Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
All this did was confirm that the "task" numbers are arbitrary at best. All of a sudden the posing, and art are increased by ~70% or more? And in one month they surpassed 330 tasks? It is more likely they changed what they consider a "task". They did not complete 119 tasks in one month, 211 to 330 tasks complete. Saying it is "the development process" and "number of tasks changes" is not what is happening in this case and is inauthentic. They def changed how they track tasks internally.

I feel like this is because of the coding bottleneck that is apparent. Also, unrelated to what you said, paying more people to code the game does NOT cost a lot more since it cuts the time they are working. You pay two people to get the job done in half the time.... You may have to pay a small extra premium and that is it.
Tracker was never accurate and didn't get updated for months. Any rando that pays for the "expanded" tracker could tell us why they doubled some of the tasks. And they're not adding new coders : it's taking them a decade to recode because they let 4-5 dudes code junk on top of each other since the game launched, they're not doing the same thing again
Projects grow, new bugs are discovered, new ideas get explored, new story is written.
All fun stuff until you spot the debug line is still at 0, it'll blow the thread when they start adding 500+ tasks in there and the total % done crashes and burns down to ~5%
Not sure what you mean by Cookie jar mod. Don't use unlockers. Use the wifi icon on the MC's phone to unlock the cookie jar. There are a bunch of new scenes since 0.20.12.
Too lazy to check the changelog and even more lazier to play the game and check what's new. Let's not get started on the 50+ posts asking the same thing in here since the updpate. Let's instead use some random pos unlocker that will 100% brick the game. Typical
is it possible to get a "back" button? you know, when you may have skip too much :sneaky:
You can force it and crap the game or use srk's mod and possibly not crap the game. Both cases, anything weird happening is on you

campfap

Jul 31, 2017
Haven't played the game in a long time and was wondering how the tech update was coming along so i skipped through the latest stream and someone was asking about the status of the tech update and he answered the following:
  • They make progress but they need more time. If they get considerable closer he will let "us" know.
  • He is considering another mini update because of the time it will take them to finish the tech update.
  • They work on a lot of stuff at the same time, like already on Ronda scenes for the next update.
Sounds like i will be checking back on the game in another 4-6 months.

Edit:

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
Haven't played the game in a long time and was wondering how the tech update was coming along so i skipped through the latest stream and someone was asking about the status of the tech update and he answered the following:
  • They make progress but they need more time. If they get considerable closer he will let "us" know.
  • He is considering another mini update because of the time it will take them to finish the tech update.
  • They work on a lot of stuff at the same time, like already on Ronda scenes for the next update.
Sounds like i will be checking back on the game in another 4-6 months.

Edit:
1st point : nothing new. He always comes out at random telling us "stuff is moving along"
2nd point : already known for a bit. Should be the mafia girls (unless he 360 noscopes us and puts Odette again)
3rd point : still another known thing. He started R(h)onda's art before Xmas and is probably mostly done with her by now

Never watched a stream and knew more than most duders in the thread. Funny how basic reading works

wolfpackjac3

Jan 5, 2021
Projects grow, new bugs are discovered, new ideas get explored, new story is written.
Oh and they competed 110 tasks in the same month they discovered over a hundred new tasks?! Your saying that posing has 70% nore scenes that need complete in a month? No they did not. Nonsense. They changed how they reported their tasks. To clarify, I don't think this is a problem. Maybe it's a better way for them. All I'm saying is the project didn't grow by over 50%.

Last edited:

wolfpackjac3

Jan 5, 2021
Tracker was never accurate and didn't get updated for months. Any rando that pays for the "expanded" tracker could tell us why they doubled some of the tasks. And they're not adding new coders : it's taking them a decade to recode because they let 4-5 dudes code junk on top of each other since the game launched, they're not doing the same thing again
This answer and "reason" for not having multiple programers displays an immense lack of understanding of programming large projects by the dev. Having 5 ppl code separately from each other over years of coding has NOTHING to do with a team coding a project together at the same time. Every company working with moderate budgets use teams of coders. It creates BETTER code that is best practice and multiple people catch mistakes and bad ideas that one person creates. Astoundingly bad idea to have one programmer but sure, defend it. It's taking a decade because one person is doing the work of 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoolHandChewie

MurkyTurtle

Jul 28, 2017
This answer and "reason" for not having multiple programers displays an immense lack of understanding of programming large projects. Having 5 ppl code separately from each other over years of coding has NOTHING to do with a team coding a project together at the same time. Every company working with moderate budgets use teams of coders. It creates BETTER code that is best practice and multiple people catch mistakes and bad ideas that one person creates. Astoundingly bad idea to have one programmer but sure, defend it. It's taking a decade because one person is doing the work of 3.
Screaming into the void here, mate. DC's refusal to hire more people even as he expands the scope and ambition of the game has been well-documented. He did at one point in time have multiple coders, but has dropped to just one for reasons unknown; I suspect he either doesn't attract or is unwilling to pay for top-flight talent. "Adult game dev" may not look that good on a resume :p

