srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
Using "label" and "jump" (more widely known as "goto" in most programing languages) statements to flow control is a very bad idea in general (with minor exceptions). If someone develops a simple novel there is no problem, but in case of open world games with many variables it is one of a the biggest bug-generator and this is visible in many games on this site. An obvious consequence of this is a longer production time and potential code refactor. There is a reason why there is a stigma to use this statements in commercial development.
You might want to learn about Ren'Py before making such bold statements. Ren'Py mainly consists of labels which are called (mind: called, not jumped at) but it is also encouraged to jump if need be.

Ren'Py also includes the full-blown Python engine, and be assured that they make use of it in this game a lot. This means: no labels and no gotos but a lot of object oriented programming.

And finally, I don't want to spoil your enthusiasm, but you might also want to read more about the goto discussion and how it is by far not decided and likely never will. Hint: "Goto considered harmful" considered harmful.

Reactions: j4yj4m

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
Hmmm, random duder coming out and claiming "stuff" vs chad god who's been modding the game for 3+ years. Tough choice who to follow and who's in the right. Dis gon b gud

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Mab's Thrall22

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
He was kinda serious about the new game way back when there were no reworks, no rig-system etc. and when he was still planning to finish the game within 1 to 2 years or so. But that was indeed long ago, though he still does talk about future projects from time to time. Then again, he also said that the next game certainly won't be using Renpy, so I'm not sure how helpful the experiences here will really be.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: PePeTheCoCk

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
Hmmm, random duder coming out and claiming "stuff" vs chad god who's been modding the game for 3+ years. Tough choice who to follow and who's in the right. Dis gon b gud
It's been almost 3 years, not 3+, to be fair (at least officially) ;)

And what is a chad and why am I the god of it?

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
You need to get out more if you question what is a chad
OK a short Google research leads me to believe that was meant as a compliment. Not so sure with you...

Not everybody is native english speaking, including me. And I would consider myself more the MC kind of guy, but with many more girlfriends of course ;)

LoneRider69

Aug 20, 2021
I can't seem to get the incest patches to work. Every time I start the game, it calls the mother the MC's father's friend.

Energetic

Jun 8, 2019
Lol, 2nd game isn't coming any time soon, nor is dev time going to it before Summertime is closer to being finished ...... Just because DC talked about and the site(s) list a potential "2nd game", there's been no mention of anything since it appeared as a "maybe" on Patreon ~5 years ago.

They already have trouble releasing stuff on a stable basis and you expect them to shift over to a completely new game at random and dump the 2-3 years worth of content they polled back in 2019 ?
Then it's still a guarantee they are already thinking about the story for the next title. Maybe the storyline (on paper) is already finished. Ofcourse all the real work still has to be done, but you have to draft out a main story line before you start the new game.

After the Tech update is completed things could go very rapidly all of the sudden.

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
Then it's still a guarantee they are already thinking about the story for the next title. Maybe the storyline (on paper) is already finished. Ofcourse all the real work still has to be done, but you have to draft out a main story line before you start the new game.

After the Tech update is completed things could go very rapidly all of the sudden.
Dunno wtf you're going to with wild suppositions and wetdreams. Why would they have planned a new game when they got 2+ years of polled content to deliver ? Why would DC take time away from his daily stream(s) to draft out a new game instead ? How on Jeebus' flat Earth do you expect 4 dudes who have trouble recoding 1 game within a year manage to start a new game in the same time ?

"After tech update, things could go very rapidly" : well yes, since they won't have to recode the entire game from the ground up and just make sure the R(o)nda stuff doesn't explode upon itself. Bigbrain IQ move there figuring out that won't take the better part of a year like the tech build did.

Maybe I'm missing something from all that or my analysis is spot on ....... A bit confusing

Reactions: jestertlw

jestertlw

Nov 23, 2019

So many people in these threads ...

