VN Ren'Py Abandoned Sunshine Valley [v0.1] [Rehex]

3.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Gildan

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2017
Responses to criticism like the first paragraph you wrote here won't win you many fans. Also I wrote a very specific criticism to the art that you might have missed just 5 posts above the one you quoted. Once again, I wish you guys luck and hope you use any criticism you get to make something great.
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I wasn't talking about valauble criticism like what you provided but rather the things like linking a picture of a guy with his eyes ripped out. Or memes about copying homework.

It definitely shares an art style to that game but in terms of story and gameplay we are heading in a very different direction. Also each character and background is made without a reference from another game (definitely used some google images for references on facial reactions and objects though). We dont deny the similarity and we consider it a huge compliment. Also I do believe all my replies have been very polite and well intentioned so i'm not sure why any of them "wont win over fans". As I even said in my previous post; we want to comb through the feedback, absorb the good stuff and make changes for next update. And that's exactly what I'm doing by staying active in the comments.

As for my earlier point; its simply pointing out that a lot of 3DCG games look alike and that doesnt mean they are bad games. There is room for multiple projects in each style regardless and in my opinion the more important aspect is offering a different experience. Experience can come from art sure but it can (and will) also come from the story, characters, relationships, sex acts and locations. In all those aspects I think we offer a different experience. The game is still short, a demo of sorts, but that's still the direction we are heading in.

Thanks for your feedback. I really do appreciate serious criticism.

rabanitos

Dec 21, 2018
If i can fap to urban demons i can fap to this lol.
Jokes aside the art is not that bad, except for the sister she needs an upgrade and i'm not talking about giving her bigger boobs I'm talking about that face bruh, I like the way the mom looks and the setting is good. 2D art or drawings games have a special place in my heart so I really appreciate you choose it instead of generic 3D models. Good luck with the game! I'm gonna wait for the mom content for now.

irezawa

Nov 4, 2017
In the mean time if you have some more specific feedback i'd love to know what part of it is "horrible". For example if we look at a character and background, i'd appreciate it if you could point out which aspects of it are horrible:

I will pass along the feedback to my friend Willy. Thanks!
With character models the problem is mostly with the faces. The proportions are all over the place. I'm sure they're supposed to look cartoonish and there's nothing wrong with that, but in this case the result is really hard to watch. I think making the elements a bit more subtle could help. Right now they look like they're all screaming their own individual intention and not working together to form a face in whole. It's a bit difficult to explain this on a foreign language, I hope I'm making any sense at all.

With overall art style the main problem is with decisions on when to use outlines and when not to, and that all the outlines are very strong. There's either strong outlines or none at all, with no middle ground. This with very little fading between different shades of colors (and there's LOTS of 'em!) makes for a weird and quite frankly shoddy result. This also affects quite a lot on how the faces come out. When you look at that background portrait of the campsite, some parts of it look like they're supposed to be painted and some like they're drawn with heavy pencil, and while they're both OK on their own, they don't look good together.

1571665395801.png

Like in this picture: The guy's clothes are filled with lines but there's hardly any at all anywhere else and literally none at background. And all the lines there are, are VERY strong. On the skin of characters there's a lot of different shades but almost no fading so they look like they're colored with thick markers.

I'd say more variation on outlines, less different shades on colors (especially on skin and definitely on faces) and smoother fading between shades. Either fade the colors smoothly or separate them with a thin line. With latter you're forced to use lot less different shades of colors and I believe the result would be a lot more clean and clear and probably even more cartoonish.

Last edited:

TheDuraflex

Feb 17, 2018
Alot of of bitching because of the faces damn, relax its a 0.1 ffs, the handjob animation was actually very well done.
I hope the story doesnt move as fast as Hannah because she just acts like a huge hoe!
What does concern me tho is size, first release very little content and already at 320mb!

BigAdam

Sep 20, 2016
Don't know if anyone asked this already, but as min/max-gamer I always use UnRen and keep the code/script on my second monitor while playing a game. Noticed that this game uses some other way to encode/pack the images and script. Anyone know how to decrypt/unpack a .rpc-file, or at least extract the rpy files? :) Cheers!

Deleted member 833007

Aug 20, 2018
It all comes to the point between a good story vs Visual Quality..If the game has either one of them then its a win but if one of them goes missing then i am afraid it might not create a big fan base...but i do agree with some of the comments regarding the appearances of the characters that may need some tweaking...you cant blame the players though...as the adult gaming community has expanded much more over the years and game with high Quality renders and images have made most of the players expectation level a little high..and so its logical that they starts comparing between the former and latter...but i do try not to judge a book by its cover..Best of luck!!

Gildan

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2017
Alot of of bitching because of the faces damn, relax its a 0.1 ffs, the handjob animation was actually very well done.
I hope the story doesnt move as fast as Hannah because she just acts like a huge hoe!
What does concern me tho is size, first release very little content and already at 320mb!
Thanks for the feedback. Yes Hannah is suppose to be a easy going girl. She likes to smoke and fuck. She's more like a highschool drop out then a bimbo/hot girl who fucks everyone though. We wrote her that way for two reasons; First I think it allows us to have a family member who will introduce MC (a virgin) to sex and sexuality. Also because we know some people want to get sex right away, we thought its also a great way to get early incest action without rushing some key relationships like mom-son and brother-sister. Thanks for your comment.

