved into a scam situation. If the scope is annoying then there are many other games with smaller scope in a similar vein to bide the time until this one is completed or reaches a point where saves are fully forward compatible.

I respect your opinion, although I disagree with it,
I’m not saying you’re wrong, but that’s an opinion, in your case and that of some people, and I and others think differently,
In my view, donation is when nothing is expected in return,
kind to some charity, donate toys or clothes to the needy.
And when you donate to a breeder, we are expecting something in return,
this is called merchandise.
If someone here supports a developer but doesn’t expect an update from the developer, tell me, that is,
if someone here donates to a developer, but does not download their game,
then yes, it can be called a donation, but I don't think anyone does that.
You said you donate to a creator to create art, but he creates art for himself?
Or for people who "donated"?
This patreon business was just a name they created to not look like buying a product.
In short, if a developer doesn't deliver a game, nobody donates,
and if nobody donates, he doesn't deliver the game,
in short, this is called buying and selling a product.
I know that I will take some falcepalm, I already got used to these kind of people.
But as I said at the beginning, I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with it.
Some will agree with his or my opinion, it is part.
I just made a comment, not wanting to change your opinion, nor am I going to change mine.
And if possible, does anyone have a complete save game for this version?
No desire to play all of it, despite not knowing if it is big or not.
It's not an opinion that's literally Patreon's stated business model.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dragon59

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
Unfortunately, you have to complete Eve's route (worst character in the game - except that ugly latino maid, of course). Then enter the tattoo parlour in the afternoon (I don't remember if on saturday or not).

DC loves wasting time on these side crappy characters (the latino maid, the Korean dictator, the mayor's relatives and so on) - but his Worshippers HERE still say that he's NOT milking.
Funny, Eve's story was what endeared me to the game.

Are you a patron? If not, what's he milking you of? What's your stake in this discussion?

StantheMan69

Aug 10, 2017
StantheMan69, are you forgetting to factor in Patreon's cut and a little thing called Taxable Income?

Paranormal erection, in that case focus on compressed versions whenever possible.
No I know that patreon cuts and taxes are taken out. I just don't know the exact amount that goes to DC, therefore I put the info that I can see and do know. That being said, let say $40,000 is what goes to DC. That is still a lot more money per month than a lot of other devs are getting. Some of who deliver content that is longer and better every month. Then what DC is delivering in 6 months.

Reactions: Lucas Martinez

401Grem

May 14, 2017
No, I had this problem as well. Apparently something I did in 20.5 had to be undone for 20.6.
One problem I found is that after playing 20.5, I had a number of pregnancies pending. The notices each morning from the graveyard ended up crashing the game.
Yes, go into your phone and turn pregnancies to false.

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
I respect your opinion, although I disagree with it,
I’m not saying you’re wrong, but that’s an opinion, in your case and that of some people, and I and others think differently,
In my view, donation is when nothing is expected in return,
kind to some charity, donate toys or clothes to the needy.
And when you donate to a breeder, we are expecting something in return,
this is called merchandise.
If someone here supports a developer but doesn’t expect an update from the developer, tell me, that is,
if someone here donates to a developer, but does not download their game,
then yes, it can be called a donation, but I don't think anyone does that.
You said you donate to a creator to create art, but he creates art for himself?
Or for people who "donated"?
This patreon business was just a name they created to not look like buying a product.
In short, if a developer doesn't deliver a game, nobody donates,
and if nobody donates, he doesn't deliver the game,
in short, this is called buying and selling a product.
I know that I will take some falcepalm, I already got used to these kind of people.
But as I said at the beginning, I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with it.
Some will agree with his or my opinion, it is part.
I just made a comment, not wanting to change your opinion, nor am I going to change mine.
And if possible, does anyone have a complete save game for this version?
No desire to play all of it, despite not knowing if it is big or not.
Are you familiar with how patronage of the arts works? Patronage in the arts involves providing support to artists in order to give them the freedom to create works. As I understand it, Jack Conti first created Patreon in order to help support independent music artists. It's not a tit-for-tat arrangement. The National Endowment for the Arts in the US does not pay for individual works, it pays to allow artists to create. That's what patronage has meant for a long time, even though some patrons in history have expected to receive the works of art. There is no physical works that can be owned exclusively by a patron, so that can't apply here.
It's not an opinion that's literally Patreon's stated business model.
Well said.
Yeah, the game is free for people to play. That being said he is getting money from patreons to make the game. Let's not kid anyone the people that sign up for his patreon are supporting the making of the game. $69,000 worth of money each and every one month for working on the game. What I am trying to say is, I do not feel the amount of content that is released plus the length of time it take for the new content. Is anywhere close to a $69,000 a month price tag. It feels like a slap in the face. (This is my opinion, everyone is free to feel different.)