TheRemover

Nov 30, 2017
[snip]
I've no idea whether what they are doing is technically speaking good or bad, but maybe someone else knows? Looks the internal changes are going to be significant at least...
Technical debt, the bane of every project. Basically they're sorting out a lot of technical debt (redoing stuff that was done poorly or done in a way that no longer fits the needs of the project and is causing issues) as well as essentially doing a significant graphical overhaul. Both parts are tedious as hell, and will take a long time. Good thing in principle, though on the other hand whether it's a good idea to put the team on doing the most tedious stuff imaginable for close to a year non-stop (which would appear to more or less be how long this is going to take) is debatable. Process flow looks sensible. Should mean further development is easier too since technical debt tends to slow down development as it accumulates.

McSlut

Aug 12, 2018
whatever project #2 was or is planned to be i still years and years away and DC changes his mind about things all the time so who knows if it will ever exist. still it's fun to speculate about it. could it be related to summertime saga or be some sort of sequel? will it still be based on the renpy engine or not? will it be another visual novel style adventure or change genres? will it even still be an adult game (the answer to that question is probably yes)?

in theory dc has the money to hire a new team that lays the groundwork for the second game in parallel to the development of summertime saga. he could even hire some other artists that would do his usual work for him while he would take more the position of a game director which would enable him to still work on summertime saga. all of these questions are very interesting but i can already feel Omnikuken getting pissed off while reading this, because this is a summertime saga thread and whatever the next thing will be is still 5 years away so let's get back to discussion of scamming, milking, not-mom's pregnancy and how much we all want to fuck rhonda and when the fucking tech update will finally be finished

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
whatever project #2 was or is planned to be i still years and years away and DC changes his mind about things all the time so who knows if it will ever exist. still it's fun to speculate about it. could it be related to summertime saga or be some sort of sequel? will it still be based on the renpy engine or not? will it be another visual novel style adventure or change genres? will it even still be an adult game (the answer to that question is probably yes)?
It's indeed interesting that he never really mentioned anything substancial I'd know of. Though he did say that it'll have nothing to do with SS and that he won't use Renpy. To me that's fine, SS will have gone more than long enough by then and everybody will be tired... it'll be great to have something new.

Edit: Though I have to say that I have really no idea what his next game could be about. With some guys you just know what they are interested in and what they'd like to work on but in his case I don't think he's got a clear preference out of personal interest.

he could even hire some other artists that would do his usual work for him while he would take more the position of a game director which would enable him to still work on summertime saga.
I think we can safely say that won't happen, given that this basically seems to have been his old actual job before he started working on SS game and given that it seems like he doesn't want to go back to that. To me it's pretty clear by now that he wants to draw his own games. If the perfect artists who doesn't need (m)any instructions/corrections/etc. comes around to help, he'll hire him, if not, then it'll be himself until the very end. I'd be happy if he'd find somebody but I totally don't expect it.

Then again, as said in my post above, back when he thought he'd finish SS quickly, he once talked about adding another patreon goal which would have included to hire somebody to do some groundwork with the new engine etc. but he never did it and instead focussed on SS.

Last edited:
Reactions: McSlut

yasenib

Mar 12, 2020
maybe they could slowly start project #2 with another smaller team with the lessons learned from STS :unsure:? I mean maybe they don't HAVE to finish STS to start another one specially since DC usually finishes all of his work before everyone else AFAIK

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
maybe they could slowly start project #2 with another smaller team with the lessons learned from STS :unsure:? I mean maybe they don't HAVE to finish STS to start another one specially since DC usually finishes all of his work before everyone else AFAIK
I think we can safely say that won't happen, given that this basically seems to have been his old actual job before he started working on SS game and given that it seems like he doesn't want to go back to that. To me it's pretty clear by now that he wants to draw his own games. If the perfect artists who doesn't need (m)any instructions/corrections/etc. comes around to help, he'll hire him, if not, then it'll be himself until the very end. I'd be happy if he'd find somebody but I totally don't expect it.
Bruh

Reactions: jestertlw

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
ask yourself how a shovel fits into MC's backpack.
I actually did that already, and i think better question would be how a goddamn bicycle fits in there.
But oh well, let's just say it's a magic bag, like one of those 'bottomless bags' from fantasy rpg's like Baldur's Gate.
Because we're clearly playing a fantasy game here right? :sneaky:
We even have an Italian dwarf Tony who likes pizza.

.......... i swear if i have to deliver another goddamn pizza...

Last edited:
4.00 star(s) 358 Votes