VN - Ren'Py - Completed - SWe1: The Warrior's Heart [v1.0] [Mortze]

1. 4.00 star(s)

Duke Leo

Great sexy Star Wars story! I'm looking forward to seeing more of these in the future.

Update: I've stewed on this game for a day and the more I think about it the more authentically Star Wars it feels! Amazing job! I still can't give it more than four stars because of the weird flaw below, but this is a great SW story...with sex!

My only quibble is it feels like some of the conversations assume that you have already talked to specific characters even if you haven't. I think it would be better if we were able to talk to more people instead of only having one communication and then the story progresses. Just my 2 cents.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

nivedit121

A really great story with amazing renders. Writing this review so that the developer gets more support and the game reaches more players. Played this game couple of months ago and waiting for the next episode.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

Kickstartercz

Utterly fantastic beginning to this game; will eagerly follow. Very detailed renders and scene setting; a fantastic story set in a world many of us love and has rich depth to it (along with sexy times). I tend not to enjoy VN but a good job doing it alongside a number of differing paths so it isn't just a linear click-through. All in all a fantastic beginning and I can't wait (unlike the movies!) for the sequel.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

reyreynao

A good game with a good pace. The storytelling is also excellent. On top of it the animations great too. Depending on which answer you choose you might end up with another girl, so focus on a girl at a time and replay it for the others. This game totally deserves a 5 star rating.
  5. 5.00 star(s)

Machete

Good, most definitely good. I wish i could play the whole story. Not that the gameplay is too short but i hope we'll see the conclusion. How many more characters do i need to 200? Not enough yet? I could really use a counter here.
  6. 4.00 star(s)

Ippolito

I'm not a VN lover, but as a SW enthusiast I decided to try the game and, what about? I was definitely satisfied with it. The 3d characters are well done and the girls very nice, the atmosphere is well done too and the story is compelling (I can't wait to see the sequel).
    Strengths of the story are the Jawa (he is a real bro and, as everyone knows, the bros come before the girls) , the writing of the characters, which are never reduced to horny specks, and the plot, very interesting and not trivial.
    I think, taking inspiration from SW, the story will be made up of three chapters, so I hope the next two are longer than this, where the duration is more due to exploring the various consequences of your choices. Among the downsides we must also include the complete silence of the game: no music, few ambient sounds and the only characters with a voice are the Jawa and the droid, who don't have much to say (and even less to understand). Finally the animations are a bit woody, but there is absolutely room for improvement. For the rest it is a really good game, nothing to say: try it and, if you like, support the developer, so that the next two chapters can be even better.
  7. 4.00 star(s)

Roelandt

SWe1: The Warrior's Heart , by Mortze

This is the story of a rag-tag MC who wants to escape the decreped world he lives on by getting a job as a supporting crew member of a ship. On board me meets an interesting crew, aliens, an on-the-run former Jedi, and adventure.

I love the storytelling (top of the food-chain in this format). The writer has great style. For example, while the heat regulator damage was just a vessel to allow us to see some skin, it was actually EXCELLENT for the story, used to create a conflict instead of JUST the obvious eye-candy, adding to the "in a Box" environment for the first act. I found that to be brilliant and memorable.

The author used numerous VERY clever elements that were just great, spicing up the sci-fi environment. For example I loved the "healing cloth" of the Jedi's uniform. That was such a neat idea, and VERY well portrayed in the story when the MC noticed her suit wasn't damaged. Brilliant. And the ship being the same general class as the Millennium Falcon was nostalgic, well portrayed, and a very good idea. I also loved the portrayal of the Empire and the Empire characters.

The game just FELT like Star Wars. Though the characters were good, I found the Captain's overly violent and bullying personality off-putting ("Um...Captain, you're pointing your blaster at an un-armed girl and unconscious woman. Did you skip your meds today?"). While I liked the Jawa, finding him interesting and funny as a supporting alien character, I found his "pervert" aspect to be unpleasant and bizarre, though in this format it is sadly almost to be expected.

