Jun 7, 2019
Naah - I hate that model tbh. I actually hope more devs go down the mega update route. Come to think about it I would rather wait say a year and get the entire game at once. I think most games would end up way better in the end.
That model makes no sense. People aren’t paying for a game they’re more so paying for progress. Most of the top games have been in development for years and aren’t really even close to done even though it’s been worked on consistently. Don’t see many people would be willing to pay for something they have to wait a year for. Mega updates are kinda a letdown for a lot of people because you wait months for something expecting a lot and when it’s not up to par it’s sucks or maybe the content in it wasn’t your type of thing, more consistent updates gives the leeway of not waiting forever for something and even if you don’t like that update the next one isn’t too far away. Damn this wait got me typing paragraphs to random people online vroom vroom.

rexloke

Aug 19, 2019
Sorry guys, game is trash. Until the Lostraven romance update gets introduced, I dont want to even know about this game anymore.

That being said, if you cant use memes in the romance and asking "GIVE US THE EXACT MOMENT IT IS GOING TO BE RELEASED" 500 times, i dont think that will be anywhere near the dream i have hallucinated. On a side note, does anyone smell rotten eggs?
What do ya mean by romance update?

b1007011

Dec 19, 2019
Sorry guys, game is trash. Until the Lostraven romance update gets introduced, I dont want to even know about this game anymore.

That being said, if you cant use memes in the romance and asking "GIVE US THE EXACT MOMENT IT IS GOING TO BE RELEASED" 500 times, i dont think that will be anywhere near the dream i have hallucinated. On a side note, does anyone smell rotten eggs?
then why are you here?

CheshireCat90

Jan 21, 2020
I only recently started playing this game, and the wait for the update is killing me, I feel bad for all you guys who have been waiting since december.

Love the game cant wait for the update, please wake me once its out as I plan to just sleep until the update is out as I literally have nothing else to do :LOL:

Reactions: oste22

Fixn

Aug 29, 2017
What do ya mean by romance update?
They have this beautiful character named Lostraven, who is dark and mysterious. You meet them by asking the teacher the same question 200 times, and can be found around the school after that. But so far you can only hint at starting a romance with them.

then why are you here?
Because if someone cant make fun of the repeated questions, then what fun is life?

D

Deleted member 94436

That model makes no sense. People aren’t paying for a game they’re more so paying for progress. Most of the top games have been in development for years and aren’t really even close to done even though it’s been worked on consistently. Don’t see many people would be willing to pay for something they have to wait a year for. Mega updates are kinda a letdown for a lot of people because you wait months for something expecting a lot and when it’s not up to par it’s sucks or maybe the content in it wasn’t your type of thing, more consistent updates gives the leeway of not waiting forever for something and even if you don’t like that update the next one isn’t too far away. Damn this wait got me typing paragraphs to random people online vroom vroom.
Thank you for replying.

The model I described is used by most non-adult games - so I do think it makes sense. I know about early-release and all that but I'm speaking in general terms. The huge problem with the model you describe is this: The motivation shifts from finishing a good game to prolonging development for as long as possible. Hence all the comments about "milking the patreons".

I'm sick and tired of seeing a dozen new 0.1 games with stock assets and zero effort week after week. So few games ever get finished - of the top of my head I can only think of a few. From a monetary view point it just makes more sense to never finish your game or to start over with a new one.

I think this way of thinking makes crappy and unfocused games. The devs are catering to the monthly - or whatever - update cycle and not the overall experience. TT and maybe SS are the exception to this standard.

If you make a solid game - prove yourself so to speak - I think people would be willing to back you for the next project. This is how Akabur did it essentially. I know he releases episodes now but people waited forever for Princess Trainer Gold. But this is hard - I know - it takes time, talent and tenacity. Things we rarely see in this world.

Personally I would rather wait a long time and then play the game in full than stretching the experience out over years and years of shaky development. That is just my preference, so I'm biased in this, sure. But I have yet to be presented a good argument against my points stated above.

But you seem of a different opinion than me so I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Angry
Reactions: lVlOha and Qianke
Nov 24, 2018
Visiting this thread so often, I’m starting to fully understand why DrPinkCake never sets a release date for the updates of Being a DIK.

It’s a little irritating, but ultimately it’s for the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: oste22 and Fixn
Mar 21, 2018
Honestly preferred the smaller more consistent monthly releases. These “mega updates” haven’t felt considerably bigger considering they take like 2-3 months to pump out.
As long as this doesn't end up like Summertime Saga where we only get two updates a year because the artist wants to redraw every character over and over again and make up various excuses.

T51bwinterized

Game Developer
Oct 17, 2017
Non-erotic games can raise capital to lay for early assets. It's enormously difficult for a first time H-dev to draw investment or starting funds. Thus, the wave of low polish version 0.01s. You get capital by impressing players.

If you talk about the economics and challenges of developing a weg without discussing the capital problem, you don't know what you're talking about.

The strongest Patreon games are ones that either keep the scope large enough to make consistent development possible without "stalling". However, the very best tend to use episodic style formats, where they break the game into chunks of beginning-middle-end narratives that are small enough to release fast, but build together to make for a larger expierience.

Reactions: Qianke
Jun 15, 2017

You forgot about the part where if you asked LostRaven 100 times, the Cult of "Wooden Rulers Hidden Inconspicuously on Wooden Floors" arrive at the town to terrorize the local folk with said rulers. The main objective would then be to eradicate the cult by asking LostRaven approximately 666 times while battling the cult in different multi-verses, which can be accessed via a portal in the principal's office. This must all be done within a 1337 minute timespan, and yes, the time will still go down with the game closed. If you fail, LostRaven will be sacrificed by the cult on the Peenis Weenus Alter, which will kill him and summon forth the Icon of Sin, which will then proceed to destroy the world with his dick, thus exterminating all life on Earth. But if you're successful, the cult will be destroyed, and you'll be declared the Ruler of Narnia, and the game will grant you 10 trillion sex scenes of LostRaven and your mom.

Last edited:

eagleslash

Nov 24, 2017

3.50 star(s) 351 Votes