Unreal Engine Tamer: King of Dinosaurs [Demo v0.15.21] [Ride The Lion Studios]

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes
Jun 16, 2024
Dev need to upload some gameplay fast on this game.
Have you seen our trailer:

But I hear you. Right now, we, as a community, are working on fleshing out the map to balance travel between zones, 'quest' locations, and everything else. We'd love more direct feedback as we develop this game. Join the Discord:

We release updates every Friday on our Patreon and will add a similar update trend on the Steam store page.

GanjiangMoye

Mar 24, 2024

But I hear you. Right now, we, as a community, are working on fleshing out the map to balance travel between zones, 'quest' locations, and everything else. We'd love more direct feedback as we develop this game. Join the Discord:

We release updates every Friday on our Patreon and will add a similar update trend on the Steam store page.
i say that cause the game actually are just a teasing so. I want to play now xD

NinjaNamedBob

May 3, 2018

I did, and a few things stand out and make me go "people want to pay for this crap?"

First and foremost, that combat looks rough. I play a ton of video games, one of my favorites being Mount and Blade:Warbands. The combat there is really tuned, and the studio wasn't even that big when the game originally came out. They worked their butts off with each mechanic. Here, your hit detection is bad. Blood splatters out of nowhere. I don't see any indicator that damage is being done or the dinos are even being affected. Would it have killed you to put in a basic stagger animation?

The main character is a cop, but doesn't have a service weapon to defend himself? Also, when he asks the chick why this is happening, she explains that they're being dumped on the planet as food. Um, buddy, dinosaurs had food. Also, different species of dinosaur were separated by different eras. The spinosaur and T-Rex, for example, lived in two different eras in two different ecosystems with what one could reasonably assume is substantial different atmospheres.

I don't even have context for the spider lady stuff. Like, are all the women on this dino cafeteria hyper-horny sluts seeking male attention and our protag is just the most recent member of this one-male world?

That framerate in your fort-building display. Jesus, dude. Did you build this on Windows 95? Even M&B doesn't stutter that hard on a toaster.

What is this "taming" ability? Besides him riding a dino alongside a herd of trico's, (For the record, there is heavy debate as to whether Trico's and T-Rex's lived at the same time during the late Cretaceous period), there isn't much shown that suggests it's some significant skill exclusive to the main character. As far as we know, anyone can learn it and the real question is why there wouldn't be a tribe of dino-riding Human's just living their best lives.

I'll say it again, this is just a really bad ARK clone with sex that a terrible writer is pushing out. There are already mods for lewd content in ARK, I assume. Why anyone would want this game when those exist is baffling.

Edit: There were, in fact, NSFW mods for ARK around a year ago. Probably still there.

And so I repeat, why consume literal fecesd when you can have the main dish prepared by the original chef?

Last edited:

KaltesHerz

Jun 11, 2021
That is sorta what I meant by MSE sorta being stifled into not growing as much, in terms of writing style, as he could have. I have opinions on why that's the case, primarily hubris and fanboys feeding that hubris. Tamer is probably his best series, well.. there was another I loved.. it sold poorly and was paused indefinitely. I just checked and saw another 3 books in the series have come out since I last had checked.. so I may give him another chance to see if he's grown some into the author I feel he could be.

With Arand/Darren you see him grow as an author quite a bit. Not to say I've read every series and loved them, I found the trilogy around "Steve" to be inconsistent to the point I dropped it quickly into book two. I just picked up WW6 and need to start it, but I've been too busy.
is Steve the dude from Save State Hero?

haven't read that one and probably wont

to much dissapointment with super sales and wild wastes to continue

Jun 16, 2024
I did, and a few things stand out and make me go "people want to pay for this crap?"

First and foremost, that combat looks rough. I play a ton of video games, one of my favorites being Mount and Blade:Warbands. The combat there is really tuned, and the studio wasn't even that big when the game originally came out. They worked their butts off with each mechanic. Here, your hit detection is bad. Blood splatters out of nowhere. I don't see any indicator that damage is being done or the dinos are even being affected. Would it have killed you to put in a basic stagger animation?

The main character is a cop, but doesn't have a service weapon to defend himself? Also, when he asks the chick why this is happening, she explains that they're being dumped on the planet as food. Um, buddy, dinosaurs had food. Also, different species of dinosaur were separated by different eras. The spinosaur and T-Rex, for example, lived in two different eras in two different ecosystems with what one could reasonably assume is substantial different atmospheres.

I don't even have context for the spider lady stuff. Like, are all the women on this dino cafeteria hyper-horny sluts seeking male attention and our protag is just the most recent member of this one-male world?

That framerate in your fort-building display. Jesus, dude. Did you build this on Windows 95? Even M&B doesn't stutter that hard on a toaster.

