Ren'Py Abandoned Summoner School Academia [v1.0] [Cascadia Games]

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
Developer here, really didn't mean for this to blow up. Was trying to make a summertime saga / league of legends mash up because I thought it would be fun. There was a ton of work that went into it but it's true that original structure was based on the summertime saga game. As development moved along characters and locations diverged further from the original game (outside houses, arcade, mini games). In fact all the mini games are 100% unique and one of the things I thought was a major improvement. Future iterations are meant to push the story and style further in a unique direction. However, I'm not happy with the current state (which was suppose to be more of a proof of concept) and will be taking some steps moving forward. Patreon is down and will not be taking any donations.

Work at reworking assets that are the same style/layout.
Work with original developer and only move forward with blessing/credit
Sounds great, I hope you can keep going to find a good compromise. I do quite like the game as it was and I remember that there were other games like "a town unconvered" which had similar troubles at first but managed to find their way.

lostraven

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2017
Developer here, really didn't mean for this to blow up. Was trying to make a summertime saga / league of legends mash up because I thought it would be fun. There was a ton of work that went into it but it's true that original structure was based on the summertime saga game. As development moved along characters and locations diverged further from the original game (outside houses, arcade, mini games). In fact all the mini games are 100% unique and one of the things I thought was a major improvement. Future iterations are meant to push the story and style further in a unique direction. However, I'm not happy with the current state (which was suppose to be more of a proof of concept) and will be taking some steps moving forward. Patreon is down and will not be taking any donations.

Be yourself, not an imitation living in the shadow of others. Let your game have it's own identity and I'm sure you'll thrive.

Memer120233

Nov 5, 2018

Not gonna lie but this feels like quite the weak explanation and sounds a lot like a "I'm sorry I got caught" situation, especially seeing as how you were so quick to make a patreon page.

But I suppose only time will tell.

DrWho8248

May 7, 2020
PFFF.... ANOTHER "SUMMER TIME SAGA" COPY-BY-COPY PARODY PROJECT WITH LOW FAP-FAP MATERIAL?

tiltproofno

Game Developer
Aug 22, 2018
Patreon & website down, is the game already dead ?

To be honest I couldn't care less if the game was heavily inspirated by something else, as long as it's good and the story developped into something interesting.

Stop trying to do someone else justice on a pirate website, that make literally no sense.

Merosu

Jul 16, 2017
This guys should be more wise, ppl will be mad about the copy cat situation, but ppl with blue balls after play a game without any sexual content will be furious :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Doom Marine

YamiKoroVT

Nov 13, 2017
honestly i can disregard thr blatent redrawing of ss but meh imititaion means dc doin something right

LoKFan

Aug 31, 2017
what about Piracy?
Both are bad. But there is a difference between distributing a product for free and reselling it with minor modifications to make money off of it. In prison, inmates will steal from guards but not from other inmates, if they do and get caught they will be beaten and not necessarily by the one they stole from. There is a moral code, even in immoral things. If you need source for the prison stuff feel free to watch Larry Lawton's collab with Jessica Kent on YouTube, both ex-inmates.

ILW

Game Developer
May 26, 2017
On the positive side, I do like the principal design ! however, the story is exactly like Summertime Saga but in a different universe. My advice is to change that and the SFX effect is also SS & the whole UI structure is the same. I also do admire the time you spent on making those house design, I like it. It has potential under the skin, just it'll need to be redone the right way.

Reactions: j4yj4m

lolblue25

Sep 16, 2017
Both are bad. But there is a difference between distributing a product for free and reselling it with minor modifications to make money off of it. In prison, inmates will steal from guards but not from other inmates, if they do and get caught they will be beaten and not necessarily by the one they stole from. There is a moral code, even in immoral things. If you need source for the prison stuff feel free to watch Larry Lawton's collab with Jessica Kent on YouTube, both ex-inmates.
if both are bad why are you here?

volkov

Aug 8, 2016
This is perfect because both League of Legends and Summertime Saga have sporadic releases.

AmazonessKing

Amazoness Entrepreneur
Aug 13, 2019

Keep your patreon up, mate. I would have threaten this release as a proof of concept, just placeholders and stuff while you worked on a different art direction or something. I think that the aesthetic is so similar that I'm not surprised people call it a ripoff even with it's own merits.

Good luck, though. Hope you manage to actually do things with different art, because the concept has potential, so don't let this change your mind.