• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

VN Ren'Py The Artist [Act One v0.1.1] [Grotslot]

4.50 star(s) 11 Votes

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
Based on chapter one's conclusion, I want to share my theories:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Grotslot I hope I'm right with at least a few of these. I'm so excited to see where you're going with it :)
The more I think about it, the more these make sense to me.
As for me, it sounds too far-fetched.

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
Linear, choices don't matter. :(
Currently, mostly yes. But there are flags being set, so the choices can still matter for future stuff.
You guys theorising over what's going on in the story warms my heart - exactly the response we were looking for :)
And hopefully we are all wrong. :D

Hildegardt

Oct 18, 2017
My personal tinfoil hat pet theory:
Ava is literally the woman inside Michael trying to come out, which is why she constantly tells him to be honest about what he wants.

The most likely theory imo:
Ava is Michael's muse. He looks at her like an artist, sees her in a deep way and puts what is inside her to the canvas. This probably sounds familiar, because it's exactly what Edith said to him (boom!). Ava is what Edith looks like to the artist's eye.
Now, what's not clear is, if Edith and Ava are the same person, or if the times when Michael seems to be the only person able to see Ava is his mind dealing with the fact that he doesn't like that Edith is old, which is why Ava constantly tells him to be honest about what he wants.

And also:
paintedblackwood - Copy.jpg
I see a red door and I want it painted black
No colours anymore, I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

Edith/Ava shows up in a summer dress to get painted, even though Ava wore something different three minutes earlier!

Last edited:

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
Ava is literally the woman inside Michael trying to come out, which is why she constantly tells him to be honest about what he wants.
I like that one.

I am starting to think if this has something to do with the act of painting, the brushes or even his paintings. Think The Picture of Dorian Gray, but some other effect of the painting. Maybe by painting he is giving Ava life? Just an embryo to an idea, not sure if it makes sense. :)

Blizzard99

Feb 11, 2021
You are making good points. Some comments:

I had totally forgotten about his lack of observational skills. That was a very good point.

The most likely theory imo:
Ava is Michael's muse. He looks at her like an artist, sees her in a deep way and puts what is inside her to the canvas. This probably sounds familiar, because it's exactly what Edith said to him (boom!). Ava is what Edith looks like to the artist's eye.
Now, what's not clear is, if Edith and Ava are the same person, or if the times when Michael seems to be the only person able to see Ava is his mind dealing with the fact that he doesn't like that Edith is old, which is why Ava constantly tells him to be honest about what he wants.

And also:
View attachment 2692405
I see a red door and I want it painted black
No colours anymore, I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

Edith/Ava shows up in a summer dress to get painted, even though Ava wore something different three minutes earlier!
Honestly, this is also an excellent idea. But, the reason why I didn't consider Edith = Ava is because of their lunch date and how the waitress had no reaction towards the person sitting opposite to our MC. Wouldn't this be a sign that Ava might not exist?

But, your theory gives me an even wilder theory.

I think your Muse theory is likelier, but without Edith's intentional involvement in it.

Honestly with regards to the different theories out there, the story is just in it's first day or so on the zone and we are having some wild theories. I can only imagine our collective minds being blown by the writing in the later chapters.

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
logical error Grotslot - at convo with Lily

Screenshot_1.png

my mc havent talked with samantha about this topic

and one grammar so far (i am impressed)

line 587
pt "I’ll let myself feel a bit jealous…just for the ride, then I can deal with my family…and I suddenly feel like I don’t want the ride to end even with how bad it makes me feel because I’m dann jealous."

dann -> damn

Grotslot

Game Developer
Apr 21, 2022
logical error Grotslot - at convo with Lily

View attachment 2692537

my mc havent talked with samantha about this topic

and one grammar so far (i am impressed)

line 587
pt "I’ll let myself feel a bit jealous…just for the ride, then I can deal with my family…and I suddenly feel like I don’t want the ride to end even with how bad it makes me feel because I’m dann jealous."

dann -> damn
Ooff, good spot! Will add it to the next round of fixes :) Dann proofreading - always miss something!

Hildegardt

Oct 18, 2017
I like that one.

I am starting to think if this has something to do with the act of painting, the brushes or even his paintings. Think The Picture of Dorian Gray, but some other effect of the painting. Maybe by painting he is giving Ava life? Just an embryo to an idea, not sure if it makes sense. :)
In terms of TV tropes it could be that Michael is an old soul and Edith is a young spirit. Like Michael is trying to settle down with the perfect partner and the older Edith in comparison is still enjoying life. When Michael paints what's inside of Edith and Ava appears on the canvas, maybe Ava literally looks like young Edith.

Honestly, this is also an excellent idea. But, the reason why I didn't consider Edith = Ava is because of their lunch date and how the waitress had no reaction towards the person sitting opposite to our MC. Wouldn't this be a sign that Ava might not exist?
I was more thinking like Michael isn't literally sitting in front of Edith imagining her as Ava, but the Ava he is imagining is still young Edith. It's his mind playing tricks, like "if only Edith was younger, wouldn't she be perfect like Ava?
But you're right, there are inconsistencies with this theory. If every time Michael tries to call Ava, Edith picks up, then who did he call to ask out on the lunch date? And also how did Edith know, where Michael lives?
But, your theory gives me an even wilder theory.

It's like how Robocop was obviously about identity struggles, but even more so after the director came out as trans years later.

Last edited:
4.50 star(s) 11 Votes