I honestly think the situation is even worse than the tracker indicates. Even with just one person working the code it shouldn't have taken this long to re-make the game when they were starting with a nearly complete set of assets and a working example. The fact that the tracker nearly stalled for several months and they went suspiciously quiet on how the tech update was going suggests that a lot of work has needed to be thrown out at least once. I'm not even sure if the art is actually done; DC was on stream less than two weeks ago (4/27) expanding existing mini-game art assets to widescreen.

Reactions: wolfpackjac3

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
This answer and "reason" for not having multiple programers displays an immense lack of understanding of programming large projects by the dev. Having 5 ppl code separately from each other over years of coding has NOTHING to do with a team coding a project together at the same time. Every company working with moderate budgets use teams of coders. It creates BETTER code that is best practice and multiple people catch mistakes and bad ideas that one person creates. Astoundingly bad idea to have one programmer but sure, defend it. It's taking a decade because one person is doing the work of 3.
As turtle above said : whining about it here does nothing. Grab your face and go scream at the Discord/stream, maybe there some1 will notice you (probably seconds before banning you too). And where in my reply is there anything pretending to defend what DC and co are doing ? Stating facts and listing stuff isn't defending anything, keep trying though

Reactions: Count Morado

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
DC's refusal
If I throw an increadulous amount of money at you, out of my free will, without you forcing me to, and say "Do this!", would you do it? Even though I know exactly what you promised to do, and did, when you got a significant lower amount already? I guess not.
well-documented.
Not good enough, apparently.
has dropped to just one for reasons unknown
He did not "drop" to one, he never fired one except once, and that has had reasons.

Reactions: Count Morado

jimmyjambles

Mar 8, 2022
I feel like this is because of the coding bottleneck that is apparent. Also, unrelated to what you said, paying more people to code the game does NOT cost a lot more since it cuts the time they are working. You pay two people to get the job done in half the time.... You may have to pay a small extra premium and that is it.
It turns out that the overwhelming majority of DC's income is probably getting eaten by processing fees. He made the unusual move of making the game fully available at the $1 tier, whereas pretty much everyone else on Patreon will only give you access to the news feed and a Discord channel. It's safe to assume that the lion's share of his followers are subbing at a level where he nets a very modest amount. Then if he's located in the US, the IRS is making him pay self-employed income tax.

At some point, you do make it up on volume. But don't be surprised if he's still only making enough to barely keep the lights on. He could have twice as many subs as he does not and still not be able to afford a full-time coder or other personnel, because of the way he structured his sub levels.

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
It turns out that the overwhelming majority of DC's income is probably getting eaten by processing fees. He made the unusual move of making the game fully available at the $1 tier, whereas pretty much everyone else on Patreon will only give you access to the news feed and a Discord channel. It's safe to assume that the lion's share of his followers are subbing at a level where he nets a very modest amount. Then if he's located in the US, the IRS is making him pay self-employed income tax.

At some point, you do make it up on volume. But don't be surprised if he's still only making enough to barely keep the lights on. He could have twice as many subs as he does not and still not be able to afford a full-time coder or other personnel, because of the way he structured his sub levels.
Game is free to every1 .... Subbing only gives you a private link for the 1st 24h of release, access to some secret Discord channel and voting in polls. And the average duder is "paying" ~3$ a month

wolfpackjac3

Jan 5, 2021
As turtle above said : whining about it here does nothing. Grab your face and go scream at the Discord/stream, maybe there some1 will notice you (probably seconds before banning you too). And where in my reply is there anything pretending to defend what DC and co are doing ? Stating facts and listing stuff isn't defending anything, keep trying though
Was just trying to have a reasonable discussion but yeah, gaslight that im whining. Educate yourself before speaking about coding again because you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Was just trying to have a reasonable discussion
Sorry, I was going to keep silent and let you whine and throw your tantrum and have others reply to you .... But you thought your tone throughout this conversation was REASONABLE? What the fuck do you call unreasonable? Holy fucking shit.

