D

Deleted member 94436

Yeah, so I think I can safely say that I was wrong to give Uber the benefit of the doubt at this point. In the right context, delays can be understandable. However, delays without any sort of communication is just shitty behavior on behalf of the dev.
Also my stance. lostraven is doing his thing here and I salute him for it - but the lack of communication is just a bad move. The Patreon has been silent for almost a month now. People can be understanding and forgiving when you take your time to facilitate an honest an open discussion. Going AWOL on paying costumers is never a good idea.

Readerf2b

Nov 21, 2020
Last post was December 25. If he got seriously ill around that date, he may still be indisposed, covid is a bitch that makes you tired 24\7 even after you are "healthy", and its not like all other serious illnesses are on vacation. On the other hand, if he was going to release in 2020, he supposed to have at least some form of complete build even if not full-planned.

thessaya

Jul 25, 2019
Man it's just that all of these games have a problem with the scope the devs set for them. You start out ambitious and maybe you get 3 to 4 updates out for a year and everybody is super pumped. Then something happens; somebody gets sick, the artist disappears or you realise that you've coded yourself into a corner and everything else from here on out is going to turn the game design into a nightmare.
Suddenly the updates take longer and longer and you only get out two of them per year. This is also the point where new characters or remakes are being introduced. Which is super frustrating because this either means there have to be some serious cuts made for content later on, or the game is going to take 12 years before it has any chance of being finished.

With that said, I hope it works out for Taffy Tales because it's the perfect mix of outrageous art (without looking like plastic bimbo and shelf-type asses which probably have their own consciousness) and total depravity.

WatchmanW

Apr 4, 2020
I think they just burned out and took a vacation for 20-30 days. Or worse, they died of the coronavirus. Anyway... The game is amazing. Especially the writing, just unexpectedly good. It made me reread the whole game 3 times. Definitely one of the best games on this site.

Dec 29, 2018
Last post was December 25. If he got seriously ill around that date, he may still be indisposed, covid is a bitch that makes you tired 24\7 even after you are "healthy", and its not like all other serious illnesses are on vacation. On the other hand, if he was going to release in 2020, he supposed to have at least some form of complete build even if not full-planned.
Even if he wanted to take 6 months off for no reason, so fucking be it. The issue is he's not being transparent with ANYBODY, not even his co-workers. COVID isn't pleasant, but using it as an excuse to not take 1 fucking minute to say "Hey guys, I'm gonna take an extended break until I feel better, so just a warning, there won't be an update this month" is a load of bullshit.

Aug 13, 2017
I'm in the weird position that I've actually suffered from being infected with covid and was in a ward full of other people infected with it. I've gone through the recovery process and I don't know if I'm just built differently to other people but it took me a week to get back to being able to wake up and not spend like 20 minutes taking deep breaths trying to move out of my mattress.

aderson

May 26, 2019
Quality. Speed. Cost. (they can never come perfectly together in one project)

Every project is subject to these three criteria. The project of this game from my point of view focuses a lot on quality and cost, but it takes a longer time to work.

For anyone trying to expedite the release, they also risk the quality and cost of the game.

geenius3ab

Sep 2, 2017
Quality. Speed. Cost. (they can never come perfectly together in one project)

Every project is subject to these three criteria. The project of this game from my point of view focuses a lot on quality and cost, but it takes a longer time to work.

For anyone trying to expedite the release, they also risk the quality and cost of the game.
The issue is that the devs should have a good idea of how much they can do and how quickly. Uber already gives himself a lot of leeway and he has literally given excuses/reasons for delays that weren't anywhere close to professional (partying being one of the delay reasons). Quality should be a focus, yes, but if the quality comes combined with a poor work-ethic, then it's just a waste of money and expectations for consumers.
Your explanation would make sense if Uber was paid per update - But he isn't. He is directly benefitting from each delay, and being able to see a poor work-ethic in combination with self benefit, it's just not as "infallible" as you're trying to make it seem. If you had someone who works full time on a project such as Taffy Tales, then he could have produced the content within 1-2 months, that Uber is releasing within 6 months.
Quality takes time, but you should've had alarm bells ringing if 30~ minutes of content takes 6+ months of "development" to reach. Dual Family used the "quality takes time" excuse to the utmost limit so that they've become infamous for it.

Taffy tales already has a foundation set, character models thought through, systems in place - this is the time where development should be happening the quickest, not the slowest.

I can understand the people who're bitching about it - I can also understand being lazy and not feeling like doing work, and if you have a possibility to just sit back and relax while money keeps rolling in, why wouldn't you? You need good self-discipline to get yourself working, and Uber seems to have trouble with that. Still, the point is that one shouldn't become too comfortable and think that they can find a gig as good as this easily. Likely once consumer goodwill grows thin enough, then everyone related to the project will need to find something else to do(Although seeing that Dual Family still has patrons.. Maybe I am just overthinking it?). I do hope that things won't go that far, although there are people who're already quite disappointed in Uber, so I hope that going forward we can expect better from setting the correct expectations..

Last edited:
3.50 star(s) 351 Votes