My biggest complaint is personal and won't be agreed with by anyone who likes the Star Wars Expanded Universe. While the Jedi is my favorite character in the game (she's SO cool), I was disappointed by her backstory adding "Jedi Academy-esk" counter-canon concepts of Jedi Knights. Until her backstory was told, I assumed that she was a surviving Jedi of Order 66 on the run, which would have been MUCH more interesting, adding a conflict and immersion now diminished. A Jedi-Who-Quit seems flimsy and makes her seem like...well...a wishy-washy quitter, and counter to the strong, confident Jedi portrayed in canon. I gather it was the author's intent to make the Jedi character "attainable" sexually in future installments. I get that, but still, the "surviving Jedi", as opposed to the "quitter Jedi" could have sold some interesting storytelling elements and still left the character "attainable".

I found the Twi'lek to be...well...creepy. It was a curious decision to give her skin texture that looks like its rotting. I find it difficult to even look at her since I'm not a necrophiliac. No previously portrayed Twi'lek I have ever seen had a skin tone that looked like she's been dead for 2 weeks. They have all had colorful, smooth skin (like the other Twi'leks portrayed in this game). I'm hopeful that it is an unpleasant physiological effect of her ordeal as a slave and her complexion will...clear up. Maybe she can put some ointment on that stuff. As she is now she's stomach turning, and I have to skip through her intimate scenes.

Other than the relatively minor flaws, this is an excellent piece of fan fiction, visually stunning, and better than most published Star Wars books I've read.

Nearly perfect at 4 out of 5 stars.
  8. 5.00 star(s)

Dragon59

Visually beautiful. Feels like a return to the SW universe without getting cheesy. A few references for context, one that may be a bit anachronistic (we shall see). I can hardly wait for the next one.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

brossanova

Awesome VN, especially for a SW fan. Great visuals, great storyline. This is not a game in a sense that there is no gameplay, other than selecting your path in certain points of the story, but I can tell that the story and artwork are so great that make this title worth a run, even if you're not into SW.

Congrats to Mortze, awesome work. Eager to see a second chapter come out!!! If you are working on ii or planning to do so, count me as a new patron.
  10. 5.00 star(s)

gaereth

Wow! I think it's fair to say that storywise and regarding the atmosphere, this game easily trumps most of the other stuff here. Even if you're not into Star Wars. Not only that, the renders are also great: unique and with attention to detail. I also like the shown bodies, not as generic as sadly many games on this forum, but both sexy and credible.

Of course, some things can always be improved, but that would actually just be the icing on the cake. For example, there could be more choices (however the ones you have do matter) and more lewd content. But that's ok since it's episode 1 :) Well, the animations could look a bit more natural (like in Willy D for example). The only thing I think, that would really improve the game is making the consequences of your choices less obvious. Here it's just: do you wanna talk to girl a, b, or c? Repeat this for a couple of times and you eventually get girl a, do this for girl b, you get b.

Overall, a fantastic game, or better, a start of a new series!
  11. 5.00 star(s)

Terrog_the_Bane

Cool animations, great art, and great story telling. The Star Wars feel is fucking awesome, and the little call backs had me laughing my ass off. It really made me feel like I was immersed in a more realistic Star Wars universe. A strangely perverted one perhaps, but it almost made it feel more normal, like that's how people would act. 10/10 would recommend
  12. 5.00 star(s)

Magr3d

Okay, if you're looking for some hot and quick fun content that's not the one.
    But if you are looking for a good storytelling visual novel with some adult theme here and there that's for you. AND most of all, if you enjoy Star Wars but dislike the childish Good vs Evil act of it that's definitely one you'll enjoy.
  13. 5.00 star(s)

GamerQueen

Totally amazed after playing the game. Wasn't expecting such engaging storyline, it includes everything. Action, Fantasy, Romance, Emotions, The story itself presented beautifully. A must play game for sure if you're on F95zone. Applause from me. Good luck to the developer. Keep it up.
  14. 5.00 star(s)

Ankhesenamun

_____________________________________________________________________________

Summary: A nicely elaborated Star Wars story that is so immersive you'll find yourself believing it is part of the canon universe. With nice models, good visuals, advanced literary grammar and developed characters, you're in for a good couple hours of fun.

Review:

Art-style: ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
    Even though the creators overuse depth of field and focal blurring, the visuals are alluring and very fitting of the universe. A bit of rendering dust, presumably because of low-spec GPUs, but nothing crippling.