What is this "taming" ability? Besides him riding a dino alongside a herd of trico's, (For the record, there is heavy debate as to whether Trico's and T-Rex's lived at the same time during the late Cretaceous period), there isn't much shown that suggests it's some significant skill exclusive to the main character. As far as we know, anyone can learn it and the real question is why there wouldn't be a tribe of dino-riding Human's just living their best lives.

I'll say it again, this is just a really bad ARK clone with sex that a terrible writer is pushing out. There are already mods for lewd content in ARK, I assume. Why anyone would want this game when those exist is baffling.

Edit: There were, in fact, NSFW mods for ARK around a year ago. Probably still there.

And so I repeat, why consume literal fecesd when you can have the main dish prepared by the original chef?
Not going to try and convince you to play the game there, Bob. If you want your questions answered about the taming ability and other factors releated to gameplay you have 2 options. 1) Wait and see what happens and development progresses and we release more content and updates and/or 2) get the first book of Tamer: Kings of Dinosaurs for FREE (you love free) in either ebook or audiobook format here:

Hugs
- RtLS :)

Jun 16, 2024
Is this open world?
It is more of a Survival Action RPG. It will have a large area to explore, but it is not a sandbox game. The intent is for the player to drive the story forward through survival and interactive elements with the women in the story. We intend for this game to be able to stand on its own as a game without the interactive sex elements, but we do like those.

Ragingrager

Jan 27, 2018
All this just to play as a male character. How incredibly lame and what a hugely missed opportunity.
I mean it literally based of a book series of a male character. Of course you're going to play as a male character. The entire story is about how they're literally setting up a planet for males to have harems.

At this stage of development, you will be playing as Victor, but that may change once we hit play testing and gather more feedback. The hard part is that this will be fully voiced, so that would mean we'd have to change how we present the lines in the story.
It would be utterly stupid to play as anyone else frankly. Though you should also have an option to turn of the male voice for the sex scenes. The only other way of doing it, would to be able to play a male replacement of him and as if he didn't exist in this version of the setting with everything else more or less the same( you have the same powers as him etc). But considering that Victor is already basically a male self insert character, I don't really see the point.
The plot literally doesn't work as a woman and anyone that came here from the series would expect the player character to be male for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

MK78

Modder
Dec 23, 2017
We don't mind that the demo has a torrent, but we do ask that people download the Demo from steam when it hits the store. The Demo will be free after tall, and we will need those analytics numbers! Please also join our discord to give feedback! Check bio for links.
It will be blocked in my country, because Valve suck's, but since it will be free i will check if i can get it via SteamDB.

Koozen

Apr 19, 2020

Sheesh, relax gamer. Half your criticism is the fact that certain dinos did not exist in the same era. And the other half is "Why play this when we have ARK". Yet Ark has T-rexes and Spino's co-existing. Mount and Blade Warband has its historical faults too, yet we don't see your average cave-dweller ripping the game apart for those reasons.

Criticism is fair and valid. But to dig into it on this level just makes you look like you haven't seen the sun for months at least. Get a grip Bob

moze99

Aug 26, 2021
Okay.. I'll break this down.. keep in mind I only read until book 7 or so? The other people have commented on just the general jackbaggery of the post. Let's be honest; the company behind ARK are almost as big of douche-waffles as Star Citizen's Cloud Imperium Games, so let's not hold them up on a pedestal.

He's not a cop. The "chick" whichever one it was wouldn't know, since they don't fully know at any point I've read, though there is a suspicion which has some merit to it in the later books. Those dumped into this place would probably think they are being left to be eaten or die. Another has also pointed out the dinosaur era gripe you have nand the hypocrisy of touting Ark while ignoring the same issue is present there.

There are other men. Book 1 has Victor meet some men before he meets any of the girls. Going in depth about specifics would probably be a spoiler.

It's as it says on the tin. It's an ability. Not just knowing how to domesticate a beast. Telling more would get into spoilers territory.

I'd imagine they want a narrative experience.. which ARK doesn't have. Some people may not want to endorse ARK's developer's greed. I'd refund my copy of ARK if I could with all the shenanigans they have been pulling over the years.

Edit: I enjoyed the story while I read it.. eventually it felt a bit same-y for the explicit scenes and it felt like I'd skip past that stuff and basically have a novel that was only 66% or less of the pages (I know it is likely a better number, but it felt like a slog at times). I'd not say MSE is a terrible author.. I'd say he's one with potential. When I last read one of his novels.. Maybe a year after his Amazon departure (4 or 6 years ago?) I felt he was average to good, with potential to be great though it seemed he wouldn't grow out of that. He may have grown as a writer and I hope he did. Maybe I'll pick something up to test the waters again, but it won't be soon.

