winterchill86

Apr 3, 2022
Welp, made this pixel Vanilux transformation folder off of a gif by paul robertson only to find out the mod function doesn't work in the current version. gonna put it here regardless to not feel like I wasted my time if anyone wants to do a full on replacement. Really hope you reinplement it and make a noob friendly gif adder
this makes me want a "video game" deck now

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah, not being able to access the file system is the real problem here. I had an idea that maybe you could just try and load stuff and just pick a different number if the loading failed, but never actually tried to implement it.
One idea I've had is to set the starting gif count to 0 for all cards that don't have special logic attached, and set an explore flag or something. Then you could try loading <num>a.mp4, and if that works (the size of the image is greater than 0 after a second or so) increment the gifcount by one. If it doesn't, then set the explore flag to 0, and then pick randomly from one of the previous as normal from then on. It means the first time round you'll see every gif in order, but from then on the order will be random.

In what passage is the card data saved? I might have a look at it.
It's all in game.html. The card stats are stored in "setup.cards" but the logic for assigning gifs are much further down (and for some reason repeated - once for story and another for single game).

Welp, made this pixel Vanilux transformation folder off of a gif by paul robertson only to find out the mod function doesn't work in the current version. gonna put it here regardless to not feel like I wasted my time if anyone wants to do a full on replacement. Really hope you reinplement it and make a noob friendly gif adder
I had a look at the mod section, yeah it's completely broken :(. In theory, if you rename the files from png to webp it will work, but I couldn't get it to work for me at all. If I ran the contents of the <script> section directly, it's fine, but it doesn't like when the game adds it itself. Weirdly though, I couldn't even type the letter a into any of the settings parts, so I think something else is fucked on my version of the game (which I have poked and prodded a fair bit).

Reactions: ninjahedgehog
Jun 24, 2018
Because I this game, and I don't want to see your work go to waste, and I want to see more like it too, I modded the game to support modded enemies only. Working on the html directly is rather painful, as it's all auto-generated and breaks easily, so I won't be looking at modding the player in the same way.

By default, despite what the readme says, images should be in webp format. I've added an option to change the format below the custom mod text field so you can still use png, but I recommend replacing the images with webp versions to remain consistent with the rest of the game.

Download the html and replace the original - keep a copy of the original as I make no guarantees to the quality of my edit.

Speaking of which, I've noticed a bug that causes the game to error playing the animal transformation. This happens after playing one round in classic or story, and happens on the online version too. I haven't seen other people mention it though, so I think something is royally fucked on my computer that curses this game. Even on a new install of the game, in a new browser, I get this error, but not if I play an unedited copy of the html I have :/
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I probably won't be continuing to mod in this way, the game has proven to be too weird on my machine now to reliably test changes. I don't think it's the dev's fault, I was poking at things I shouldn't have been, but while I'm getting these weird errors I'm not going to be able to change things in a useful way.

Reactions: Artiour

ninjahedgehog

Oct 23, 2018
I know nothing about coding and just a smidge on game development proccess But i honestly think leaving this game on HTML is a waste. It's clear that as it is right now, the code is too rigid and the scripts are prone to breaking. There has to be a better engine out there where a game like this can be made and be mod friendly.

Then again maybe that's the point of the sequel game?

Last edited:

subli

Jul 30, 2020
It's all in game.html. The card stats are stored in "setup.cards" but the logic for assigning gifs are much further down (and for some reason repeated - once for story and another for single game).
I think you misunderstood the question. I was asking which Twine passage the setup.cards array is created in.

smithsmithsmith

Aug 16, 2018
Speaking of which, I've noticed a bug that causes the game to error playing the animal transformation. This happens after playing one round in classic or story, and happens on the online version too. I haven't seen other people mention it though, so I think something is royally fucked on my computer that curses this game. Even on a new install of the game, in a new browser, I get this error, but not if I play an unedited copy of the html I have :/
I've noticed this too, it seems to trigger for me whenever I refresh the buy piles either through ending the turn or any of the cards that trigger it. I can click ok and keep going but it's frustrating none the less and seems to completely break sandbox for any of the animal girl transformations.