Gameplay: ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
    Given how short the episode is, it's surprising the few choices you have do matter. While they do not lead to separate plotlines, they are enough so that you may choose which one of your crewmates to court.

Storyline: ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
    The best aspect of this game, the storyline is well written and features real characters with real personalities without exaggerating their peculiarities. MC is a cool, positive guy used to making-do in the face of adversity, and you can feel his happiness and excitement for adventure while also denoting his lack of experience and occasional awkwardness. A breath of fresh air from MCs that are usually extremely dumbfound or extremely resourceful kung-fu masters.

Grammar: ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
    Even colloquial mannerisms are well inserted in an elaborate set of dialogues with advanced grammar, interesting juxtapositions and intricate spellchecking.

Stars
    : 19
    Parameters: 4 (Art | Gameplay | Storyline | Grammar)
    Final calculus: 19/4 = 4.75 = 5
    Result: 5
  15. 4.00 star(s)

taler

Great dialogue, very fitting star-warsy writing, including the cringe inducing jedi jabber whenever those characters start speaking. Fantastic renders, sexy girls. A normal protagonist who's neither deranged nor annoying.

Cons
    • Removed transition skipping from renpy options, inexcusable.
    • Animation bugs
    • Lack of gallery or ending tracker, have to blindly guess if you got all the endings, most attempts to try match up different options don't show much difference and end up being a waste of time.
  16. 5.00 star(s)

galora

Anyone that ever played a Mortze game knows what they're getting into and surely won't need anyones point of view to play it.

To the others I say this :
    The story is awesome! Nothing more just play it xD
    The characters always have depth to them
    The renders might not be what you expect from playing games on f95, but the amount of work that is behind them is breathtaking

Just play the damn game, one of those games where updates can't come fast enough
  17. 5.00 star(s)

LowKiIncognito

This is written well using the medium to tell a pretty interesting story. I really enjoyed how the existing lore was woven into the game without being a pillar. I'm looking forward to future updates. If the content stays solid, I'm sure this could make it into my top 5.
  18. 5.00 star(s)

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

Note: I am not a Star Wars fan. I have never watched any of the movies or otherwise interacted with the brand. Am I missing out? Maybe, but I don't care.

Time to Complete: 2 hours + 1 hour to go through paths.

TL;DR: An amazing game with beautiful renders and an engaging story, with it's only fault being that it's simply too short for your choices to matter all that much,

[4/5] Story: Unfortunately, the game is too short for the story to have very much depth to the branching paths. The branches only affect what sex scenes you get and give you a little bit of background information on the characters. While the game may be extremely linear, it is extremely engaging and I was completely engrossed throughout my playthroughs.

[5/5] Renders: Every single render in this game looks gorgeous. It's clear a massive amount of work was put into fine attention to detail and there was also clearly a significant amount of work done out of the rendering engine to really make the renders look as beautiful as they do.

[5/5] Renders - Characters: While the characters' base models aren't unique to just this game, they are still great models and definitely fit their characters very well.

[5/5] UI: This game has among the best looking UIs out of all the VNs I have played. It clearly was made from the ground up for this game specifically and doesn't appear to have a single default element from the standard RenPy UI.
  19. 4.00 star(s)

Jack Beauregard

———————— (o˘◡˘o) ————————

SWe1: The Warrior's Heart is what...

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away."

NO!

SWe1: The Warrior's Heart is what...

It's a deep story with a probable future narrative path. A globally coherent lore, I say globally because the SW franchise is so lost that it's hard to find your way around.
    And a gallery of interesting characters that can lead to situations as funny as they are serious.

Visually speaking, Mortze did a great job. Whether it's the characters or the background scenery, the game is really superb.
    And even though I'm not a fan of the MC's design, I really like all the other characters, including the background characters.

I don't give it five stars because perfection doesn't exist. On the other hand, if I could have given it 4.5 stars i would have done it gladly.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the sequel, and until then I highly recommend it. And since criticism is easier than practice, I'd like to say thank you and bravo to Mortze for his work.

Signed Jack Beauregard
  20. 5.00 star(s)

Craiggerbird

Fantastic game. Great art, great animations, and a great story that draws you in and keeps you hooked. When I reached the end of this version, I was sad that I couldn't keep going to learn what happens next. Looking forward to future installments!