manscout

Jun 13, 2018
Pretty fun game so far, I like the attention and level of detail in the prologue.

I think some people are getting the wrong idea about the choices we get during the prologue, I feel like we're only meant to interact with things in a superficial level at this point, the main story hasn't even properly started yet. Getting every choice you make to have permanent and significant repercussions is not workable with the level of detail this game is aiming for in my opinion, so I think it is fine for some decisions to only lead to slightly different dialogue or other minor effects.

I'd be okay if the full effect of reading Varion's scroll 2 is just that after the time skip Tali is also a bit colder towards Varion and not wondering so much about why they are not close anymore.

I also like the idea that the reward for suspecting Alva is loyal to Varion and not to Tali could be as simple as not gifting her the better sword, presumably if we keep the better sword then we can equip Felix with it in the future.

The choice of which lesson to take seems a bit more important though so I agree it would be neat if each lesson could result in different rewards, here are some ideas:

Studying scriptures - Allows Tali to impress the high priestess, perhaps she can gift Tali with an equipment of some sort.

Combat training - I'm not sure if the fight against the assassins has been removed or not (I didn't run into it), would be cool if combat training allowed Tali to take out 1 or 2 of them on her own with a prepared spell and potentially drop some kind of reward from them.

History - I can't really think of a very imediate reward for it, I think it would be cool if Tali being aware of the trial meant that she could publically expose just how flimsy the justification for Varion's coup is when he challenges her during the coronation, that could set some kind of [Tali sympathizers] flag which could cause some NPCs throughout the story to give Tali their support (with items and other rewards), as more people see Varion's rule as illegitimate.

Finally, I think the only criticism I have right now regarding the tone of the game, is that I feel there is a bit of a dissonance between the level of attention to detail the game requires from the player, and how little intelligence Tali shows as the protagonist of the game. I wouldn't mind if Tali was allowed to appear insightful a bit more often, could get annoying if the game keeps encouraging the player to be smart and pay attention, but then the MC keeps acting flabbergasted about revelations the player already figured out 20 minutes ago and having to have everything be pointed out and explained to her by another character. Maybe a more insightful Tali won't fit the main party dynamics that you have planned for this game (since in RtD Tali was pretty much the "flustered submissive" of the group), but I think it is worth keeping it in mind before making her too much of a "ditz" in her dialogue and interactions.

Reactions: MostlyHereForYuri

OhMeGaGameStudio

Game Developer
Nov 2, 2020
Pretty fun game so far, I like the attention and level of detail in the prologue.
Hi! Thanks for the feedback, this is very useful! Right now we are finishing up with new art being made for the game and I'm working on a 0.2.0 build that will rewrite the whole prologue with new systems in mind. I am aiming to release it sometime in September. The choices made in prologue will have vastly more impactful consequences. Tali will no longer be hardlocked into a "white mage" path and the player will get vastly more input into how the character shapes up, as well as being able to determine the starting gender. I am also working on a full rework to how the skills and equipment work in the game, with different pieces and sets of equipment granting and improving certain skills, so choices such as keeping or gifting the sword would have a much higher impact on not just the story, but also on gameplay.

Finally, I think the only criticism I have right now regarding the tone of the game, is that I feel there is a bit of a dissonance between the level of attention to detail the game requires from the player, and how little intelligence Tali shows as the protagonist of the game
Definitely, though keep in mind this whole demo was written pretty much as I went while I was literally figuring out how to even make a game in this engine on a time limit :D I will aim to improve this in the future and give more options to the player!

RhapsodicHotShot

Oct 25, 2019
The choices made in prologue will have vastly more impactful consequences. Tali will no longer be hardlocked into a "white mage" path and the player will get vastly more input into how the character shapes up, as well as being able to determine the starting gender.
Wow, sounds quite ambitious.

Dont you think that it will increase the amount of work the deeper you get into the game? You basically will need 3 times the amount of content.

Violet5100

Apr 24, 2018
Not bad at all. First rpgm game I didn't play exclusively to see sex scenes. Good story. I'll be keeping an eye on this. You do fine work, OhMeGa.

mide

Nov 28, 2017
i was really liking roll the dice, is there any reason you stopped working on that one to make this one, instead of finishing roll the dice and making this a sequel?

RhapsodicHotShot

Oct 25, 2019
i was really liking roll the dice, is there any reason you stopped working on that one to make this one, instead of finishing roll the dice and making this a sequel?

" The premise of the contest was Game Night, so I took a story I thought about how to put the story I came up within that framework and came up with the idea of it being a VR world based on the imagination of the players. Over the year I’ve come to realize more and more that as fun as it is, this is a compromise on the story I really wanted to tell. I want to spend more and more time in this fantasy world, and the real world aspect just kept getting in the way… "

RhapsodicHotShot

Oct 25, 2019
Next build will come out this month, now that I finally kinda know what I'm doing with rpgm and educated myself into coding custom stuff for it :)
Be sure to update the page images with that new art, once all the characters have been made in the same style.

The current art is a bit...meh, and the images dont particulary show off the game well.

OhMeGaGameStudio

Game Developer
Nov 2, 2020
Be sure to update the page images with that new art, once all the characters have been made in the same style.

The current art is a bit...meh, and the images dont particulary show off the game well.
The art has been the biggest showstopper in this project so far, words can not express how frustrating that has been over the entire year...

OhMeGaGameStudio

Game Developer
Nov 2, 2020
0.1.3 released, next build should drop in about a month. Please check the changelog and public patreon post for additional details on this build.

4.00 star(s) 1 Vote