VNLXV

Nov 19, 2017
Can someone please tell me where the 75,000 dollars a month is going? With how slow progress they can't be dedicating all their resources and time to release updates.

Reactions: Tumblingjoint

DarkDaemonX

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2020
Can someone please tell me where the 75,000 dollars a month is going? With how slow progress they can't be dedicating all their resources and time to release updates.
Making games is very expensive, especially if you factor in that every member of the team needs to get a salary too.

And no, they obviously don't spend every waking moment on the game.

Reactions: Count Morado

CUNTBLAZER420

Jan 24, 2020
Making games is very expensive, especially if you factor in that every member of the team needs to get a salary too.

And no, they obviously don't spend every waking moment on the game.
I believe DC has 6 employees and average monthly salary is around $5,000, so yeah, that would be very expensive. Though I have no real clue of his employees actual monthly salary. It could be significantly less than average. Also, I'm not sure if all of them are full time or not. If I had to wager, I'd say each employee is pulling in at the very least $2000-$3000 a month, which is still very expensive.

DarkDaemonX

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2020
I believe DC has 6 employees and average monthly salary is around $5,000, so yeah, that would be very expensive. Though I have no real clue of his employees actual monthly salary. It could be significantly less than average. Also, I'm not sure if all of them are full time or not. If I had to wager, I'd say each employee is pulling in at the very least $2000-$3000 a month, which is still very expensive.
And then you have to factor in the cut he takes for himself, and then the costs of PC parts and supporting his own livelihood from it too, it will quickly become so expensive that there isn't a lot left from the 75000 anymore.

ImTransAndTiny

May 1, 2020
And then you have to factor in the cut he takes for himself, and then the costs of PC parts and supporting his own livelihood from it too, it will quickly become so expensive that there isn't a lot left from the 75000 anymore.
Yeah, no. We're talking about Ren'Py, not a AAA title with the latest version of Unreal Engine. My $800 laptop is overkill for developing Summertime Saga. (6-core Ryzen 5 FTW!) DC needs to pay for Photoshop and, ideally, a laptop with discrete graphics and 12 GB of RAM, connected to one or two 4K monitors. The code developers can use whatever hardware they already have. Hardware costs are $0.

With regard to workload for the programmers, I've seen the size of the codebase. Developing for this game is, at most, enough work for one full-time coder. The Tech Update may be the exception to that rule, if they really are rewriting every script file. I've only rewritten 327 out of 1580 script files. This may well be a big job until it's done, at which point adding new scenes or rewriting existing ones will go back to being a one-person job.

Last edited:

rzkr

May 22, 2021
Lmao is using gallery unlocker war crime or something? I did grind this game zero to top for hours but I switch my pc and I don't have any time or investment to do that playthrough again. (thx for the unlocker btw)

caju

Oct 5, 2017
Lmao is using gallery unlocker war crime or something? I did grind this game zero to top for hours but I switch my pc and I don't have any time or investment to do that playthrough again. (thx for the unlocker btw)
Seems like it.
I never use any of the add-ons or cheat mods but now they kinda got me curious...

ImTransAndTiny

May 1, 2020
Seems like it.
I never use any of the add-ons or cheat mods but now they kinda got me curious...
Totally use mods! Mods add stuff to the game. There's no need to use third-party add-ons or mods to unlock stuff in the game because there's a full-featured cheat menu in the phone (in the wifi icon).

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
It is when the unlocker in question is over 2 years old, ~6 builds behind and only craps out the game when you use it. On top of it being useless since there's 1 in-game already (as posted a few times). Do what you want with the game, but keep in mind you've been warned and your game will assplode if you use it, so don't come crying afterwards. The new "unlocker" made yesterday higher up in the page/thread is still just as useless and will probably crap out everything in a build or 2

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
Yeah, no. We're talking about Ren'Py, not a AAA title with the latest version of Unreal Engine. My $800 laptop is overkill for developing Summertime Saga. (6-core Ryzen 5 FTW!) DC needs to pay for Photoshop and, ideally, a laptop with discrete graphics and 12 GB of RAM, connected to one or two 4K monitors. The code developers can use whatever hardware they already have. Hardware costs are $0.

