JmTrad

Jun 2, 2018
That's kind of a bad take. How many arcs do we already have in the game? 20+? 30+? If we count mini arcs
There are tons of AVNs where they are several years in the making and several updates and still have not completed one arc of their game.
I made up the names, let's go:

Discovering arc, that goes until the party
Mafia arc, that goes until the battle in Klauss mansion
Jake arc, that goes until the battle in the President office
Wanted arc that goes until the battle against Valravn
Derly arc that goes until Battle of Diamonds
Twins arc that goes until the fight vs Cole
And now we are on the Monster World arc that looks like will finish in 1 or 2 updates.

Last edited:

Grimnir098

Jan 27, 2021
I answered that question when I brought it up, this is a story, it's like asking why isn't it more common for heroes to get powers easily, it cheapens the whole thing.

No it's not irrelevant, it happens in the story for a reason, to make it more interesting. Maybe the author can still with the exposure reasoning or maybe Xanthe will later prove to be an unreliable narrator.

Yes down to luck, or effort, like how almost every superhero is made.

The serum cheapens the process by making it a pill to pop. That is usually reserved for mass produced enemy fodder, not superheroes.
The process is cheap. Achieving an evolution doesn't mean anything, because anyone can do it, even without the serum.
The timing of an evolution is important, but only to make for a hype fight, like with Klaus, Deryl, and Cole.

shujuku

Oct 11, 2023
The process is cheap. Achieving an evolution doesn't mean anything, because anyone can do it, even without the serum.
The timing of an evolution is important, but only to make for a hype fight, like with Klaus, Deryl, and Cole.
Nah evolution should not be some asspull SSJ200069420 thing. Its much better if someone strives for certain goals like Michael does before evolving.

In Clash of Clans terms: Don't rush your base and max your buildings :muscle:

Grimnir098

Jan 27, 2021
Nah evolution should not be some asspull SSJ200069420 thing. Its much better if someone strives for certain goals like Michael does before evolving.

In Clash of Clans terms: Don't rush your base and max your buildings :muscle:
What does this have to do with my comment?

TheShelly

Dec 20, 2020
Don't those lights in the back remind you of the city in the otherworld from an overhead view? Also Ella said the Quilpoth exists in multiple dimensions, like the immaterial realm, so isn't it possible the fish got dragged into the immaterial realm and got loose?
The guy in the teaser is called Talos. All we know of him rn is that he is a Seahuman and not the Seahuman king.

Ciaran8023

Jun 4, 2018
So far pretty interesting, but man this game goes kinetic as fuck at the WORST possible moments quite consistently. I realize that this is purely to drive narrative but man is it starting to piss me off pretty severely, the main issue being in that it just removes player agency. Sure you can choose some minor things, but for the larger plotpoints you're just watching a trainwreck happen without any input on it.
I'll keep going until I hit the current update atleast.

EDIT: yeah I am going to just drop this I think.
I just absolutely despise that probably 95% of every narrative twist and progression is at the expense of the MC and anyone he holds dear without any input at all when there are a myriad of other ways to do so, it just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth and me feeling pissed off because there's no way to ever suspend disbelief when the MC is basically slated to ALWAYS lose in pivotal moments, and then get proportionally small victories in return before he's just back to getting jerked around like a mindless puppet. No matter how strong he'll get, I suspect this will simply just continue as it seems like it's what the dev is most into using out of all the narrative tools.
This game would have worked better as a kinetic novel moreover, most of it is just an illusion of choice, there aren't really any branches in the main story, just "hey this person will be slightly more mad at you" or just a dead end. It's a shame because it really seems like a fairly ambitious project from a writing standpoint.

Last edited:

Mistwing

Sep 29, 2020
Reading through this discussion... I'm somewhere in the middle. The process of evolution isn't cheap, but it also isn't special. It's not necessarily something you "earn" so much as how far you get climbing your own ladder of potential, effort and evolution. The highly evolved are in leagues of their own and each step is significant. So, for a superhuman... evolution is everything.

But from a storytelling standpoint, it's cheap. It can be triggered whenever for virtually any reason the writer likes and the trick is to wield that weapon well. Each one exponentially increases the characters capability and it's always much more interesting to tie that kind of evolution as a narrative force with evolution as a character.

The fact that anyone could theoretically do it at any time, yet few ever make it past 3 (if they ever get there) keeps it mysterious and impactful and also makes resources such as Bramon's serum so important. The downside is that the audience won't always respond the way the writer would like to an evolution.

The do-nothing duo using it to evolve mid battle like they're popping an energy drink during the fight with Ella is kind of awkward in retrospect and doesn't properly sell what they're actually doing. Besides, where's the trance? But this was very early in the story and evolution hadn't even been properly introduced so... it's excusable.

Coles evolution can come across to many (including me) as a get-out-of-jail copout. I never found Cole intimidating. I never thought he contributed anything to the story or the dynamic other than calling everyone and everything a bitch or a cunt with nothing to back the attitude up. I did not enjoy beating him because I never found him intimidating or challanging in the first place. And his evolution only came out to a "Surprise, fucker. Now you gotta beat his ass AGAIN while he monologues at you" and he doesn't even die.