He may be a perfectionist but if all the updates are just him fixing his artwork and reworking part of the game he has already done. To me, his focus is on the wrong stuff then. It would make more scenes to work towards finishing the game. Afterward, go back and revise the art and tune up the story.

As for comparing him to other creators. Just cause he is the first to create something that doesn't make him immune to being compared to others. Especially if others deliver content that is superior to what he has been delivering.

I have stopped being a patreon a while back. Also, I know all of this is my own opinion if you or others feel that what DC is delivering enough to justify your $69,000 a month. All the more power to you and best wishes to all.
That was your right as a former patron. If you are not satisfied with an artist, pull your support. For instance, there are a few developers I've removed and others I've brought down to $1 because I no longer felt there were other artists more deserving of my patronage.

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
Hi Folks,

Version 1.00 of the is up with the proper nauthifications of the new Odette Halloween content.

Version 0.20.6-1.00:
  • Naughtification of Odette Halloween scene.
  • Added blinking and breating animations for new Odette Halloween content.
  • Fixed an issue with everyone blinking on dialog advance when parameter BLINKING has been changed.
And don't be freaked out by Odettes blinking Vampire eyes. That's intentional ;)

Enjoy!

Reactions: AngelAIGS and EJW

Joey's Conscience

Sep 28, 2020
DC earns that much because the patrons consider his work worthy of the money they put in, and people are free to spend their money however they like. If you are a Patron, and are dissatisfied with the content, pull your money out. Enough people doing that will send a message loud and clear. If you are not a patron, you are playing a pretty good game, that the dev put a lot of work into, absolutely free. So your complaint is that you aren't getting enough for what other people paid for? wow

Especially if others deliver content that is superior to what he has been delivering.
Are they though? SS is not some koikatsu game, all the art and animation is made from scratch. If you have other indie games with that level of quality, please let me know, I'm missing out on some gems.

monopz

Jul 31, 2017
I first played this game like 2 months ago, so I don't have the years-long frustration everyone else does but I get it I guess.
I've been playing a ton of games the last few months and I always feel like updates for ALL of them are lackluster. At least with Summertime Saga, the animations are good and the drawings are hot. Because of that, I feel like it's still good. To me, it's "THE" game.
The vast majority of games on here are getting under $1000 per month on Patreon. So most of them usually have to do this stuff in their spare time, you also are talking about spending 100-200 hours to create content that most people will complete in 2-3 hours at most if they take their time.

Just look at what it takes to make super long games, Cyberpunk 2077 had it's teaser trailer in early 2013 and the game is finally releasing in late 2020. That is a huge developer with a large budget, now imagine how much work one guy has to do to make these games. Summertime Saga is the exception here, they get a ton from Patreon and have a fairly decent sized staff. Despite that animating all this stuff, and doing all the coding takes far more time, and effort than how long it takes to experience the content.

Toolman6971

Aug 27, 2018
I've been a patreon of DC's for 3 years. In all that time I've never felt the need to complain about any of his work. He gets an update out when it's ready with minimal bugs. If he was putting out shitty updates and never fixing bugs I wouldve stopped my subscription. Maybe its my age, but I've never seen a need to complain about a good product. Thanx DC.

Rex72

Aug 5, 2018
As of now I have played up to the "date" with eve on the roof and I have seen many continuity errors in many situations. One example, I cut the grass but the seen with mom in the landry happend the next day not just after when it was suposed to. I get the inpresion that this happens alot more this update 20.6 than ever before, has some thing gone wrong with the program/game?

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
.... snippppppp

Especially if others deliver content that is superior to what he has been delivering.
As another dude asked above : show us some game(s) where everything is hand-drawn and animated that can outperform Summertime
I have stopped being a patreon a while back. Also, I know all of this is my own opinion if you or others feel that what DC is delivering enough to justify your $69,000 a month. All the more power to you and best wishes to all.
You sound like 1 dude is paying everything alone : let's do basic math > 69000$/~26000 patrons = roughly 2.65$ each. Most coffee places (used to) charge way more for flavored water. And that's once every day-ish for some people. While you pay 2.5$ a month to help DC make a game, yet slobbers around here call that a milking scam ......

Sypher1976

Oct 24, 2020
Been trying to progress past the Iwanka party scene to the guard. But, it never advances, even thou I have the required Charisma point. Been at it for 2 weeks, finally gave up. Game is bugged.

4.10 star(s) 359 Votes