With regard to workload for the programmers, I've seen the size of the codebase. Developing for this game is, at most, enough work for one full-time coder. The Tech Update may be the exception to that rule, if they really are rewriting every script file. I've only rewritten 327 out of 1580 script files. This may well be a big job until it's done, at which point adding new scenes or rewriting existing ones will go back to being a one-person job.
You seem to ignore that using your own hardware may be possible, but maybe you also want to get some profit out of an employment. And, yes, it's not rocket science coding this game, but there is also the story, the humor, the posing and stuff. It's creative work, and that costs time. I agree that a focused team might be much faster. But on the other hand, who will write mods if everything comes out at triple speed and is obsolete after two weeks already?

;)

• Haha
Reactions: Count Morado

ZLZK

Modder
Jul 2, 2017
It is when the unlocker in question is over 2 years old, ~6 builds behind and only craps out the game when you use it. On top of it being useless since there's 1 in-game already (as posted a few times). Do what you want with the game, but keep in mind you've been warned and your game will assplode if you use it, so don't come crying afterwards. The new "unlocker" made yesterday higher up in the page/thread is still just as useless and will probably crap out everything in a build or 2
I have tried my best for it to work or do nothing.
If update will be required I'll update it.
And if I didn't then you have still buildin cheat,
from button or console command unlock_all_scenes()

And if you are worried about your save,
you can always do backup of persistent file.

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
I have tried my best for it to work or do nothing.
If update will be required I'll update it.
And if I didn't then you have still buildin cheat,
from button or console command unlock_all_scenes()

And if you are worried about your save,
you can always do backup of persistent file.
The other unlocker didn't screw your save, it fucked the gallery loading stuff

The question still remains : what's even the point of possibly fucking people over with a wonky file that might screw the game when there's 1 in-game since ~2018 that works and won't do any harm ?

ZLZK

Modder
Jul 2, 2017
The other unlocker didn't screw your save, it fucked the gallery loading stuff

The question still remains : what's even the point of possibly fucking people over with a wonky file that might screw the game when there's 1 in-game since ~2018 that works and won't do any harm ?
The other unlocker is also changing persistent file,
and it doesn't fuck up gallery, gallery is just broken to begin with.
The gallery can't handle empty variants for scenes with variants,
which other unlocker wasn't adding.

It won't screw the game, it only affects persistent file,
that's why I told you can do copy of it and be safe.

It's just alternative and I don't force anyone to use it.
I just did it for purpose of learning Ren'Py and Python.

ImTransAndTiny

May 1, 2020
The other unlocker is also changing persistent file,
and it doesn't fuck up gallery, gallery is just broken to begin with.
The gallery can't handle empty variants for scenes with variants,
which other unlocker wasn't adding.
Right. There are nine scenes that have variants, and if you use an unlocker that unlocks the scenes but not the variants, then it will crash the game when you try to view that scene in the Cookie Jar. Allowing an empty variant list to crash the game was poor coding on their part, but the gallery isn't broken. It's not an issue if you use the cheat menu. The built-in unlock function iterates through all scenes AND all variants, so just use that.

ImTransAndTiny

May 1, 2020
And, yes, it's not rocket science coding this game, but there is also the story, the humor, the posing and stuff.
I meant one coder. Certainly the game still needs someone to write the dialog and do the posing. I have no problem with there being a team of people working on the game, but I had to push back against the idea that it costs anything like $75k a month to develop a Ren'Py game.

And yes, I'm glad that the game doesn't change so dramatically on a regular basis that it makes modding impossible!

Reactions: sssssssssssssss

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
As said before, everybody in the team except DC is working part time and DC only ever asked for $25.000 in the first place. So the game is certainly earning quite a bit more than it's technically supposed to.

4.10 star(s) 356 Votes