Can't land every shot you take. Other Evolutions have worked out far better. Like the MC in the battle against Klaus. It had a long build up, was a long time coming, and didn't happen immediately. We lost once and even then had to fucking work for it and it felt earned with the increased mastery of the MCs powers. There was nowhere left to go but up. Similarly, Alice's was a great example of good storytelling and informed entirely by her character, background, attitude and absolute refusal to be limited by virtually anything.

Grimnir098

Jan 27, 2021
Coles evolution can come across to many (including me) as a get-out-of-jail copout. I never found Cole intimidating. I never thought he contributed anything to the story or the dynamic other than calling everyone and everything a bitch or a cunt with nothing to back the attitude up. I did not enjoy beating him because I never found him intimidating or challanging in the first place. And his evolution only came out to a "Surprise, fucker. Now you gotta beat his ass AGAIN while he monologues at you" and he doesn't even die.
Cole's evolution is not a copout, it was heavily foreshadowed. It was mentioned multiple times that he was a peak level 3 and was ready for an evolution.
Maybe you think this dilutes how special evolving is, for Cole to reach level 4, but keep in mind that he clearly monsterfied to a degree (the claws on his hands and feet, and the gem on his chest), even more than Jake (when he evolves, one arm becomes longer than the other, and his teeth become very sharp). Despite all his preparation, he still wasn't ready for level 4.

Lammy123

Nov 7, 2021
Cole's Evolution was so heavily foreshadowed I'd have been more shocked if it didn't happen, I went into that patch 100% expecting to beat Cole 1v1 in a level 3 duel then having to beat his arse again when he evolved.

That being said, yes Evolution works best when it occurs in tandem with character development/growth rather than oh you're just stronger now. It can't always be the case (side characters especially) but say Alice/Michael getting level 3 should absolutely be important Character defining moments for them.

Mistwing

Sep 29, 2020
Cole's evolution is not a copout, it was heavily foreshadowed. It was mentioned multiple times that he was a peak level 3 and was ready for an evolution.
Maybe you think this dilutes how special evolving is, for Cole to reach level 4, but keep in mind that he clearly monsterfied to a degree (the claws on his hands and feet, and the gem on his chest), even more than Jake (when he evolves, one arm becomes longer than the other, and his teeth become very sharp). Despite all his preparation, he still wasn't ready for level 4.
Oh no it's definitely earned and foreshadowed. It's not an asspull or a deus ex machina or anything like that. I'm just saying that for me the impact was not where it was intended to land. It was not an oh shit moment, when I played it. It was a "Oh for fucks sake." I rolled my eyes. I did not clench my fists.

This is not me saying it's bad writing or universally badly recieved. Just that you won't always get the resonance with the audience you're looking for.

Edit: Though I should say I dispute Cole himself as a source for how powerful or how ready he was. That little shit would claim he was about to get stronger than Berhnardt soon, just you wait.

Reactions: SquallofNight

Raizeki

Feb 18, 2018
can anyone help ? dowloaded the new updated and the game just don't open, i get this traceback text saying that there is a "infinite loop error"

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/screens.rpy", line 1463, in script
style skip_text:
style skip_text:
Exception: Possible infinite loop.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\grego\Downloads\Superhuman-0.99-pc\Superhuman-0.99-pc\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 277, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "C:\Users\grego\Downloads\Superhuman-0.99-pc\Superhuman-0.99-pc\renpy\main.py", line 558, in main
renpy.game.context().run(node)
style skip_text:
File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python3.9/site-packages/future/utils/__init__.py", line 441, in raise_
style skip_text:
File "C:\Users\grego\Downloads\Superhuman-0.99-pc\Superhuman-0.99-pc\renpy\execution.py", line 61, in check_infinite_loop
raise Exception("Possible infinite loop.")

Windows-10-10.0.19041 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.0.3.22090809
Superhuman 0.99
Wed Oct 9 07:20:11 2024

shujuku

Oct 11, 2023
can anyone help ? dowloaded the new updated and the game just don't open, i get this traceback text saying that there is a "infinite loop error"

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
style skip_text:
style skip_text:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\grego\Downloads\Superhuman-0.99-pc\Superhuman-0.99-pc\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 277, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "C:\Users\grego\Downloads\Superhuman-0.99-pc\Superhuman-0.99-pc\renpy\main.py", line 558, in main
renpy.game.context().run(node)
style skip_text:
File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python3.9/site-packages/future/utils/__init__.py", line 441, in raise_
style skip_text:
File "C:\Users\grego\Downloads\Superhuman-0.99-pc\Superhuman-0.99-pc\renpy\execution.py", line 61, in check_infinite_loop
raise Exception("Possible infinite loop.")

Windows-10-10.0.19041 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.0.3.22090809
Superhuman 0.99
Wed Oct 9 07:20:11 2024
Hey grego!

4.80 star(s) 367 Votes