You talk shit, don't have any facts or basis to make your claims. You don't have the resumes of the people involved on DC's team, you have very little knowledge of the development history of the game, you don't sit in on their meetings, you don't have access to their Trello or whatever project management solution they utilize. You have made statements which show you have little-to-no experience in contract hiring and negotiations, budgeting of projects, or the like. All you do is rant and rave from a Dunning-Krueger level of expertise. But ...
1652240737658.png

• Angry
Reactions: wolfpackjac3

ImTransAndTiny

May 1, 2020
Every company working with moderate budgets use teams of coders. It creates BETTER code that is best practice and multiple people catch mistakes and bad ideas that one person creates. Astoundingly bad idea to have one programmer but sure, defend it. It's taking a decade because one person is doing the work of 3.
It depends on the programmers. I recently started a new job where I'm the sole programmer. My employer had been using multiple part-time coders before realizing that it was better to have a single, dedicated coder. Now I'm undoing the mistakes of three or four people who didn't know what they were doing. One competent programmer is better than a team of incompetent ones.

Reactions: APoc1

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
It depends on the programmers. I recently started a new job where I'm the sole programmer. My employer had been using multiple part-time coders before realizing that it was better to have a single, dedicated coder. Now I'm undoing the mistakes of three or four people who didn't know what they were doing. One competent programmer is better than a team of incompetent ones.
Come back in over a year telling us how unfucking the others' work didn't take over a year and you were expecting to finish everything within 3-4 months, with no unforeseen junk that needed to be added to the list. Then keep a tally of every duder telling you what ever you're doing, they'd have finished in ~2 weeks, get paid for nothing and you're actually wasting their time over a free game they barely know exists ....... (/mega-extreme-sarcasm depicting what happens in here)
Was just trying to have a reasonable discussion but yeah, gaslight that im whining. Educate yourself before speaking about coding again because you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
Gotta love how telling you to go to the place where people might actually care enough about your "visions for coding" somehow translates into my own coding ability. Then I was wondering why you were already on the blacklist .......

Reactions: Jonlissla

Heycock

Jun 30, 2020

The team is making around 100 grands a month, or 1 millon a year. Some devs here work for less than 500 dollars a month. DC could easily pay a team of 5 guys if he wanted. If not from USA from anywere in the world were 500 dollars is actually a good income. And even then he would still have 98% of the earnings. He could actually pay 5 grands to 5 different people and still get 75% of the earnings. And 5 thouthands dollars is what the salary of the presidents of my country.

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
The team is making around 100 grands a month, or 1 millon a year. Some devs here work for less than 500 dollars a month. DC could easily pay a team of 5 guys if he wanted. If not from USA from anywere in the world were 500 dollars is actually a good income. And even then he would still have 98% of the earnings. He could actually pay 5 grands to 5 different people and still get 75% of the earnings. And 5 thouthands dollars is what the salary of the presidents of my country.
Weird self-loathing disguised as milking, but at least it's an original take. Grats

• Angry
Reactions: roger545353535353

Heycock

Jun 30, 2020
Weird self-loathing disguised as milking, but at least it's an original take. Grats
Sorry, not sure what you meant but I didn't say he is milking noone. I don't know what the fuck is going on with this people but I reserve that word for guys like Icstor.

I honestely would like to know why they got in this mess couse more I know about how the game code works it makes less sense to me.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Well, hey! Last I heard - It is a team of 5 people: DC, 2 posers, 1 coder, 1 writer. ( I could be off - but going by what's been presented in this thread)

Your math is off for monthly (but about correct for annual) - it maxes out at 80k USD per month gross (currently) - after Patreon's cut, currency conversion fees, credit card processing fees, national income tax, website hosting, software and app costs, other technology purchases/repairs/upgrades, accountant fees, other expenses related to running a business (before paying 4 other people on contract) - you're looking at about 35k USD per month. Now from that comes salaries, etc etc etc etc.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
For a small business of 5 staff members - a $1 million USD annual income isn't unheard of after 6 years of work. In fact, for a semi-successful small business - that's meh. It would have been considered "average" in the US . Today, it would be considered underperforming.

But he's doing something correct. He's the #1 Adult Game Creator on Patreon by subscriber numbers - and has been so for years. Where others have flamed out, petered out, abandoned, etc.
I honestely would like to know why they got in this mess couse more I know about how the game code works it makes less sense to me.
It's been covered dozens of times in this thread if you want to read about it. First DC started coding the game when he probably knew less than you do now. Then, over the years, he's had people come in and code the game - mostly adding to the code, not fixing previous code, necessarily. It's a jumbled mess and that is why about a year ago, DC decided to have ONE person go through 6 years of code from various people within the game and bring it all into one style, better optimizing the game and have it ready for future development. This, rather than continue piecemealing it. At the same time, DC decided to take the game toward the 16:9 aspect ratio (away from the 4:3 standard at the time he started developing) for mobile players and to give the city more locations without needing more than one map screen. yada yada yada yada.

Reactions: APoc1
4.10 star(s) 359 Votes