Abeldanger

Jul 3, 2017
Yes that would not be a bad Option to be able to lie and say you had no gold or have a place to deposit it all.

I normally just edit the save, and search for money, and set it to zero or one for now. If I wish to see a scene that requires me to have no money.

And then place it back to the original value later if I need to.
Yeah, I have used tools like CheatEngine which can edit memory locations to achieve the same effect in the past (really liked the pooka bad end scene). If you really hate the ToA combat system, btw, you can use this to win or lose any encounter pretty easily, with a little practice on tracking value changes. Not gonna go into a full tutorial here, but e.g. CheatEngine enter your starting HP as a new search when combat begins, wait til it goes down, search for the new value as the next scan, repeat until you've narrowed it down to a single memory address, then either freeze it or bump it to 60 as necessary (to win) or set it to 1 or 0 to lose (you can set it back up to 60 after you start to see the defeat dialog if you don't want to heal at camp afterwards). Memory location for HP resets every combat so without writing a script to find it that's the easiest way to go.
Don't think every user is up to these methods, so a quick-n-easy fix might be a second value in the save to track banked gold, then a dialog tree with 'deposit all' 'withdraw 10' (repeatable) and 'withdraw all' options.

Last edited:

UndeadEve

Aug 22, 2017
Yeah, I have used tools like CheatEngine which can edit memory locations to achieve the same effect in the past (really liked the pooka bad end scene). If you really hate the ToA combat system, btw, you can use this to win or lose any encounter pretty easily, with a little practice on tracking value changes. Not gonna go into a full tutorial here, but e.g. CheatEngine enter your starting HP as a new search when combat begins, wait til it goes down, search for the new value as the next scan, repeat until you've narrowed it down to a single memory address, then either freeze it or bump it to 60 as necessary (to win) or set it to 1 or 0 to lose (you can set it back up to 60 after you start to see the defeat dialog if you don't want to heal at camp afterwards). Memory location for HP resets every combat so without writing a script to find it that's the easiest way to go.
Don't think every user is up to these methods, so a quick-n-easy fix might be a second value in the save to track banked gold, then a dialog tree with 'deposit all' 'withdraw 10' (repeatable) and 'withdraw all' options.
Or you can save edit with notepad, that works too.

ssj782

Engaged Member
Apr 19, 2019
Are there more 'no gold' events besides the inn and the bunny debt?
Because I just made a save with no gold right outside the town. And the encounter button takes care of the bunny showing up.

taglag

Aug 6, 2019
Or you can save edit with notepad, that works too.
Yeppers! I find for this game Note pad is far easier, and allows me much faster, and easier changes to this game as in changing my class, money, adding item's, skills, removing virginity, or finished quests so I can do them again.

I use cheat engine, and make tables for it when needed for some games, but it is just not the best or easiest for this game.
Are there more 'no gold' events besides the inn and the bunny debt?
Because I just made a save with no gold right outside the town. And the encounter button takes care of the bunny showing up.
The stay at inn with out enough money requires you to be basically broke. I cannot think right now, but seems like there may be another.

Jun 20, 2017
You all say use the Notepad++ to edit your save. How do you get it to keep your edits? Ive tried to max out food for a bit but it always brings it back to what it was when i saved originally.
Any help would be great!

UndeadEve

Aug 22, 2017
You all say use the Notepad++ to edit your save. How do you get it to keep your edits? Ive tried to max out food for a bit but it always brings it back to what it was when i saved originally.
Any help would be great!
do you edit the right save file ?
it's confusing why it's like that but, save 1 is save 0, save 2 is save 1 ect.
Also, do you edit in the right place ?
in the file there is 2 sides, i don't really know why and what is the second part used for, but it's there.

Reactions: theregularmack

taglag

Aug 6, 2019
Any help would be great!
do you edit the right save file ?
it's confusing why it's like that but, save 1 is save 0, save 2 is save 1 ect.
Also, do you edit in the right place ?
in the file there is 2 sides, i don't really know why and what is the second part used for, but it's there.
Yes editing save0.json does not work well for me, I normally edit save1.json which like UndeadEve said save0.json is save1 in the game. the saves start like all hex numbered Items zero is one, 1 is two, and so on.

The edits are quite simple, but there is a catch. The bottom of the save ( anything past the name Hiro ) is default, and has nothing to do with your saved game.
So all your edits need to be in the top half of the game save above the Hiro default. I hope that makes sense.

Like here is a pumped up nearly complete Profile with a Pumped up save1.json ( I have attached), which in the game would be save2. This save file is at the beginning of a new game, before ever moving. The profile is needed because the save requires the extra points one gets during the creation of a new character. Which the nearly complete Profile gives.

The money, crystals, and food are bumped up major high, as are many of the skills. It is for testing or quickly buzzing through the game.

Looking at it in notepad++ might help you to see what you need to change to gain strength, and money, food, crystals whatever.

Looking at the QuestFlag (search for it in ,json file ) you can see what quest's you have done, and also what stage they may be at on ones where this is important.

If by chance you want to repeat a quest that you have already done, maybe in a different way. Example

"GADGETEER": 2,
Just highlight, and delete that line save it, load that save, and the quest will have never been done, and you can go do it again. NOTE the last questFlag will not have the [,] after it as in Example
"ELF": 9 (note the Comma missing in the last Quest flag, this is also true when editing the Inventory the last entry will not have a comma at the end of the double { } )

The .json is pretty self explanatory and for the most part very simple to understand. just always back up your save first encase you bumble something.
Like if the save you want to keep is save2. Make a new save in save3, and edit that one in Notepad++ which will be save2.json.

I hope some of that helps.

Last edited:

UndeadEve

Aug 22, 2017
The edits are quite simple, but there is a catch. The bottom of the save ( anything past the name Hiro ) is default, and has nothing to do with your saved game.
So all your edits need to be in the top half of the game save above the Hiro default. I hope that makes sense.
I will use this oportunity to ask, why is there a default part ?
I kind of understood it was the default (mostly because the name was hiro) but i don't understand why it's there at all.

broly965

Jul 6, 2017
Basically save 0 is save slot 1 and slot 1 is actually slot 2 and so on. I just use slot 0 and quick save. Quick save is my preference.

Reactions: Jorja

Filippa2000

Jun 22, 2017
Guys its easy just start your run save on save file 1.
goto ur game folder file
find Save 0
Edit with notepad ++
Edit your stats and other stuff

If you dont like the name u chose, just edit it in the same file

Jorja

Modder
Jun 19, 2018
Basically save 0 is save slot 1 and slot 1 is actually slot 2 and so on. I just use slot 0 and quick save. Quick save is my preference.
Same here. I always use the quicksave for my editing. Just quicksave in the game, leave it open, load up the file in notepad++, make your edits, save it, and then tab back over to the game and hit quickload. Easy peasy.

BTW for everyone who is wondering the second half of the save file is for the story mode. So if you are playing the "Create Character" mode you edit the top half and if you are playing the "Story" mode then you edit the bottom half.

Reactions: taglag

taglag

Aug 6, 2019
Same here. I always use the quicksave for my editing. Just quicksave in the game, leave it open, load up the file in notepad++, make your edits, save it, and then tab back over to the game and hit quickload. Easy peasy.

BTW for everyone who is wondering the second half of the save file is for the story mode. So if you are playing the "Create Character" mode you edit the top half and if you are playing the "Story" mode then you edit the bottom half.
Thank you for that info. I seldom play the story mod, I think actually only once, it is slow moving, and very far from finished so I never considered it as the reason for the Lower part of the save file.

I like editing save1.json mostly because I like keeping a back up at the start of the game, I quick save so often that I would be over writing that one to much, and not have a good return point.

I do quite often edit the quick save though, and then save it in a main save slot to have a return point.

Reactions: Jorja

Jorja

Modder
Jun 19, 2018
Thank you for that info. I seldom play the story mod, I think actually only once, it is slow moving, and very far from finished so I never considered it as the reason for the Lower part of the save file.
You're welcome. :)

I really would like them to focus on the story mode myself. I kept thinking by now it would have so much more to offer but sadly as we are both well aware that is most definitely not the case. :(

Reactions: rj45direct

Majalis (ToA)

Jul 31, 2019

No it isn't. The "playerStart" portion of the save file is a snapshot of the character as it was created, so that if you get a Game Over (outside of cheat mode) and hit Continue, it will automatically start a new save file with that character configuration.

hueman4321

Apr 16, 2018
Hey Majalis, I used to be a backer for most of 2018 and I had quick question regarding the Patreon goals. I've been tracking the Patreon goals since I first found out about ToA back in early 2018, and I was wondering why the goals are never met despite the total backers dramatically increasing. For example, the first contracting goal was about 80% when I first backed, however it is still sitting at around 80% eighteen months later. Thanks :)

Reactions: Assblasta9k

ssj782

Engaged Member
Apr 19, 2019
Yeppers! I find for this game Note pad is far easier, and allows me much faster, and easier changes to this game as in changing my class, money, adding item's, skills, removing virginity, or finished quests so I can do them again.

I use cheat engine, and make tables for it when needed for some games, but it is just not the best or easiest for this game.

The stay at inn with out enough money requires you to be basically broke. I cannot think right now, but seems like there may be another.
I did say 'no gold'. and say the inn and the bunny. I was asking if there were more besides those two.
For the inn, you just have to have less than 10g. Then you get 'desk duty'. A second time and you get an image of you in bed with her, which repeats the bed scene forever after.
The bunny requires you to have a debt to the bank. When she comes to collect the debt, you have to have less than 10g and she gives you one chance along with 1g. The second time she appears and you have less than 10g, she'll fight you. If you lose or surrender, you get the bunny ending along with your class changed to 'BUNNY'.
You can skip the debt if you use the 'encounter' button and select 'bunny'. You still need to have less than 10g to see the event/ending, though.

taglag

Aug 6, 2019
Yeah I was reading to fast my apologies, and I tend to forget the bunny as it is sort of and end all, so I did it once, and have not repeated it sense.

4.50 star(s) 145 Votes