ViviX12

Engaged Member
Jan 5, 2019
I know nothing about coding and just a smidge on game development proccess But i honestly think leaving this game on HTML is a waste. It's clear that as it is right now, the code is too rigid and the scripts are prone to breaking. There has to be a better engine out there where a game like this can be made and be mod friendly.

funnily enough, apollo did make another game with same mechanics on a different engine, though it's sfw

winterchill86

Apr 3, 2022

i was thinking this too but i dont know how much work it would be to dump everything into a new engine

Apollo Seven

Game Developer
Sep 15, 2018

The game as it is now in pretty much duck taped together. When I was initially developing The Monster Within I had planned to use the same engine and code to port over TF Card Battle as well but, and I know this is going to sound crazy on a piracy site like this, I didn't because in the end I don't own any of the card art. I'd much rather maintain The Monster Within which I own all the rights for everything in it than a TF Card Battle port that could be taken down at the stroke of a judge's pen. And I'm not commissioning art for all the cards, that would cost like $20,000 even if I cheap out.

I think you misunderstood the question. I was asking which Twine passage the setup.cards array is created in.
It's in the Javascript section, not in a passage.

Reactions: ViviX12 and DuniX

ninjahedgehog

Oct 23, 2018
Yeah i figured that's why you focused the development on monster within (and for the record I totally recommend it, great game.)

Just that if TF was ported over to a better engine, The community content would be alot of fun to see and contribute to

sammo905

Jun 28, 2018
it's possible to port the game without running the risk of being sued ,The work around is to build the game without any gifs or stolen art by leaving the cards and things blank and only having the card game system and game in the official build of the game. then you could have fan made image packs as well as unofficial recommended packs fill in the imageless game.

This solution would fix both the legal and modding issues, might be a pain to code though
if you require an example dungeon lord a new beginning slave pack system

Reactions: JHlevi94

Apollo Seven

Game Developer
Sep 15, 2018
it's possible to port the game without running the risk of being sued ,The work around is to build the game without any gifs or stolen art by leaving the cards and things blank and only having the card game system and game in the official build of the game. then you could have fan made image packs as well as unofficial recommended packs fill in the imageless game.

This solution would fix both the legal and modding issues, might be a pain to code though
if you require an example dungeon lord a new beginning slave pack system
Hmm, that's true. Well maybe after I finish The Monster Within I'll think about doing that. Strip out all the theming and build mod tools to let you make the community mod cards to whatever they want.

subli

Jul 30, 2020
I think, from looking at the code, that cleaning it up a bit could probably make the game quite a lot easier to develop. But if you're changing the way the game works behind the scene significantly then maybe you could just move to a new engine. I'm not sure what engine would be better though, what exactly is the limitation of using twine?

Edit: The cardList array seems like it's going to be an obstacle to modability, but it also doesn't really seem necessary. cardList[x] is always going to be "card"+x, so you can just use "card"+x instead, I think. I tried this by editing the deal passage from:
Code:
<<set $tmp = $deal[$i]>>
<<set $cardTmp = setup.cardList[$tmp]>>
<<set $card = setup.cards[$cardTmp]>>
to
Code:
<<set $tmp = $deal[$i]>>
<<set $card = setup.cards["card"+$tmp]>>
and it seemed to be able to deal cards just fine.

An even greater improvement would be to change setup.cards to be an array, rather than an object, in which case you could just do:
Code:
<<set $tmp = $deal[$i]>>
<<set $card = setup.cards[$tmp]>>

Last edited:

ninjahedgehog

Oct 23, 2018
In the case of legality for porting it over to the monster within engine, asian echii game developers have long used a loophole for steam. That being list an sfw version on steam then host an uncensoring patch off platform.

So If you let's say, finish monster within, then manage to make a blank base kit for modders (possibly as DLC) you can just host a tf port on your site as a mod.

Reactions: ViviX12 and DuniX

Apollo Seven

Game Developer
Sep 15, 2018
the title's enough to make me check it out immediately, I'll give you that
is it gonna have its own thread?
Presumably, but the mods have to do that, not me. If it doesn't show up in a few days I'll make a request. I hope you enjoy it.

Reactions: ViviX12
4.50 star(s) 57 Votes