Don't know if anyone asked this already, but as min/max-gamer I always use UnRen and keep the code/script on my second monitor while playing a game. Noticed that this game uses some other way to encode/pack the images and script. Anyone know how to decrypt/unpack a .rpc-file, or at least extract the rpy files? :) Cheers!
If you join our discord and shoot me a pm, I can help you out with that. Though in v0.1 there are no path/choices or rpg elements so theres really nothing to see. Just click through the story until the end :)

It all comes to the point between a good story vs Visual Quality..If the game has either one of them then its a win but if one of them goes missing then i am afraid it might not create a big fan base...but i do agree with some of the comments regarding the appearances of the characters that may need some tweaking...you cant blame the players though...as the adult gaming community has expanded much more over the years and game with high Quality renders and images have made most of the players expectation level a little high..and so its logical that they starts comparing between the former and latter...but i do try not to judge a book by its cover..Best of luck!!
Yeah I definitely dont blame anyone with serious criticism like that. We will take in the feedback and work on the next update and show them our changes. I also appreciate that you dont judge it by its cover. I hope people give it try. 0.1 story can be played out in about 25mins and without any grind or minigames so I hope everyone gives it a try :)

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I wasn't talking about valauble criticism like what you provided but rather the things like linking a picture of a guy with his eyes ripped out. Or memes about copying homework.

It definitely shares an art style to that game but in terms of story and gameplay we are heading in a very different direction. Also each character and background is made without a reference from another game (definitely used some google images for references on facial reactions and objects though). We dont deny the similarity and we consider it a huge compliment. Also I do believe all my replies have been very polite and well intentioned so i'm not sure why any of them "wont win over fans". As I even said in my previous post; we want to comb through the feedback, absorb the good stuff and make changes for next update. And that's exactly what I'm doing by staying active in the comments.

As for my earlier point; its simply pointing out that a lot of 3DCG games look alike and that doesnt mean they are bad games. There is room for multiple projects in each style regardless and in my opinion the more important aspect is offering a different experience. Experience can come from art sure but it can (and will) also come from the story, characters, relationships, sex acts and locations. In all those aspects I think we offer a different experience. The game is still short, a demo of sorts, but that's still the direction we are heading in.

Thanks for your feedback. I really do appreciate serious criticism.
OK, yea that stuff isn't helpful. And there's nothing wrong with using references even DarkCookie used a lot of references while streaming. Your backgrounds do look really well done, which is why I didn't mention them. When I said you won't win over fans I meant the fact that you took criticism about art style similarity and compared it to stock Daz assets. First of all, anyone using Daz assets (legally) is paying for a license and therefore is free to use those assets as they wish.

However if you chose to draw a Spider hero called Spooderman with a red and blue costume and any obvious similarities to a popular character and you were unable to sufficiently prove that you were engaged in parody/fair use of some sort, that would represent a intellectual property violation. So the fact that this is the case for the most part in the west colors people's perceptions of works of fiction that are similar to others even if only superficially, whether or not it rises to the level of IP infringement.

Of course it's great that you've been inspired by the surge in independent western 2D adult games the last few years, and no one being ingenuous would fault you for that. Hopefully your artwork improves like A Town Uncovered did (although it still could be better IMO, but it's a lot better than it was), and your passion pays off.

Deleted member 1019532

Nov 18, 2018
Have Windows 10, Internet Explorer, Total AV antivirus.

Downloaded game using Nopy, opened with 7-Zip.

Total AV quarantined the .exe file. Everything else went into the Sunshine Valley folder except that one file.

ProofreadingRUS

Forum Fanatic
Aug 10, 2019
Well first thing...the women....in the next version. You have to make their faces less manly.
The story has pootential to expand bigger if you just make the drawings a bit better.
Specially where the facial area is concerned.

SinGen

Sep 6, 2018
i think you should change a little bit the art because the girls look the same but with different hair style

Moosy

Feb 10, 2018
The artwork is fine, while it doesn't really fit my taste and I'll be honest and say that I didn't download it nor do I plan to play it for now at least, even though it may undermine my statement, but with that in mind, I've been reading this thread, and the reason is the similarity with Summertime Saga, which the artwork doesn't fit my taste either even though I liek the game. So I feel the need to come in here in defense of this one. Similar artwork doesn't take away any merit the artst have, it's just their style. I highly doubt it was a copy and I don't see the similarities as an issue at all, for those who really like SS artwork this one could be a plateful. I'm sorry that I can't go into specifics since I didn't try it, however I must say that the dev really handled well the criticism, and some of them are really construtive and have good intent. And for those who want to critize it, don't use bad memes similarities as if it were a bad thing. Anyway, I really wish good luck for the devs, keep it up!

Reactions: Gildan

acewinz

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 15, 2018
Man, I think its a real danger having a piece that big. One erection too many and he could lose all the blood in his other head.

Gildan

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2017
Well first thing...the women....in the next version. You have to make their faces less manly.
The story has pootential to expand bigger if you just make the drawings a bit better.
Specially where the facial area is concerned.
Thank you for the feedback. We will try to improve based on feedback.

i think you should change a little bit the art because the girls look the same but with different hair style
Keep in mind (if you played the censored version) that they are actually family members. This is an incest game. So they do need to look like family. With that said, we can change their appearance based on feedback. Thank you!
Man, I think its a real danger having a piece that big. One erection too many and he could lose all the blood in his other head.
Haha yea. We jokingly said that if it was any bigger he'd poke his eyes out.

hmorphone

Jun 8, 2017
Have Windows 10, Internet Explorer, Total AV antivirus.

Downloaded game using Nopy, opened with 7-Zip.

Total AV quarantined the .exe file. Everything else went into the Sunshine Valley folder except that one file.
Same problem using the Mega link and Avira antivirus. Malwarebytes thinks its ok...?

3.00 star(s) 2 Votes