Last edited:

KaltesHerz

Jun 11, 2021
victor was an animal control agent. before he was taken he was actually in the process of capturing a snake at a pool party

every character in the book has a unique talent either unique to their race or their personality. In Victor's case, because he was good with animals on Earth so he got the taming ability in the alternate whatsit

ou'll have to ask specifically if you want spoilers

NinjaNamedBob

May 3, 2018
Okay.. I'll break this down.. keep in mind I only read until book 7 or so? The other people have commented on just the general jackbaggery of the post. Let's be honest; the company behind ARK are almost as big of douche-waffles as Star Citizen's Cloud Imperium Games, so let's not hold them up on a pedestal.
I didn't play ARK long. Didn't care enough to. You'll note that I didn't put anyone on a pedestal, but simply pointed out that if someone wants sex and dinosaurs, it exists already. This un-optimized mess doesn't need to be praised blindly by people with no standards.

He's not a cop. The "chick" whichever one it was wouldn't know, since they don't fully know at any point I've read, though there is a suspicion which has some merit to it in the later books. Those dumped into this place would probably think they are being left to be eaten or die. Another has also pointed out the dinosaur era gripe you have nand the hypocrisy of touting Ark while ignoring the same issue is present there.
I have no issue with inconsistencies in things like specific era difference that would separate two species if the contents of the media is good. Jurassic Park also fumbled a lot of things about dinosaurs that we knew back when it came out, and the first movie is still considered a work of art by many. To quote some wise movie cinema critics, "if the sum of something is bad, it's a lot easier to point to the little things that might not have mattered much if it was better." Basically, you can call me a hypocrite, but that doesn't make me wrong. It just means you never had an actual argument.

There are other men. Book 1 has Victor meet some men before he meets any of the girls. Going in depth about specifics would probably be a spoiler.
I've never seen something so vapid and devoid of value, and I've watched MovieBob's content.

It's as it says on the tin. It's an ability. Not just knowing how to domesticate a beast. Telling more would get into spoilers territory.
No, it's called competent world-building. In Mushoku Tensei, we learn the basics of magic in that world from the first episode. In An Echo of Things to Come, Augurs are named and explained before chapter 5. You can explain your magic system early in your story if you're not a chalk-snorting idiot.

I'd imagine they want a narrative experience.. which ARK doesn't have. Some people may not want to endorse ARK's developer's greed. I'd refund my copy of ARK if I could with all the shenanigans they have been pulling over the years.
The writing is not good for a narrative experience. The line reads are incredibly cringe, and that's being kind. The way people have been talking about the books, the writing is incredibly juvenile and smacks of someone who has never interacted with a female before, and that trailer confirms it for me. If that's how low someone's standards are, I'd be telling them to consider never interacting with media again. They can't be trusted to form a valid opinion.

Edit: I enjoyed the story while I read it.. eventually it felt a bit same-y for the explicit scenes and it felt like I'd skip past that stuff and basically have a novel that was only 66% or less of the pages (I know it is likely a better number, but it felt like a slog at times). I'd not say MSE is a terrible author.. I'd say he's one with potential. When I last read one of his novels.. Maybe a year after his Amazon departure (4 or 6 years ago?) I felt he was average to good, with potential to be great though it seemed he wouldn't grow out of that. He may have grown as a writer and I hope he did. Maybe I'll pick something up to test the waters again, but it won't be soon.
An author with potential improves over time. The fact that the dialogue in the trailer sounds so bad, and that he presumably hired people to voice those lines, it tells me that he hasn't improved. For a bit of perspective, the writer of Shield Hero has stated he hated the Turtle arc and that he regrets it. SAO's writer has noticeably improved with the other series he penned, and has stated that SAO was his weakest work. A good author knows where their earlier works failed and even finds faults in parts that are clearly weaker than others. It's not unreasonable for an author to, during the adaptation process, change certain things to make the story more focused and engaging. Stephen King has famously been present during the filming of his book adaptations and changed things, for better and for worse.

I don't see the potential. I see as his one fan meetup.

moze99

Aug 26, 2021
I didn't play ARK long. Didn't care enough to. You'll note that I didn't put anyone on a pedestal, but simply pointed out that if someone wants sex and dinosaurs, it exists already. This un-optimized mess doesn't need to be praised blindly by people with no standards.

I have no issue with inconsistencies in things like specific era difference that would separate two species if the contents of the media is good. Jurassic Park also fumbled a lot of things about dinosaurs that we knew back when it came out, and the first movie is still considered a work of art by many. To quote some wise movie cinema critics, "if the sum of something is bad, it's a lot easier to point to the little things that might not have mattered much if it was better." Basically, you can call me a hypocrite, but that doesn't make me wrong. It just means you never had an actual argument.

