Dole

Well-Known Karen
Apr 28, 2017
Gotcha, thanks! So the pirate version isn't the same as on my Patreon, as I've already fixed that bug (am not going to name names as to who first reported it but they were SUPER helpful). So patrons can enjoy the .22 beta bug free if they have access ;)

Pirates end up suffering. I'm OK with that :)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The card game this time is supposed to be "Easy," and the next it will certainly be harder. I believe introducing a game mechanic should be a gradual increase of difficulty to ensure accessibility and enjoyment by players of varying skill levels.

I'm not sure why the save from the last version didn't work, I apologize for that. I'll try to ensure to the best of my ability new releases have better continuity as I hate not being able to use a prior save.

Really appreciate the write up and that English isn't your native language. I'm good with Spanish as well if you want to send me a note in that language feel free.
That is the problem with pirated Games that maybe the errors or only in the pirated Version.

I am German and my school time are very long time ago and I use English only in Games/WWW and not in Life so it is possible I make mistakes in answers or translating in my homelanguage.

Here is the error I get with my old save (played 0.21 on 24. so it was not long time ago). Like other Games I have to beginn new to came through it without error.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/village.rpy", line 551, in <module>
NameError: name 'startedfirstcardgame' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "script.rpyc", line 1481, in script call
File "script.rpyc", line 1481, in script call
File "village.rpyc", line 551, in script
File "D:\Downloads\Schon gespielt\SwordofWonder- 0.22-win\renpy\ast.py", line 848, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "D:\Downloads\Schon gespielt\SwordofWonder- 0.22-win\renpy\python.py", line 1804, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
File "game/village.rpy", line 551, in <module>
NameError: name 'startedfirstcardgame' is not defined

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.14.3135
SwordofWonder .22

jillgates

Game Developer
Oct 10, 2017
Ah:
played 0.21 on 24
Now I'm wondering if continuity is impacted when adding new variables. Hm. I'll need to look into that.

Thanks for the extra detail, I appreciate it. Danke.

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
Yes it is @jillgates ;) But there's a workaround for that called
Code:
label after_load:

# add variable definitions here
This label gets automatically called everytime a savegame loads. So inside that label you just have to define the same variables you added to the rest of the game again.

i.e.

Code:
label after_load:

$ startedfirstcardgame = False
But I'd make sure you have a game_version variable to check which version they're on when loading the savegame :) (As far as I know the build in one doesn't really work with that, because it seems to be a persistent data and gets changed by starting the game... so it is changed after loading a savegame too.... )

Reactions: jillgates

jillgates

Game Developer
Oct 10, 2017
Am following *but* this is new to me. If you're around on Discord later will ping and will research a bit separately.

@Palanto Games do you know of a game that does this well so I can review their code ? :)

Reactions: Palanto

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017

Fourth weekly update since I started the new series of posts, for last week's update,

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017

Remember click in Spoiler to see all.

jillgates

Game Developer
Oct 10, 2017
Thanks for that @UncleVT :) Saves me a bit of time.

The poll is still supporter only (until tomorrow) then it'll be free. I've already shared the image on Deviant Art and wanted to add it here.

If you feel strongly about any of the wardrobe options, I'd recommend voting now or when it's free to do so on Feb 4th. Of course, the supporter votes are weighted more heavily. Fun fact btw, of the dress options, I created one, my SO created the other three. I'm so far not winning, but in second place. I'd like to think I can put together a dress better than they can so...a little opinion would go a long way :) Thanks.

Reactions: Palanto and UncleVT

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
Actually I think it's not that hard to tell which one you did though :) It's great but I still like the black and red more (probably because I like those colors more :D )

Morpheus668

Jun 22, 2017
first off, I wonder if having them all in the same pose would change my preference..
second, would you like a simple "I chose B" or a breakdown of choices?

jillgates

Game Developer
Oct 10, 2017
@Morpheus668 "B," as in the black and red? Figures, that's winning about 4x over the next best option.

Still, I think for the character, it's a better choice even though not mine lol. If you believe any colors should be considered, I'm doing another poll for Briley in the next week and then another for "main character" from SoW (Jack in RtK). In the case of Sword of Wonder though the "Main character," outfit won't be as visually impactful b/c you mostly see parts, not the whole character.

Oiz

I am not Bloo, cause Bloo is a cunt
Modder
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
Updated :pokerFace:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Please @jillgates can you try to add your new variables inside an init bloc ?
This way they will be created and initialized before the start of the game, which will make each update compatible with a saved game.

Edit: Also, there's a flaw in the game's flow :
You use a "call" for the random events in the wood, but you jump out of them instead of returning from them. In consequence the return stack isn't emptied and when you return in your "realend" label, you don't go to the main menu, but somewhere between the label "journey" and one of the events, depending of what the player past through during its play.
The best way is probably to just replace "renpy.call" by "renpy.jump" in script.rpy:1067. The other solution (returning from the called event) need that you also update the "countdown" screen which need more works.

Oh, one last thing, you don't need to use "renpy.call". The call statement accept a dynamic value as argument. To take the one you use at the line 1067 as example :
Code:
    call expression randwoodsevent
should do the same if my brain isn't too asleep right now.

jillgates

Game Developer
Oct 10, 2017
>can you try to add your new variables inside an init bloc ?

Actually, I do believe I have fixed this in the yet to be released version .22 - it's literally the first time I have learned about how to ensure new variables were instantiated in a release and ensure that older save files will work. Validated on the .22 pending release but it is a known issue in the existing second .22 release. For the .20 and prior I won't be supporting save files however, from the .21 onwards, I have learned how to code the relevant function to handle this.

Thanks to Palantano for that.

Re: the game flow bug, I'll work on improving that using your example. That was the first time I've used such code and as I've learned, it's hard to get it right the first time. Once I get it solved, I'll update this just wanted to make sure I addressed the two issues.

jillgates

Game Developer
Oct 10, 2017
Hi Cameage;

The free release will be out today of the .22 version and I'm working on the .23 version; fingers crossed I will be able to ship around May 1st, give or take a few days. Thank you very much for your interest in my work, I appreciate it a *ton*.

Download via Mega on Mac, Windows or Linux:

I'll also see if I can make sure a moderator or somebody updates the first post to indicate the latest update was more recent than January :)

Reactions: Krull

Cameage

Aug 13, 2017
Hi Cameage;

The free release will be out today of the .22 version and I'm working on the .23 version; fingers crossed I will be able to ship around May 1st, give or take a few days. Thank you very much for your interest in my work, I appreciate it a *ton*.

Download via Mega on Mac, Windows or Linux:

I'll also see if I can make sure a moderator or somebody updates the first post to indicate the latest update was more recent than January :)
Ah, thank you.

jillgates

Game Developer
Oct 10, 2017
Also if you haven't played Romancing the Kingdom, it's much further along (some scenes are same, some different - RtK is 3rd person omniscient, where SoW is 1st person male point of view). You can ; there's a supporter version that's newer but isn't publicly available yet & won't be till near end of May.

jillgates

Game Developer
Oct 10, 2017
Just shipped the bug fixed version of .22 to my website and Mega, was wondering if the first post could get updated with the new game art and the corrected files. :)

Jazzgeoff

Sep 15, 2017
Had a quick look at this game, a couple of inconsistancies I noticed on my playthrough. I thought I would mention them since you (jillgates) are active on this forum. In the Inn, the girl asked me if I was interested in her, I told her no but the game carried on as if I had said yes.. Also when I met the queen I told her honestly about the shipwreck, but in a later conversation I was forced to lie so she would not find out I had lost the ship.

Reactions: jillgates
3.10 star(s) 7 Votes