I've never seen something so vapid and devoid of value, and I've watched MovieBob's content.

No, it's called competent world-building. In Mushoku Tensei, we learn the basics of magic in that world from the first episode. In An Echo of Things to Come, Augurs are named and explained before chapter 5. You can explain your magic system early in your story if you're not a chalk-snorting idiot.

The writing is not good for a narrative experience. The line reads are incredibly cringe, and that's being kind. The way people have been talking about the books, the writing is incredibly juvenile and smacks of someone who has never interacted with a female before, and that trailer confirms it for me. If that's how low someone's standards are, I'd be telling them to consider never interacting with media again. They can't be trusted to form a valid opinion.

An author with potential improves over time. The fact that the dialogue in the trailer sounds so bad, and that he presumably hired people to voice those lines, it tells me that he hasn't improved. For a bit of perspective, the writer of Shield Hero has stated he hated the Turtle arc and that he regrets it. SAO's writer has noticeably improved with the other series he penned, and has stated that SAO was his weakest work. A good author knows where their earlier works failed and even finds faults in parts that are clearly weaker than others. It's not unreasonable for an author to, during the adaptation process, change certain things to make the story more focused and engaging. Stephen King has famously been present during the filming of his book adaptations and changed things, for better and for worse.

I don't see the potential. I see as his one fan meetup.
Chopping it all up at this point will make this stupidly long, so lemme hit a few bits.. I'll be jumping around a little bit it seems.

I've never been to or even bothered to look at his meetups. Honestly, I'd never go. I'm part of his facebook group from back when I still followed him actively and I basically muted it at some point. It's very odd to me in regards to the amount of ego-stroking the folks give over there. I feel his fan base is one of the reasons he's not matured into a better author. Those last two sentences took me about 5 minutes to word in a way that isn't overtly offensive, partly because I'm an asshole and partly because it literally is young(ish) minded men basically congratulating him for adding to their wankbank. I also find it equally as odd when the female narrators for books in the haremlit genre get the creepy fans who do the same. Some of those narrators also voice adult audio specifically for that purpose, however to me I feel there's a split between that and audiobook work.

I'm able to forgive an indie project being unoptimized to a degree. Most people tend to do so as well. Renpy as a whole is a mess in that regard. Many titles here have uncompressed images or video.. or just tank framerates. I can't point to a specific title, but I know for a fact several have had memory leaks if you dive into some of the much older titles.

But really, I don't think the "Dinosaurs and Sex" niche, if you want to call it that, has any real entries. Ark definitely isn't one of those, a nude patch didn't make Tomb Raider into basically Spelunky Anal Explorations.

This part will be multiple paragraphs, probably.

As for the world building, many stories, especially in this genre don't spell out the entire world systems in the first couple of lines. If this game follows the books remotely.. you should have a pretty good basic definition of what skills entail at an early point. Again, I believe that is before he ever meets the girls. Or it might be pretty close to the first half of the first book. I know he uses his skill unintentionally early on, but the more immediate concerns of security, food, and water take up most of his time at first. Which narratively is fine. You learn about the world and the system as he does while he tests and speculates.

Requiring an author serve up all the details and mystery when the characters know nothing of it would ruin stories where a character is yanked out of their element. You'll see this in Cultivation Isekai novels quite often. You see it in authors of all stripes honestly. World acclaimed authors like Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and, yes, even your example of Stephen King (Who I feel is a bit of a hack most of the time, sorry but I feel burned when I bought The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon) don't explain it all out the gate.

As for this title, or rather this game, I may check it out when it fully releases. I don't tend to deal with betas or alphas. I realize the jank inherent to pre-release test builds.

TLDR:

I think most people's issue with your post isn't that you simply didn't like the product, it's that a lot of your gripes are.. I wouldn't say "Bad".. but sorta made in a bad manner or very weak since you are seeing a very small slice of the story I imagine and from the sounds of it the demo doesn't start at the very beginning of said story. That form of vertical slice can give bad impressions, I'll admit.

Let me number these cuz I'll circle back:
1) You did bang on about species not living near each other or in the same time period.
2) You complained about everything not being explained before the MC even learns anything about the world.
3) You did sorta lift up ARK onto a pedestal, and really no one (not even the dev or author I imagine) expect this little indy project to be better than ARK at being ARK. No one looks at all the RPGM games and says "Pfft.. Final Fantasy/Phantasy Star/Etc exist. So this must be shit."

As for 1 and 2 both those have a reason. The answer to the first was a theory with more and more evidence as the books go on. Even the MC makes note of some of your concerns there if I recall. The second is answered within book 1 pretty early and the characters' understanding of the system increases as time goes on, they even have a good hypothesis on why so many different races are about.

That's far more typing that I figured I'd do at 2 in the morning. I'm to bed.

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes